8$7,800,000
Trades
STL
  1. Backes, David
  2. Miller, Kevan
  3. 2019 1st round pick (BOS)
  4. 2020 1st round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
STL takes a cap dump and gets two future assets. Also a D swap included.

STL once acquired Schenn by trading Lehterä(cap dump) and two firsts to PHI, now they do it backwards with a different team in order to build their future.
BOS
  1. Bouwmeester, Jay ($1,080,000 retained)
  2. Schenn, Brayden
Additional Details:
BOS gets a great versatile forward and an experienced D.
STL
  1. Liljegren, Timothy
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
RFA William Nylander
TOR
  1. Fabbri, Robby
  2. Pietrangelo, Alex ($1,300,000 retained)
  3. 2019 5th round pick (STL)
STL
  1. 2020 6th round pick (VGK)
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. Perron, David
Additional Details:
Perron was great in VGK. They haven't started that well. Maybe they want him back?
STL
  1. 2019 4th round pick (WSH)
WSH
  1. Johnson, Chad ($750,000 retained)
STL
  1. 2019 5th round pick (DAL)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$64,586,821$150,988$232,500$14,913,179
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,350,000$5,350,000
LW
UFA - 3
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LW, RW, C
NTC
UFA - 3
$894,166$894,166
C, RW
UFA - 3
$7,800,000$7,800,000
RW
UFA - 6
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$875,000$875,000 (Performance Bonus$50,000$50K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RW
UFA - 1
$741,667$741,667
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 3
$722,500$722,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$847,500$847,500
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:26 a.m.
I’d take that.
justaBoss liked this.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:28 a.m.
I'll take the Bruins deal all day.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:34 a.m.
I think the value is pretty close on the Toronto deal...but I wonder if they'd pull the trigger without having an idea of what he's looking to re-sign for in a couple years.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:37 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Juice
I think the value is pretty close on the Toronto deal...but I wonder if they'd pull the trigger without having an idea of what he's looking to re-sign for in a couple years.

I assume you mean Pietrangelo by "he."

I don't believe re-signing him is a problem... Marleau's contract expires the same time, so they get the money for re-signing him from there I think.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:37 a.m.
Banned

The age difference between Nylander and Pietrangelo makes the value off. If you take it as a right now time stamp its fair, but if you look at this beyond right now, its a short sighted trade that eventually becomes a huge win for the Blues. TO doesn't need to make a move like that right now and it would be detrimental to the team 2-3 years down the road.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:39 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: BurgerBoss

I don't believe re-signing him is a problem... Marleau's contract expires the same time, so they get the money for re-signing him from there I think.

With Pietrangelo being an elite defenceman, he's going to want elite money and will be close to 30. Its a bad investment that will cause cap headaches. He is leaving his prime and will be looking to get paid for what he did during it.
TiBo23 liked this.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:40 a.m.
Who adds what?
If the Flames are offering either Hanifin and Anderson or Anderson, 1, 2, 3, for Holtby, the Caps grab Johnson without retention. Otherwise, Washington doesn't need goalies.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:41 a.m.

Yes. I meant Pietrangelo. It's probably why a guy like Parayko might be more valuable to them given his age and contract. But I think the Leafs are definitely a better team with Pietrangelo in the lineup vs Nylander
justaBoss liked this.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:41 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: LoganOllivier
With Pietrangelo being an elite defenceman, he's going to want elite money and will be close to 30. Its a bad investment that will cause cap headaches. He is leaving his prime and will be looking to get paid for what he did during it.

Doesn't that apply to pretty much every player on their prime in the league?
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:46 a.m.

Yes...that's kinda my point. I'd rather have Pietrangelo over Nylander...but he's 30 when his current deal expires in two years...and if he wants 8 years north of $8m (which he can likely land for 7yrs on the open market) then it's not a great long-term decision.

However legit #1 (especially RH) d-men are a lot more valuable than 20-goal wingers with promise. Signing Tavares put the leafs in a win-now window. So from that perspective, it makes this kind of deal more plausible
A_K liked this.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 10:59 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
If it was Parakyo I would take that deal.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 11:00 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Oh, I think the Leaf is brutally bad for the Leafs. Pietrangelo has just two years left on his deal, and Nylander five....even if he doesn't sign by December 1st, it's four years. Liljegren is expected to be a Leaf next year, when Haisney is gone. Now I don't think Nylander is a 7.8. player which is what the Burger Boss posted, but still that short term gain and the Leafs giving up Liljegren, way too much IMO.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 11:13 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: palhal
Oh, I think the Leaf is brutally bad for the Leafs. Pietrangelo has just two years left on his deal, and Nylander five....even if he doesn't sign by December 1st, it's four years. Liljegren is expected to be a Leaf next year, when Haisney is gone. Now I don't think Nylander is a 7.8. player which is what the Burger Boss posted, but still that short term gain and the Leafs giving up Liljegren, way too much IMO.

Can you form any sort of counteroffer then? Or is acquiring Pietrangelo the main issue why this doesn't work?
Nov. 21, 2018 at 11:16 a.m.
Interesting deal for Boston. I know Sweeney is a very big draft and develop guy and was disappointed he didn't have a first at the draft year due to the Nash deal. I think Sweeney would be more willing to offer up a few prospects (say Heinen + Zboril or Gryz)
Nov. 21, 2018 at 11:17 a.m.
Banned
Doesn't that apply to pretty much every player on their prime in the league?

No, McDavid will get his biggest contract during his prime not after. Its been proven again and again that getting the big money at the end of the prime or when a player is leaving their prime is a huge mistake.

Corey Perry is the best example of this but there are so many players who fall into this category and at some point teams will wise up and stop doing the same things that have caused people problems every single year. Doughty will get 11 million a year until he's 37, and he may not be worth that contract in year 1 let alone year 8.

Making this trade you are giving St Louis Nylander's prime and a highly touted right handed puck moving defenceman for a guy who's best hockey is likely behind him. Sure Pietrangelo is still a great player, but he won't be getting better as he moves past 30. That just doesn't happen anymore. Its a young mans game and paying old guys for their glory days is about as bad a move as one can make. Just look at LA!
Nov. 21, 2018 at 11:21 a.m.
Banned
Yes...that's kinda my point. I'd rather have Pietrangelo over Nylander...but he's 30 when his current deal expires in two years...and if he wants 8 years north of $8m (which he can likely land for 7yrs on the open market) then it's not a great long-term decision.

However legit #1 (especially RH) d-men are a lot more valuable than 20-goal wingers with promise. Signing Tavares put the leafs in a win-now window. So from that perspective, it makes this kind of deal more plausible

I don't think anyone can argue that a #1 Right handed defenceman is worth more than a 22 year old scoring winger, however, when you add the age difference into the calculations, it quickly flips the value when you take the long look at the deal. I completely disagree that Tavares puts them in a win now mode, since you also have Marner and Matthews under the age of 22 and Rielly only being 25. You have a very good young core to ride for the next 8 years. Why cause bigger payroll issues and sap potential cheap but effective players from the future, just to make an aesthetically pleasing move now?
Nov. 21, 2018 at 11:39 a.m.
What in tarnation
I don't think anyone can argue that a #1 Right handed defenceman is worth more than a 22 year old scoring winger, however, when you add the age difference into the calculations, it quickly flips the value when you take the long look at the deal. I completely disagree that Tavares puts them in a win now mode, since you also have Marner and Matthews under the age of 22 and Rielly only being 25. You have a very good young core to ride for the next 8 years. Why cause bigger payroll issues and sap potential cheap but effective players from the future, just to make an aesthetically pleasing move now?

I get the logic in the age issue... But with young players usually come also the inexperience. None of those star players you've mentioned have much of experience of playoffs... That also includes Tavares, since he hasn't really had any success in playoffs in NYI. In my opinion, trading one of the many young stars for an experienced player (doesn't have to be Pietrangelo) could work for you even better when the big games begin. In these situations, a player like Letang could be very valuable. Even more valuable than Nylander for example.
McFaksaGOAT liked this.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 11:47 a.m.
Banned
I get the logic in the age issue... But with young players usually come also the inexperience. None of those star players you've mentioned have much of experience of playoffs... That also includes Tavares, since he hasn't really had any success in playoffs in NYI. In my opinion, trading one of the many young stars for an experienced player (doesn't have to be Pietrangelo) could work for you even better when the big games begin. In these situations, a player like Letang could be very valuable. Even more valuable than Nylander for example.

Again only if you are looking at right now. Just look at the most successful teams over the past number of years and who carried them to victory? Chicago had Kane, Toews, Seabrook and Keith as their core and they evolved and found success. Having someone who can help lead them during the hard parts of the playoffs doesn't need to be an overpriced vet. Pietraneglo hasn't exactly had a lot of playoff success either. The belief that you need to bring in some over priced vet to lead you to the glory land just doesn't add up, its the stars that win when it counts, not depth players or old guys. Tavares has never had a good team so his playoff success is similar to Sundin, but Sundin had better teams around him.

I just don't see the need to trade Nylander for someone who is older, less valuable over the long term and more expensive than they are worth. I'd rather just keep him and have 4 lines that can just skate other teams to dust. There are teams that load up with super lines and then hope the rest of their lines can hang on just enough to let the top line outscore the opponents. TO doesn't have to do that and really, could be sending out Matthews or Tavares against 3rd lines every home game since they also have Kadri who can play against other teams top lines.

Weakening the forward corp for a short sighted upgrade on the blueline just seems like an over reaction for a problem this is hypothetical and really can't be proven until after the season.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 11:48 a.m.

The idea is that it's not just for current aesthetics. If you know Nylander is pushing for $8m long term (I think they bridge for 2yrs around $5-5.5m eventually)...would you rather give that to him or to a guy like Pieterangelo?

The trade, for me, depends a lot on how they rate Liljegren's development so far. If you can land a legit top pairing d-man under 30yrs old for Nylander + your best prospect (ignoring the picks exchanged and Fabbri for the moment), it's something that should be strongly considered. It's not a slam dunk deal by any means...but if the Leafs are skeptical about Liljegren progressing into a top pairing d-man in the next 5ish years, I'd personally pull the trigger. But again, if the sense is that AP will be looking for Doughty type money, I think the Leafs would be able to find a better fit on the blueline by dangling Nylander + Liljegren if front of other GM's
Nov. 21, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
Banned
The idea is that it's not just for current aesthetics. If you know Nylander is pushing for $8m long term (I think they bridge for 2yrs around $5-5.5m eventually)...would you rather give that to him or to a guy like Pieterangelo?

The trade, for me, depends a lot on how they rate Liljegren's development so far. If you can land a legit top pairing d-man under 30yrs old for Nylander + your best prospect (ignoring the picks exchanged and Fabbri for the moment), it's something that should be strongly considered. It's not a slam dunk deal by any means...but if the Leafs are skeptical about Liljegren progressing into a top pairing d-man in the next 5ish years, I'd personally pull the trigger. But again, if the sense is that AP will be looking for Doughty type money, I think the Leafs would be able to find a better fit on the blueline by dangling Nylander + Liljegren if front of other GM's

Without hesitating I would give money like that to Nylander over a 30 year old Pietrangelo. Nylander would earn the money at least. Pietrangelo with that contract would be an albatross and not that long. On top of that, Liljegren projects to be a 2nd pair or maybe even a #1 eventually and that is a cheap high end addition to a blue line that is supposed to be a weakness. Giving up both of those and then paying a 30 year old 8 million is just shooting your self in face with a long term bad contract.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Can you form any sort of counteroffer then? Or is acquiring Pietrangelo the main issue why this doesn't work?

I think Pietangelo is my main issue. How many great Dmen does St Louis supposedly have that are almost untradeable, a lot for near last place team? Apparently Pietrangelo hasn't been good this season.
And let's forget all this # 1 Dman nonsense. As long as the Leafs have Zaitsev and Hainsey playing the ride side this season, Pietrangelo just replaces Ozhignkov. And upgrade for sure but for the term of Nylander and the potential of Liljegren?
If Nylander and even Liljegren are on the trade table, I think the Leafs get better value elsewhere.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
Edited Nov. 21, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
Without hesitating I would give money like that to Nylander over a 30 year old Pietrangelo. Nylander would earn the money at least. Pietrangelo with that contract would be an albatross and not that long. On top of that, Liljegren projects to be a 2nd pair or maybe even a #1 eventually and that is a cheap high end addition to a blue line that is supposed to be a weakness. Giving up both of those and then paying a 30 year old 8 million is just shooting your self in face with a long term bad contract.

I guess it's just a difference in how we personally evaluate each of the players...which is fine..to each their own.

I will personally take a 28yr old #1 d-man that wears a C on his chest and hope he doesn't demand 7-8 years on an extension.

I'm also very skeptical on Liljegren. Certainly hope I'm wrong on him...but I'm more willing than most to part with him for proven talent. That's why I mentioned a lot of this hinges on how the coaching and management team that evaluates him day in and day out grade is progression. If they think there's a high probability of him being an effective top-4 d-man, then I agree, having that young, cheaper talent filling key roles is crucial.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 12:13 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
I think Pietangelo is my main issue. How many great Dmen does St Louis supposedly have that are almost untradeable, a lot for near last place team? Apparently Pietrangelo hasn't been good this season.
And let's forget all this # 1 Dman nonsense. As long as the Leafs have Zaitsev and Hainsey playing the ride side this season, Pietrangelo just replaces Ozhignkov. And upgrade for sure but for the term of Nylander and the potential of Liljegren?
If Nylander and even Liljegren are on the trade table, I think the Leafs get better value elsewhere.

Ya I respectfully disagree here to the first part. Adding AP bumps Hainsey and Zaitsev down a rung to more appropriate ice time/responsibility. It makes the D-group as a whole substantially better. Leafs were gargabe with Kadri and Bozak as their top two centremen...but add a true #1 in Matthews above them, and they slot down to lesser roles, making them more effective and the whole team better. I'm not suggesting that an AP will have the same impact on D than Matthews had to the offence...but I don't think it's fair to say Pieterangelo simply replaces Ozhiganov's role. You also don't trade these assets for a star player unless you see him as a long term fit, so can't devalue AP because he only has 2 years left....need to evaluate him on 2 years left at $6.5 and then 5+ years at whever he'll cost to re-sign.

I do agree that there is likely better fits for a D-trade..someone a few years younger that fits in with the rest of the core....but Leaf fans are not giving enough credit to the type of impact D-man AP is.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 12:22 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Ya I respectfully disagree here to the first part. Adding AP bumps Hainsey and Zaitsev down a rung to more appropriate ice time/responsibility. It makes the D-group as a whole substantially better. Leafs were gargabe with Kadri and Bozak as their top two centremen...but add a true #1 in Matthews above them, and they slot down to lesser roles, making them more effective and the whole team better. I'm not suggesting that an AP will have the same impact on D than Matthews had to the offence...but I don't think it's fair to say Pieterangelo simply replaces Ozhiganov's role. You also don't trade these assets for a star player unless you see him as a long term fit, so can't devalue AP because he only has 2 years left....need to evaluate him on 2 years left at $6.5 and then 5+ years at whever he'll cost to re-sign.

I do agree that there is likely better fits for a D-trade..someone a few years younger that fits in with the rest of the core....but Leaf fans are not giving enough credit to the type of impact D-man AP is.

I wouldn't base value on trading "hoping" a player resigns as UFA. I probably even want to sign Pietrangelo long term when his contract expires, he'll be 30 when current contract expires. Has he even regressed this year?
Maybe we see these Dmen possibilities tonight when the Leafs play the Canes.
Nov. 21, 2018 at 12:24 p.m.
Banned
I guess it's just a difference in how we personally evaluate each of the players...which is fine..to each their own.

I will personally take a 28yr old #1 d-man that wears a C on his chest and hope he doesn't demand 7-8 years on an extension.

I'm also very skeptical on Liljegren. Certainly hope I'm wrong on him...but I'm more willing than most to part with him for proven talent. That's why I mentioned a lot of this hinges on how the coaching and management team that evaluates him day in and day out grade is progression. If they think there's a high probability of him being an effective top-4 d-man, then I agree, having that young, cheaper talent filling key roles is crucial.

He's the top right handed guy on the Marlies as a 19 year old. And he's getting better each game. He's going to be very good, has unbelievable tools. Sandin as well is really impressive. The thing about proven talent is that the window for being a proven talent is a lot smaller than it used to be. You don't see many mid 30's players at the top of their respective positions. Its a young man's game and a proven 28 year has likely played his best hockey already. So you are buying high on an investment you know at best will remain the same for a couple of years before declining in value. Trading two players that will only get better for someone who will get worse is bad asset management. Of course if the Leafs were looking at their window closing soon, then perhaps you make a move like this, but currently that isn't the case so it makes little sense.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll