Created by: Juice
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 8, 2019
Published: Mar. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm going off a few assumptions...namely

a) Leafs and Marner will strike a deal between $9m-$11m depending on term

b) Dubas isn't going to trade Nylander. I just don't see it happening for cap purposes. If there was a 'knock your socks off' kind of offer for him that lands a #1 RHD...sure...but we don't have cap to facilitate that trade

c) Babcock and Nylander are comfortable moving forward with him at center. I like him better on Matthews' wing, but he wants to play C and it can justify moving out Kadri

I personally think Kadri has a lot of trade value. He's a proven 2C that can put up 30 goals, play with edge and is on a terrific contract. Keeping in mind the leafs are probably more interested in draft picks or promising players on ELC in return...who wants him and what can you offer?

With Brown...I'm not expecting a huge haul. An okay draft pick and/or maybe an AHL RHD man who's around 24 and might be able to battle for a bottom pairing job next year.

I accept the fact the Leafs won't be dealing from a position of strength, but interested to see what options are out there (particularly for Kadri)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
1$700,000
3$3,700,000
3$4,000,000
1$800,000
3$9,500,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$82,877,199$0$82,500$122,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,700,000$3,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 8, 2019 at 9:24 a.m.
I would do Fleury and our 2nd round pick from Buffalo for Kadri
Not sure if that would get accepted
Mar. 8, 2019 at 9:26 a.m.
There are a few trades on this board of Brown for a 3rd round pick.

I don't know what Kadri is worth, but there are quite a few teams out there looking for centers, so he could fetch a decent return.
Juice liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 9:32 a.m.
Quoting: canesfan
I would do Fleury and our 2nd round pick from Buffalo for Kadri
Not sure if that would get accepted

Not a bad offer. Not sure if the leafs would want another left handed d-man...but I think it's the type of player that could be a target. I'd see them preferring Adam Fox (with permission to talk and sign him)over Fleury but I wouldn't be disappointed in this package given the need to move out cap.
canesfan liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 9:32 a.m.
MNBassman
I'll give you #1 RHD Jared Spurgeon and retain 1/2 his salary plus young RHD prospect Louie Belpidio for Kadri and Zaitzev.
CD282 and Juice liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 9:36 a.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
I'll give you #1 RHD Jared Spurgeon and retain 1/2 his salary plus young RHD prospect Louie Belpidio for Kadri and Zaitzev.

That could be very interesting.
MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 9:37 a.m.
Quoting: MNBassman

Haha, I knew it wouldn't take long for MN fans to show up here!

That's a pretty solid offer... it clears $6.5M cap for next year, too.
Juice, MNBassman and capsin9 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 9:43 a.m.
Quoting: Juice
Not a bad offer. Not sure if the leafs would want another left handed d-man...but I think it's the type of player that could be a target. I'd see them preferring Adam Fox (with permission to talk and sign him)over Fleury but I wouldn't be disappointed in this package given the need to move out cap.

I could see it being Fox and a 3rd or something if we can't sign him
Juice and capsin9 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 9:48 a.m.
Kings v5 GM
it would be nice to get a defenseman but without kadri our center depth is pretty weak. matthews hasnt been very good with kappy and johnny on his wing for the past 10ish games. He needs someone who is able to open up space and make a good pass for him to shoot it. I like nylander at center but he is much better on matthews wing and makes matthews so much better. If we could get a good playmaker/passer back or if bracco is able to play with matthews then i think trading kadri would work is we got someone on a good contract like pesce, pullock or add some extra pieces to get parayko(even though i dont think stl would want to give him up)
NR1203 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 10:05 a.m.
Banned
Kadri to Dallas for a 2nd, Janmark, and Honka
Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:09 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: jonesryan
Kadri to Dallas for a 2nd, Janmark, and Honka

Doesn’t make sense for the leafs to make this trade at all.

Kadri is the best player in the deal. His cap of 4.5m would be the reason the leafs would want to trade him.

Janmark qualifying offer would need to be more than 2.6m. Let’s say 2.75 million just to have a number to work with. Then you have Honka who is due for a contract also so let’s say he makes a million. You add a 2nd round pick which is pretty good. So you trade a guy who makes your teams center depth deadly for 2 guys who aren’t bad but aren’t going to add anything close to what kadri does to save 750k-1m? Doesn’t make sense at all.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:11 a.m.
Banned
That could be very interesting.

That’s almost the perfect offer. Solves the issues that need addressed assuming nylander can plays 3c
Juice liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:38 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: capsin9
Doesn’t make sense for the leafs to make this trade at all.

Kadri is the best player in the deal. His cap of 4.5m would be the reason the leafs would want to trade him.

Janmark qualifying offer would need to be more than 2.6m. Let’s say 2.75 million just to have a number to work with. Then you have Honka who is due for a contract also so let’s say he makes a million. You add a 2nd round pick which is pretty good. So you trade a guy who makes your teams center depth deadly for 2 guys who aren’t bad but aren’t going to add anything close to what kadri does to save 750k-1m? Doesn’t make sense at all.

Actually it does make sense. They don't have to give Janmark a qualifying offer. Trade for him before July 1 and sign him to a new deal without the qualifying offer. He's struggled offensively this year and won't get anywhere near his qualifying offer of $2.3M. He'll probably come in around $1.5-$1.8M. He still has some potential and is a speedy guy so a change of scenery could help him. Honka won't cost much as he's barely cracked the NHL to date, and is more of a potential piece than anything. Say he gets the rookie max of $925K, between the two players coming in that's approximately $2.6M total, so Toronto actually saves nearly $1.9M in cap. So yes that's worth it. You've also got to taken into account that no matter what Kadri's value actually is, Toronto won't get that because teams know they have to move players to get under the cap for next season. So expecting anything much more probably wouldn't happen unless some GM is doing Dubas a huge favour
Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:48 a.m.
Actually it does make sense. They don't have to give Janmark a qualifying offer. Trade for him before July 1 and sign him to a new deal without the qualifying offer. He's struggled offensively this year and won't get anywhere near his qualifying offer of $2.3M. He'll probably come in around $1.5-$1.8M. He still has some potential and is a speedy guy so a change of scenery could help him. Honka won't cost much as he's barely cracked the NHL to date, and is more of a potential piece than anything. Say he gets the rookie max of $925K, between the two players coming in that's approximately $2.6M total, so Toronto actually saves nearly $1.9M in cap. So yes that's worth it. You've also got to taken into account that no matter what Kadri's value actually is, Toronto won't get that because teams know they have to move players to get under the cap for next season. So expecting anything much more probably wouldn't happen unless some GM is doing Dubas a huge favour

I don't think it's as much a matter of team's doing Toronto a favour...but whether it's Kadri, Kapanen, Nylander, Brown...these guys have value that more than one GM would be interested in picking up so it'll come down to what the demand is like. A 2C making $4.5m should garner enough interest for Dubas to not have to settle for a poor return. I could be wrong..but I think the leafs could do better
capsin9 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:56 a.m.
Banned

Correct me if I’m wrong but if you fail to sign him to a qualifing offer he becomes a ufa and can sign with whoever he wants for whatever wants. Just from a player POV I don’t see why he subjects himself to a lesser dollar amount.

Now I think Dallas makes sense as a trade partner but I would aim for like a faksa and a 2nd. I think he would fit great into the Toronto system and he has term. I think kadri has a bunch of value and teams will get desperate and bid over him
Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:56 a.m.
Banned
I don't think it's as much a matter of team's doing Toronto a favour...but whether it's Kadri, Kapanen, Nylander, Brown...these guys have value that more than one GM would be interested in picking up so it'll come down to what the demand is like. A 2C making $4.5m should garner enough interest for Dubas to not have to settle for a poor return. I could be wrong..but I think the leafs could do better

I agree think he’s going to get a big return
Mar. 8, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
In Pridham we trust

I agree, seeing as there is a pretty steep drop-off in UFA centre quality after Duchene and Hayes (I'm assuming Nelson re-signs). The next tier includes Thornton, Spezza, Johnsson and Filpulla.
Juice liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 2:58 p.m.
I think one thing that can't be underestimated is how much Kadri means to the team. I think trading him would be a tough sell to the locker room more than anything. It makes more sense to clear room by trading Zaitsev & Brown and replacing them with players making money near the league minimum. I understand that a 3rd line centre making $4.5 Mil per year is a luxury the Leafs can't really afford but Kadri should be the last option.
Juice liked this.
Mar. 8, 2019 at 3:39 p.m.
Quoting: superbrett
I think one thing that can't be underestimated is how much Kadri means to the team. I think trading him would be a tough sell to the locker room more than anything. It makes more sense to clear room by trading Zaitsev & Brown and replacing them with players making money near the league minimum. I understand that a 3rd line centre making $4.5 Mil per year is a luxury the Leafs can't really afford but Kadri should be the last option.

I can appreciate this opinion. Up until about a month ago I felt the exact same way. I still have no desire to trade away kadri...but if you look at a deal like the one suggested here from Minnesota, it helps put the team in a much better position.

My problem was, every time I tried to create a team and moving a guy with salary for a good, cheap defenceman, it never created enough room....and if you have to move another piece to get under the cap...that's now two major pieces moved out.

And simply moving Zaitsev and Brown creates a big hole on D.

So if there's team's out there that like Kadri enough (and don't hate Zaitsev enough) to want to take both on and give us a proven top 4 RHD man in the process, I think the team as a whole gets better...and it appears to clear enough cap space to pony up for Marner and get him locked down for 8 years instead of bridging now.

It might not be the best option...but it's always fun to play around with different scenarios and I appreciate the feedback from this thread...gives me a couple ideas to rattle around with until this offseason comes around

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll