Forums/Armchair-GM

Trade Marner Open Invitation

Created by: blowing_the_zone
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 29, 2019
Published: Apr. 29, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So, here's the skinny. LoganOllivier and I have had some debate on the possibility of Marner being traded if his contract demands become unreasonable.

We seem to have landed on agreeing that no 1 player is irreplaceable, with the recognition that neither of us want to lose Marner.

For the record, Logan appears to be pretty adamant that the Leafs lose any trade that includes Marner, while I hold to the belief that no one player equals team success, regardless of how good any one player might be. I submit McJesus as evidence to that claim..

So, this Agm kinda acts as an open invitation to anyone who wants to throw in their 2 cents on what trades might be out there that the leafs would consider if Marner refuses to budge from AM money, and he forces the Leafs hand.

*Note - I'm sure there will be no shortage of takers for Mitch given how many posters seem to agree that Marner = 12M!

A nod goes out to DirtyDangles for sparking this idea with a trade that he suggested for Marner that I've posted below as an example to hopefully get some dialogue going..

*Note of caution... this AGM is being posted with the full realization that CapFriendly is just a game, and that it holds no bearing on what will shake out in the real world.

Hope to see some reasonable trade examples and reasoned debate and discussion. Thanks.

Also... the best trade example gets 2 pieces of bubblegum. 1 from me and 1 from Logan...
Trades
TOR
  1. Gaudreau, Johnny
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. Marner, Mitchell [RFA Rights]
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
17$83,000,000$69,502,199$0$82,500$13,497,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:31 p.m.
wpg
Flames would never do that... even 1 on 1, it's pretty even in value
but gaudreau gets 6.75m and marner north of 10?
ChiHawk and blowing_the_zone liked this.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:32 p.m.
why would the flames do this? they double their cap hit for no reason.... flames dont get any better..
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:35 p.m.
Maybe CGY doesn't a 1 for 1 swap, but they definitely don't add a pick.pretty comparable players. Marner is younger, But I'd still give Gaudreau the edge, and he's making like 4 million less per season.
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:38 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyFan989

Hmm.. that's a good question.. Maybe Marner isn't worth north of 10? Let alone AM money..
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:39 p.m.
I personally don't see a trade happening. How would one be willing to offer TO something that would make sense for them back and why would a team offer such good "right now" assets for a Marner....kind of lateral so it defeats the purpose.

I think an offer sheet is the best option where a team going all in, only loses draft picks (4 firsts) rather than a team like Cgy losing Gaudreau to get Marner....I mean that is arguably not an upgrade but a lateral move in which CGY now has to pay more money for a player who is just as good as Gaudreau is..... I don't see a scenario where a team offers the Leafs the value they want. Four 1sts seems to be the pinnacle of value for a player but it will depend on whether Marner lets it get that far.....

I truly think Marner will milk this situation as long as he can, while he can, but eventually will just accept that true "best offer" Dubas can offer him because he knows TO literally can't do any better. As long as Dubas gets to that true offer eventually, Marner will sign it. I believe that is around 9.5-9.75M. I think if Dubas pushes too much to get it under 8.5 approx, Marner than may start to consider offer sheets because I think in all fairness, that is a low ball offer and Dubas knows it.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:40 p.m.
Marner>gaudreau. If I were Calgary I’d make that trade everyday of the week
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: HockeyFan989

Gaudreau will demand over 10 on his next contract regardless of whether or not he ever figures out how to not completely disappear in the playoffs. Also as mentioned above, I call this trade a loss for TO. Marner is the better player and he is 3 years younger and hasn't yet hit his peak while its likely that Gaudreau is right now at his absolute best.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:46 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Maybe CGY doesn't a 1 for 1 swap, but they definitely don't add a pick.pretty comparable players. Marner is younger, But I'd still give Gaudreau the edge, and he's making like 4 million less per season.

How many points does Gaurdreau have in the playoffs in his career?
MJ87 and Tkachuckyyy liked this.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:47 p.m.
Edited Apr. 29, 2019 at 7:34 p.m.
Gaudreau is one of the best team contracts in the league for a top 10 forward in the league. Marner, also a top 10 forward in the league is going to need a new contract obviously and will paid as such. Any team in the league, given the current situation right now, will take Gaudreau every single time over Marner if given their choice for this reason.

Some Leafs homer fans will argue Marner is a better player and some Calgary fans will argue Johnny Hockey is a better player; the reality is both are impossible to prove (somewhat different players) and they are both top 10 forwards in the league; one will cost a lot more then the other. Marner has more upside, sure, but Marner hasn't accomplished the point production of Johnny yet nor the goal production. Bottom line...it's a mood point; johnny g is one of the best team friendly contracts in the league period...any team would love to have his contract.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:48 p.m.
Edited Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:55 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
How many points does Gaurdreau have in the playoffs in his career?

20 games and 12 points; 20 games 17 points for Marner.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:49 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: F50marco
I personally don't see a trade happening. How would one be willing to offer TO something that would make sense for them back and why would a team offer such good "right now" assets for a Marner....kind of lateral so it defeats the purpose.

I think an offer sheet is the best option where a team going all in, only loses draft picks (4 firsts) rather than a team like Cgy losing Gaudreau to get Marner....I mean that is arguably not an upgrade but a lateral move in which CGY now has to pay more money for a player who is just as good as Gaudreau is..... I don't see a scenario where a team offers the Leafs the value they want. Four 1sts seems to be the pinnacle of value for a player but it will depend on whether Marner lets it get that far.....

I truly think Marner will milk this situation as long as he can, while he can, but eventually will just accept that true "best offer" Dubas can offer him because he knows TO literally can't do any better. As long as Dubas gets to that true offer eventually, Marner will sign it. I believe that is around 9.5-9.75M. I think if Dubas pushes too much to get it under 8.5 approx, Marner than may start to consider offer sheets because I think in all fairness, that is a low ball offer and Dubas knows it.

My guess is it'll be a 7-8 year deal and around 10-10.5 which I am totally fine with. If he keeps getting better, 10.5 for all his prime years is completely fine.
junoandkeisha liked this.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.

I think this is pretty spot on, Marco. And that all the bluster on Marner being worth AM money is just that... bluster. And a bluff.

I also think that an OS for Marner is super unlikely. And if the OS isn't a real threat, and other teams aren't willing to buy into the Marner =12M! narrative... well, then Marner is likely to come in at his league comparables. Under 10M on a long term deal.

I don't think Marner has near the leverage that guys like Dreger would like us to believe..
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
#LeafsFever
The conclusions you've made are terribly wrong. Leafs aren't trading Marner. Even if they were to trade Marner, then would not trade him for Johnny Gaudreau. Furthermore, trading Marner would be a major fail for the the GM, President and the entire management staff.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:52 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ChiHawk
20 games and 12 points; same as Marner.

What happened to him? He went from 9 points in 11 games when the Flames weren't supposed to be anything to absolute nothing when they are supposed to be good. Eitherway, I look at him and then imagine him playing against Boston next spring and does anyone honestly think he'll perform better than Marner does against Boston? Also Marner has 17 points in 20 games including 13 in the past 14 games against Boston in the playoffs.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:52 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe

Huberdeau ekblad for marner zaitzev and last two first rounder dman
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:53 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MG1986
The conclusions you've made are terribly wrong. Leafs aren't trading Marner. Even if they were to trade Marner, then would not trade him for Johnny Gaudreau. Furthermore, trading Marner would be a major fail for the the GM, President and the entire management staff.

Yup! Dubas would have to massively misplay this to any of this mess happen.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:54 p.m.
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
I think this is pretty spot on, Marco. And that all the bluster on Marner being worth AM money is just that... bluster. And a bluff.

I also think that an OS for Marner is super unlikely. And if the OS isn't a real threat, and other teams aren't willing to buy into the Marner =12M! narrative... well, then Marner is likely to come in at his league comparables. Under 10M on a long term deal.

I don't think Marner has near the leverage that guys like Dreger would like us to believe..

On a long term deal, Leafs could get lucky and get Marner for $9.5M, it's not out of the cards. It's also not out of the cards to put a case together as to why Marner should get $11.5M. The reality is, a $10M or 10.5M deal for long term is fair value for both sides. At $9.5M, the Leafs win, at $11M+ Marner wins. Either way, Johnny G is worth more in trade value due his low cap hit today.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:55 p.m.

I think an offer sheet is possible. Just that its not a guarantee Marner accepts it. it'll come down Dubas not ******** around and giving Marner a "true" best offer. If Dubas beats around the bush with his offer because he is incorporating Kap and Johnsson, than maybe Marners agent tells him to not sign them then. problem solved.

Its a tricky situation because I think Marner just wants Dubas to get to a number that is fair but will ultimately make him have to make hard decisions elsewhere.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:57 p.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
Huberdeau ekblad for marner zaitzev and last two first rounder dman

Who says Florida wants that? Huberdeau is already putting up Marner points and Ekblad is one of there cornerstones. They are trying to win now. That doesn't make them better IMO.
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:57 p.m.
Quoting: MG1986

The conclusion I've made is that Marner isn't worth AM money and he won't be paid as such. That the whole approach from Marner's camp is a negotiation tactic that will likely deflate rather quickly when the two sides need to actually sit and discuss a contract.

That said, I'm amazed at the Marner = 12M! narrative and how leafs have no choice but to pay him that. No they don't.

And if he really is worth that kinda quid then I would expect all sorts of trade offers from smart tuned in hockey minds here on Capfriendly that would be happy to take him.. I doubt very much that we see many of them. But if teams/people really want him at/think he's worth that money, then the leafs should let him go, use the cap space they gain, plus the trade assets they get and keep moving forward.. they'd be a better team for it.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:59 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
My guess is it'll be a 7-8 year deal and around 10-10.5 which I am totally fine with. If he keeps getting better, 10.5 for all his prime years is completely fine.

I agree. In all honesty, just pay the man. Make cuts elsewhere. Kap,Johnsson, Kadri etc etca re all replaceable to a certain extent. Marner is irreplaceable. Always keep your stars. Depth has a way of fixing itself out. Superstars are just too rare.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 4:59 p.m.
I think an offer sheet is possible. Just that its not a guarantee Marner accepts it. it'll come down Dubas not ******** around and giving Marner a "true" best offer. If Dubas beats around the bush with his offer because he is incorporating Kap and Johnsson, than maybe Marners agent tells him to not sign them then. problem solved.

Its a tricky situation because I think Marner just wants Dubas to get to a number that is fair but will ultimately make him have to make hard decisions elsewhere.

Couldn't agree more.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Who says Florida wants that? Huberdeau is already putting up Marner points and Ekblad is one of there cornerstones. They are trying to win now. That doesn't make them better IMO.

I think ekblad contract could turn scary with noggin issues, get Florida out from under some term to throw a bunch more out, I personally wouldn’t do that deal if I’m Florida, but just attempting the assignment of trading marner.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 5:04 p.m.
The conclusion I've made is that Marner isn't worth AM money and he won't be paid as such. That the whole approach from Marner's camp is a negotiation tactic that will likely deflate rather quickly when the two sides need to actually sit and discuss a contract.

That said, I'm amazed at the Marner = 12M! narrative and how leafs have no choice but to pay him that. No they don't.

And if he really is worth that kinda quid then I would expect all sorts of trade offers from smart tuned in hockey minds here on Capfriendly that would be happy to take him.. I doubt very much that we see many of them. But if teams/people really want him at/think he's worth that money, then the leafs should let him go, use the cap space they gain, plus the trade assets they get and keep moving forward.. they'd be a better team for it.

Toronto would be stupid to give up Marner. Teams would be stupid to trade for him until we know what happens with Panarin. Both need a big contract but one is a RFA and one a UFA. Panarin and Marner will be in the same price range. Personally I'd take Panarin over Marner but they are damn close and wouldn't be surprised is Marner and his agent are waiting to see what Panarin's contract looks like.
Apr. 29, 2019 at 5:04 p.m.
TWO pieces of bubblegum? Oh, BOY! rock on

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll