SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Andreas Johnsson (4 Years / $3,400,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 29, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
That's b/c Kadri got suspended when he dished out his one big hit! It's about sustained physicality and being tough to play against. CBJ steamrolled Tampa because of physicality, not b/c of talent. They were the best offensive team in the league that everyone picked to win it all. And they got dropped in 4 straight and it wasn't even close at any point after the 2nd period of game 1. I realize your point that there are always exceptions to every rule, but it's a different game in the playoffs.

I do agree that Playoff hockey is played and called differently, but the Leafs did have more sustained physicality than Boston. Boston basically won the series in game two taking cheap shots that weren't called and suckering Kadri into making a boneheaded hit. However, it was easily the closest series on paper, and it ended up the closest first round series, a bounce could have changed it.

My point is that all players hit more in the playoffs, including ones that aren't typically physical, case in point, Auston Matthews has more than half as many hits in 20 career playoff games as he does in 200 regular season games.

Teams get labeled as more physical when they win. It's a perception that has followed the bruins despite them being a middle of the pack team in terms of physicality. They won, and they used to be more physical, but they aren't anymore. Washington wasn't considered an overly physical team (despite being pretty physical), but then they win and it's all anyone can talk about. Chicago and Pittburgh were not physical teams at all.

What wins, is assembling a good core, and keeping them together while avoiding pitfall contracts and trades while continuously finding value to supplement that core. None of the recent winner loaded up for one or two good runs, all of them had years of being extremely competitive and then things finally broke their way.
Brian2016 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 7:04 p.m.
Quoting: vmach
Yes, your team can't make it out of first round and I feel butthurt LOL. Typical leaf fans ay.

There is cream to help with your condition mate.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 7:18 p.m.
TOR will be even more top-heavy next season unless they can get big time contributions from rookies.

Since 2016-17:

47G = Tavares
40G = Matthews
32G = Kadri
26G = Marner
22G = Nylander
21G = Hyman
20G = Johnsson
20G = Kapanen
20G = Brown
20G = Rielly

Ten 20+ goal scorers is top heavy to you?

There are teams with 1-2 over that span my dude.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 7:35 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenks
There is cream to help with your condition mate.

Thankfully yes, and you condition is incurable mate.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 8:06 p.m.
Since 2016-17:

47G = Tavares
40G = Matthews
32G = Kadri
26G = Marner
22G = Nylander
21G = Hyman
20G = Johnsson
20G = Kapanen
20G = Brown
20G = Rielly

My dude, you, like most TOR fans have no idea what it takes to win a Cup, understandably so.

Scoring goals in regular season doesn't mean sh*t. Speed is important, but are you using that speed to score goals? or you using this speed to Forecheck and Backcheck?
Penguins were relentless in D, plus their forwards were relentless all 4 lines, forechecking and backchecking. Plus you have leadership and respect on that team. TOR has no such thing, you got bunch of individuals who worry about their contracts. You have hardheaded egomaniac behind the bench and you got an idiot for a GM.

How do you not sign your future, your two superstars at the same time, for the same term and with same salary? (ala Toews and Kane). How do you let Nylander situation get out of hand, either pay him or trade him. How do you bring Tavares when you have to sign your young superstars? Why bring Marleau, how many cups did he win? Why Marner isn't signed before AM? and why he is not a Captain? CHI gave Toews his C when he was like 19 years old and he grew into it? Tavares came and got an A, why? I think if Marner has any brain he will leave TOR, not to punish them, but rather to save them.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 8:25 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Matthews = Without a doubt the greatest Mexican hockey player of all time ... and not just because I can't name number 2.

Scott Gomez. Both his parents were born in Mexico. Not saying Gomez is better than Matthews, but Gomez did get a real sweet UFA deal before falling a cliff.
drewjenks liked this.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 8:29 p.m.
Quoting: Laudan
Pathetic comeback

Who are they ? Can you tag them ?

Well that didn't take long to respond to your pathetic post...first 4 Leafs fans I looked at and 3 had teams this month (prior to the media releasing the estimates) with Johnsson below $3M. Don't do this to yourself...it's too easy Laudan

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1196088
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1209147
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1237758
Jun. 29, 2019 at 8:35 p.m.
Since 2016-17:

47G = Tavares
40G = Matthews
32G = Kadri
26G = Marner
22G = Nylander
21G = Hyman
20G = Johnsson
20G = Kapanen
20G = Brown
20G = Rielly

My dude, where were those guys when it mattered most? BOS held their top line in check and Nylander & co. were M.I.A. Kadri, Nylander, Kapanen, Brown, and Hyman, combined for a grand total of 9 points in 7 games vs. BOS. That's not exactly gonna win in the playoffs. Anyone can pile up points against the likes of BUF and OTT during the regular season.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 9:30 p.m.
My dude, where were those guys when it mattered most? BOS held their top line in check and Nylander & co. were M.I.A. Kadri, Nylander, Kapanen, Brown, and Hyman, combined for a grand total of 9 points in 7 games vs. BOS. That's not exactly gonna win in the playoffs. Anyone can pile up points against the likes of BUF and OTT during the regular season.

7 Game Sample Size.

I LOVE IT

Kadri with 2 points in 2 games? May as well throw him in too.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 9:32 p.m.
My dude, you, like most TOR fans have no idea what it takes to win a Cup, understandably so.

Scoring goals in regular season doesn't mean sh*t. Speed is important, but are you using that speed to score goals? or you using this speed to Forecheck and Backcheck?
Penguins were relentless in D, plus their forwards were relentless all 4 lines, forechecking and backchecking. Plus you have leadership and respect on that team. TOR has no such thing, you got bunch of individuals who worry about their contracts. You have hardheaded egomaniac behind the bench and you got an idiot for a GM.

How do you not sign your future, your two superstars at the same time, for the same term and with same salary? (ala Toews and Kane). How do you let Nylander situation get out of hand, either pay him or trade him. How do you bring Tavares when you have to sign your young superstars? Why bring Marleau, how many cups did he win? Why Marner isn't signed before AM? and why he is not a Captain? CHI gave Toews his C when he was like 19 years old and he grew into it? Tavares came and got an A, why? I think if Marner has any brain he will leave TOR, not to punish them, but rather to save them.

Amazing analysis.

Players gotta work hard to win.

My life has changed.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 9:33 p.m.
Thankfully yes, and you condition is incurable mate.

Thanks for reminding me dude ... you try living with MS.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 9:56 p.m.
I don't give a rats a** how you feel, I'm not your shrink. But I think your are due for a visit.
Lay on a couch and tell him/her how your Leafs will be great next year with Hainsey, etc... etc...

(yes, I'm jealous, my team won 3 SC last 9 year, and you will never win one with $40M tied in top 4F)
Kind regards,

Nylander is the most overrated/overpaid player in the league. How many other teams are paying 3rd line Forwards $7M AAV? The same team is about to pay Marner $11M AAV for 26 goals.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 9:56 p.m.
Edited Jun. 30, 2019 at 12:09 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Well that didn't take long to respond to your pathetic post...first 4 Leafs fans I looked at and 3 had teams this month (prior to the media releasing the estimates) with Johnsson below $3M. Don't do this to yourself...it's too easy Laudan

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1196088
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1209147
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1237758

Hopeless

$$ / Term, in all three simulations....think again....like talking to the wall....
Jun. 30, 2019 at 12:31 a.m.
Quoting: Laudan
Hopeless

$$ / Term, in all three simulations....think again....like talking to the wall....

Because the extra year is worth $600K more each year...lmao you're such a homer
Aug. 30, 2021 at 12:02 p.m.
lottery team fan
i voted no

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit