SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Andreas Johnsson (4 Years / $3,400,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 28, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
Quoting: ThatGuy
That escalated quickly laugh

"This Guy" escalates quickly.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 4:18 p.m.
Quoting: vmach
wow, excellent. The only problem you need like 3 good D to even be competitive, so at least $6-8 mil need to be spend there.

Rielly - TBD
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Dermott - Rosen

Sandin - Liljegren
Borgman - Holl

It's more like 1 ... and if they sign Hainsey for $2 million they'll be no worse off than last year ...

With Liljegren and Sandin knocking on the door.
Random2152 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenks

Rielly - TBD
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Dermott - Rosen

Sandin - Liljegren
Borgman - Holl

It's more like 1 ... and if they sign Hainsey for $2 million they'll be no worse off than last year ...

With Liljegren and Sandin knocking on the door.

Lol, yes, good luck next year. And you need 1RHD, those are cheap now a days. and you need like 23 roaster. And a back-up goalie, ideally.
If only GM had a bit more confidence in his youth, they would have been a contender next year and for the next 5. But no, he had to sign Tavares. LOL Bring Sharp from retirement, put some skates on him, put him next to Marner, he will score 30 for you. Why do you need 40+? You need D, badly
Jun. 28, 2019 at 5:09 p.m.
Lol, yes, good luck next year. And you need 1RHD, those are cheap now a days. and you need like 23 roaster. And a back-up goalie, ideally.
If only GM had a bit more confidence in his youth, they would have been a contender next year and for the next 5. But no, he had to sign Tavares. LOL Bring Sharp from retirement, put some skates on him, put him next to Marner, he will score 30 for you. Why do you need 40+? You need D, badly

the butthurt is real in this one....
drewjenks, Random2152 and oneX liked this.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 5:17 p.m.

The D core looks pretty good - it will look great if they trade for a solid RD.

I can't help but notice you're acting a bit pathetic here ... is it's jealousy?

No worries though ... I feel pity not anger.
Random2152 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 5:20 p.m.
Quoting: Laudan

That booty is STRETCHED wider than a Babcock breakout hushed
Random2152 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 5:21 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I still just don't see this team as being very competitive in the playoffs. They still lack so much on the backend. They're obviously one of the elite offensive teams in the league, but you can't outscore your way to the Cup. Every single year we learn how difficult and different the playoffs are from the regular season.

Tampa has had the same problems. You're not gonna win playoff games 6-5. And this Leafs team, as presently constructed, will not win deep into the playoffs. They'll never win the big 1-0 game or 2-1 in 2OT game. They're too soft, undisciplined, and I know I'll get heat for saying this: poorly coached by Mike Babcock.

Pittsburgh did it two years in a row ma dude.
Random2152 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 5:40 p.m.
Pittsburgh did it two years in a row ma dude.

No. PIT was way, way better defensively throughout their lineup than TOR. Didn't they SO NSH in the clinching game? They were also far more physical. TOR will never win in the playoffs being so top heavy. Remember how much depth scoring PIT got? HBK line was lights out. TBL has the same problem as TOR. It's a very different game in the postseason and certain teams just aren't built for it. It's a speed game during the regular season and a grind-it-out physical depth game in the playoffs. It happens every time, w/o exception.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 6:03 p.m.
Banned
The deal is fine, the problem is the cap situation is not going away.
They have to move at least 2 players.
So you take out $4,500,000 for NZ and 2.1 for Brown and you are still at 13.5 million. But now you still need 2 forwards, and 3 defense men. but with Marner being at least 10.6, you only have 3 million. Something has to give there. Even if 2 forwards and 1 defense man are on rookie deals you are looking at roughly 1 million for 2 defense men. Good luck with that.
So someone else is going to be traded.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 6:38 p.m.
I actually voted no on this deal. Doesn't buy up enough UFA years IMO. When it expires he is a UFA
Jun. 28, 2019 at 6:47 p.m.
Nazaleaf
Quoting: pharrow
So you take out $4,500,000 for NZ and 2.1 for Brown and you are still at 13.5 million. But now you still need 2 forwards, and 3 defense men. but with Marner being at least 10.6, you only have 3 million. Something has to give there. Even if 2 forwards and 1 defense man are on rookie deals you are looking at roughly 1 million for 2 defense men. Good luck with that.

You missed the 5.3 mill added when Horton is put on LTIR.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 7:12 p.m.

6,9M in the pot
5,3M Horton LTIR
2,1M Brown on the block

14,34M for 5 players, where 4 of them are 2 fourth liners and 2 scratches for League minimum. Think again.....
Jun. 28, 2019 at 7:31 p.m.
Banned
6,9M in the pot
5,3M Horton LTIR
2,1M Brown on the block

14,34M for 5 players, where 4 of them are 2 fourth liners and 2 scratches for League minimum. Think again.....

lets use your number 10.6 minimum for marner. so you are down to 3.7 roughly. You are looking at 2 forwards, even at league minimum you are at 2.3 million.
you need a 7th defense, that's down to around 1.6 for a defense man of decent quality to play. Good luck.

Quoting: thelastlongbow
You missed the 5.3 mill added when Horton is put on LTIR.

There is 5.3 million here, but even adding it, it's 6.3 million for 2 defense men. In a league where there is never enough defense.
It's also assuming you can spend to the cap, aka no money for call ups. You are really looking at around 5.5 million roughly for 2 defense men.
That's with Holl playing 3rd pairing. So then you need to find a 1st and 2nd pairing defender with roughly a 2.75 million average.
Lets be honest about how that isn't going to work.
Lindgren is not NHL caliber to fill at top 2 role and everyone else is a LHD and you'd have people trying to play the year out of position which frankly, is not a good solution because it will slow the offense down when they can't do a simple point to point pass.

The only way this works out is if they clear more cap space.
Even if you signed Hainsey to another year, which would be a mistake, it's not going to create the kind of space to sign a legit 1RHD.
If you keep NZ, you have 1 million to sign a 2RHD with NZ playing the 1st pairing.

It's not hard to see a move has to be made here.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 7:34 p.m.
lets use your number 10.6 minimum for marner. so you are down to 3.7 roughly. You are looking at 2 forwards, even at league minimum you are at 2.3 million.
you need a 7th defense, that's down to around 1.6 for a defense man of decent quality to play. Good luck.

For your eyes only : https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/244639
Jun. 28, 2019 at 7:45 p.m.
No. PIT was way, way better defensively throughout their lineup than TOR. Didn't they SO NSH in the clinching game? They were also far more physical. TOR will never win in the playoffs being so top heavy. Remember how much depth scoring PIT got? HBK line was lights out. TBL has the same problem as TOR. It's a very different game in the postseason and certain teams just aren't built for it. It's a speed game during the regular season and a grind-it-out physical depth game in the playoffs. It happens every time, w/o exception.

My guy Ron Hainsey was their number 1 D for one of those wins ... their whole D core was injured all playoffs.

Fact check me.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 10:33 p.m.
I still just don't see this team as being very competitive in the playoffs. They still lack so much on the backend. They're obviously one of the elite offensive teams in the league, but you can't outscore your way to the Cup. Every single year we learn how difficult and different the playoffs are from the regular season.

Tampa has had the same problems. You're not gonna win playoff games 6-5. And this Leafs team, as presently constructed, will not win deep into the playoffs. They'll never win the big 1-0 game or 2-1 in 2OT game. They're too soft, undisciplined, and I know I'll get heat for saying this: poorly coached by Mike Babcock.

Can't win with offensive powerhouses in the playoffs? I don't see anybody removing those 3 penguins titles from the cup.
Jun. 28, 2019 at 10:36 p.m.

Pittsburgh was not great on the back end or overly physical. That's revisionist history. Teams do hit more in the playoffs but Harding hitting teams don't really have an advantage. Case in point, Toronto out hit the big bad bruins this year. Didn't help.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 12:08 a.m.
Quoting: Danny12357
Pittsburgh was not great on the back end or overly physical. That's revisionist history. Teams do hit more in the playoffs but Harding hitting teams don't really have an advantage. Case in point, Toronto out hit the big bad bruins this year. Didn't help.

That's b/c Kadri got suspended when he dished out his one big hit! It's about sustained physicality and being tough to play against. CBJ steamrolled Tampa because of physicality, not b/c of talent. They were the best offensive team in the league that everyone picked to win it all. And they got dropped in 4 straight and it wasn't even close at any point after the 2nd period of game 1. I realize your point that there are always exceptions to every rule, but it's a different game in the playoffs.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 12:14 a.m.
My guy Ron Hainsey was their number 1 D for one of those wins ... their whole D core was injured all playoffs.

Fact check me.

If they were more physical maybe they wouldn't all have been injured in the playoffs!!! TOR will be even more top-heavy next season unless they can get big time contributions from rookies. Because right now they're on pace to spend about $60M on forwards-far more than any other team in the league.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 1:20 a.m.
Quoting: ThatGuy
is 600k really the difference between a good contract and a bad contract?

I dunno big guy. What does the cap say?
Good signing.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 9:36 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Scott Gomez...

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fs3fs-public%2F2014%2F04%2Ftorres2.jpg&w=1000&q=70
Jun. 29, 2019 at 10:52 a.m.

Yes, your team can't make it out of first round and I feel butthurt LOL. Typical leaf fans ay.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 10:56 a.m.
The D core looks pretty good - it will look great if they trade for a solid RD.

I can't help but notice you're acting a bit pathetic here ... is it's jealousy?

No worries though ... I feel pity not anger.

I don't give a rats a** how you feel, I'm not your shrink. But I think your are due for a visit.
Lay on a couch and tell him/her how your Leafs will be great next year with Hainsey, etc... etc...

(yes, I'm jealous, my team won 3 SC last 9 year, and you will never win one with $40M tied in top 4F)
Kind regards,
Brian2016 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
Where are all the Leafs fans thinking he would sign for under $3M?
Jun. 29, 2019 at 4:37 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Where are all the Leafs fans thinking he would sign for under $3M?

Pathetic comeback

Who are they ? Can you tag them ?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit