Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander to Rangers next summer

Created by: palhal
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 23, 2019
Published: Dec. 23, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Many Rangers seem enthralled by Nylander and I believe he can be an effective centre. Leafs get a need Dman and a goalie who can prove or not he worth of a # 1 if Andersson leaves the following summer. Smith might be handy guy to play defence and help with the transition of the two rookies. Leaf have wingers to fill Johnsson's spot. Rangers get a cheaper replacement of Kreider plus so cap relief.
Smith added to the Leafs more for cap reasons for the Rangers. He's a Toronto boy, so maybe he might like a shot at the hometown Cup and immortality as a Leaf. (I know there are questions if he is "good enough."
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$4,250,000
4$2,000,000
3$1,250,000
4$3,250,000
2$1,200,000
4$4,750,000
2$1,675,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$1,800,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Andersson, Lias
  2. Deangelo, Anthony [RFA Rights]
  3. Georgiev, Alexandar [RFA Rights]
  4. Smith, Brendan
Additional Details:
2nd round pick 2021
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$83,569,916$0$1,250,000-$69,916
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,675,000$1,675,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 23, 2019 at 1:45 p.m.
why trade georgiev? He is your top prospect goaltender, big henrik is getting old, you will have to trade or sign a free agent more than his value. Yeah nylander should be nice in your team but wait, kappo kakko will pis very very nice!
Dec. 23, 2019 at 1:45 p.m.
Such a bad trade for the Leafs.

Johnson has value. Nylander is an elite player. And everybody else than DeAngelo is more a maybe than real contributors at nhl level. Also, Why would you have a 7th Dman who makes 4.35m per year. This is almost enough to resign Muzzin who is actually playing well. Dermott also never deserves 4.25m per year yet. I mean he is not really a top 4 D at the moment.

So your trade is more or less Nylandr and Johnsson for DeAngelo? would never make that trade
Dec. 23, 2019 at 1:50 p.m.
DaBus
Quoting: Mtlstanleyin2072
why trade georgiev? He is your top prospect goaltender, big henrik is getting old, you will have to trade or sign a free agent more than his value. Yeah nylander should be nice in your team but wait, kappo kakko will pis very very nice!

Because the Rangers have Shesterkien in the minors
palhal and Marincin_memes liked this.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 1:52 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Dec. 23, 2019 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: Gordon_Bombay
Such a bad trade for the Leafs.

Johnson has value. Nylander is an elite player. And everybody else than DeAngelo is more a maybe than real contributors at nhl level. Also, Why would you have a 7th Dman who makes 4.35m per year. This is almost enough to resign Muzzin who is actually playing well. Dermott also never deserves 4.25m per year yet. I mean he is not really a top 4 D at the moment.

So your trade is more or less Nylandr and Johnsson for DeAngelo? would never make that trade

I'll disagree on Dermot. It's getting ahead of the curve when he will get more money in the future if he just signed to a short term contract. Every Dman this Dermot plays is a better player.
Sorry I'm one Leaf fan who does not consider Nylander an elite player. He's a 60 point guy. Good but not elite. I know points aren't everything but Dman Deangelo and Nylander are on pace to score the exact same amount points this season.
And no the trade is not Nylander and Johnsson for DeAngelo. You must of misread that Georgiev, who just might be a replacement for the Leafs Andersson the following season and an second rounder were included and the iffy Hartword Whaler Andersson.
Yea, I might not want Smith, but Rangers have cap issues too, so something has to be done. I like Muzzin but I don't know if I want him long term, and he might get such a contract elsewhere.
Mtlstanleyin2072 liked this.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
I'll disagree on Dermot. It's getting ahead of the curve when he will get more money in the future if he just signed to a short term contract. Every Dman this Dermot plays is a better player.
Sorry I'm one Leaf fan who does not consider Nylander an elite player. He's a 60 point guy. Good but not elite. I know point aren't everything but Dman Deangelo and Nylander are on pace to score the exact same amount points this season

Agreed. Deangelo and Nylander are pretty close in value. And considering that Deangelo is probably going to be about 2 mil cheaper, I'm not sure you need to add much to Deangelo to get Nylander. Maybe a mid round pick.

Thus the trade looks like Georgiev + 2nd + Lias + Smith for Johansson, which I don't have to tell you is pretty crazy.

I think if you drop Georgiev entirely, the trade is actually pretty even.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
Quoting: DaBus

Yeah but georgiov has demontrate that he can plays in nhl. Not Shestwrkien. if you want a goaltender we have one for you! keith kinkaid for a 6th its not bad? haha
Dec. 23, 2019 at 1:59 p.m.
DaBus
Yeah but georgiov has demontrate that he can plays in nhl. Not Shestwrkien. if you want a goaltender we have one for you! keith kinkaid for a 6th its not bad? haha

Georgiev is the better goalie now, while Shesterkin has a higher ceiling. His KHL numbers were insane and he has good AHL stats this year. He is only 23 and this is his first season in North America.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 1:59 p.m.
So, who will you keep and let go in your def if you sign deangelo?
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:03 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Sagecoll
Agreed. Deangelo and Nylander are pretty close in value. And considering that Deangelo is probably going to be about 2 mil cheaper, I'm not sure you need to add much to Deangelo to get Nylander. Maybe a mid round pick.

Thus the trade looks like Georgiev + 2nd + Lias + Smith for Johansson, which I don't have to tell you is pretty crazy.

Thanks for commenting.

I think if you drop Georgiev entirely, the trade is actually pretty even.

Certainly Johnsson is worth more that 2nd, a point in 17 game sJohnsson and a semi cap dump in Smith.

Yep, I can see it, so many Leafs think Nylander is elite and the trade ain't good and Rangers fans (for good reason) think Georgiev and Deangelo are long term good NHLers. Such is CapFriendly.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:05 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
So, who will you keep and let go in your def if you sign deangelo?

Didn't let anyone go. Barrie, Ceci and Muzzin are all UFAs, they aren't Leafs "to let go" Replaced with DeAngelo, and two rookies Liljegren and Sandin plus Smith
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:07 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: DaBus

The guy with 0 NHL starts on his resume? The guy who's waivers exempt for this season and next, which is how much longer they have Lundqvist?
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:07 p.m.
Didn't let anyone go. Barrie, Ceci and Muzzin are all UFAs, they aren't Leafs "to let go" Replaced with DeAngelo, and two rookies Liljegren and Sandin plus Smith

I like it. Pretty good rookies
palhal liked this.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:11 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I like it. Pretty good rookies

Even if a trade like this doesn't happen, it sure looks like the Leafs are depending on Liljegren and Sandin to be NHLer next season. Reilly and RFA Dermot are the only two NHLers that can be depended to return to the Leafs. Holl is a UFA and Leafs would want to resign him but of course it's a players choice as UFA. Then two more spots...so I added Deangelo and Smith.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:18 p.m.
Even if a trade like this doesn't happen, it sure looks like the Leafs are depending on Liljegren and Sandin to be NHLer next season. Reilly and RFA Dermot are the only two NHLers that can be depended to return to the Leafs. Holl is a UFA and Leafs would want to resign him but of course it's a players choice as UFA. Then two more spots...so I added Deangelo and Smith.[/quote

If you are sure that you will lose barrie, toronto should trade him. if not, and you dont win a playoff round your trade will be verry bad for him.. But if at trade deadline you can have a pick or a good prospect and take deangelo after that will be interesting.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:21 p.m.
Certainly Johnsson is worth more that 2nd, a point in 17 game sJohnsson and a semi cap dump in Smith.

Yep, I can see it, so many Leafs think Nylander is elite and the trade ain't good and Rangers fans (for good reason) think Georgiev and Deangelo are long term good NHLers. Such is CapFriendly.

Andersson's 17 game season was spent entirely next to Michael Haley and Brendan Smith as a F playing 7 mins a night. It's not the same as being a 4th liner in Toronto that's for sure haha. I'd think his past 2 years of being a .56 pts/gm player on one of the AHL's worst scoring rosters is more indicative of his offensive ability. And he was a top PKer for the Rangers when he was here. Value-wise he's in Bracco territory.

I like Johnsson, in the same way I like Vlad Namestnikov. They're very similar in their production. You might disagree, but I don't really believe a .5 pt/gm player who has spent the vast majority of his career playing next to Matthews and/or Nylander is worth significantly more than a 2nd + Lias + Smith
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:24 p.m.
Banned
Sorry I'm one Leaf fan who does not consider Nylander an elite player. He's a 60 point guy. Good but not elite. I know points aren't everything but Dman Deangelo and Nylander are on pace to score the exact same amount points this season.
And no the trade is not Nylander and Johnsson for DeAngelo. You must of misread that Georgiev, who just might be a replacement for the Leafs Andersson the following season and an second rounder were included and the iffy Hartword Whaler Andersson.
Yea, I might not want Smith, but Rangers have cap issues too, so something has to be done. I like Muzzin but I don't know if I want him long term, and he might get such a contract elsewhere.

Nylander is in the top 10 in scoring chance generation at 5v5. He may not get the points most elite players get but he also has until recently never gotten a tonne of PP time. Too many people see a soft floater who doesn't get as many points as others but he's usually ahead of a pile of top end guys at 5v5 points which skews everything. Nylander needs to increase his desire and intensity, no question, however, to say he isn't elite is only looking at his point totals and ignoring everything else. If he had the same PP opportunities as Pastrnak for example, their production would be a lot closer than it currently is. Nylander was chronically under utilized by Babs and that has given him a bad rep that will hard for him to shake. Proper PP usage and more mintues and his numbers will rise well beyond 60 points. It could be much higher if he increased his intensity as well.

With all that said, this trade is not good. Nylander is the best player and I think it could be a toss up between Johnsson and Deangelo. So TO is giving up 2 of the best 3 in this trade for a fairly good offensive defenceman who is young and a bunch of spare parts. I'd rather just keep what we have and move Johnsson for something else.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:26 p.m.
tomato
I dont hate this trade proposal. If everything is ideal than it could work out to be a good trade. The ifs are if Andersson becomes a middle six guy after some developement with the marlies, if Georgiev is able to maintain his .915-.918 save percentage, and if DeAngelo can play top pair. If all of those were guaranteed i wouldn't hate this proposal, i just wouldn't want to risk 1 or 2 of those not happening. If they all panned out i wouldn't mind taking on smiths 1 year at 4.35 because it would only be for 1 year leaving room for Dubas to do something with that cap space the following year, plus he would be a servicable defensemen to have while addings two rookies to what is most likely the bottom pair.

What makes me hesitant to trade Nylander is the fact that i think he fits well with Matthews. Of course in your scenario Marner has been moved up with Matthews but i would rather leave Marner with Tavares as Tavares gets into his 30s and have prime time Marner compensating for a most likely slightly declining Tavares. ideally i want the RW depth to keep Kapanen as a third liner where i think he fits best.

As for the signings i think you are a bit to high on Cap and/or length for most. I would prefer to bridge Dermott at around 2.5 for 2-3 years rather than sign him to a 6 year deal. I don't see how he has earned 4.25 M a season. i do think he could be worth that soon but having been glued to the third pair for his career so far he hasn't had he opportunity to show he can be worth that. id rather the extra couple million in cal flexibility over a couple years with him on a bridge and then if warranted sign him to a long term deal when hes 25-26 years old so his third contract doesn't take him into his late 30s.

For Engvall i would do a deal just like Moore got. Maybe bump it to a mil. as a 7th rounder hes basically in the same position as Moore who was undrafted. He had little hope of making the NHL so a couple guaranteed million just to ensure he gets paid even if he doesn't make the roster, which i think is pretty much guaranteed(especially in your trade scenario where we get rid of two top wingers). 2 x 1M. Lets him play in the line up and progress and put up point for a bigger potential payday and i think he would take it. Ditto with Timashov except id try to get him to sign league min. Gauthier id offer league min to as well as his position on the team has been shaky. Hopefully Spezza would take league min again too, i think he would if we manage to make the playoffs and contend. wow i wrote a lot.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Sagecoll
Andersson's 17 game season was spent entirely next to Michael Haley and Brendan Smith as a F playing 7 mins a night. It's not the same as being a 4th liner in Toronto that's for sure haha. I'd think his past 2 years of being a .56 pts/gm player on one of the AHL's worst scoring rosters is more indicative of his offensive ability. And he was a top PKer for the Rangers when he was here. Value-wise he's in Bracco territory.

I like Johnsson, in the same way I like Vlad Namestnikov. They're very similar in their production. You might disagree, but I don't really believe a .5 pt/gm player who has spent the vast majority of his career playing next to Matthews and/or Nylander is worth significantly more than a 2nd + Lias + Smith

I don't know where come up with Johnsson playing the majority of career is Matthews and /or Nylander. Hyman Matthews and Nylander has been a pretty consistent Leaf line for a few years, except on the PP where Hyman was replaced with Kadri or Tavares.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: tomato43
I dont hate this trade proposal. If everything is ideal than it could work out to be a good trade. The ifs are if Andersson becomes a middle six guy after some developement with the marlies, if Georgiev is able to maintain his .915-.918 save percentage, and if DeAngelo can play top pair. If all of those were guaranteed i wouldn't hate this proposal, i just wouldn't want to risk 1 or 2 of those not happening. If they all panned out i wouldn't mind taking on smiths 1 year at 4.35 because it would only be for 1 year leaving room for Dubas to do something with that cap space the following year, plus he would be a servicable defensemen to have while addings two rookies to what is most likely the bottom pair.

What makes me hesitant to trade Nylander is the fact that i think he fits well with Matthews. Of course in your scenario Marner has been moved up with Matthews but i would rather leave Marner with Tavares as Tavares gets into his 30s and have prime time Marner compensating for a most likely slightly declining Tavares. ideally i want the RW depth to keep Kapanen as a third liner where i think he fits best.

As for the signings i think you are a bit to high on Cap and/or length for most. I would prefer to bridge Dermott at around 2.5 for 2-3 years rather than sign him to a 6 year deal. I don't see how he has earned 4.25 M a season. i do think he could be worth that soon but having been glued to the third pair for his career so far he hasn't had he opportunity to show he can be worth that. id rather the extra couple million in cal flexibility over a couple years with him on a bridge and then if warranted sign him to a long term deal when hes 25-26 years old so his third contract doesn't take him into his late 30s.

For Engvall i would do a deal just like Moore got. Maybe bump it to a mil. as a 7th rounder hes basically in the same position as Moore who was undrafted. He had little hope of making the NHL so a couple guaranteed million just to ensure he gets paid even if he doesn't make the roster, which i think is pretty much guaranteed(especially in your trade scenario where we get rid of two top wingers). 2 x 1M. Lets him play in the line up and progress and put up point for a bigger potential payday and i think he would take it. Ditto with Timashov except id try to get him to sign league min. Gauthier id offer league min to as well as his position on the team has been shaky. Hopefully Spezza would take league min again too, i think he would if we manage to make the playoffs and contend. wow i wrote a lot.

I deliberately was maybe a bit generous on term and $$$. But I didn't want to look like a "homer" where the top guys get paid so much that the bottom end players. IMO I would rather give some guys too much so you can lock them up for longer period if you are 95% they are going to hold their value.
One trouble with league minimum for some of these guys, is they can walk be signed by other teams with no compensation.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 2:52 p.m.
I don't know where come up with Johnsson playing the majority of career is Matthews and /or Nylander. Hyman Matthews and Nylander has been a pretty consistent Leaf line for a few years, except on the PP where Hyman was replaced with Kadri or Tavares.

...this year Johnsson has spent 93% of his ice time with Matthews and 84% of his ice time with Nylander. Last year Johnsson spent 50% of his ice time with Matthews. Over the course of his entire career, Johnsson has spent 60% of it playing with Matthews.
tomato43 liked this.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
This is pretty decent overall, the slight overpayment are easily fixed but here is my issue.

DeAngelo, I have long advocated to get him on the Leafs because I was believer in him.

This season hes emerged has primarily an offensive minded D which we dont need.

We need a defensive minded D.
I think a similar package to this could get it us that player.

The other thing to consider is the Rangers defensive system, which is horrible.
So maybe DeAngelo is not all offense but is that worth moving Nylander for ??? I am thinking no

If this sort package, not exactly this package, was for Parayko or for Myers from the Flyers that would be my move.

I want the Leafs to gamble on Tryamkin.
My left field move would be to trade for Tryamkin, Canucks have his rights.
Hes 6'7 and big mobile D man.

Would cost alot less.
oneX liked this.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
tomato
I deliberately was maybe a bit generous on term and $$$. But I didn't want to look like a "homer" where the top guys get paid so much that the bottom end players. IMO I would rather give some guys too much so you can lock them up for longer period if you are 95% they are going to hold their value.
One trouble with league minimum for some of these guys, is they can walk be signed by other teams with no compensation.

The no compensation only goes up to 1.4. Id rather try to keep them at league min to a mil and gamble that no other team will offer sheet them. If they do and they are worth 1.39 i match and if its above that i take the 3rd.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.
tomato
Quoting: Trickster
This is pretty decent overall, the slight overpayment are easily fixed but here is my issue.

DeAngelo, I have long advocated to get him on the Leafs because I was believer in him.

I think a similar package to this could get it us that player.

The other thing to consider is the Rangers defensive system, which is horrible.
So maybe DeAngelo is not all offense but is that worth moving Nylander for ??? I am thinking no

If this sort package, not exactly this package, was for Parayko or for Myers from the Flyers that would be my move.

Would cost alot less.

If Tryamkin was right handed i would try acquiring his rights but hes a lefty which we seem to have enough of at the moment. Also i thought i read recently that he was thinking about coming back to the canucks next season. im not sure though.
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster

Would cost alot less.

I was thinking the same about DeAngelo. Rielly is the Leafs offensive guy and a proper partner is needed for him which DeAngelo is not imo.

As for Georgiev? NYR will have to decisions to make later if not sooner with Friedman pointing out that young Shesterkien has an opt-out clause to go play in the KHL. Do NYR want to stick with current goalies and hope their younger guy sticks around until after Lindquist is done?

Right now NYR can get something for Georgiev or maybe risk losing Shesterkien later.
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 23, 2019 at 5:18 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: tomato43
If Tryamkin was right handed i would try acquiring his rights but hes a lefty which we seem to have enough of at the moment. Also i thought i read recently that he was thinking about coming back to the canucks next season. im not sure though.

Dermott is interchangeable IMO, pair Rielly with him and we are okay

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll