Forums/Armchair-GM

JT and DUBAS HATERS which 3 Centre team would you pick

Created by: Leafloyalist
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 29, 2020
Published: Jan. 30, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
John Tavares was never a good skater, and lately its been showing.

5.5 more years for 11 mill.?

Also, once leafs management showed no loyalty to guys like bozak kadri etc, the young guys didnt care anymore n took as much money as they could.

then they bring up JT and they pushed up their salary cuz hes a new guy taking all this money when they were already thought to be deep at centre.

N now the horrible trade with Kadri, basically getting a much weaker 3C and 1 crappy year from Barrie.

If we just kept Bozak a great leader as 3C and Kadri at 2C i feel we would be way better off.

Last thought...if we end up giving up a "sweetner" to get rid of Codi Ceci n his 4.5 mill contract when we couldve WALKED AWAY at arbitration, that would mean we gave up connor brown to get rid of Zaitsev and then giving up someone else for ceci. that would be wasting all the development. smart teams trade guys like connor brown, johnnson for high draft picks to keep stocking the cupboard. for when the timing is right esp with a salary cap. but if we are just giving them away, our depth will dissapear
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Dman, Depth
1$2,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Kadri, Nazem
  2. Rosén, Calle
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (TOR)
COL
  1. Barrie, Tyson
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
  3. 2020 6th round pick (COL)
TOR
  1. Strålman, Anton
Additional Details:
Imagine signing a DECENT RD than overpaying our guys by a long mile
FLA
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$79,616,310$0$70,000$1,883,690
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Dman, Depth
$2,500,000$2,500,000
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:14 a.m.
Gibberish
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:15 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I disagree. But I do think there is something up with JT besides his skating.
leaflet and TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:18 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
So many of these statement made are factually incorrect. Are you mistaken or just falsifying the facts to win an argument?
leaflet liked this.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:22 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo

Agree there is something wrong with him. He missed so many empty nets after he got back from the injury - I'm pretty sure I counted five of them. That makes quite a difference on his stats, and probably doesn't help with confidence.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:31 a.m.
After Kadri got suspended for a second straight playoff series, how could any GM bring him back? When he's needed most he's suspended.

Now after being traded, Kadri has learned his lesson? I guess we'll see.

Remember the world championships last year and the oblique injury he suffered in that first game?
Well these oblique injuries are very tricky and not easy to overcome.
It may have something to do with his play this season.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:43 a.m.
GM - Canucks
This post makes no sense and you need to delete it or alternatively reverse all your trades.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 1:10 a.m.
Islanders Fan

You can call me a hater and/or bitter (admittedly I'm a combo of both) but this isn't new. Same song when he was with the Islanders. JT was infamous for rarely backchecking. Always late behind the play. And conversely in overtime he would overexert himself trying to be a hero and burn out. Causing odd man rushes and losing games because he wanted to take a 2:30 shift.

You never want a guy of his level just walking out the door. But there is a sliver of me that really wonders how well JT truly would fit in Trotz's system anyways
Jan. 30, 2020 at 2:31 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: joshelkin
You can call me a hater and/or bitter (admittedly I'm a combo of both) but this isn't new. Same song when he was with the Islanders. JT was infamous for rarely backchecking. Always late behind the play. And conversely in overtime he would overexert himself trying to be a hero and burn out. Causing odd man rushes and losing games because he wanted to take a 2:30 shift.

You never want a guy of his level just walking out the door. But there is a sliver of me that really wonders how well JT truly would fit in Trotz's system anyways

John Tavares is a great hockey player and do not think you truly appreciated his talent level when he was playing on a really poor Islander teams and very unstable franchise. Tavares did not make up the NHL UFA Rules and you have to respect a players decision to sign as a UFA where ever he wants. I am not crying that Gardiner or JVR left the Leafs of thir own free will to sign as a UFA in Carolina and Philladelpia as this was their choice. Things are working out fine for the Islanders without Tavares. The Islanders entire franchise was a mess until Lou and Trotz arrived and you can not blame Tavares for wanting to come home and play in Toronto.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 8:05 a.m.
Banned

Bad luck. He's winning puck battles and feeding Nylander fine. Just isn't scoring as much as his career year last year.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 8:12 a.m.
Banned

What a pile of BS. Hey look at me, I'm still crying because Tavares left so I am going to make up a bunch of nonsense to make myself feel better. Just get over it and enjoy what your team is doing.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 8:52 a.m.
The rhetoric that the Leafs could have walked away from Ceci at arbitration is ridiculous. Ceci would have had to go to arbitration and the award would have had to be higher than his QO. Neither one of those things were going to happen.

But since the rest of this post is absolutely ridiculous, I suppose your statement is on character.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.
Islanders Fan
Quoting: TMLSage
John Tavares is a great hockey player and do not think you truly appreciated his talent level when he was playing on a really poor Islander teams and very unstable franchise. Tavares did not make up the NHL UFA Rules and you have to respect a players decision to sign as a UFA where ever he wants. I am not crying that Gardiner or JVR left the Leafs of thir own free will to sign as a UFA in Carolina and Philladelpia as this was their choice. Things are working out fine for the Islanders without Tavares. The Islanders entire franchise was a mess until Lou and Trotz arrived and you can not blame Tavares for wanting to come home and play in Toronto.

I'm not getting into this debate. Said a million times that it wasn't the fact he left the Islanders, but how he did it. And lets not pretend JVR or Gardiner are even near the same level as Tavares.

I watched him intently for as long as he was there. He's done exactly the same in Toronto so give it a rest. My initial comments about how he plays are 100% accurate
Leafloyalist liked this.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 9:26 a.m.
Islanders Fan
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
What a pile of BS. Hey look at me, I'm still crying because Tavares left so I am going to make up a bunch of nonsense to make myself feel better. Just get over it and enjoy what your team is doing.

It's a factual critique of how he played. But ok. I'm greatly enjoying
Jan. 30, 2020 at 9:33 a.m.
Banned
It's a factual critique of how he played. But ok. I'm greatly enjoying

That no one ever said before Tavares left the Islanders and now there is all this critique coming from you guys. Just hurt feelings and big adult human sized babies.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 10:10 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Bad luck. He's winning puck battles and feeding Nylander fine. Just isn't scoring as much as his career year last year.

Last night was a perfect example. Nylander spins in the high slot and slung it to Tavares and shook the tape loose of his stick. Tavares look stunned, took too long to shoot and then didn’t roof it. Not very Tavares like. It appears to be mental.

My personal opinion... baby. This happens a lot with new fathers.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 10:16 a.m.
Banned
Last night was a perfect example. Nylander spins in the high slot and slung it to Tavares and shook the tape loose of his stick. Tavares look stunned, took too long to shoot and then didn’t roof it. Not very Tavares like. It appears to be mental.

My personal opinion... baby. This happens a lot with new fathers.

Could be, either way I am not worried, his line is still producing a lot. He's turning Nylander into a much better players so its all good to my eyes. I could find the statement somewhere on here, but I mentioned earlier in the year that I really liked the idea of Nylander playing with Tavares mainly because Tavares plays close to the net and Nylander needs to do the same. Look what happened once he started doing it. I also don't think he's going to turn backwards, he's only going to get better still.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:12 p.m.
Quoting: TMLSage
This post makes no sense and you need to delete it or alternatively reverse all your trades.

? this isnt about the trades, these are trades that already happened....are u dense?
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:14 p.m.

You can see those tendencies now, not using his linemates and trying to do everything on his own and staying on too long like last nights goal against.

He was always known as a goal hog, kadri said it himself.

Leafs bring in a selfish player to be the captain. ofcourse the young guys will be selfish too then.
joshelkin liked this.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:16 p.m.
torontos finest
lol great nonsense topic
Leafloyalist liked this.
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:17 p.m.
Quoting: newballcoach
The rhetoric that the Leafs could have walked away from Ceci at arbitration is ridiculous. Ceci would have had to go to arbitration and the award would have had to be higher than his QO. Neither one of those things were going to happen.

But since the rest of this post is absolutely ridiculous, I suppose your statement is on character.

? excuse me? leafs couldve taken him to arbitration and walked away. it was reported constantly, and the insiders were surprised they signed him.

what facts are u trying to say. that the arbitration system isnt the way it is?
Jan. 30, 2020 at 12:20 p.m.
Could be, either way I am not worried, his line is still producing a lot. He's turning Nylander into a much better players so its all good to my eyes. I could find the statement somewhere on here, but I mentioned earlier in the year that I really liked the idea of Nylander playing with Tavares mainly because Tavares plays close to the net and Nylander needs to do the same. Look what happened once he started doing it. I also don't think he's going to turn backwards, he's only going to get better still.

I just thought tavares would bring the same impact and leadership as Bergeron. If you watched the matchup between them earlier this year. Bergeron is stronger, smarter and better leader than tavares is.

plus 5 million difference.... its ok now but down the line 5 more years at 11 its gonna hurt us
Jan. 30, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Leafloyalist
I just thought tavares would bring the same impact and leadership as Bergeron. If you watched the matchup between them earlier this year. Bergeron is stronger, smarter and better leader than tavares is.

plus 5 million difference.... its ok now but down the line 5 more years at 11 its gonna hurt us

Tavares has been fantastic the entire time he's been in TO. Money well spent, this whole conversation is just silly.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll