Forums/Armchair-GM

If we didnt suck so bad at drafting

Created by: Smithcd995
Team: 2019-20 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: May 18, 2020
Published: May 18, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Might be a decent team, idk, cant tell. THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM WITH THE SABRES!!!!!!
Trades
EDM
    ARMIA
    TBL
    1. Jokiharju, Henri
    Additional Details:
    NYLANDER
    DET
      ZADOROV
      TBL
        GRIGOSUCKO
        Buyouts
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the DAL
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        Logo of the BUF
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        20$81,500,000$85,887,832$0$7,220,000-$4,387,832
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
        $767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $10,000,000$10,000,000
        C
        UFA - 7
        Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
        $8,500,000$8,500,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 6
        $9,000,000$9,000,000
        LW, RW
        NMC
        UFA - 8
        Logo of the Washington Capitals
        $3,900,000$3,900,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 6
        Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
        $5,400,000$5,400,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 5
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
        LW, RW, C
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
        $4,125,000$4,125,000
        C
        UFA - 4
        Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
        $3,300,000$3,300,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $1,550,000$1,550,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
        RW
        RFA - 3
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
        LD/RD
        UFA - 2
        Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
        $4,167,000$4,167,000
        LD
        UFA - 4
        Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
        $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        $2,850,000$2,850,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 2
        $3,875,000$3,875,000
        RD
        UFA - 3
        $1,325,000$1,325,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $3,387,500$3,387,500
        RD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        May 18, 2020 at 10:34 a.m.
        Well you traded nylander for jokiharju so it's not terrible. You can still live with that
        May 18, 2020 at 10:40 a.m.
        Meow
        Quoting: keep_ups12
        Well you traded nylander for jokiharju so it's not terrible. You can still live with that

Of course. Everything else is almost laughable though. At least hit on like 2 of these for the love of god.
        May 18, 2020 at 10:42 a.m.
        hahahahaha :_((((((
        May 18, 2020 at 10:44 a.m.
        Meow
        Quoting: sabres1108

I feel ya dawg.
        sabres1108 liked this.
        May 18, 2020 at 10:44 a.m.
        Banned
        On what planet does a bottom pairing LD like Zadorov get you Mantha? Noway Detroit moves Mantha for a bottom pairing LD Zadorov doesn't have that kind of value.
        May 18, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.
        MisstheWhalers
        Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
        On what planet does a bottom pairing LD like Zadorov get you Mantha? Noway Detroit moves Mantha for a bottom pairing LD Zadorov doesn't have that kind of value.

You completely missed the point!
        CaseOfTastykakes liked this.
        May 18, 2020 at 10:49 a.m.

You actually just rode on a time machine to see that Buffalo drafted Mantha, not Zadorov...
        May 18, 2020 at 10:52 a.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: Bluejackets2000
        You actually just rode on a time machine to see that Buffalo drafted Mantha, not Zadorov...

Yeah my bad, Zing over the head.
        Bluejackets2000 liked this.
        May 18, 2020 at 10:56 a.m.
        Banned

In what world are you always not read the description???? You could have take 2 min and wouldn’t have to do that non sense comment.
        May 18, 2020 at 11:10 a.m.
        Quoting: keep_ups12

Quoting: Smithcd995
        Of course. Everything else is almost laughable though. At least hit on like 2 of these for the love of god.

Quoting: sabres1108

I feel ya dawg.

the same comment could be made about nearly every team drafts.
        The only two that really stick out are Reinhart and Nylander as the next player taken was significantly better.
        I would just as soon have Ristolainen over Horvat. BTW check out how old Burns and Chara were when they suddenly became all stars. They were actually very ordinary at Ristolainen's age, and Chara was very bad.
        While Klefbom is certainly better than Armia, Armia is far from a bust (Nylander), but MTL and CHI passed on him as well.
        DET, LAK and FLA all also passed on Necas: OTT, WSH; and SJS all passed on Teräväinen; OTT, SJS, and CBJ all passed on Mantha; OTT, WSH, SJS and CHI all passed on Vasilevskiy (BTW if you actually watch Girgensons play he is a really good checking forward), only CHI and FLA passed on Kuznetsov, so none of those were the obvious slam dunks of Sam and Alex. The same players you are crying about Buffalo passing on were also passed over by OTT, CHI 3 times, WSH & SJS twice.
        The only really bad picks were the Murray picks as other team also passed on every player you chose was passed over at least twice by other teams.
        I would take Ristolainen over Horvat, Armia is actually looking OK now, Girgensons is really strong on the puck, Zadorov and Pysyk are doing well only Nylander looks really bad and the jury is still out on Mittelstadt. If Murray had only kept Zadorov, Armia, Pysyk and drafted Draisaitl and Sergachev the team would be a LOT better than they are now.
        May 18, 2020 at 11:16 a.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: Sebybbq
        In what world are you always not read the description???? You could have take 2 min and wouldn’t have to do that non sense comment.

And if you would've seen my comment above/ You would've seen that i corrected my mistake. shakes head
        May 18, 2020 at 11:17 a.m.
        Quoting: gretzkyghosts
        The only two that really stick out are Reinhart and Nylander as the next player taken was significantly better.
        I would just as soon have Ristolainen over Horvat. BTW check out how old Burns and Chara were when they suddenly became all stars. They were actually very ordinary at Ristolainen's age, and Chara was very bad.
        While Klefbom is certainly better than Armia, Armia is far from a bust (Nylander), but MTL and CHI passed on him as well.
        DET, LAK and FLA all also passed on Necas: OTT, WSH; and SJS all passed on Teräväinen; OTT, SJS, and CBJ all passed on Mantha; OTT, WSH, SJS and CHI all passed on Vasilevskiy (BTW if you actually watch Girgensons play he is a really good checking forward), only CHI and FLA passed on Kuznetsov, so none of those were the obvious slam dunks of Sam and Alex. The same players you are crying about Buffalo passing on were also passed over by OTT, CHI 3 times, WSH & SJS twice.
        The only really bad picks were the Murray picks as other team also passed on every player you chose was passed over at least twice by other teams.
        I would take Ristolainen over Horvat, Armia is actually looking OK now, Girgensons is really strong on the puck, Zadorov and Pysyk are doing well only Nylander looks really bad and the jury is still out on Mittelstadt. If Murray had only kept Zadorov, Armia, Pysyk and drafted Draisaitl and Sergachev the team would be a LOT better than they are now.

i stopped reading at Risto over Horvat hahahahaha
        Smithcd995 liked this.
        May 18, 2020 at 11:19 a.m.
        As a Minnesota sports fan, I feel you. It's super depressing to go back and look at previous drafts and realize what could've been.
        gretzkyghosts liked this.
        May 18, 2020 at 11:28 a.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: mnwild1790
        As a Minnesota sports fan, I feel you. It's super depressing to go back and look at previous drafts and realize what could've been.

The biggest difference is Minnesota didn’t pick in the top 10 for 8 straight year and only managed to get Dahlin and Eichel has real impact players.
        Smithcd995 and sabres1108 liked this.
        May 18, 2020 at 11:29 a.m.
        CGY
        I think the issue with the Sabres has been drafting really poorly outside of the 1st round.

Since 2010, the only impactful NHLers they've drafted outside of the 1st round are

Mccabe, Ullmark, Petersen, Compher, Lemieux and Oloffson.

Now how many of them have been impactful Sabres? Not enough
        May 18, 2020 at 11:39 a.m.
        Quoting: ItWasIn
        I think the issue with the Sabres has been drafting really poorly outside of the 1st round.

Since 2010, the only impactful NHLers they've drafted outside of the 1st round are

Same problem the Oilers have had over the last 10-15 years
        May 18, 2020 at 11:39 a.m.
        Meow
        Quoting: ItWasIn

And Olofsson is the only real difference maker on that list.
        May 18, 2020 at 11:40 a.m.
        Meow
        Quoting: Jesus

Quoting: mnwild1790

Quoting: gretzkyghosts

It just blows my mind that Boston is consistently good and still manages to pull Marchand, Pastrnak and McAvoy and here we are taking Nylander at 8 OA.
        mnwild1790 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
        May 18, 2020 at 11:42 a.m.
        Quoting: Sebybbq
        The biggest difference is Minnesota didn’t pick in the top 10 for 8 straight year and only managed to get Dahlin and Eichel has real impact players.

Totally get you. We've have 2 totally different problems. For Buffalo you have some incredible top talent, but nothing really substantial in support. Whereas in Minnesota we've drafted some really good support players...but lack the top talent necessary to get anywhere near cup contender...

Here's a little bit of solace for you. Between 2010 and 2014 the Oilers had 3 #1 picks, a #3 and a #7 pick. They could've had Hall, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Nurse,, and Vasilevskiy. Instead, as of today, they're left with Draisaitl and Nurse. Still a pretty good combo but imagine the dynasty they could've built?

However, the Oilers still have something we don't...
        Pharow liked this.
        May 18, 2020 at 11:45 a.m.
        It just blows my mind that Boston is consistently good and still manages to pull Marchand, Pastrnak and McAvoy and here we are taking Nylander at 8 OA.

Thats what good organizations do. No matter what the Sabres excuse is they're a poorly run organization. Mittelstadt has been mishandled and needed more time to develop before debuting in the NHL, Reinhart could've used another year in the WHL, the 2015 O'Reilly trade was good but the Kane deal the same year still looks asinine, they've been through 3 coaches in 5 years and very well could make another coaching change. It doesn't really matter how high your draft picks are, you have to develop the player that you draft
        ItWasIn and gretzkyghosts liked this.
        May 18, 2020 at 11:48 a.m.

I was just trying to convince a Bruins fan how good he had it the other day on Facebook. He was complaining about how they're front office is terrible and I got pissed. The Bruins have done an unbelievable job in their scouting, drafting, and salary cap management. I mean look at where they've drafted everyone and look at how it seems every player is playing above where their contracts are. It's really been a masterful job by them.

Also, look what Colorado has done in recent years. They went from laughing stock with that horrendous one off season to looking like they're on the verge of a huge cup contending run like the Bruins. Sakic did a great job there as well.
        May 18, 2020 at 11:49 a.m.
        Meow
        Thats what good organizations do. No matter what the Sabres excuse is they're a poorly run organization. Mittelstadt has been mishandled and needed more time to develop before debuting in the NHL, Reinhart could've used another year in the WHL, the 2015 O'Reilly trade was good but the Kane deal the same year still looks asinine, they've been through 3 coaches in 5 years and very well could make another coaching change. It doesn't really matter how high your draft picks are, you have to develop the player that you draft

Agreed to an extent. I just don't think many teams are going to mess up Draisatl more than they would say Reinhart.

EDIT: It's a top to bottom failure of an Org, no doubt.
        May 18, 2020 at 12:02 p.m.
        Agreed to an extent. I just don't think many teams are going to mess up Draisatl more than they would say Reinhart.

EDIT: It's a top to bottom failure of an Org, no doubt.

Well Reinhart and Draisaitl had around the same amount of points in the WHL but yeah I get what you're saying. But I thought they should've drafted Bennett so I guess that shows how good of a GM I'd be
        May 18, 2020 at 12:51 p.m.
        I play this game all the time with 2000-08 BlueJackets...

00 Klesla #4 - Hartnell #5 / Hossa #16 / Orpik #18 / Williams #28 / Kronwall #29
        01 LeClaire #8 - Hamhuis #12 / Cammallari #49 / Pominville #55 / Plekanic #71
        02 Nash #1 - had to trade up to get him, a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then
        03 Zherdev #4 - Vanek #5 / Suter #7 / Phaneuf #9 / Carter #10 / Brown #13 / Seabrook #14 / Parise #17 / Getzlaf #19 / Burns #20 / Kesler #23 / Richards #24
        04 Picard #8 - Stafford #13 / Radulov #15 / Dubnyk #14 / Zajak #20 / Krejci #63
        05 Brule #6 - Kopitar #11 / Staal #12 / Hanzal #17 / Rask #21 / Oshie #24 / Niskanen #28 / Vlasik #35 / Stasny #44
        06 Brassard #6 - Okposo #7 / Frolik #10 / Little #12 / Grabner #14 / Giroux #22 / Bergland #25 / Foligno #28
        07 Voracek #8 - I'm sure they were looking at someone else who came off the board, so they threw a dart at a dartboard of names and landed on Voracek
        08 Nikita "I don't do rebounds" Filatov #6 - Wilson #7 / Boedker #8 / Bailey #9 / Karlsson #15 / Eberle #22

Oh the misery of early Jackets scouting and drafting
        May 18, 2020 at 1:32 p.m.

It's been a problem in Edmonton for ages, but the past 5 drafts seem to have turned it around. It's too early to say for sure yet, but the 2015 draft was remarkable for drafting talent beyond the 1st round, with Jones, Bear and Marino taken in the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds, respectively.

2016 has Benson (2nd) with defensemen Niemelainen and Berglund (both 3rd) recently signed.

2017 has decent prospects Samorukov (3rd), Maksimov (5th) and Kemp (7th).

2018 adds McLeod and Rodrigue in the 2nd and Kesselring in the 6th.

In 2019 they found Lavoie in the 2nd and Konovalov in the 3rd.

Again, it's too early to make the call for most of these names, but all of them are showing potential above where they were drafted so far.
        TheGuyInTheChair liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll