Forums/Armchair-GM

take Smith to get Georgiev

Created by: Trickster
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 12, 2020
Published: Jun. 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What if we take on Smith to acquire Georgiev?
Does this do it? Open to making changes.

And if Vancouver didnt want to sign Markstrom but needed a goalie for 1 year, is this enough to Leafs for 1 full year of Andersen? Idea is to give Demko another year of tandem and then give him the reigns next season. Also open to making changes .
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$1,750,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
Trades
NYR
  1. Johnsson, Andreas
  2. Malgin, Denis [RFA Rights]
  3. 2020 6th round pick (COL)
TOR
  1. Woo, Jett
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (VAN)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$80,824,783$0$0$675,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 14, 2020 at 4:02 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Survivorking77
If you're not getting at least a first for Freddy then it isn't worth it imo.

This would be acceptable return I think, could he fetch more?
100% but this i something I'd be willing to accept.

Quoting: ItWasIn
Andersen is not the guy to move to clear cap

Andersen would be the guy to move if we acquired another younger NHL caliber goalie.
Sign_em_up000000 and oneX liked this.
Jun. 14, 2020 at 4:03 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Two seconds is quite a good return for one year of Freddie, especially if Toronto are thinking of moving on from him. Change that prospect to Jett Woo and I think this trade is almost mandatory if Georgiev is in the fold,

I wanted to it to be Woo instead of Malone but I thought I'd get significant fight back on that.

Thanks for sharing your input of Woo.
Jun. 14, 2020 at 4:05 p.m.
CGY
Quoting: Trickster
This would be acceptable return I think, could he fetch more?
100% but this i something I'd be willing to accept.

Andersen would be the guy to move if we acquired another younger NHL caliber goalie.

Georgiev hasn't played more than 34 NHL games, Campbell never more than 31. Not to mention how hard it is to be the goalie of the Leafs, Andersen is the perfect man for the job, he's not the guy to move.

NYR won't move Georigev because Shesterkin is expansion exempt. Lundqvist will be bought out.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jun. 14, 2020 at 4:05 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: exo2769
Lehner > Freddie and he got a 2nd.

Lehner was traded at the deadline, he would have fetched far more if traded prior to the start of the season.

Plus Lehner had double retention too.

I actually used that trade for a measurement for ths one.
Jun. 14, 2020 at 4:06 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: OldNYIfan
This is really creative, and a much better idea than mine of moving Andersen to Minnesota. Vancouver was my next thought but I wasn't close to figuring out who to replace Freddie with. This is really good. If Jacob Markstrom is asking for the moon, it would be a very good path for the Canucks to take. You and I may be alone here, but I'm impressed.

Thanks very much.
I have also played with Andersen to Wild trade as well.
Jun. 14, 2020 at 4:14 p.m.
exo2769
Lehner was traded at the deadline, he would have fetched far more if traded prior to the start of the season.

Plus Lehner had double retention too.

I actually used that trade for a measurement for ths one.

Lehner was on a 1 year deal because he couldn't find anyone willing to give him a contract with term. I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

The retention should only increase a trade value. Not decrease it. So I think you're saying Freddie wouldn't even get a 2nd?
Jun. 14, 2020 at 8:03 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Andersen covers up a lot of warts for the Leafs. I know he wasn't as good this season, but I think fatigue might have been an issue. He reminds me a lot of Miikka Kiprusoff, in that the Leafs have ridden Andersen hard, he's bailed out the team on several occasions , but after a few years the play declines a bit. The Campbell deal should help that. I would look at keeping him. Also worth noting TOR is a very difficult city to be the #1 goalie in. His temperament is perfect for it.

Andersen is getting up there an age, makes sense to move on from him.
I feel the NHL is shifting to more tandem goaltending.

Quoting: TheAlien
Vancouver declines, rather have Markstrom who is much better and doesn't cost 2 2nd's

I am not sure signing Markstrom to 4 or 5 year deal makes sense as he is already 30. This will give e Demko one more year to establish himself at relatively low cost.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 12:02 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: palhal
[

You and I may be alone here, but I'm impressed. You are not alone. Seems like all the trades could benefit all get teams. As you say, a creative post. Nice work Trickster./quote]

Thanks.
I was looking at least a gain for each team here objectively
Jun. 15, 2020 at 12:03 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: oneX
Agree with you on the creativity. I know people are pointing out how Lehner had better numbers this season than Andersen but what about Andersen's overall time and numbers with the Leafs?

Looking at it from a Vancouver perspective, Andersen is a nice stop gap if Markstrom is going to cost more. Another year for Demko and DiPietro to grow into NHL goalies while Andersen holds the fort.

That is the exact Vancouver angle I was going for.
Thanks for seeing that.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 12:04 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Georgiev hasn't played more than 34 NHL games, Campbell never more than 31. Not to mention how hard it is to be the goalie of the Leafs, Andersen is the perfect man for the job, he's not the guy to move.

NYR won't move Georigev because Shesterkin is expansion exempt. Lundqvist will be bought out.

I dont see Lundqvist being bought.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 12:05 a.m.
CGY
I dont see Lundqvist being bought.

He’s their 3rd best goalie, likely to be scratched for playoffs. They probably hate to do it, but it’s a cruel business. Unless he’s willing to be traded
Jun. 15, 2020 at 12:06 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: exo2769
Lehner was on a 1 year deal because he couldn't find anyone willing to give him a contract with term. I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

The retention should only increase a trade value. Not decrease it. So I think you're saying Freddie wouldn't even get a 2nd?

I agree the retention increased the value of Lehner, the retention at the start of the year would helped yield even better returns.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 12:06 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
He’s their 3rd best goalie, likely to be scratched for playoffs. They probably hate to do it, but it’s a cruel business. Unless he’s willing to be traded

He has full NMC and he loves NYC.
Hes going nowhere.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 12:10 a.m.
CGY
He has full NMC and he loves NYC.
Hes going nowhere.

Buyout then
Jun. 15, 2020 at 2:32 a.m.
Andersen covers up a lot of warts for the Leafs. I know he wasn't as good this season, but I think fatigue might have been an issue. He reminds me a lot of Miikka Kiprusoff, in that the Leafs have ridden Andersen hard, he's bailed out the team on several occasions , but after a few years the play declines a bit. The Campbell deal should help that. I would look at keeping him. Also worth noting TOR is a very difficult city to be the #1 goalie in. His temperament is perfect for it.

I thought about this post of yours and do agree with what you say here but looking longer term not just at goaltending but also the cap space the team will or will not have available (Rielly's contract is up soon-ish which is a big factor here) it's going to be a choice of maybe keep Andersen or keep Rielly.

Perhaps both may need to go? It depends on the moves that get made this coming off-season. Just doing rough napkin math tells me the Leafs can't keep both without trading a big ticket and I'm not sure Dubas will do that to keep both.
Trickster and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 7:50 p.m.

Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while I've been swamped at work. Just did 47.5 hours last week and 9 today.

To answer your question, I like the concept and the out of the box thinking, however, IMO, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that tandem unless we beef up our dcore. I'm all for going the tandem route but I don't trust our team enough defensively to go with those two especially if Lehtonen is going to play such a prominent role. Don't get me wrong, he could be great but it's alot of uncertainty. I like the VAN deal and think it's fair and makes sense for both sides but what if we sign Markstrom or Lehner and either trade Campbell or use him as our backup? The Rangers deal seems reasonable and if Dubas thinks Georgiev can be our goalie of the future and he can get him for a reasonable price then it makes sense to take back Smith to lower his value but I think it would be a hard sell to most of Leaf Nation and if it doesn't start great or if they falter at any point leafs nation will turn on Dubas in the blink of an eye so Georgiev has to be the hill he's willing to die on. Again, that's just my opinion.
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 7:53 p.m.
I thought about this post of yours and do agree with what you say here but looking longer term not just at goaltending but also the cap space the team will or will not have available (Rielly's contract is up soon-ish which is a big factor here) it's going to be a choice of maybe keep Andersen or keep Rielly.

Perhaps both may need to go? It depends on the moves that get made this coming off-season. Just doing rough napkin math tells me the Leafs can't keep both without trading a big ticket and I'm not sure Dubas will do that to keep both.

I think Rielly will have to decide if he wants to stay and be apart of this team going forward and take a reasonable deal like he did last time or if he wants to cash in because he didn't last time.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 8:02 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while I've been swamped at work. Just did 47.5 hours last week and 9 today.

To answer your question, I like the concept and the out of the box thinking, however, IMO, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that tandem unless we beef up our dcore. I'm all for going the tandem route but I don't trust our team enough defensively to go with those two especially if Lehtonen is going to play such a prominent role. Don't get me wrong, he could be great but it's alot of uncertainty. I like the VAN deal and think it's fair and makes sense for both sides but what if we sign Markstrom or Lehner and either trade Campbell or use him as our backup? The Rangers deal seems reasonable and if Dubas thinks Georgiev can be our goalie of the future and he can get him for a reasonable price then it makes sense to take back Smith to lower his value but I think it would be a hard sell to most of Leaf Nation and if it doesn't start great or if they falter at any point leafs nation will turn on Dubas in the blink of an eye so Georgiev has to be the hill he's willing to die on. Again, that's just my opinion.

Very fair points.
My opinion is Markstrom is too old and Lehner is only tsd younger.

This is cap move as much as getting a new younger goalie.

I think our D will play good enough.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 8:21 p.m.
Very fair points.
My opinion is Markstrom is too old and Lehner is only tsd younger.

This is cap move as much as getting a new younger goalie.

I think our D will play good enough.

Valid points, but I was thinking Lehner because we could probably get him on a short term contract and Markstrom if we could get him at a relative cap hit to Andersen but it would require more term something like 5×5 or 6×5 again it's risky but it would allow us to move Andersen and still have strong goaltending to compete for a cup. Also, we could move Campbell and bring in Georgiev especially if we signed Lehner but my point was more instead of taking Smith's deadweight contract for a year we could invest that money into the D our move AJ and combine that money to go after another big fish FA. Again, my theory is Andersen is asking for too much and Dubas sees an option to sell to Leafs Nation.

I like and agree with getting younger in the net but as someone else mentioned it's hard to be a number one in TO and my worry is it could be too much pressure for a Georgiev and Campbell tandem... Personally, I'dbe fine with it but if it doesn't work out Dubas would most likely lose his job over it.

You're right, our D can play good enough, all I'm saying is that if Lehtonen is going to play a prominent role and we're going with a relatively inexperienced tandem it adds alot of uncertainty and alot more pressure on the rest of the team to overperform if it doesn't work out. I'm not trying to be negative just trying to look at it from Dubas' point of view and it's a tuff sell.
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 9:28 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Valid points, but I was thinking Lehner because we could probably get him on a short term contract and Markstrom if we could get him at a relative cap hit to Andersen but it would require more term something like 5×5 or 6×5 again it's risky but it would allow us to move Andersen and still have strong goaltending to compete for a cup. Also, we could move Campbell and bring in Georgiev especially if we signed Lehner but my point was more instead of taking Smith's deadweight contract for a year we could invest that money into the D our move AJ and combine that money to go after another big fish FA. Again, my theory is Andersen is asking for too much and Dubas sees an option to sell to Leafs Nation.

I like and agree with getting younger in the net but as someone else mentioned it's hard to be a number one in TO and my worry is it could be too much pressure for a Georgiev and Campbell tandem... Personally, I'dbe fine with it but if it doesn't work out Dubas would most likely lose his job over it.

You're right, our D can play good enough, all I'm saying is that if Lehtonen is going to play a prominent role and we're going with a relatively inexperienced tandem it adds alot of uncertainty and alot more pressure on the rest of the team to overperform if it doesn't work out. I'm not trying to be negative just trying to look at it from Dubas' point of view and it's a tuff sell.

Is there another younger goalie you would consider?
Maybe Murray? I'm worried about his injury history.
Korpisalo? Saros?
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 9:33 p.m.

The D would need to be improved if the Leafs are going from elite goaltending to good goaltending.

Also, moving on from Andersen means getting a younger goalie and Markstrom and Lehner do not fit that description.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 9:35 p.m.
Buyout then

People throw the buyout option around like candy. As rich as the Leafs and Rangers are, the revenues are zero. Doubt there's any buyouts in the NHL.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 9:38 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
People throw the buyout option around like candy. As rich as the Leafs and Rangers are, the revenues are zero. Doubt there's any buyouts in the NHL.

Too true.
Ever noticed how many ACGMs have CBOs?
Its ridiculous.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 9:39 p.m.
CGY

Once again, he’s their 3rd best goalie and on his last legs as an effective NHLer. It’s just plain irresponsible for the Rangers to move Georgiev unless it’s an overpay, especially because Shesterkin doesn’t require protection. They have the ability to run one of the leagues best tandems for the next 5-7 seasons.

It makes zero sense for the King to be playing goal for NYR next season. I mean he won’t even be backing up the Rangers for the play-in

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll