Forums/Armchair-GM

OTT Trade

Created by: MatthewsDynasty
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 16, 2020
Published: Aug. 16, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
For more cap space you can add a 2nd round pick to retain some of savard salary.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
1$850,000
1$8,500,000
1$8,250,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Byfield, Quinton
3$925,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Tkachuk, Brady
  2. 2020 1st round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
3rd OA
OTT
  1. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
  2. Johnsson, Andreas
  3. Marner, Mitchell
  4. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2020 5th round pick (MIN)
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (MIN)
CBJ
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. 2020 4th round pick (VGK)
  3. 2020 7th round pick (WPG)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$78,305,950$0$2,500,000$3,194,050
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$8,250,000$8,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
Byfield, Quinton
$925,000$925,000
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,500,000$8,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,062,500$1,062,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 16, 2020 at 5:33 p.m.
Don't see that for Ottawa
Aug. 16, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
KFTW
Take out either Tkachuk or the 3rd overall and I still wouldn’t do it
Aug. 16, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.
Tkachuk has more value than Marner and will be the better player once he has linemates. The rest doesn't add up to anything close to #3
Aug. 16, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.
There is only one issue that everyone has with Marner and it’s simply that he makes too much money. He is a great player and would be a welcome addition on any roster, but his contract is far too cost prohibitive to make it worthwhile.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 5:55 p.m.
Tkachuk and the #3 are untouchable. The only team that could get the #5 is New Jersey, for #7 and #18 and another piece. We don’t want Marner.
csick, PLDGEY, athrin and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 6:42 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Tkachuk has more value than Marner and will be the better player once he has linemates. The rest doesn't add up to anything close to #3

This guy, everyone on the leafs is overrated and all Flames players are Hall of famers and I am not bias in anyway. In your eyes who doesn't have more value than Marner? I bet Lucic has more value because he cap his is less.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 6:53 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
This guy, everyone on the leafs is overrated and all Flames players are Hall of famers and I am not bias in anyway. In your eyes who doesn't have more value than Marner? I bet Lucic has more value because he cap his is less.

Brady Tkachuk is not a Flame idiot. He is still on an ELC and had miserable 8.1 S% this year. He plays a physical game and is very likely better than his brother Matthew. With a more rounded out S% of 12-15% he is a 30-40 goal scorer this year. With actual line mates like Byfield and Raymond he is an 80-100 point player. If you don't like my opinions block me but literally every other comment in this thread says the trade is god damn awful for Ottawa. It's hilarious to me how bad you are at comprehending things.
PLDGEY, athrin and Pinto liked this.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 7:37 p.m.
Banned
Brady Tkachuk is not a Flame idiot. He is still on an ELC and had miserable 8.1 S% this year. He plays a physical game and is very likely better than his brother Matthew. With a more rounded out S% of 12-15% he is a 30-40 goal scorer this year. With actual line mates like Byfield and Raymond he is an 80-100 point player. If you don't like my opinions block me but literally every other comment in this thread says the trade is god damn awful for Ottawa. It's hilarious to me how bad you are at comprehending things.

Cool story. It's just a pattern with you. Every one that anyone trades Marner for has more value than him. Without a doubt.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 7:41 p.m.
Voke
Love to get Savard from Columbus but bill and two picks enough? I'd target him if I'm leafs.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 7:42 p.m.
Cool story. It's just a pattern with you. Every one that anyone trades Marner for has more value than him. Without a doubt.

No they dont but in a flat cap with so many teams at the ceiling his contract is very unappealing especially if it drastically hinders your depth elsewhere. This trade however is not close at all
Aug. 16, 2020 at 7:46 p.m.
Banned
No they dont but in a flat cap with so many teams at the ceiling his contract is very unappealing especially if it drastically hinders your depth elsewhere. This trade however is not close at all

What a surprise the whole flat cap scenario. So when Kane signed a deal for a much higher cap percentage that Marner signed for, did that hinder his team? No, Seabrook hindered them. Does Crosby and Malkin's deal hinder the pens. Once again they both signed for a much higher cap percentage. The flat cap hurts teams who have overpaid depth. Players who have no chance of producing enough to match their contracts. 90+ points is money. Funny how no one says Panarin is overpaid. You're super bias.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 8:23 p.m.
What a surprise the whole flat cap scenario. So when Kane signed a deal for a much higher cap percentage that Marner signed for, did that hinder his team? No, Seabrook hindered them. Does Crosby and Malkin's deal hinder the pens. Once again they both signed for a much higher cap percentage. The flat cap hurts teams who have overpaid depth. Players who have no chance of producing enough to match their contracts. 90+ points is money. Funny how no one says Panarin is overpaid. You're super bias.

Kane, Crosby, and Malkin are completely different situations. By the time Kane got that contract he had the Calder, Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup ring, was 26 at the time of the extension after coming off of his 2nd NHL contract where his cap hit was 6.3M. He then went on to win the Ted Lindsey, Art Ross, and Hart that year. Crosby had already won the Espy twice and the Ted Lindsey once, was widely considered the best player in the league, a generational talent and played center. Malkin had the Conn Smythe, the Calder and a Cup ring at the time of his 8.7M contract and also played center. Yes Crosby's and Malkin's deals did hinder the Pens. They literally had to keep selling off top 6 wingers to stay under the cap. Same with Chicago, just look at the Teravainen or Leddy trade for proof. Marner has literally not done anything but produce in the regular season next to an elite talent to prove he's worth that contract. Panarin's contract looked awful at first but backed it up this year with an outstanding performance. However, if he was on the block so that Rangers could save cap space I doubt many teams bite because it's so expensive for a winger. The flat cap hurts teams who overpaid in general not just teams with 1-2 overpaid depth guys.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 8:28 p.m.
Banned
Kane, Crosby, and Malkin are completely different situations. By the time Kane got that contract he had the Calder, Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup ring, was 26 at the time of the extension after coming off of his 2nd NHL contract where his cap hit was 6.3M. He then went on to win the Ted Lindsey, Art Ross, and Hart that year. Crosby had already won the Espy twice and the Ted Lindsey once, was widely considered the best player in the league, a generational talent and played center. Malkin had the Conn Smythe, the Calder and a Cup ring at the time of his 8.7M contract and also played center. Yes Crosby's and Malkin's deals did hinder the Pens. They literally had to keep selling off top 6 wingers to stay under the cap. Same with Chicago, just look at the Teravainen or Leddy trade for proof. Marner has literally not done anything but produce in the regular season next to an elite talent to prove he's worth that contract. Panarin's contract looked awful at first but backed it up this year with an outstanding performance. However, if he was on the block so that Rangers could save cap space I doubt many teams bite because it's so expensive for a winger. The flat cap hurts teams who overpaid in general not just teams with 1-2 overpaid depth guys.

Everyone is different than TO players. You're just justifying a obvious bias. Marner is a top 5 player at his position or close to it. I'd love it if he was paid less but it doesn't really matter. It's not a problem. The Leafs don't have 1 contract that would be hard to trade. Not one. Anyone who says otherwise is just bias against TO. For crying outloud, I bet Chicago would get a haul for Kane if they moved him. Despite him being over 30.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 8:44 p.m.
Everyone is different than TO players. You're just justifying a obvious bias. Marner is a top 5 player at his position or close to it. I'd love it if he was paid less but it doesn't really matter. It's not a problem. The Leafs don't have 1 contract that would be hard to trade. Not one. Anyone who says otherwise is just bias against TO. For crying outloud, I bet Chicago would get a haul for Kane if they moved him. Despite him being over 30.

he is around top 5 for RW's in the league and his contract probably is movable but you are arguing about a specific proposal in a different thread because it didn't fit team needs or priorities. Which logically makes a lot of sense.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 9:18 p.m.
Banned
he is around top 5 for RW's in the league and his contract probably is movable but you are arguing about a specific proposal in a different thread because it didn't fit team needs or priorities. Which logically makes a lot of sense.

More justification and funny how you are wavering to say it's "probably moveable", still defending your hill that he has very little value because of his contract. You mentioned Kane had accomplished so much and that is why he isn't overpaid. Well Marner is extremely comparable vs Kane at the same age but somehow that doesn't matter, what matters is only whatever makes your bias against the Leafs justifyable. Which is why anything you say is hard to take seriously. Now I know I have a bias and I need to temper that when thinking about proposals. You on the other hand deny its obviously influence on your opinions making what you say ridiculous. Like when you said if Calgary was going to move Andersson they would want Matthews. That is just ridiculous
Aug. 16, 2020 at 9:58 p.m.
More justification and funny how you are wavering to say it's "probably moveable", still defending your hill that he has very little value because of his contract. You mentioned Kane had accomplished so much and that is why he isn't overpaid. Well Marner is extremely comparable vs Kane at the same age but somehow that doesn't matter, what matters is only whatever makes your bias against the Leafs justifyable. Which is why anything you say is hard to take seriously. Now I know I have a bias and I need to temper that when thinking about proposals. You on the other hand deny its obviously influence on your opinions making what you say ridiculous. Like when you said if Calgary was going to move Andersson they would want Matthews. That is just ridiculous

I never said he wasn't movable. Again putting words into my mouth. Again Kane was paid 6.3M for his first contract after ELC. You keep referring to me trying to justify some sort of hatred for the Leafs when I don't actually hate them and I don't really care if you personally can't take anything I say serious. Just don't respond. Why do you keep referring to a different thread? It's completely unrelated there was even a leafs fan in the same thread that said Calgary shouldn't move Andersson for Marner.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 10:00 p.m.
mostly harmless
Not seeing the benefit for Columbus there. That's a definite downgrade for only two late picks.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 10:42 p.m.
Banned
I never said he wasn't movable. Again putting words into my mouth. Again Kane was paid 6.3M for his first contract after ELC. You keep referring to me trying to justify some sort of hatred for the Leafs when I don't actually hate them and I don't really care if you personally can't take anything I say serious. Just don't respond. Why do you keep referring to a different thread? It's completely unrelated there was even a leafs fan in the same thread that said Calgary shouldn't move Andersson for Marner.

Kane should have made more when he was younger. The whole concept of paying guys big money at 28 vs 22 or 23 is just antiquated and frankly stupid. Marner is going to get paid his big contract during his best years. Guys who took this smaller deals and then for paid big at 28 often turn out to be declining assets. Look at Corey Perry for an example.
Aug. 16, 2020 at 10:44 p.m.
Kane should have made more when he was younger. The whole concept of paying guys big money at 28 vs 22 or 23 is just antiquated and frankly stupid. Marner is going to get paid his big contract during his best years. Guys who took this smaller deals and then for paid big at 28 often turn out to be declining assets. Look at Corey Perry for an example.

The concept of paying people before they achieve anything is also stupid no? Kane got his paycheck at probably the perfect time
Aug. 16, 2020 at 10:45 p.m.
Banned
The concept of paying people before they achieve anything is also stupid no?

In some cases but are you going to say that McDavid is over paid?
Aug. 16, 2020 at 10:46 p.m.
In some cases but are you going to say that McDavid is over paid?

McDavid is like how Crosby was, widely considered the best player in the league
Aug. 16, 2020 at 10:51 p.m.
Banned
McDavid is like how Crosby was, widely considered the best player in the league

And? Matthews is arguably the 4th best player in the league and yet somehow overpaid. Marner is one of the top playmakers in the game. They both are getting paid during their primes. Sure beats something like what Meier has going on in SJ. Sure his average right now is only 7 million but he's getting a 10 million dollar QO in his last RFA year. If they don't offer him a huge contract he is either just going accept the QO and go to FA or he's going to demand a salary starting at 10 million that'll stretch into his 30's. The contract for Marner is fine, it's not incredible but it isn't at all a problem and there are very few teams if any that wouldn't have interest if he was available. Trading him would not be hard and his return would be very big. But on this site, non bias people like you say "the flat cap means his contract is negative". It's just a foolish justification of you personal bias against the Leafs. It's as transparent as it gets. Deny it all you want but it's 100% clear.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll