Forums/Armchair-GM

As Per James Mirtle of The Athletic

Created by: MitchMarner_16
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 26, 2020
Published: Aug. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Leafs are reportedly ‘exploring the trade market’ for the following players.

Pierre Engvall
Andreas Johnsson
Alexander Kerfoot
Frédérik Andersen

What would you give for these players?
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
12$81,500,000$60,574,783$0$0$20,925,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:30 a.m.
How I value them, based on picks:

Engvall - 4th/5th
Johnsson - 3rd
Kerfoot - 3rd + 6th
Andersen - 3rd + 3rd or equivalent
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:36 a.m.
Quoting: villenash

Engvall - 4th/5th
Johnsson - 3rd
Kerfoot - 3rd + 6th

I think value for Andersen and Engvall is correct but undervaluing Johnsson and Kerfoot. Both are young, skilled and cost controlled.
MitchMarner_16 and Keaton1117 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:41 a.m.
Quoting: Rayzns
I think value for Andersen and Engvall is correct but undervaluing Johnsson and Kerfoot. Both are young, skilled and cost controlled.

I'm just not very impressed with Johnsson. He's given a prime spot with Marner, Tavares, Matthews, and Marner and doesn't really do that much with it. He's the definition of a 3rd liner and I don't see him producing more with lesser talent on other teams. Kerfoot had a down year, so I knocked his value down a bit. I value him higher than Johnsson though because he can play center, but I think he's a bit one-dimensional. They're fine complimentary pieces, but I don't think they're any more than that.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:46 a.m.

Engvall - 4th/5th
Johnsson - 3rd
Kerfoot - 3rd + 6th

If the Kapanen trade showed us anything its that these 40 point wingers are worth more than people on here see them. The idea that a 40 point NHL player is only worth a draft pick with a 15% chance of playing 99+ NHL games is just dumb.
Keaton1117 and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:50 a.m.
Quoting: Byrr
If the Kapanen trade showed us anything its that these 40 point wingers are worth more than people on here see them. The idea that a 40 point NHL player is only worth a draft pick with a 15% chance of playing 99+ NHL games is just dumb.

There are a lot of other factors in the Kapanen trade though. PIT is a team that is win-now mode and seem to have no regard for 1st round picks (1 in past 7 drafts I think), GMJR drafted Kapanen, GMJR has been making some questionable moves recently, and Kapanen is younger than both Johnsson and Kerfoot while putting up similar points. So just because Kapanen got an overpay doesn't mean that Johnsson or Kerfoot will.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:54 a.m.
There are a lot of other factors in the Kapanen trade though. PIT is a team that is win-now mode and seem to have no regard for 1st round picks (1 in past 7 drafts I think), GMJR drafted Kapanen, GMJR has been making some questionable moves recently, and Kapanen is younger than both Johnsson and Kerfoot while putting up similar points. So just because Kapanen got an overpay doesn't mean that Johnsson or Kerfoot will.

Kapanen was definitely an overpay but that doesnt change the fact that these established 40 point a season NHL players are worth more than a 15% chance at likely a depth player. The value just isnt there. Kapanen might have been an overpay but the idea that GMJR jumped from a 3rd in value to a 1st is just ridiculous. This is clearly a case of where posters on here are just being dumb.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:54 a.m.

I cant see johnsson going for anything less then a 2nd tho
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:58 a.m.
Kapanen was definitely an overpay but that doesnt change the fact that these established 40 point a season NHL players are worth more than a 15% chance at likely a depth player. The value just isnt there. Kapanen might have been an overpay but the idea that GMJR jumped from a 3rd in value to a 1st is just ridiculous. This is clearly a case of where posters on here are just being dumb.

Don't need to do any name calling for an honest opinion.

You have your opinions on player value and other people have theirs -- it's just a difference of opinion. You're a TOR fan so you probably value your players higher than some other people might. I'm sure I value some of NSH's players higher than others would too.

I value Kapanen over both Johnsson and Kerfoot. I value you him at a 2nd, and GMJR overpaid with a 1st.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 11:59 a.m.
Quoting: Keaton1117
I cant see johnsson going for anything less then a 2nd tho

That's fair. I just wouldn't personally pay that price.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 12:01 p.m.

Big difference with Johnsson and Kapanen is that the expiry of Kapanen's deal leaves him as an RFA while Johnsson will be a UFA at the end of his deal. On top of that, Kapanen is a year and a half younger, proven to be more durable and overall comes with more pedigree from NHL circles (1st rounder vs 7th rounder). Think pedigree is silly, but so are many other aspects of player valuation in the NHL (the idea of being "clutch" or putting loads of emphasis on small playoff sample sizes to name a few). Think Johnsson's value is a 3rd plus a more veteran prospect or cheaper bottom 6 player.

Offer from SJ would be Sorensen/Gambrell + 2021 3rd. Think most others would be about the same given the salary associated with a player that only has 125 games of NHL experience and will begin next season as a 26 year old.
MitchMarner_16 and villenash liked this.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 12:02 p.m.
I'm just not very impressed with Johnsson. He's given a prime spot with Marner, Tavares, Matthews, and Marner and doesn't really do that much with it. He's the definition of a 3rd liner and I don't see him producing more with lesser talent on other teams. Kerfoot had a down year, so I knocked his value down a bit. I value him higher than Johnsson though because he can play center, but I think he's a bit one-dimensional. They're fine complimentary pieces, but I don't think they're any more than that.

Byrr is right, Kerfoot and Johnnson are worth more then people on this site think they are. That's not to say they are worth what the leafs got for Kapanen, I think PIT way over paid. Johnnson hasn't yet been given a real chance to play in the top 6, I don't think he could ever crack to the !st line but I think he could middle six pretty much anywhere in the league. On top of that he has term at a fair value. That in itself is worth something.

Kerfoot I don't see ever being good enough to be a 2nd Line centre. I do see him being one of the best 3rd line centers, he's a smart player 2 way player and still has room to grow. Also, Cost controlled at fair value.
villenash and Keaton1117 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 12:08 p.m.
If they are just taking picks, Johnsson and Kerfoot could get you 2nd or 3rd.

But they will use to move cap so they can bring on a RHD, no? I think think any combination of these players gets you a RHD1.

And the thing about the PIT trade is that TOR didn't really clear any cap space with that deal. It was pretty much a wash.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 12:15 p.m.
Edited Aug. 26, 2020 at 12:22 p.m.
Anderson i would give a 2nd and maybe a middle to lower tier prospect
Kerfoot i would give maybe 2 3rd rounders, or a 3rd and a lower tier prospect
Don't have much interest in the other 2
Aug. 26, 2020 at 12:16 p.m.
Trading Engvall would be a massive mistake. He's so underrated. He drove our 4th line which was one of our best lines once we switched Engval and Gauthier.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 12:30 p.m.
Trad Breliving

there was also 6 other teams interested and probably making offers. so Rutherford had to act fast and make an offer he knew would get what he wanted. I also think given the team and system Kapanen can be a good top 6 player. he just didn’t fit with the Leafs system the best, that being said I am going to miss seeing Kappy in a Leafs jersey.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
If they are just taking picks, Johnsson and Kerfoot could get you 2nd or 3rd.

But they will use to move cap so they can bring on a RHD, no? I think think any combination of these players gets you a RHD1.

And the thing about the PIT trade is that TOR didn't really clear any cap space with that deal. It was pretty much a wash.

Depends on what you consider a RHD1. Ristolainen played RHD1 minutes, 22:47 a game, and is a consistent 40 point dman.

Rodriques qualifying offer is 2 mil. No chance Tor offers him 2 mil. The gist of the trade was Kapanen for a 1st, 15, and Hallinder. The rest is just noise...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll