Forums/Armchair-GM

One trade at a time for a total fix

Created by: TheDuminator
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 11, 2020
Published: Sep. 11, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I feel that NYR would ask for Caufield... but feel that it would be too much..
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,800,000
Trades
NYR
  1. Armia, Joel
  2. Brook, Josh
  3. Domi, Max [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
2020-2nd
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$74,122,976$0$3,987,500$7,377,024
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 11, 2020 at 9:37 a.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
We aren't interested.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 9:38 a.m.
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
We aren't interested.

neither are habs fans. so we agree. lol
Sep. 11, 2020 at 9:41 a.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Quoting: KMMHL2012
neither are habs fans. so we agree. lol

Cool.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 10:01 a.m.
We aren't interested.

honestly speaking, if you want to fill the 2 Center role you are going to have to give up one of Kreider, Kakko, Buchnevich or Panarin. Unless your plan is to trade 1st OVA! By my estimation Panarin, Kakko and 1st OVA are likely not being traded. So that leaves Kreider or Buchnevich the question then becomes who does your trade partner want. Likely 9 out of 10 teams are going to want Buchnevich as he is simply the better player. Most Montreal fans would consider a Kreider trade as sacrilegious after him injuring Price LOL. So your probably not getting an offer for Kreider to the Habs, so your going to have to suffer through a lot of Buchnevich proposals.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: Campabee
honestly speaking, if you want to fill the 2 Center role you are going to have to give up one of Kreider, Kakko, Buchnevich or Panarin. Unless your plan is to trade 1st OVA! By my estimation Panarin, Kakko and 1st OVA are likely not being traded. So that leaves Kreider or Buchnevich the question then becomes who does your trade partner want. Likely 9 out of 10 teams are going to want Buchnevich as he is simply the better player. Most Montreal fans would consider a Kreider trade as sacrilegious after him injuring Price LOL. So your probably not getting an offer for Kreider to the Habs, so your going to have to suffer through a lot of Buchnevich proposals.

He was tripped by Emelin clown.
BroadwayBlueshirts liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 10:23 a.m.
HabsFan
We aren't interested.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1912698
Sep. 11, 2020 at 10:31 a.m.

The issue with it for me is not trading Buch or DeAngelo, of course you have to give to get. I'm a big Buch fan which hurts but I know that he's an appealing piece for a lot of teams.

It's that the return, to me, isn't good enough. Brook is a throw-in; the whole reason we can trade DeAngelo is because we have no use for a mediocre prospect with Trouba and Fox here to stay and with Nils Lundkvist on the way for the bottom pairing spot. For us, Brook would just be another D prospect eating minutes in Hartford; it just doesn't move the needle. Armia is a pending UFA whose signing rights are not really worth anything (a player who would get big money like Kevin Hayes' signing rights was only like a 4th or 5th round pick, a player like Armia whose UFA market would be much smaller would be worth much less). If you removed those two pieces, it wouldn't change the value of the deal to me at all.

Domi and a 2nd are cool, but I'm personally not a big Max Domi fan, I personally wouldn't think to target him because a) I'm not certain the Rangers would be looking for another very offensively minded player who struggles defensively; I would think that they would be trying to target a player that brings more to the table defensively, since that's an area they struggle and b) I'm not convinced of his value as a 2C (though this is of course arguable, I'm not saying this as a "you're wrong" type comment, just explaining my pov).

The 2nd is nice because we don't have one this year but if we're trading NHL talent in Buch/DeAngelo for Domi to plug a hole at 2C, I don't think a future asset is something that's so appealing to the Rangers that it acts as the sweetener it is meant to be; if the Rangers are making a trade like this, it's to trade from a position of strength (winger that we have many of and our 3rd pairing RHD that should be playing a higher role and that we can replace with a prospect already in our pipeline in the next couple of years) to address a position of weakness (2C) in the interest of significantly improving the team right now, and the 2nd doesn't really help us do that directly.

It's not a bad idea by any stretch, there have been rumours I've seen of NYR inquiring about Domi, this is all just my personal take. I'm sure he would cost more, but I would personally be more interested in acquiring Danault because while he may not have the offensive abilities that Domi has, he brings a lot to the table defensively and in the faceoff circle that I think would be useful to diversify the Rangers and I think is a more steady C vs Domi being, to me, more of a winger, and probably would have similar contract demands. Again, not trying to dump on the proposal, just giving my opinion.
Daredevil514 liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 10:40 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Stop trying to trade us that piece of crap. No one wants him.
FiveForFighting liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 10:49 a.m.
Quoting: doabarrowroll
The issue with it for me is not trading Buch or DeAngelo, of course you have to give to get. I'm a big Buch fan which hurts but I know that he's an appealing piece for a lot of teams.

It's that the return, to me, isn't good enough. Brook is a throw-in; the whole reason we can trade DeAngelo is because we have no use for a mediocre prospect with Trouba and Fox here to stay and with Nils Lundkvist on the way for the bottom pairing spot. For us, Brook would just be another D prospect eating minutes in Hartford; it just doesn't move the needle. Armia is a pending UFA whose signing rights are not really worth anything (a player who would get big money like Kevin Hayes' signing rights was only like a 4th or 5th round pick, a player like Armia whose UFA market would be much smaller would be worth much less). If you removed those two pieces, it wouldn't change the value of the deal to me at all.

Domi and a 2nd are cool, but I'm personally not a big Max Domi fan, I personally wouldn't think to target him because a) I'm not certain the Rangers would be looking for another very offensively minded player who struggles defensively; I would think that they would be trying to target a player that brings more to the table defensively, since that's an area they struggle and b) I'm not convinced of his value as a 2C (though this is of course arguable, I'm not saying this as a "you're wrong" type comment, just explaining my pov).

The 2nd is nice because we don't have one this year but if we're trading NHL talent in Buch/DeAngelo for Domi to plug a hole at 2C, I don't think a future asset is something that's so appealing to the Rangers that it acts as the sweetener it is meant to be; if the Rangers are making a trade like this, it's to trade from a position of strength (winger that we have many of and our 3rd pairing RHD that should be playing a higher role and that we can replace with a prospect already in our pipeline in the next couple of years) to address a position of weakness (2C) in the interest of significantly improving the team right now, and the 2nd doesn't really help us do that directly.

It's not a bad idea by any stretch, there have been rumours I've seen of NYR inquiring about Domi, this is all just my personal take. I'm sure he would cost more, but I would personally be more interested in acquiring Danault because while he may not have the offensive abilities that Domi has, he brings a lot to the table defensively and in the faceoff circle that I think would be useful to diversify the Rangers and I think is a more steady C vs Domi being, to me, more of a winger, and probably would have similar contract demands. Again, not trying to dump on the proposal, just giving my opinion.

1. Brook is basically a throw in you are right but his ceiling is very good if he can put it together, that being said the Rangers are set on the right side so I don't see them wanting to take the chance on him. Instead I could see Harris being of interest the the Rangers and it doesn't mess with the Habs long term plans either. I think you're off a little on the value of Armia though, especially with the new rules limiting conditional picks to just being performance based. I don't think you can look at a players value as a rental anymore with a full year left on his contract. Armia at full value is worth between a late 1st and early 2nd in this years draft. I think you have to base his value at that even without an extension, but only when assessing a value as part of this type of deal cause your not really getting anything for Armia. Armia is just added here to add value from the Habs side, if the deal was just Armia for a pick then I think you value him as a rental and go Armia for a conditional 2022 3rd which upgrades to a 2nd if he plays 1 game for the Rangers in 2021-22. That makes up for not being able to add a conditional pick based on the player signing an extension. Just a loophole type of thing.

2. I get your view here

3. Yeah the 2nd makes more sense to add someone like Kulak, Mete or Yelonen instead as they are depth pieces and are worth about a 2nd or 3rd ish and would be more help to the rangers than the 2nd.
markmws liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 10:55 a.m.
Tiktok Celebrity
Quoting: BSpadaro83

Definitely, because when someone hooks your skates you go skate first. You're a ****.
markmws liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 11:02 a.m.
Mark
Quoting: Addison_Rae
Definitely, because when someone hooks your skates you go skate first. You're a ****.

OHHHHHH you just dropped the mike! smile
Sep. 11, 2020 at 11:03 a.m.
Am Yisrael Chai

Kreider can go. I don't care what people think we need. This offer is pathetic and Habs fans need to temper there expectations. Buchnevich out scored Domi and we're gonna act like it's our purchase?
I'll give Montreal CAR 1st and Gauthier or a B prospect for Domi. If you don't like it, Keep him.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 11:06 a.m.

What is with the name calling? This adds nothing to the conversation and I never said I WOULDN'T, I said MOST Habs fans wouldn't. I have already made a Kreider proposal.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 11:07 a.m.
HabsFan

I just went with the rumors out there and played it for both side as I do see a good fit for both IMO.
I think Domi playing as 2C would be even better then Strome who doesn't have a defensive side either... but that'S just me!
Brook is not a trow in as he could turn to be similare than DeAngelo... in a year or two where NYR would benefit on is ELC contract.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 12:18 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Stop trying to trade us that piece of crap. No one wants him.

Me when Canadiens fans try to trade us Domi instead of Danault
Sep. 11, 2020 at 1:08 p.m.
1. Brook is basically a throw in you are right but his ceiling is very good if he can put it together, that being said the Rangers are set on the right side so I don't see them wanting to take the chance on him. Instead I could see Harris being of interest the the Rangers and it doesn't mess with the Habs long term plans either. I think you're off a little on the value of Armia though, especially with the new rules limiting conditional picks to just being performance based. I don't think you can look at a players value as a rental anymore with a full year left on his contract. Armia at full value is worth between a late 1st and early 2nd in this years draft. I think you have to base his value at that even without an extension, but only when assessing a value as part of this type of deal cause your not really getting anything for Armia. Armia is just added here to add value from the Habs side, if the deal was just Armia for a pick then I think you value him as a rental and go Armia for a conditional 2022 3rd which upgrades to a 2nd if he plays 1 game for the Rangers in 2021-22. That makes up for not being able to add a conditional pick based on the player signing an extension. Just a loophole type of thing.

2. I get your view here

3. Yeah the 2nd makes more sense to add someone like Kulak, Mete or Yelonen instead as they are depth pieces and are worth about a 2nd or 3rd ish and would be more help to the rangers than the 2nd.

The Armia comment was my fault; I forgot that CF moved the year forward, so I thought that the last year of his contract was 19-20, not 20-21. I still don't value him that highly as a piece coming back in a deal that includes Buch; he's basically just a slightly older and imo slightly worse replacement for Buch, so I'm not a huge fan of it, but you can ignore all of the Kevin Hayes stuff; I thought Armia needed a new contract now, not next year.
Campabee liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 1:17 p.m.
Quoting: DomCholette
I just went with the rumors out there and played it for both side as I do see a good fit for both IMO.
I think Domi playing as 2C would be even better then Strome who doesn't have a defensive side either... but that'S just me!
Brook is not a trow in as he could turn to be similare than DeAngelo... in a year or two where NYR would benefit on is ELC contract.

I disagree with you about Brooks becoming DeAngelo, but that's fine; your mind is in the right place and the proposal isn't bad, I just think Brook is not a piece that makes the Rangers want to do this more than they already would.

Domi probably would be better than Strome, but that's not saying much. The reason I'm said what I said about a more defensive option is because clearly something about the team wasn't working. The Rangers for a long stretch last year were one of the worst defensive teams in the league, plus the Rangers are probably losing one of their best defensive players (Jesper Fast) in UFA, so I think bringing in someone with a little more defensive ability would make more sense when we were already a strong offensive team.

And I'm with you that there definitely have been rumours about Domi and NYR, I'm not saying the proposal is bad or anything, just giving my opinion of what I would do if I was NYR in this situation.
TheDuminator liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: Addison_Rae

lol his left skate goes first literally after emelin clips him there and lifts his leg up. I know physics and momentum are hard things to understand by rubes such as yourself, but cry me a river. Tokarski was better than series anyway.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 1:33 p.m.
lol his left skate goes first literally after emelin clips him there and lifts his leg up. I know physics and momentum are hard things to understand by rubes such as yourself, but cry me a river. Tokarski was better than series anyway.

Apparently you don't want to offer anything objective or constructive to this or any other conversation. You just like trolling and insulting everyone. I would be embarrassed to have you as part of my teams fanbase. Thank God your not a Habs fan and I can still be proud of being a member of a much classier fanfare that does not include the likes of you. It's really a shame you have to be such an a**clown cause most of your fan bases other members are very nice to interact with. They may say a trade is bad or rediculous but at least they state their reasoning and don't resort to insults. Your the very definition of an insult to a fan base and everything that is wrong with this world.
TheDuminator liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.
Apparently you don't want to offer anything objective or constructive to this or any other conversation. You just like trolling and insulting everyone. I would be embarrassed to have you as part of my teams fanbase. Thank God your not a Habs fan and I can still be proud of being a member of a much classier fanfare that does not include the likes of you. It's really a shame you have to be such an a**clown cause most of your fan bases other members are very nice to interact with. They may say a trade is bad or rediculous but at least they state their reasoning and don't resort to insults. Your the very definition of an insult to a fan base and everything that is wrong with this world.

dramatic much. Everything that is wrong with this world? settle down bucko.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
dramatic much. Everything that is wrong with this world? settle down bucko.

Yes everything that is wrong with this world! You tend to insult people over trying to see their point of view. Instead of trying to have a rational and constructive conversation your first instinct is to spread hate. In my opinion that is everything that is wrong with the world. Too many people spreading hate than those trying to understand the point of view from the other side.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 2:27 p.m.
HabsFan
I disagree with you about Brooks becoming DeAngelo, but that's fine; your mind is in the right place and the proposal isn't bad, I just think Brook is not a piece that makes the Rangers want to do this more than they already would.

Domi probably would be better than Strome, but that's not saying much. The reason I'm said what I said about a more defensive option is because clearly something about the team wasn't working. The Rangers for a long stretch last year were one of the worst defensive teams in the league, plus the Rangers are probably losing one of their best defensive players (Jesper Fast) in UFA, so I think bringing in someone with a little more defensive ability would make more sense when we were already a strong offensive team.

And I'm with you that there definitely have been rumours about Domi and NYR, I'm not saying the proposal is bad or anything, just giving my opinion of what I would do if I was NYR in this situation.

I appreciate your comments and this is why I have included Armia who is great defensively and can help (I can have insert Lehkonen instead as well)
Campabee liked this.
Sep. 11, 2020 at 2:30 p.m.
HabsFan
The Armia comment was my fault; I forgot that CF moved the year forward, so I thought that the last year of his contract was 19-20, not 20-21. I still don't value him that highly as a piece coming back in a deal that includes Buch; he's basically just a slightly older and imo slightly worse replacement for Buch, so I'm not a huge fan of it, but you can ignore all of the Kevin Hayes stuff; I thought Armia needed a new contract now, not next year.

In regards of Armia, it is to resolved NYR PK and to get a more cost control RW...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll