Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 21, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
Banned
@Lyle_Bubas @Byrr @Barilko14 @mhockey91 @rangerwall92 @aadoyle @JaredOfLondon

What'd you guys think of my addition of Sheary and Weegar?
mhockey91 and chungus liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 2:58 p.m.
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
@Lyle_Bubas @Byrr @Barilko14 @mhockey91 @rangerwall92 @aadoyle @JaredOfLondon

What'd you guys think of my addition of Sheary and Weegar?

Weeger won’t be traded he just resigned. Toronto should’ve traded Dermott+Johnsson for weeger rather than signing Brodie IMO
chungus, bhavikp27, VijayPatel11 and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:01 p.m.
I have my doubts about these anaylitical darling defensemen like Weegar and Demelo who even the analytically invested teams seem to be passing on. Fans seem to have much higher opinions of them than the pros do.
chungus liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:05 p.m.
Leafs2021
You would need more to acquire Weegar.
bhavikp27 and VijayPatel11 liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:05 p.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
Weeger won’t be traded he just resigned. Toronto should’ve traded Dermott+Johnsson for weeger rather than signing Brodie IMO

option A:
weegar $3.25M for 3 years

option B:
brodie $5M for 4 years
anderson $750K for 3 years
Dermott $875K for 1 year (presumably more years beyond this)

I would prefer option B personally. Weegar, despite leafs nation hype, has 1 exceptional season, 1 meh season, and 1 pretty solid season. He'll also be 27 once the season starts back up, so he's not exactly got more of a ceiling to grow. I would love to have weegar, but Dermott is still young, and I really like Joey Anderson and will be curious to see how he works his way into the lineup

basically, the leafs didn't wanna move dermott. And I agree, if he can manage to play the right side this season and become a budget nate schmidt as he enters his prime, that's some serious homegrown value for the leafs
PGHBOB69 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:17 p.m.
I don’t think c.sheary is a good idea at all. It just muddys up the bottom 6 more. And you could use that money on better things. And use that ice time for younger, better players that are more apart of your future.

And I don’t think Fla. is trading Weeger after they just signed him.

And I don’t think you are getting back a 2nd round pick for J.Holl and Engvall. Nate Schmidt only brought a 3rd round pick back to Vegas.

Besides that!! Great!! JK, solid effort!! I think most teams about now are standing pat and running with the team they got until a major injury, they see what they need, or someone starts struggling. I know, no fun!! But that’s probably the truth.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:20 p.m.
Edited Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:28 p.m.
Quoting: Lyle_Bubas
option A:

option B:
brodie $5M for 4 years

I would prefer option B personally. Weegar, despite leafs nation hype, has 1 exceptional season, 1 meh season, and 1 pretty solid season. He'll also be 27 once the season starts back up, so he's not exactly got more of a ceiling to grow. I would love to have weegar, but Dermott is still young, and I really like Joey Anderson and will be curious to see how he works his way into the lineup

basically, the leafs didn't wanna move dermott. And I agree, if he can manage to play the right side this season and become a budget nate schmidt as he enters his prime, that's some serious homegrown value for the leafs

I’m not sold of Brodie as a great fit in Toronto. A good offensive d!! Great on the point on the PP, not great defensively though.
mhockey91 liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:23 p.m.
option A:

option B:
brodie $5M for 4 years

Weeger last year was better than Brodie. He’s also a natural right shooting D. Dermott has had so much hype around him for years yet still hasn’t proven he’s anything more than a bottom pairing D. Joey Anderson is likely a career AHLer maybe a little 4th line here and there. Getting Weeger who is arguably better than Brodie (at least in his own end), and is a natural right D, and is nearly 2 million cheaper, seems like a better move
PGHBOB69 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:32 p.m.
Weeger last year was better than Brodie. He’s also a natural right shooting D. Dermott has had so much hype around him for years yet still hasn’t proven he’s anything more than a bottom pairing D. Joey Anderson is likely a career AHLer maybe a little 4th line here and there. Getting Weeger who is arguably better than Brodie (at least in his own end), and is a natural right D, and is nearly 2 million cheaper, seems like a better move

And Weegar actually hits someone.
mhockey91 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:40 p.m.
In Zito We Trust
For the love of god, stop the Weegar trades. And if you do make them, send something worthwhile to us...
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:40 p.m.
Banned

Thanks for the feedback. Brodie is a good defenceman but it probably would’ve been a better idea to trade for Weegar. Then maybe trade Holl + Engvall and use their cap space to offersheet Cernak or sign DeMelo.
mhockey91 liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: G0_Leafs_GO
You would need more to acquire Weegar.

Quoting: VijayPatel11
For the love of god, stop the Weegar trades. And if you do make them, send something worthwhile to us...

I made the trade based on what the Avalanche gave up for Devon Toews.
mhockey91 liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:49 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: PGHBOB69
I don’t think c.sheary is a good idea at all. It just muddys up the bottom 6 more. And you could use that money on better things. And use that ice time for younger, better players that are more apart of your future.

And I don’t think Fla. is trading Weeger after they just signed him.

And I don’t think you are getting back a 2nd round pick for J.Holl and Engvall. Nate Schmidt only brought a 3rd round pick back to Vegas.

Besides that!! Great!! JK, solid effort!! I think most teams about now are standing pat and running with the team they got until a major injury, they see what they need, or someone starts struggling. I know, no fun!! But that’s probably the truth.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I think you’re right, most teams are probably done making major moves for this offseason.

Statistically Sheary is a decent depth player. He generates a lot of shot attempts and scoring chances, but doesn’t have good skill and finishing. For 700K to play sheltered minutes on the fourth line with Thornton & Spezza seems pretty good to me.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 3:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

I never believed in that rumor as if it was that easy Dubas would have done so. I think the asking price was way more.

In general while I like Weegar, Brodie is perfect for the leafs system of focusing on puck possession and movement. Weegar was also nice but he excels in defensive plays rather than driving the puck

In general moving Johnsson for Anderson actually looks way better as if the marlies develop Anderson properly and he develops his game similar to Coleman we are set. Plus at 750k thats gonna be a steal
chungus and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 4:06 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I never believed in that rumor as if it was that easy Dubas would have done so. I think the asking price was way more.

In general while I like Weegar, Brodie is perfect for the leafs system of focusing on puck possession and movement. Weegar was also nice but he excels in defensive plays rather than driving the puck

In general moving Johnsson for Anderson actually looks way better as if the marlies develop Anderson properly and he develops his game similar to Coleman we are set. Plus at 750k thats gonna be a steal

Probably right about the asking price. That was just a rumour never confirmed.

Leafs need a guy more like weeger than Brodie though. They need someone who excels at defensive play. Again, not saying signing Brodie was a “bad” move. I think it’ll work out there. I just think if in fact this was the asking price for weeger (who knows), that would’ve been a better route to go, especially considering weeger contract.

Anderson turning into coleman is a lofty projection...
OldNYIfan and DartGuy86 liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 4:44 p.m.
Go leafs go

I wouldn't have hated that trade, but I much prefer having Anderson (Joey), Dermott and Brodie over Weegar.
Quoting: VijayPatel11

I'm glad I'm not the only on sick of those trades grin
OldNYIfan and VijayPatel11 liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 5:10 p.m.

well, the thing is, Weegar is gonna be 27 and he has one fantastic season with Ekblad under his belt (and a couple moderate to mediocre seasons). Brodie is 30 and has a career of being excellent.

Also, Dermott has been stuck behind other lefty dmen for his career and babs never wanted to play him on his off side. With keefe, trying him out on the right would mean he would effectively only be stuck behind Brodie. He's still very young and has all the tools in the toolbox to be a top 4 defenseman, he just hasn't put it together yet. This will be a big year for him, none the less.

Also lmao, Anderson a career AHLer? He's already played in the NHL as a 20-21 year old and looked extremely promising. 13 mins a night for 34 games he had 4 goals and 3 primary assists (7 points). The next year on a way worse Devils team, playing 13 minutes he had 4 goals, 2 assists for 6 points in 18 games. His defensive numbers took a huge step this year as well. He captained the US world junior team and NJD had him projected as the next Blake Coleman (who didn't even sniff the NHL until 25-26).
OldNYIfan and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 5:14 p.m.
well, the thing is, Weegar is gonna be 27 and he has one fantastic season with Ekblad under his belt (and a couple moderate to mediocre seasons). Brodie is 30 and has a career of being excellent.

Also, Dermott has been stuck behind other lefty dmen for his career and babs never wanted to play him on his off side. With keefe, trying him out on the right would mean he would effectively only be stuck behind Brodie. He's still very young and has all the tools in the toolbox to be a top 4 defenseman, he just hasn't put it together yet. This will be a big year for him, none the less.

Also lmao, Anderson a career AHLer? He's already played in the NHL as a 20-21 year old and looked extremely promising. 13 mins a night for 34 games he had 4 goals and 3 primary assists (7 points). The next year on a way worse Devils team, playing 13 minutes he had 4 goals, 2 assists for 6 points in 18 games. His defensive numbers took a huge step this year as well. He captained the US world junior team and NJD had him projected as the next Blake Coleman (who didn't even sniff the NHL until 25-26).

Weeger is also cheaper and a true right hand shot. I think its a better fit.
we will see what happens with dermott, this is a make or break year for him.
Anderson a career AHLer is a little harsh, you're right on that one. But I dont see him as being a Blake Coleman. its possible, but Coleman overachieved.
chungus liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 5:44 p.m.
In Pridham we trust

Kind of ironic to be writing off Dermott and Anderson, while praising a late bloomer that at the same age as Dermott was a bottom pairing/7th dman.

Additionally, as much as Weegar was everyone's favorite RHD target this off-season (myself included), apparently he's that rare right hander that prefers LD (per a former Panthers staff member on Twitter).
chungus liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 5:47 p.m.
Quoting: Barilko14
Kind of ironic to be writing off Dermott and Anderson, while praising a late bloomer that at the same age as Dermott was a bottom pairing/7th dman.

Additionally, as much as Weegar was everyone's favorite RHD target this off-season (myself included), apparently he's that rare right hander that prefers LD (per a former Panthers staff member on Twitter).

at least with Weeger there was no hype. Dermott has had expectations for years. Late bloomers are guys who didnt have much hype/ promise early on and slowly exponentially improved their game where as players like Dermott have plateaud (up to this point)

I never heard that about Weeger. could be true, but idk
Nov. 21, 2020 at 8:35 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
I made the trade based on what the Avalanche gave up for Devon Toews.

In terms of value, it's great I think. One of your better posts for sure. Thank you for keeping Marner's cap hit the same, really, thanks.
chungus liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 8:36 p.m.
Go leafs go

I agree with this.
chungus liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll