Graves to Detroit

Created by: Richard88
Team: 2020-21 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 28, 2021
Published: Jan. 28, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
COL
  1. Bernier, Jonathan ($1,500,000 retained)
  2. Nemeth, Patrik ($1,500,000 retained)
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (DET)
COL
    Avs get a backup/3rd goalie who can cover for Francouz who is on IR, along with a direct short-term replacement for Graves.

Nemeth and Bernier are both former Avs so they can slot into the club seamlessly.
    DET
      Detroit get the best player in the trade, a LHD with some term in his prime who can partner Hronek or Seider in the top 4.

Detroit retains 50% to balance the salary going each way.
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the COL
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      20$81,500,000$76,628,887$0$5,000,000$4,871,113
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
      $5,571,429$5,571,429
      LW, C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $6,300,000$6,300,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $9,250,000$9,250,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 5
      $4,900,000$4,900,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 3
      $3,900,000$3,900,000
      RW
      UFA - 3
      $2,850,000$2,850,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $874,125$874,125
      C
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,100,000$4,100,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $3,333,333$3,333,333
      G
      UFA - 1
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
      LD/RD
      RFA - 3
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 7
      Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 3
      Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
      $0$0
      LD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      Taxi Squad
      $2,250,000$2,250,000 ($1,175,000$1M$1,175,000$1M)
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      RD
      RFA - 1
      $842,500$842,500 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
      G
      UFA - 1
      $725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 1:54 a.m.
      What in tarnation
      Makes sense. I kinda like it. Think COL could probably get even more than this.
      Richard88 and Internetkingz liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:02 a.m.
      John 3 16
      @Jfstompers would you do this trade?
      aedoran liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:05 a.m.
      John 3 16
      Quoting: justaBoss
      Makes sense. I kinda like it. Think COL could probably get even more than this.

When you say "more", do you mean a higher pick?

It makes a tonne of sense to me, I like it as well. It solves the goalie issue for Colorado affordably, and also gets a direct replacement for Graves. And whilst Nemeth is worse than Graves and older, he actually fits the 3rd pairing PK role a little better than Graves, who is really more suited to a more offensive D pairing than a purely defensive pairing.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 3:21 a.m.
      What in tarnation
      Quoting: Richard88

It makes a tonne of sense to me, I like it as well. It solves the goalie issue for Colorado affordably, and also gets a direct replacement for Graves. And whilst Nemeth is worse than Graves and older, he actually fits the 3rd pairing PK role a little better than Graves, who is really more suited to a more offensive D pairing than a purely defensive pairing.

I think two thirds could be realistic. Like 2021 VGK 3rd and 2022 DET 3rd.

Would make sense for the Avs to add on these picks as they're lacking 2nd rounders for both this and the next year.
      Richard88 liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 7:40 a.m.
      I like this from Detroit’s perspective. Nemeth and Bernier have both played big roles in Detroit but both have expiring contracts. If we could trade them for a guy like Graves who would provide short-term and long-term help for our defense, I’d do it.
      aedoran, Richard88 and TJTwolf liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 8:06 a.m.
      PlusMinus is stupid
      In a year where the expansion draft is coming, this makes no sense. This just means we have to expose and probably lose a younger defenseman, as we'd have to protect Graves after giving up an asset to get him. Also, now we have a hole in net and just gave up our best PK dman. Unless it's picks or high end prospects that are expansion exempt coming back, a trade like this just makes no sense for Detroit this year.
      aedoran and BStinson liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 10:48 a.m.
      Bernier + Cholowski for Graves
      BStinson liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 12:11 p.m.
      I’d do one of Nemeth or Bernier with retention but not both as they’ll have value at the TDL. My rationalization is that Toews (vastly superior defender to Graves) went for two late second rounders. Yes, Colorado used cap leverage against the Islanders but Detroit had more cap so that’s a moot point. Another is expansion draft protection slots which Detroit should leverage against Colorado. Let’s say with retention that Bernier and Nemeth at minimum return a third at the TDL then that’s at minimum 3x third rounders vs 2x seconds rounders for Toews. It gets worse when you think about Schmidt for a lonely third.
      aedoran liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 2:08 p.m.
      Go Avs Go
      I like the trade maybe try and mix in one more pic or player to fill Calvert's spot or trade for a filler.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 5:33 p.m.
      John 3 16
      Quoting: DeadWingsv2
      In a year where the expansion draft is coming, this makes no sense. This just means we have to expose and probably lose a younger defenseman, as we'd have to protect Graves after giving up an asset to get him. Also, now we have a hole in net and just gave up our best PK dman. Unless it's picks or high end prospects that are expansion exempt coming back, a trade like this just makes no sense for Detroit this year.

Graves is better than Cholowski and Stecher and would improve your team, even if you lose one of Cholowski or Stecher in expansion.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 5:33 p.m.
      I'd say with the retention the Avs have to add a late pick.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 5:38 p.m.
      John 3 16
      Quoting: BStinson
      I’d do one of Nemeth or Bernier with retention but not both as they’ll have value at the TDL. My rationalization is that Toews (vastly superior defender to Graves) went for two late second rounders. Yes, Colorado used cap leverage against the Islanders but Detroit had more cap so that’s a moot point. Another is expansion draft protection slots which Detroit should leverage against Colorado. Let’s say with retention that Bernier and Nemeth at minimum return a third at the TDL then that’s at minimum 3x third rounders vs 2x seconds rounders for Toews. It gets worse when you think about Schmidt for a lonely third.

Toews was an RFA with only 1 year of team control left, which makes a massive difference to his valuation. Sure, a lesser team might have traded 2 2nd's for him like Colorado did, but chances are that he doesn't sign a long-term deal on a bad team.

The Toews and Graves situations couldn't be any more different due to the term on the contracts. Graves is cost controlled for 3 years which is very different. Unlike NYI Colorado are not in a position where they are forced to trade Graves.

The Schmidt trade also isn't really a good comparable, because again that was all about capspace and very little else. This trade with Graves would be a pure hockey trade, and Detroit would be upgrading their D group for the long term.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 5:38 p.m.
      John 3 16
      Quoting: Internetkingz
      I like the trade maybe try and mix in one more pic or player to fill Calvert's spot or trade for a filler.

Who on Detroit's roster do you think could adequately replace Calvert?
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 5:55 p.m.
      Toews was an RFA with only 1 year of team control left, which makes a massive difference to his valuation. Sure, a lesser team might have traded 2 2nd's for him like Colorado did, but chances are that he doesn't sign a long-term deal on a bad team.

The Toews and Graves situations couldn't be any more different due to the term on the contracts. Graves is cost controlled for 3 years which is very different. Unlike NYI Colorado are not in a position where they are forced to trade Graves.

The Schmidt trade also isn't really a good comparable, because again that was all about capspace and very little else. This trade with Graves would be a pure hockey trade, and Detroit would be upgrading their D group for the long term.

Hard to say if Toews would’ve signed an extension with a non-playoff team, maybe he would’ve wanted more money or felt comfortable with the coaching staff/teammates. The point is multiple teams had the the available cap space to acquire Toews and to a lesser extent Schmidt. The point is that yes Colorado isn’t in a cap crunch but they’re in an expansion draft crunch which is the same thing for leverage. So why would Detroit pay comparable or slightly less for a vastly inferior player? The whole point is that Detroit could trade Nemeth/Bernier for picks and then just acquire Graves for pennies on the dollar pre-expansion if they were interested in him. We have to consider who would Detroit expose to keep Graves? Is it that big of a difference or would the FO prefer to get expansion exempt players?
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 6:11 p.m.
      John 3 16
      Hard to say if Toews would’ve signed an extension with a non-playoff team, maybe he would’ve wanted more money or felt comfortable with the coaching staff/teammates. The point is multiple teams had the the available cap space to acquire Toews and to a lesser extent Schmidt. The point is that yes Colorado isn’t in a cap crunch but they’re in an expansion draft crunch which is the same thing for leverage. So why would Detroit pay comparable or slightly less for a vastly inferior player? The whole point is that Detroit could trade Nemeth/Bernier for picks and then just acquire Graves for pennies on the dollar pre-expansion if they were interested in him. We have to consider who would Detroit expose to keep Graves? Is it that big of a difference or would the FO prefer to get expansion exempt players?

I think you're overstating the Colorado "expansion draft crunch". Avs will have no problem letting Seattle take one of Graves/Compher/Donskoi. In fact the way the roster is structured I think they even expect to get one of those contracts off the books in the ExD.

Why would Colorado trade Graves for pennies on the dollar pre-expansion? There's no reason for that. If they trade Graves for a pick or whatever they'd be losing Graves for cheap PLUS another guy who Seattle pick. Teams who tried to get clever with Vegas almost all lost those deals.

You could trade Nemeth and Bernier for picks, sure. But I doubt Yzerman wants to be stuck in a rebuild forever, and if he could get a guy who can play in the top 4 for 2.5 seasons as a steadying presence for Seider or Hronek then I think he'd do it. Keep in mind that Detroit has multiple roster spots to fill on D in the offseason, and getting guys like Staal as stopgaps each year isn't going to be a viable strategy if the team wants to develop some cohesion.

Moreover, you might get a couple of 3rd's for Bernier and Nemeth at the deadline. But you might get worse than that also. Namestnikov went for a 4th last year for instance.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 6:20 p.m.
      I think you're overstating the Colorado "expansion draft crunch". Avs will have no problem letting Seattle take one of Graves/Compher/Donskoi. In fact the way the roster is structured I think they even expect to get one of those contracts off the books in the ExD.

Why would Colorado trade Graves for pennies on the dollar pre-expansion? There's no reason for that. If they trade Graves for a pick or whatever they'd be losing Graves for cheap PLUS another guy who Seattle pick. Teams who tried to get clever with Vegas almost all lost those deals.

You could trade Nemeth and Bernier for picks, sure. But I doubt Yzerman wants to be stuck in a rebuild forever, and if he could get a guy who can play in the top 4 for 2.5 seasons as a steadying presence for Seider or Hronek then I think he'd do it. Keep in mind that Detroit has multiple roster spots to fill on D in the offseason, and getting guys like Staal as stopgaps each year isn't going to be a viable strategy if the team wants to develop some cohesion.

Moreover, you might get a couple of 3rd's for Bernier and Nemeth at the deadline. But you might get worse than that also. Namestnikov went for a 4th last year for instance.

I think your underestimating your expansion protections. If Seattle was to take Compher or Donskoi they’d be doing you a favor as they’re not worth their cap hits. So if you could rid yourself of Graves + Compher/Donskoi that frees up considerable cap for Makar and Landeskog extensions.

Having multiple draft picks + free cap space doesn’t mean you’re constantly in rebuild mode but rather you can sign FAs plus add to your prospect pool for valuable ELCs.
      DeadWingsv2 and Richard88 liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 6:29 p.m.
      John 3 16
      I think your underestimating your expansion protections. If Seattle was to take Compher or Donskoi they’d be doing you a favor as they’re not worth their cap hits. So if you could rid yourself of Graves + Compher/Donskoi that frees up considerable cap for Makar and Landeskog extensions.

Having multiple draft picks + free cap space doesn’t mean you’re constantly in rebuild mode but rather you can sign FAs plus add to your prospect pool for valuable ELCs.

Yes, it would be nice to have capspace, but the Avs really only need one $3m contract to go off the books this offseason to stay under the cap ceiling. There's no reason to give away an additional player on the cheap.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 6:35 p.m.
      Go Avs Go
      Who on Detroit's roster do you think could adequately replace Calvert?

FILPPULA or Ryan would probably be the logical choices, does they completely replace Calvert no, but could offer some aspects of Calverts role. This is based on the fact I like the trade and just want to squeeze every possible bit of value possible and the recent news which was after you made this post. If nothing else could be workable in a future trade possibly.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 6:39 p.m.
      PlusMinus is stupid
      Graves is better than Cholowski and Stecher and would improve your team, even if you lose one of Cholowski or Stecher in expansion.

Cholowski hasn't even had a chance to prove himself and I'm not even talking about him or Stetcher anyways. Hronek, Lindstrom and Dekeyser... now we're out of protections. You're value isn't bad, it just doesn't make any sense as far as asset management, especially for where we are at in our rebuild.
      Richard88 liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 6:52 p.m.
      Yes, it would be nice to have capspace, but the Avs really only need one $3m contract to go off the books this offseason to stay under the cap ceiling. There's no reason to give away an additional player on the cheap.

No team wants to give a player away for cheap but a stagnant cap ceiling threw a wrench in a bunch of front office’s plans. Now it’s even more important to have team friendly deals on contenders.
      Richard88 and DeadWingsv2 liked this.
      Jan. 28, 2021 at 10:35 p.m.
      Pop Pop
      @Jfstompers would you do this trade?

I'm super disappointed in make the play so far , id do it. Graves upgrades the blue line alot and long term.
      Richard88 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll