SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:46 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
So I’ve been gone for most of the day, so post on recent news

Why is Matthews on the cover again? Though i guess it’s logical since it will have a high expectation only to disappoint
Frans Nielsen buyout, sure, guess Detroit wanted the roster spot, doesn’t really change anything
Arizona is playing their last season in Glendale, to be expected, they’ll probably move somewhere else in AZ

Or they’ll move to Houston. All the signs are pointing towards that.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:47 p.m.
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
Jared McCann will not score 30 goals this year. The most amount of goals he scored in a season is 14… there is no way he doubles that even on Seattle. Yes, he will probably be a 2c, but he will have Calle Jarnkrok, and Joonas Donskoi on his wings, and if he is the 3c, he will have Brendan Tanev, and Mason Appleton on his wings. Those do not sound like type of players that can put the puck on McCann’s stick so he can net in 30. You gotta remember, that after their first line, the talent drops off significantly! The leafs obviously like Kerfoot more than McCann, and they want him. I mean, he will better than McCaan in the playoffs, so they need that especially after losing Hyman. They have to have guys that are good in the playoffs if they want to win.

McCann was on pace for 26 goals last season averaging 14 min per game. His most common linemates at even strength were Jeff Carter/Jason Zucker. He’ll have Schwartz/Eberle to start the year and at worst he’ll have Jarnkrok/Donskoi who are similar players to Carter/Zucker. He’ll likely get 18-19 min in Seattle with PP1 time. He has a good chance at scoring 30 next season.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.
Quoting: Dzinger18
I seriously can't believe that I just spent 5 minutes of my day reading an NHL.com article about how the Islanders seek to go deeper in the playoffs by adding Richard Panik and losing Eberle and Leddy.

Just as crazy as how Yanni Gourde is on Craig Button's team Canada Olympic roster, right AndrewLadd ?

Yeah, not a smart move to write an article about the isles offseason moves when most of the signings haven’t been announced yet.

Panik likely won’t even make the team…
Zinger liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Or they’ll move to Houston. All the signs are pointing towards that.

I don’t know whether Alex Meruelo cares if they’re in Arizona or not, but 1 year is still may too soon for the team to move to a different state.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:05 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Juiceman
Matthew is cover athlete because he is good for marketing and will make them money

Does anyone actually buy the game because of the cover athlete? I mean if you like Matthews that much you can just print a photo of him or keep a photo of him as your screensaver.

I mean having Matthews on the cover might even tip me over the edge to not buying it, since I don’t want to see his ugly face every time I want to play an NHL game.
Juiceman, Devil and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:06 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I don’t know whether Alex Meruelo cares if they’re in Arizona or not, but 1 year is still may too soon for the team to move to a different state.

Arizona isn’t making any money. If it continues like this, they’ll have no choice but to relocate
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:06 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Does anyone actually buy the game because of the cover athlete? I mean if you like Matthews that much you can just print a photo of him or keep a photo of him as your screensaver.

I mean having Matthews on the cover might even tip me over the edge to not buying it, since I don’t want to see his ugly face every time I want to play an NHL game.

People get upset about the dumbest things, I swear

Also I don’t know if the cover athlete matters but they aren’t gonna use a player that isn’t popular
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:09 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Arizona isn’t making any money. If it continues like this, they’ll have no choice but to relocate

I agree the Yotes need to find a long-term home, wherever that may be, but there’s no way they can find a long-term arena and go through with all of the logistics in time for next season.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:10 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
I agree the Yotes need to find a long-term home, wherever that may be, but there’s no way they can find a long-term arena and go through with all of the logistics in time for next season.

Well I’m pretty sure they are gonna play in Tempe or whatever
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:27 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Top 5 options for Coyotes relocation are: Houston, Quebec City, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Saskatoon
EsoYeezus69, Zinger, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:30 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Devil1122
Top 5 options for Coyotes relocation are: Houston, Quebec City, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Saskatoon

Milwaukee is most likely.
I’d like to see a team in North Dakota
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:38 p.m.
Jinx god

Mark off Saskatoon and Quebec City because Bettman is still in charge. You take Kansas City’s population and combine it with Milwaukee’s and double it up, it’s still short of Houston’s population.

With the fact that Dallas has had one of the better attendances in the last few years with the 2nd highest populated winter classic in history, and also the fact that they’re in the central makes their chances bigger because Houston would also be in the central. The money is there, the opportunities are also there, so why not? A Dallas Houston rivalry would get a ton if money for both teams.
Juiceman, A_Habs_fan and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:42 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Mark off Saskatoon and Quebec City because Bettman is still in charge. You take Kansas City’s population and combine it with Milwaukee’s and double it up, it’s still short of Houston’s population.

With the fact that Dallas has had one of the better attendances in the last few years with the 2nd highest populated winter classic in history, and also the fact that they’re in the central makes their chances bigger because Houston would also be in the central. The money is there, the opportunities are also there, so why not? A Dallas Houston rivalry would get a ton if money for both teams.

The Texas standoff. Sounds epic
EsoYeezus69 and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:44 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Db1899
Bottom line is Dubas could have protected McCann over Holl , he chose not to. McCann is a high end 2nd line forward, Holl is an average 3rd pairing caliber defenseman. Dubas took advantage and fleeced Ron Hextall and then made an even worse move by leaving Mcann exposed. McCann is also miles better than Kerfoot (who was pretty much a slightly above average 4th liner last season).

Holl is a low end 2nd pairing defenseman.
McCann is a low end second liner, not a high end one.

There was nothing wrong with this decision as there was no good options to replace Holl in FA.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
So I’ve been gone for most of the day, so post on recent news

Why is Matthews on the cover again? Though i guess it’s logical since it will have a high expectation only to disappoint
Frans Nielsen buyout, sure, guess Detroit wanted the roster spot, doesn’t really change anything
Arizona is playing their last season in Glendale, to be expected, they’ll probably move somewhere else in AZ

Why is Matthews on the cover you may ask. Money

I dont know what else to say lul

Expecting Mcdavid on NHL 23 followed by Draisaitl on NHL 24
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:46 p.m.
Go leafs go

Quoting: justaBoss
Get a team in Saskatoon. Cover the whole nation with NHL teams lol.

If this happens I'll likely become a coyotes (or whatever they are called at that point, probably not coyotes) fan.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:47 p.m.
Go leafs go

Why a different state? Why not a different province?
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:50 p.m.
Go leafs go

Defiantly agree, Houston is going to have the yotes in 2022-23.

Milwaukee is most likely.
I’d like to see a team in North Dakota

North Dakota team would be nice, but Houston is defiantly the most likely.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:53 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Dzinger18
I seriously can't believe that I just spent 5 minutes of my day reading an NHL.com article about how the Islanders seek to go deeper in the playoffs by adding Richard Panik and losing Eberle and Leddy.

Just as crazy as how Yanni Gourde is on Craig Button's team Canada Olympic roster, right AndrewLadd ?

As I've been on capfriendly, I've realized how garbage nhl.com is. It's only good for checking game scores, stats and standings (which is what I use it for). For any other news, it sucks.
Zinger liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:56 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Saskleaf
Why a different state? Why not a different province?

Cause Gary Bettman hates Canada with a burning passion
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:58 p.m.
Go leafs go
Cause Gary Bettman hates Canada with a burning passion

Ya, I really hope Bettman is somehow fired in the near future but you're right.
Juiceman liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 5:59 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Ya, I really hope Bettman is somehow fired in the near future but you're right.

Well the American market probably likes him and because of him, America has more teams so he’s unfortunately gonna stay arohnd for a while
Saskleaf and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 6:02 p.m.
Holl is a low end 2nd pairing defenseman.
McCann is a low end second liner, not a high end one.

There was nothing wrong with this decision as there was no good options to replace Holl in FA.

McCann is definitely a high end 2nd liner. His team scores goals at an elite rate when he’s on the ice, was on pace for 61 points last season.

Aug. 19, 2021 at 6:04 p.m.
Go leafs go
McCann is definitely a high end 2nd liner. His team scores goals at an elite rate when he’s on the ice, was on pace for 61 points last season.

He has strong potential but he's not there yet. I'd like to see another season of 61 point pace before we call him a high end second liner.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 6:16 p.m.
McCann was on pace for 26 goals last season averaging 14 min per game. His most common linemates at even strength were Jeff Carter/Jason Zucker. He’ll have Schwartz/Eberle to start the year and at worst he’ll have Jarnkrok/Donskoi who are similar players to Carter/Zucker. He’ll likely get 18-19 min in Seattle with PP1 time. He has a good chance at scoring 30 next season.

I doubt he will have Schwartz, and Eberle as his wingers, also, Zucker, and Carter are better than Jarnkrok, and Donskoi in my opinion. I just don’t see him being able to get 30 goals… maybe 20, but not 30. That’s just my opinion,

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll