SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:27 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
Definitely, but 30 seems a little too much to me… also, Karlsson had better wingers to play with.

I know but in both scenarios, they were players who were deemed expendable. Florida literally gave two of Vegas’ best players to take another guy. It’s all about hindsight. Who knows, maybe these guys will have breakout years.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:28 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: aadoyle
Its time to break the cycle like St.Louis and Chicago did

Time for healthy wrist Matthews to score 60 goals and rocket out of the building

Its time for Bunting pucks into the net and Kase in our W's

We wont let a game dictate the future for the future has many paths and legacies

And we will storm the beaches of Normandy and dab on those evil beings

Besides the presidents trophy curse is way worse lul

Nah fam, healthy Comeau easily pots 70 and wins us the cup.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:29 p.m.
Jinx god
Edited Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:36 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
Hot Take: McCann breaks out with 20+ goals and leads kraken in points

That’ll be the job of Team Canada member Yanni Gourde, eh @AndrewLadd
Saskleaf and AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
I know but in both scenarios, they were players who were deemed expendable. Florida literally gave two of Vegas’ best players to take another guy. It’s all about hindsight. Who knows, maybe these guys will have breakout years.

They may, but yah I don’t know. Just 30 goals seems like way too much to me. I mean, he could, but I just don’t see it.. if he had better wingers, then maybe, but with what he has, he won’t in my opinion.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:31 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Db1899
Holl plays top 4 minutes , that doesn’t mean he’s a top 4 caliber D. He’s carried by Muzzin. Last season Holl was below average at both ends of the ice. If Dubas is such a good GM, then he should have the creativity to replace Holl through free agency/trade.

Mccann is a lot better than a 3rd liner and Holl is a 3rd pairing D. It should have been a simple decision. This is the type of move that leafs fans would troll Habs/Oilers for if their GMs made a similar move.

I doubt Toronto would've been able to replace Holl. None of the players you listed above are better than him. He can easily slide him down the lineup if Lijegren or Dermott start to take over, and he pairs well with Muzzin. You're reading way too much into this. McCann would've been a decent addition to the team but I understand why Dubas did what he did.
Former Hockey Fan
“With an increased focus on larger, more impactful events and uses of the city-owned arena, the city of Glendale has chosen to not renew the operating agreement for the Arizona Coyotes beyond the coming 2021-22 season,” a statement from the city reads.

Damn, shots fired.

Does Phoenix still have an NHL-level arena? Because if it does that’s likely where they end up, since you can’t build an arena in a year.
Devil, EsoYeezus69 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Quoting: mondo
Lou didn't stay around long enough to see the consequences of a number of his actions. He left a number of poor contracts and a barren prospect pool behind him. Think it's also erroneous to believe that the team failing in the playoffs constantly is entirely on Dubas rather than the performance of the top players. You seriously can't tell me that the 2018 playoff team is better than the 2021 one, regardless of results. Lou having some undeserved success in Long Island doesn't mean that would be replicated in Toronto.

Another thing that I don't agree on is that he would've negotiated the Matthews/Marner/Nylander contracts "better". He gets a lot of credit for the Kadri and Rielly signings but at least two of those guys are on a different level. Plus, the way he handled Marner's ELC signing is one of the reasons he held out for so much.

Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:32 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Dubas would have to trade for the majority of those guys and it would be a minimum of a third round pick most likely going back. TVR is worse than Holl, Jensen provides no offense and is not much of an upgrade, Miller stinks and costs more, Yzerman would get more than he should for stetcher who really is expiring this season. Cole makes 900k than Holl who is signed for an extra year and Hakanpaa is not a top 4 guy on any team as its the third pair is where he thrives.

So in a sense leafs would be spending more than they would on Holl in either draft picks or actual salary.

Jensen is better than Holl, TVR and Holl have similar impacts. Miller only has a year left and he plays for a terrible Buffalo team, with retained salary it’s a worthwhile bet. Hakanpaa is strictly a defensive defenseman but he would be good with Muzzin in a shutdown role.

Keeping McCann would be worth it. The value he provides is worth a 1st + good prospect. He would also be able to fill the Hyman role. Two way forwards who can score 25-30 goals don’t grow on trees.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:32 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Dzinger18
I seriously can't believe that I just spent 5 minutes of my day reading an NHL.com article about how the Islanders seek to go deeper in the playoffs by adding Richard Panik and losing Eberle and Leddy.

Just as crazy as how Yanni Gourde is on Craig Button's team Canada Olympic roster, right AndrewLadd ?

Well I mean they could easily go to the cup finals, but it won’t be because of Richard Panik.
Zinger liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:33 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: GarthBrooks

This was the moment I knew the Maple Leafs were going to lose game 7.
GarthBrooks liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:34 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
“With an increased focus on larger, more impactful events and uses of the city-owned arena, the city of Glendale has chosen to not renew the operating agreement for the Arizona Coyotes beyond the coming 2021-22 season,” a statement from the city reads.

Damn, shots fired.

Does Phoenix still have an NHL-level arena? Because if it does that’s likely where they end up, since you can’t build an arena in a year.

They have a NBA arena

Footprint Center, home of the Phoenix Suns (what a weird name)
EsoYeezus69 and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:37 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Devil1122
They have a NBA arena

They won’t be able to afford it.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:38 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
They won’t be able to afford it.

Time to relocate to Quebec
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:38 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: justaBoss
Get a team in Saskatoon. Cover the whole nation with NHL teams lol.

Also get a team in New Brunswick, do that so we can have leverage for the Comeau fight.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:39 p.m.
torontos finest
They have a NBA arena

They already tried sharing an arena, and it went as well as the Barclays Center did. The Footprint Center wasn't built to accommodate an ice rink.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:39 p.m.
Jinx god
Time to relocate to Quebec

Chances are that Bettman won’t miss the chance of moving to Houston. Both of them are good choices, but knowing Bettman another Canadian team will likely not happen.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:40 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
They already tried sharing an arena, and it went as well as the Barclays Center did. The Footprint Center wasn't built to accommodate an ice rink.

They can just find any minor league rink where Peewee kids play since that’s the level of hockey they are gonna be playing next year…
I doubt Toronto would've been able to replace Holl. None of the players you listed above are better than him. He can easily slide him down the lineup if Lijegren or Dermott start to take over, and he pairs well with Muzzin. You're reading way too much into this. McCann would've been a decent addition to the team but I understand why Dubas did what he did.

Jensen and Stetcher are better than Holl. It’s really not hard to look good playing with Muzzin, he’s a top 20 defenseman.

Mccann + any of the D I listed would likely make the leafs a better team than sticking with Kerfoot + Holl. McCann was on pace for 61 pts last season with great underlying numbers, he would have been a perfect fit with Matthews and Marner.
Jinx god

Oh boy that was eye bulging, please for the love of god don’t share with an NBA team ever again.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:41 p.m.
torontos finest
They can just find any minor league rink where Peewee kids play since that’s the level of hockey they are gonna be playing next year…

you laugh but that coyotes team could roll the abbotsford canucks
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:41 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
They have a NBA arena

So yeah, that’s the Arena they used to play out of until they moved to Glendale in 2003. It doesn’t have an ideal capacity for an NHL rink, but it’s not like the Yotes would be selling out games, since the team is really bad right now. Now this is likely their only option, and they’d need the city of Phoenix to allow them to lease there.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:42 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
you laugh but that coyotes team could roll the abbotsford canucks

Bruh have you not seen the amount of sheer amount of homegrown players Abby has now? Nothing beats family
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:42 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan

They played out of the arena before, so you’d think it would suffice in a pinch.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:43 p.m.
So I’ve been gone for most of the day, so post on recent news

Why is Matthews on the cover again? Though i guess it’s logical since it will have a high expectation only to disappoint
Frans Nielsen buyout, sure, guess Detroit wanted the roster spot, doesn’t really change anything
Arizona is playing their last season in Glendale, to be expected, they’ll probably move somewhere else in AZ
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:44 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
So I’ve been gone for most of the day, so post on recent news

Why is Matthews on the cover again? Though i guess it’s logical since it will have a high expectation only to disappoint
Frans Nielsen buyout, sure, guess Detroit wanted the roster spot, doesn’t really change anything
Arizona is playing their last season in Glendale, to be expected, they’ll probably move somewhere else in AZ

Matthew is cover athlete because he is good for marketing and will make them money

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll