Forums/Armchair-GM

Throwing Things at the Wall

Created by: Fuzz738
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 17, 2021
Published: Jun. 17, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not a whole lot of picks to work with this season, most of this involves me just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks.

If the AAV values seem high its because I'm going on the assumption that no one's gonna be taking a discount to come play for us, and adding a bit of a "Canadian Market" premium.

UFAs:
- Saad likely doesn't get 6M from a COL that needs to extend a UFA Grubauer and Landeskog + RFA Makar (among others), that have 18M space total at the beginning of the season. Guy knows how to find the back of the net, and could slot in either 1st or 2nd LW.

- Janmark can pop off when he needs to, solid 3C, not a reclamation project unlike Turris who crased and burned. A solid pay bump could be enough to draw him our way.

- Oleksiak fills a hole in the LD that's sorely needed filling. Laggy's done fine paired with Larsson, but that's a very shallow left side in the event of injury. Honestly the bottom 2 pairings would likely be a bit of a blender, Oleksiak, Laggy, and KRussel can slot in 2nd or 3rd pairing if needed, and if Broberg cracks the lineup then we're aces all around. Bouchard has shown time and again he's worth having in the lineup, and I may die inside if we bench him for most of next season again. Being able to throw a vet on his line in Oleksiak/KRussel also helps him be able to focus on his game and development.

- Chris Dreidger. Goalies are witchcraft, but Dreidger looks like he's responsible enough to maintain that starter position. Salaries for them are such a crapshoot I figured I'd shoot for a half-decent number that's high enough that other teams might not be able to afford it (especially given the number of cap-strapped contenders that already have good goalies that they need to pay, and rebuilders might not be willing to commit to a UFA goalie over developing their own).

TRADES:
Boston Bruins:
Bruins are in a bit of a weird situation. They have plenty of cap to throw around next year, though we're yet to see if Hall stays there. Assuming Hall is really intending on staying with the team like it seems, he likely pushes DeBrusk down a line. Bruins are deep on the Left side if they sign Hall, and fairly shallow on the right. I think Kassian as a middle 6er on their team very much works with their playstyle (assuming his injury stops nagging him next season), and throwing in Jones (who can be flipped if needed, or kept as a solid LD prospect) and an extra pick could be enough to assuage any worries about value on Kassian's contract. The value's not great if Kass isn't playing his best, but it's not so bad that it's unmoveable, especially to a team that has that high energy culture that the Kassquatch thrives in.

Minnesota Wild:
Neal's contract is famously terrible, but I think something like this can work. I'd much rather we manage to move Neal retained than have to buy him out, so that contract doesn't drag on for 4 years. Neal is still a serviceable bottom 6-er, his biggest problem has always been his contract. Theoretically, this trade could work with plenty of teams with cap space, but Minnesota's in a decent cap position to absorb a +2.3m trade for their bottom 6, especially since their playstyle tends to match Neal's much better. Neal has trouble keeping up on the rush, but Minnesota doesn't tend to rely on that regardless. I'd also remind everyone that last season Neal still potted 19 goals in 55 games, and 5 in 29 this season. He can clearly still find the back of the net, it's just a matter of matching playstyles. Stalock is there just to offload the contract and send the guy home. I don't expect him to add any actual value as a 3rd G, I'd prefer Edmonton not get a reputation as hostage takers so maybe another trade of Stalock for Future Considerations would be more appropriate. Hartman seems like a solid upgrade on any of our current 3RW roster options, and the most likely one that Minnesota would be willing to trade.

RE-SIGNINGS:
- Yamamoto hopefully gets over his snakebitten phase. His style of play as a puck hound means he's still valuable regardless. I'm 100% on board with keeping this guy on long term.

- Kahun & Ennis I think both more or less serve the same role. This season seemed like they were put into positions that expected more than they could deliver. Both of these guys are decent-quality bottom 6-ers, and I'd have no problem with either of them on the 4th line. Tradeoffs are that Ennis seems to play smarter all along the ice, but also seems to be made of glass. Kahun is still young and has room for growth, so I have no problem with keeping him on smaller deals to show us what he's made of. Ennis in the playoffs also seemed to flip a switch to just become an absolute machine out there. He clearly wants to play for Edmonton, and I'm all about it.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$850,000
2$1,000,000
2$850,000
2$2,200,000
1$950,000
2$750,000
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
4$4,000,000
1$1,500,000
5$6,000,000
2$2,500,000
2$4,500,000
2$2,750,000
2$6,000,000
Trades
BOS
  1. Jones, Caleb
  2. Kassian, Zack
  3. 2022 6th round pick (EDM)
MIN
  1. Neal, James ($1,750,000 retained)
  2. Stalock, Alex
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
  4. 2022 7th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,316,839$669,339$907,500$2,183,161

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 8
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$2,200,000$2,200,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$3,675,000$3,675,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 17, 2021 at 7:09 p.m.
Throw something else. Kassian is a burden. Jones is a 7th d.

That’s like Boston offering John Moore, Zach Senyshyn and 6th for Yammamoto.
Radu47 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 7:12 p.m.
Banned
Is it possible for there to be an oilers ACGM without it throwing crap that boston doesn’t need to the bruins for debrusk?
Gofnut999 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 7:15 p.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
Is it possible for there to be an oilers ACGM without it throwing crap that boston doesn’t need to the bruins for debrusk?

*checks notes* whoa it's actually a requirement

🤕

Egads
sporkknife and Lightman13 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 7:16 p.m.
"I think Kassian as a middle 6er on their team very much works with their playstyle"

Not sure what "playstyle" you're talking about but the Bruins (at least most of their top9) play with pace and rely on skill. No interest in an overpaid 4th liner.
Radu47 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 7:21 p.m.
MIN would never make this deal. We don’t have the cap flexibility to absorb Neal nor do we want him. Very happy to just keep Hartman and his discount contract.
TanSor, OutCold13, Lightman13 and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 7:26 p.m.
I think there is a lot of good thought into this piece. Not enough gets made about the ridiculous premium Canadian teams have to pay to free agents, IMO a huge reason Canadian teams have been without Lord Stanley since 1993 and the salary cap era.

On the other hand, I agree with the Bruins and Wild fans, as a third party, that the trades here don't quite add up. The Minnesota trade would be fair if you leave out Ryan Hartman... he is worth a ransom in the flat cap era playing well in the top 9 at a pennies worth in cap. I also think the Bruins have no incentive there to move on from Jake DeBrusk. The Bruins don't tend to put themselves in a position to move on from guys just for the sake of it (the vast majority of the time).
OutCold13 and Lightman13 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 7:32 p.m.
If the Wild even had the cap space to do this, it would take more than a 2nd to take on Neal's contract.
OutCold13 and sporkknife liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 7:38 p.m.
Patient gm
Has to be one of the worst deals I’ve seen on here in a while. Hartman a hard working gritty player who’s got flashes of brilliance on a super team friendly discount for Neal and a 2nd. Comical trade proposal.

Tell you what. Minnesota will keep the hartman and trade you a broken in Zach parise for him 1 for 1. How’s that grab you?
Jun. 17, 2021 at 7:39 p.m.
Banned
I just actually read the description. Bruins are shallow on the right side? David Pastrnak and Craig Smith would like a word. Kassian a middle six winger? Yeesh. If you wanted to slap the, “bottom six,” label on him I don’t think I would have too much of an issue with it, but really, he’s a fourth liner.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 7:43 p.m.
No need to pile on here haha, some good thoughts, some bad trades
Jun. 18, 2021 at 8:00 a.m.
Pool party for Debrusk makes more sense on the Bruins end. Benson, Jones, Bear and Kassian that everyone is trading them don't. They might as well keep Debrusk and hope he rebounds. Maybe Yamamoto.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 3:21 p.m.
Certainly a lot of feedback here, lmao. For some context this is my 2nd full season of actually following an NHL team and I watched basically F-all from outside the North division. Trades are definitely my weakest point, so I expected plenty of flak for these (Curious to see thoughts about the UFA signings though, none on that yet besides the Canada Premium). My first exposure to Kassian were his playoff games from 2017, so I've clearly got some bias going on (outside of the normal homer bias, Kassian just seems like a fun guy to have on your team, outside of some questionable suspensions...). I honestly still have no idea what kinda value certain picks and such are worth obviously, so I'm clearly overrating the Oily boys here.

I just actually read the description. Bruins are shallow on the right side? David Pastrnak and Craig Smith would like a word. Kassian a middle six winger? Yeesh. If you wanted to slap the, “bottom six,” label on him I don’t think I would have too much of an issue with it, but really, he’s a fourth liner.

Quoting: bhavikp27
"I think Kassian as a middle 6er on their team very much works with their playstyle"

Not sure what "playstyle" you're talking about but the Bruins (at least most of their top9) play with pace and rely on skill. No interest in an overpaid 4th liner.

This last year obviously hasn't been his best with his nagging broken hand, on top of him very clearly suffering without a crowd, but I feel like people forget he nabbed 34 points last year in 59 games. He clearly is able to keep up the pace (having been the only RW we had that season that could keep up with McDavid), and has shown plenty of flashes of brilliance offensively. Between Pastaman and Smith I'll give you he definitely doesn't crack the top 2 lines on Boston but on any league average team I'd say "middle 6" or if we wanna be conservative about it "Bottom 9" is doable. Kass plays best in a high energy environment, and the Bruins are a high energy team. He can keep speed and has decent enough hands to find the back of the net. Is he overpaid? No one's arguing that. Is he a perpetual 4th liner? If he regresses back to his usual form I don't think it's a stretch to say he's a solid bottom 6er who can slot in on the 2nd line in the case of injury or change in playstyle.

As for my Minnesota trade... yeah, honestly I kinda tacked that on at the end and I'm still not sure what I was thinking. I'll take the heat on that one, though I'm still convinced Neal's value goes up on a team with a slower pace. Not too familiar with Arizona's playstyle but they definitely have the cap space to take him at retained salary + some picks that they so desperately need. I might fiddle around there and see what's up.

Quoting: Lightman13

Tell you what. Minnesota will keep the hartman and trade you a broken in Zach parise for him 1 for 1. How’s that grab you?

I somehow completely forgot about Parise's NMC + $7.5M for the next 4 seasons. I'll take any trade ideas with Minny I had and put em where the sun don't shine, Neal's contract is bad, but it's not that bad.

Quoting: sporkknife
No need to pile on here haha, some good thoughts, some bad trades

Some very, very bad trades apparently
Lightman13 and sporkknife liked this.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 3:26 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Fuzz738
Certainly a lot of feedback here, lmao. For some context this is my 2nd full season of actually following an NHL team and I watched basically F-all from outside the North division. Trades are definitely my weakest point, so I expected plenty of flak for these (Curious to see thoughts about the UFA signings though, none on that yet besides the Canada Premium). My first exposure to Kassian were his playoff games from 2017, so I've clearly got some bias going on (outside of the normal homer bias, Kassian just seems like a fun guy to have on your team, outside of some questionable suspensions...). I honestly still have no idea what kinda value certain picks and such are worth obviously, so I'm clearly overrating the Oily boys here.

This last year obviously hasn't been his best with his nagging broken hand, on top of him very clearly suffering without a crowd, but I feel like people forget he nabbed 34 points last year in 59 games. He clearly is able to keep up the pace (having been the only RW we had that season that could keep up with McDavid), and has shown plenty of flashes of brilliance offensively. Between Pastaman and Smith I'll give you he definitely doesn't crack the top 2 lines on Boston but on any league average team I'd say "middle 6" or if we wanna be conservative about it "Bottom 9" is doable. Kass plays best in a high energy environment, and the Bruins are a high energy team. He can keep speed and has decent enough hands to find the back of the net. Is he overpaid? No one's arguing that. Is he a perpetual 4th liner? If he regresses back to his usual form I don't think it's a stretch to say he's a solid bottom 6er who can slot in on the 2nd line in the case of injury or change in playstyle.

As for my Minnesota trade... yeah, honestly I kinda tacked that on at the end and I'm still not sure what I was thinking. I'll take the heat on that one, though I'm still convinced Neal's value goes up on a team with a slower pace. Not too familiar with Arizona's playstyle but they definitely have the cap space to take him at retained salary + some picks that they so desperately need. I might fiddle around there and see what's up.

I somehow completely forgot about Parise's NMC + $7.5M for the next 4 seasons. I'll take any trade ideas with Minny I had and put em where the sun don't shine, Neal's contract is bad, but it's not that bad.

Middle six implies he is a second or third liner depending on team/situation.

Kassian isn’t a 2nd liner for anyone. Bottom six is being kind to him, fourth liner is probably more realistic.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 3:50 p.m.
Middle six implies he is a second or third liner depending on team/situation.

Kassian isn’t a 2nd liner for anyone. Bottom six is being kind to him, fourth liner is probably more realistic.

Gonna have to agree to disagree here then. I can think of plenty of teams with middle sixes that would either be sidegraded or upgraded with Kass there. Like I mentioned, I agree he's overpaid, but this "Kassian's a perpetual 4th liner" narrative that I keep seeing from particularly Boston fans is getting older than the DeBrusk trade speculations.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 4:01 p.m.

For the "34 pts in 59 games", he's been carried by McDavid, we all know that.. Coyle/Lazar aren't McDavid and the Bruins' offensive system is questionable. I'll pass on Kassian personally, I just don't like the fit; the contract makes it worse.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 4:08 p.m.
Quoting: bhavikp27
For the "34 pts in 59 games", he's been carried by McDavid, we all know that.. Coyle/Lazar aren't McDavid and the Bruins' offensive system is questionable. I'll pass on Kassian personally, I just don't like the fit; the contract makes it worse.

I'm not questioning that McDavid's pumped his numbers that season, but I don't see how Kassian was our only RW that was able to actually keep up and play at the same pace as McDavid and simultaneously is unable to play on a fast paced team. I'd like to know what's faster pace than McDavid as a linemate? I was under the impression that Boston had a "move fast, hit hard" playstyle for most of their forwards, though admittedly I don't know if I've seen them at all this season. If that's not the case for their bottom 2 lines then yeah I can see Kass not fitting well. He seems to feed off the energy of his linemates and the crowd, and has clearly struggled the last year with generating his own. I think the skill is there, he just needs a good culture fit before he can live up to the contract.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 4:28 p.m.
Patient gm

A small piece of constructive criticism - also welcome to really diving into hockey! Trades on here are 90% of the time, Our spare parts for your quality assets and will always be given short colorful responses. In the wild trade you have Ryan hartman who is a stud and drives play on a very cheap contract and on the other you have James Neal who’s productive years are behind him and he’s a bad contract, any trade with those two as the center pieces needs to fill each teams needs. This trade does nothing for Minnesota except make them take 3 steps back in cap management. If there was a parise going back or some top line talent - it would be intriguing. But as it is its very lopsided and only suits one teams needs.

The best value trades are where each team thinks they won and each fan base thinks they didn’t get enough. Time will tel how it pans out, but it has to fit both teams needs and the above trades only fit Edmonton’s needs.
sporkknife and Fuzz738 liked this.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 4:33 p.m.
Banned
Gonna have to agree to disagree here then. I can think of plenty of teams with middle sixes that would either be sidegraded or upgraded with Kass there. Like I mentioned, I agree he's overpaid, but this "Kassian's a perpetual 4th liner" narrative that I keep seeing from particularly Boston fans is getting older than the DeBrusk trade speculations.

2+2=4. Kassian is a fourth liner on any sort of good team. Its just what he is. I’m not saying he’s not valuable. I’m not saying he’s a bad player. But what he is is a good fourth liner that can slide up the lineup with injuries. If he’s in the middle six of a fully healthy lineup, that lineup lacks depth.
sporkknife liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll