Team: 2021-22 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 23, 2021
Published: Jun. 23, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
NJD
  1. Fiala, Kevin [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
The original idea is from jnowariak. Fiala’s game fits what Devils are trying to build offensively. Boqvist and the picks help them with cap and expansion, but probably not the final solution in their search for top-6 center.

So what third party could we add to deal to make this worthwhile for both sides.
MIN
  1. Boqvist, Jesper
  2. 2021 1st round pick (NYI)
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (NJD)
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
12$81,500,000$42,036,930$0$3,332,500$39,463,070
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 6
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$809,167$809,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,822,764$2,822,764
LD
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:39 p.m.
Personally I don't want anybody but Hughes or Hischier from the Devils if they want Fiala, but I don't think the Devils would be willing to move either for him.
jnowariak and OutCold13 liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:50 p.m.
Quoting: TanSor
Personally I don't want anybody but Hughes or Hischier from the Devils if they want Fiala, but I don't think the Devils would be willing to move either for him.

Could you get a Hertl, Dvorak, or Reinhart with those assets and avoid expansion issues? I also wouldn’t move Fiala unless I know he’s gonna hold out for a stupid big deal, and I think there was always the thought he’d be moved toward the end of his next deal given our strength on the wings coming.

I’d also want the 2022 to be a conditional 1st that becomes a 2nd if they miss the playoffs.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:53 p.m.

Hughes or Hischier are here for long run
I was trying to of creative way to help Wild.

Maybe somehow using our cap space to get better pick or to land center for MIN.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:55 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506

Understood, but the only way Fiala would be available is to get us a top line center for him.
OutCold13 liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:56 p.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
Could you get a Hertl, Dvorak, or Reinhart with those assets and avoid expansion issues? I also wouldn’t move Fiala unless I know he’s gonna hold out for a stupid big deal, and I think there was always the thought he’d be moved toward the end of his next deal given our strength on the wings coming.

I’d also want the 2022 to be a conditional 1st that becomes a 2nd if they miss the playoffs.

Honestly I don't know if I'd be comfortable moving Fiala for any of those 3. Hertl is a rental, Dvorak hasn't really proven much, and Reinhart isn't as dynamic.
jnowariak, csick, OutCold13 and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:59 p.m.
KFTW
I don’t get why you think this is enough for Fiala. And making the same offer but with Foote on top , definitely doesn’t get Tkachuk . You need more quality for any good player
jnowariak, OutCold13 and Caerii liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 9:02 p.m.

There are not many way MN would be better without Fiala for next year. A young 1C with term/team control is about the only thing that makes sense (barring some huge contract demands) for trading him.
The list for that is about 1 player; that is rumored to be available; Eichel.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 9:02 p.m.
Honestly I don't know if I'd be comfortable moving Fiala for any of those 3. Hertl is a rental, Dvorak hasn't really proven much, and Reinhart isn't as dynamic.

Fair. I get a bad feeling that Fiala is going to hold out and we can’t afford him at more than 6. I’m all for getting him back but I think the decision for what to do with him needs to be made quickly. If we get through the expansion draft with him then we have to deal with that hold out.

This summer is really gonna suck as a fan.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 9:08 p.m.
Quoting: csick
I don’t get why you think this is enough for Fiala. And making the same offer but with Foote on top , definitely doesn’t get Tkachuk . You need more quality for any good player

I get a sense the Fiala plans to hold out for upwards of 7 and the Wild legit can’t afford that. Arbitration just seems to push the can down the road and I don’t get the feeling Fiala is part of the long term plan.

That said, I think the 2022 1st needs to be included and Boqvist is expansion exempt so it solves another problem for the Wild.
csick liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 11:36 p.m.

First, I don’t think this is enough. Nor do I think Boqvist fills their center need. I have said both.
Second, this originated with a Wild fan and I sought to find them a more fitting return.
Third, Foote for Tkachuk? I didn’t even mention either of those guys.
Fourth, this was posed as a question.

Not sure why I am being attacked here.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 11:38 p.m.
KFTW
First, I don’t think this is enough. Nor do I think Boqvist fills their center need. I have said both.
Second, this originated with a Wild fan and I sought to find them a more fitting return.
Third, Foote for Tkachuk? I didn’t even mention either of those guys.
Fourth, this was posed as a question.

Not sure why I am being attacked here.

Not attacking haha just giving my POV smile
Jun. 23, 2021 at 11:40 p.m.
Not attacking haha just giving my POV smile

Ok cool.
Sounded a bit testy.
csick liked this.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 11:49 a.m.
@jnowariak @MNBassman @TanSor

Maybe I am trying to make something out of nothing...but the ideas I can up with -

1. Kuznetsov to Wild, Fiala to Devils, Boqvist/Zacha to Caps....plus picks, salary dumps, whatever to make even
2. Similar arrangement with Monahan, Trochek, McCann or any of the other available 2C types.
3. Devils major cap dump (ie, Neal, Ladd, EJ, etc) to add picks / prospects - and add those to Boqvist/1st/2nd package
4. Devils retain portion of a Parise deal (or Dumba if thats needed)
5. Devils include Mercer

Honestly, the Wild's best bet may be doing something with the Kings for a center and pick.
But I'd love Fiala next to Nico for next 7 years.
MNBassman and jnowariak liked this.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 11:57 a.m.
jnowariak MNBassman TanSor

Maybe I am trying to make something out of nothing...but the ideas I can up with -

1. Kuznetsov to Wild, Fiala to Devils, Boqvist/Zacha to Caps....plus picks, salary dumps, whatever to make even
2. Similar arrangement with Monahan, Trochek, McCann or any of the other available 2C types.
3. Devils major cap dump (ie, Neal, Ladd, EJ, etc) to add picks / prospects - and add those to Boqvist/1st/2nd package
5. Devils include Mercer

Honestly, the Wild's best bet may be doing something with the Kings for a center and pick.

1. Don't see us moving Fiala for Kuzy (or trading for Kuzy in general). Guerin was brought in to change the culture of the team and Kuzy would be a step back.
2. I like Monahan, but apparently Guerin doesn't. Again, I wouldn't move Fiala for any of those guys, but those 3 all intrigue me

The others aren't really worth discussing because they don't get us a top line center. Long story short, Fiala could be had this summer but I just don't see the point of us moving him unless it's for a 1C to play with Kaprizov. Fiala is a game breaking player when he's on, you don't move a guy like that for picks/prospects, 2C's, or to dump a contract.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:18 p.m.
1. Don't see us moving Fiala for Kuzy (or trading for Kuzy in general). Guerin was brought in to change the culture of the team and Kuzy would be a step back.
2. I like Monahan, but apparently Guerin doesn't. Again, I wouldn't move Fiala for any of those guys, but those 3 all intrigue me

The others aren't really worth discussing because they don't get us a top line center. Long story short, Fiala could be had this summer but I just don't see the point of us moving him unless it's for a 1C to play with Kaprizov. Fiala is a game breaking player when he's on, you don't move a guy like that for picks/prospects, 2C's, or to dump a contract.

I think this is the right call here, I’d rather have Fiala. I think Monahan is going the wrong direction and Kuzy is too much of a wild card. My concern is whether we want to go to arbitration, which walks him to FA and I’m not sure that’s the right move for the Wild. I think it’s mistake to lock him up at more than 6, solely for cap reasons.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:22 p.m.
jnowariak MNBassman TanSor

5. Devils include Mercer

I get the sense BG wants a C in his mid 20s that’s proven something and is under contract. My ideal is Dvorak but I don’t think ARI will move him.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:24 p.m.
I get the sense BG wants a C in his mid 20s that’s proven something and is under contract. My ideal is Dvorak but I don’t think ARI will move him.

Dvorak would be a fine target, but not at the expense of Fiala.
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:28 p.m.
Quoting: Caerii
Dvorak would be a fine target, but not at the expense of Fiala.

Right. The only reason to move Fiala is if he holds out for term, and by proxy dollars. I think BG will commit to him one way or the other before expansion. You can let Kaprizov drag out until the season if need be, but Fiala needs to be done sooner.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:52 p.m.

I don't really see it either...but I'd like to.
Eichel is the only real 1C available on the trade market (who is young and with term)

After that, there are probably three routes (in my view)
1. Acquire short-term 1C for 2021-22 and clear as much cap space as possible to land one of big 2022 UFAs (Barkov, Couturier, Bergeron, Zibanejad, Hertl, Malkin)
2. Acquire a 2C type and hope he can play up.
3. Acquire a prospect center and plan for future

Option #1 options: Hertl, Strome, maybe Monahan (2 years), Trocek, maybe Pavelski
Option #2 options: Copp, McCann, Dvorak, Nolan Patrick (maybe), Gourde, maybe outside chance at guys like Robert Thomas, William Karlsson.
Option #3 options: (nothing - Rossi arrives), Vilardi or Turcotte, maybe guy like Kotkaniemi, not sure who else available

Maybe MIN can pull off some Dumba+Fiala for Couturier type trade.
Or Fiala for Robert Thomas deal.

Dvorak would be good, but honestly I think guys like Zacha, McCann, Copp are probably better overall players. But will need new contracts this year or next.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:01 p.m.
I don't really see it either...but I'd like to.
Eichel is the only real 1C available on the trade market (who is young and with term)

After that, there are probably three routes (in my view)
1. Acquire short-term 1C for 2021-22 and clear as much cap space as possible to land one of big 2022 UFAs (Barkov, Couturier, Bergeron, Zibanejad, Hertl, Malkin)
2. Acquire a 2C type and hope he can play up.
3. Acquire a prospect center and plan for future

Option #1 options: Hertl, Strome, maybe Monahan (2 years), Trocek, maybe Pavelski
Option #2 options: Copp, McCann, Dvorak, Nolan Patrick (maybe), Gourde, maybe outside chance at guys like Robert Thomas, William Karlsson.
Option #3 options: (nothing - Rossi arrives), Vilardi or Turcotte, maybe guy like Kotkaniemi, not sure who else available

Maybe MIN can pull off some Dumba+Fiala for Couturier type trade.
Or Fiala for Robert Thomas deal.

Dvorak would be good, but honestly I think guys like Zacha, McCann, Copp are probably better overall players. But will need new contracts this year or next.

You've pretty much covered it! I have thought of doing something around Thomas for Fiala, but again I just don't think Thomas has that "it" factor that Fiala has shown.

I wouldn't move Fiala for Couturier either since he's a rental and also almost 30.

I don't envy Guerin, there's just not many options out there that would be worth moving Fiala for. I've posted a thread about Fiala for Reinhart and ultimately I think it's a fair deal since Reinhart could play a more important position, but Fiala is the better player so it would sting. I think we're probably better off keeping him.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:13 p.m.
You've pretty much covered it! I have thought of doing something around Thomas for Fiala, but again I just don't think Thomas has that "it" factor that Fiala has shown.

I wouldn't move Fiala for Couturier either since he's a rental and also almost 30.

I don't envy Guerin, there's just not many options out there that would be worth moving Fiala for. I've posted a thread about Fiala for Reinhart and ultimately I think it's a fair deal since Reinhart could play a more important position, but Fiala is the better player so it would sting. I think we're probably better off keeping him.

The Couturier idea would be with extension.

I'd think Fiala and Reinhart are pretty similar in value, contract status notwithstanding.
I don't like Reinhart at C as much though.

I like the Robert Thomas deal because Blues just don't have a ton of cap flexibility
And after down year, its probably the only time one could acquire him.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 10:21 p.m.

Honestly, I was curious what it would take to get Hughes or Hischier? I know there's no rumors but what would be the cost of those 2 guys? Fiala, Rossi and a 1st? I'd want to get a guy that is young, dynamic and can keep up with the Av's/Vegas and other top teams in the league. Hope the fans don't get upset and actually have a conversation around these 2 pieces.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 10:54 p.m.
Quoting: iAce
Honestly, I was curious what it would take to get Hughes or Hischier? I know there's no rumors but what would be the cost of those 2 guys? Fiala, Rossi and a 1st? I'd want to get a guy that is young, dynamic and can keep up with the Av's/Vegas and other top teams in the league. Hope the fans don't get upset and actually have a conversation around these 2 pieces.

I personally feel something around Fiala for Hischier is fair, but most Devils fans seem to think that's asinine. I'd love either of those two.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:07 a.m.
Quoting: iAce

I personally feel something around Fiala for Hischier is fair, but most Devils fans seem to think that's asinine. I'd love either of those two.

I personally take no offense whatsoever when people ask for Hischier and Hughes.
If anything, its nice to see other fans appreciate our young players.
(maybe a little irked when we see lopsided offers that arrive with derision, ie, Chytil for Hischier or Jones for Hughes...)

But NJD has pretty clearly made those two the cornerstones in the team they are building.
And those two - and a few others like Blackwood, Smith, Bratt, Sharangovich - are likely off the market.
If no Hischier means no Fiala, well, then no Fiala for NJD.
We're good with that.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 27, 2021 at 10:21 p.m.
I personally take no offense whatsoever when people ask for Hischier and Hughes.
If anything, its nice to see other fans appreciate our young players.
(maybe a little irked when we see lopsided offers that arrive with derision, ie, Chytil for Hischier or Jones for Hughes...)

But NJD has pretty clearly made those two the cornerstones in the team they are building.
And those two - and a few others like Blackwood, Smith, Bratt, Sharangovich - are likely off the market.
If no Hischier means no Fiala, well, then no Fiala for NJD.
We're good with that.

Makes sense as a fan I would feel the same way. I just don't know if you trade everything to Buffalo for Eichel or try to go with a younger guy. I do know we gotta get a 1c that can be game changing to compete with the Avs and Vegas if they get Eichel. Loosing a natural scorer like Fiala to get a potential 1c is something we are faced with. I would be ok with obtaining picks and going the long route but we can not afford a Rossi/Boldy/Fiala/Dumba and 2x1st rounders for Eichel with a potential neck injury and potential locker room issues. I don't think Buffalo is going to get an Eichel trade soon if they are asking for 6 pieces for Eichel. I would love to trade Dumba and Greenway for young guys like Mercer or picks in this years draft. Not sure how much Danault will cost but after his showing he is earning a ton of money this off season!
NHLfan10506 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll