Forums/Armchair-GM

Protection List 8 Skaters 1 Goalie

Created by: Shanesaw9
Team: 2021-22 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 14, 2021
Published: Jul. 14, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Left side is Protected, Right side is available for Seattle.

Obviously Price is protected exposing Allen.

If you were Seattle, who would you draft and why?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,166,667
2$750,000
1$2,200,000
1$750,000
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
15$81,500,000$58,448,454$597,561$0$23,051,546
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,166,667$3,166,667
C
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
RD
RFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:10 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Gee, I would leave Weber, Edmundson and Chariot unprotected. If Seattle takes ones, you have cap space for a replacement and then it gives you the ability to protect Evans and Lehkonen.
Radu47 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:14 p.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
Quoting: palhal
Gee, I would leave Weber, Edmundson and Chariot unprotected. If Seattle takes ones, you have cap space for a replacement and then it gives you the ability to protect Evans and Lehkonen.

Absolutely

Thank goodness weber doesn't have a nmc

Might as well take advantage of it
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:14 p.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
Cale Fleury ✔

Best combo of upside and cost controlledness

Is that a word 🤔
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:16 p.m.
Allen, doesn't matter if you go 4-4-1 or 7-3-1
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:18 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

Edmundson is protected no matter what, but I'm with you on Weber. Just go 7-3-1 and protect Chiarot over him.
OldNYIfan, OlegP and Radu47 liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:21 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Fleury, Allen, Evans, in that order.

But I echo the sentiments of @palhal and @Radu47 -- protect Evans, Lehkonen and another forward and Fleury and expose Chiarot and Edmundson.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:22 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Radu47
Absolutely

Might as well take advantage of it[/quote\

We're going to see lots of good player with mid to high cap exposed. The current teams are just hoping Seattle selects their guy for cap reasons.
But Seattle isn't gong to select a lot of high priced players that don't provide long term value. They would rather jump in the UFA.market

How' this theory but won't happen. Leafs expose Marner. Sure they don't want to lose him, but at 10.9m they just might feel they could construct their team better with that 10.9m in free cap.

Radu47: Enjoy your posts and comments.]
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Fleury, Allen, Evans, in that order.

But I echo the sentiments of palhal and Radu47 -- protect Evans, Lehkonen and another forward and Fleury and expose Chiarot and Edmundson.

The coaches and GM all want the top4 on D back. Edmundson, Chiarot will be protected or they'll be a deal in place with Seattle to grab a different piece.

Smart thing to do would be to leave Weber exposed. Seattle wont touch him despite past Duncan Keith rumours there, Weber's deal is another level of risk for a Seattle team that shouldn't be a contender and should have an onus on cap space for future dealings.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: SevenLeg
Edmundson is protected no matter what, but I'm with you on Weber. Just go 7-3-1 and protect Chiarot over him.

This.happy
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:37 p.m.
Habs 2010

Quoting: Radu47
Absolutely

Might as well take advantage of it

Quoting: SevenLeg

Unpopular opinion (apparently), but Weber was MTL's best defenseman in the playoffs... maybe if Petry wasn't injured vs the Jets but Weber was huge. He played the most minutes, the toughest minutes, and he had the best goal differential on the team.

And if it's the contract realistically he will retire in two years anyways and MTL will need that cap space for Caufield.

Let's put it this way, why would you protect depth role players like Lehkonen, Evans, and Fluery over top 4 D like Edmundson, Chiarot and Weber?

Evans and Allen are the only players I'd be disappointed to lose. I thought someone would make a case for Drouin... he would have never been exposed had he finished the season but I can't see him playing another game with MTL after sitting out the entire playoffs. Doesn't mean a change of scenery wouldn't be good for him.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:38 p.m.
I think the question will be: what strategy does Seattle want to take?
Do they want to copy Vegas and go for it right away? Then take Drouin and hope he can duplicate what we saw from guys like Marchessault in that draft.
Do they want to go for the most valuable trade chips and build their team through trades/signings? Then go with Allen.
Do they want to build a team of futures that will get high picks in the next two years when guys like Shane Wright and Connor Bedard will be available and lots of cap space to weaponize? Then Jake Evans or Cale Fleury would be the way to go.
Shanesaw9 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:40 p.m.
Habs 2010
Quoting: brad_habs
I think the question will be: what strategy does Seattle want to take?
Do they want to copy Vegas and go for it right away? Then take Drouin and hope he can duplicate what we saw from guys like Marchessault in that draft.
Do they want to go for the most valuable trade chips and build their team through trades/signings? Then go with Allen.
Do they want to build a team of futures that will get high picks in the next two years when guys like Shane Wright and Connor Bedard will be available and lots of cap space to weaponize? Then Jake Evans or Cale Fleury would be the way to go.

Excellent post, there is a case to be made for all of those players.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:43 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Shanesaw9
Unpopular opinion (apparently), but Weber was MTL's best defenseman in the playoffs... maybe if Petry wasn't injured vs the Jets but Weber was huge. He played the most minutes, the toughest minutes, and he had the best goal differential on the team.

And if it's the contract realistically he will retire in two years anyways and MTL will need that cap space for Caufield.

Let's put it this way, why would you protect depth role players like Lehkonen, Evans, and Fluery over top 4 D like Edmundson, Chiarot and Weber?

Evans and Allen are the only players I'd be disappointed to lose. I thought someone would make a case for Drouin... he would have never been exposed had he finished the season but I can't see him playing another game with MTL after sitting out the entire playoffs. Doesn't mean a change of scenery wouldn't be good for him.

Well the reason you expose Edmundson or Chariot or Weber is that if Seattle selects them, you have that cap space to fill a roster spot, and if this case if all three unprotected, the Habs could protect two more forwards.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
Boris Bagel
Seatles takes Evans or Lehky
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: OlegP
The coaches and GM all want the top4 on D back. Edmundson, Chiarot will be protected or they'll be a deal in place with Seattle to grab a different piece.

Smart thing to do would be to leave Weber exposed. Seattle wont touch him despite past Duncan Keith rumours there, Weber's deal is another level of risk for a Seattle team that shouldn't be a contender and should have an onus on cap space for future dealings.

The risk isn't that Seattle might select Weber and keep him but that they'll choose him and then pass him on to a contender after retaining. Weber at $3,928,572 might be pretty appealing to a contender.
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:48 p.m.
Banned

Absolutely agree. Evans and Lehkonen are replaceable, much more so than Chiarot, and Edmundson.
The Weber contract isnt bad for Montreal but the fact that it stretches 5 years beyond is still something that you have to account for if you are Seattle.
Much unlike Ken Holland didnt account for the fact that he'd probably need a 2nd round pick this season instead of making the 3rd rounder conditional which freezes both picks for possible trade, yikes!
Montreal should already be prepared for those years. The question would be if Seattle can stomach that sort of unpredictability when they are already starting with nothing but questions throughout the starting lineup come October. You cant rely on Weber retiring for a team that needs cap flexibility to build a foundation down the line. The risk would seem calculated to expose Weber but he'd be a massive loss if the Habs lost him this offseason
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:50 p.m.
Banned
The risk isn't that Seattle might select Weber and keep him but that they'll choose him and then pass him on to a contender after retaining. Weber at $3,928,572 might be pretty appealing to a contender.

True but with the flat cap it's an affordable risk. That cap hit stretches 5 years down the road. I dont think Seattle will eat 4 million in cap space each season for the following 5 years
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:51 p.m.
Habs 2010

Exactly, and Weber only actually makes $6M this year, $3M the next, and only $1M the remaining three years so Seattle would really just be retaining his cap hit not much actual $$$. What did TB just give up to get Savard for one playoff run? TB gave up a 1st, a 3rd, and a 4th... would have to think SEA could get more than that for Shea Weber.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:53 p.m.
Habs 2010
Absolutely agree. Evans and Lehkonen are replaceable, much more so than Chiarot, and Edmundson.
The Weber contract isnt bad for Montreal but the fact that it stretches 5 years beyond is still something that you have to account for if you are Seattle.
Much unlike Ken Holland didnt account for the fact that he'd probably need a 2nd round pick this season instead of making the 3rd rounder conditional which freezes both picks for possible trade, yikes!
Montreal should already be prepared for those years. The question would be if Seattle can stomach that sort of unpredictability when they are already starting with nothing but questions throughout the starting lineup come October. You cant rely on Weber retiring for a team that needs cap flexibility to build a foundation down the line. The risk would seem calculated to expose Weber but he'd be a massive loss if the Habs lost him this offseason

I'm assuming Bergevin would have those discussions with Weber... if Weber plans on playing out all 5 years then absolutely time to move him, cannot be stuck with his cap hit.

I have a hard time believing Weber would blow up his team over $1M a year... he could just go on LTIR if he wanted to.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:54 p.m.
Banned
I'm assuming Bergevin would have those discussions with Weber... if Weber plans on playing out all 5 years then absolutely time to move him, cannot be stuck with his cap hit.

I have a hard time believing Weber would blow up his team over $1M a year... he could just go on LTIR if he wanted to.

My point was for Seattle's cap.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 3:57 p.m.
Habs 2010
My point was for Seattle's cap.

Well if Seattle goes the salary retention route then they would get a big return for Weber at less than $4M cap hit and only like $6M remaining salary over 5 years... that is huge financial savings for a team that might be hard pressed for cash from the pandemic.

And it's very probably Weber retires or goes on LTIR before he finishes that contract.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
Banned
Edited Jul. 14, 2021 at 4:08 p.m.
Well if Seattle goes the salary retention route then they would get a big return for Weber at less than $4M cap hit and only like $6M remaining salary over 5 years... that is huge financial savings for a team that might be hard pressed for cash from the pandemic.

And it's very probably Weber retires or goes on LTIR before he finishes that contract.

That wouldnt be worth it at all for Seattle. What team risks 4 million of dead cap space each season for the next 5 years to get what a few draft picks that have maybe a chance of being an nhl'r. That's almost a Tyler Johnson contract that is twice as long. Yes Weber could retire but Seattle cant take that kind of risk.

Like i said its a calculated risk not foolproof
Jul. 14, 2021 at 9:34 p.m.
Banned
All that 2 steps ahead big brain thinking and his career is probably done.

This is why protecting him made no sense
Jul. 14, 2021 at 11:45 p.m.
Habs 2010
All that 2 steps ahead big brain thinking and his career is probably done.

This is why protecting him made no sense

Weren't you just arguing with me about how Weber could be in the league for 5 more years? This is why I said I doubt he plays more than 2.

In light of this new information problem solved... MTL no longer has to protect Weber, he can go on LTIR and possibly play in the playoffs, MTL can use his $7.8M to improve the team.
Jul. 14, 2021 at 11:47 p.m.
Banned
Weren't you just arguing with me about how Weber could be in the league for 5 more years? This is why I said I doubt he plays more than 2.

In light of this new information problem solved... MTL no longer has to protect Weber, he can go on LTIR and possibly play in the playoffs, MTL can use his $7.8M to improve the team.

I wasnt arguing. I was actually agreeing with you, if you read properly. And you kept going in circles about Seattle trade partners when i was talking about Seattle cap situation not their trade partners. You were big brain thinking

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll