Forums/Armchair-GM

2 Year Plan to Contention - Part 1

Created by: Lancebmx
Team: 2022-23 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 7, 2022
Published: Feb. 7, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Don't think Detroit will be a true contender for at least two years although they have been looking alot better this season. Team is just not deep enough and the young guys need more time to develop. I think we are good in goal with Ned and Cossa in a few years if he pans out. We have some really good LD prospects coming up, just need some decent vets to help fill the void until they are NHL ready. We have some good forwards with Bertuzzi, Larkin and Raymond. Still need to see how Vrana fairs when he returns, with that Zadina as well. I think our teams biggest needs are a young centre that could be a possible 1C, 2C minimum, and another high end winger to balance the line up.
My plan would be to acquire a couple vets for cheap to fill out the roster, especially on defence, and make a couple trades fill the holes. I don't think Detroit is an attractive free agent destination unless a couple guys want to come home and play, like Copp and Trocheck, but I'm not banking on that.

In the draft I would be looking to draft Nemec or Jiricek to replace Hronek in the future top 4 RD spot. By the time they are ready, Petry should be the 7th D on the team. With the second round picks I would be trying to get some speed and skill up front, possibly moving up here and there to grab better players.

For the line up I wouldn't split up the top line of Bertuzzi, Larkin and Raymond. They seem to play very well together. After that it could be all over the place. I would expect the bottom 9 to change up frequently trying to get everyone some good opportunities and see who plays well where.
On defence I would be pairing a young D with a veteran. The veterans can help teach the young guys while the young guys can cover for the old guys.
In net I would expect Ned to play 50-60 games.

At the 2023 trade deadline I wouldn't expect to trade anyone unless extensions couldn't be in place for Bertuzzi and Suter, then I would move them.

I would try and get more of our youth playing in Grand Rapids to get used to the smaller ice and pro hockey for some.

I wouldn't expect this team to make the playoffs as I don't think they have enough offence yet.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$863,333
3$750,000
2$750,000
3$750,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,875,000
1$850,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
Trades
DET
  1. Brossoit, Laurent
  2. Martinez, Alec
Additional Details:
Mattias Janmark

Trade made at the 2022 Trade Deadline
VGK
  1. 2022 4th round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
Leddy 50% Retained
Namestnikov
Greiss

Three team trade made at the deadline. Vegas flips Greiss and the fourth to Buffalo for Anderson.
DET
  1. Johnston, Wyatt
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
Klingberg 50% Retained

Trade made at the 2022 Trade Deadline
DAL
  1. Hronek, Filip
Additional Details:
Three team trade with Toronto. Dallas gets Robertson and a 2022 1st from Toronto and Hronek from Detroit. Toronto gets Klingberg with double retention. Detroit gets Johnston, 2022 2nd from Dallas and a 3rd from Toronto.
DET
  1. Robertson, Nicholas
  2. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
2022 Trade Deadline
TOR
    Klingberg at $1,067,500
    DET
      2022 Trade Deadline
      DAL
      1. Robertson, Nicholas
      2. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
      DET
      1. 2022 5th round pick (SEA)
      2. 2022 6th round pick (SEA)
      3. 2022 7th round pick (SEA)
      Additional Details:
      Placeholder team
      SEA
        Gagner
        Stetcher
        Rowney

Other players I expect to be traded at the deadline for late picks.
        DET
        1. Petry, Jeff
        Additional Details:
        Trade made at the 2022 Entry Draft
        MTL
        1. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
        Additional Details:
        People are all over for the return for Petry. I feel just gaining an asset for a 34 year old player signed for 3 more seasons at 6.25M after recording the worst season of his career is a win for Montreal. I want Petry as a partner for Edvinsson, I think he could be a good mentor for him.
        DET
        1. Hagelin, Carl
        2. 2022 3rd round pick (WSH)
        3. 2022 5th round pick (WSH)
        Additional Details:
        Washington clears some cap to add in offseason.

Trade made at the 2022 Entry Draft
        WSH
          Detroit picks up a couple picks and a player to help the penalty kill.
          Buyouts
          Retained Salary Transactions
          DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the DAL
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the COL
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the SEA
          Logo of the WSH
          Logo of the SEA
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the SEA
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          Logo of the DET
          ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
          23$82,500,000$54,049,306$0$3,775,000$28,450,694
          Left WingCentreRight Wing
          Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
          $2,375,000$2,375,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 1
          $6,100,000$6,100,000
          C
          NTC
          UFA - 1
          $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
          RW, LW
          RFA - 2
          $2,625,000$2,625,000
          LW
          UFA - 2
          $3,250,000$3,250,000
          C, LW
          UFA - 1
          $925,000$925,000
          RW, LW
          RFA - 2
          $4,000,000$4,000,000
          LW
          UFA - 3
          Logo of the Dallas Stars
          $894,167$894,167
          C
          RFA - 3
          $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
          C
          RFA - 1
          $2,100,000$2,100,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 1
          $1,460,000$1,460,000
          LW, C
          UFA - 2
          $1,875,000$1,875,000
          RW, LW
          RFA - 3
          Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
          Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
          $5,250,000$5,250,000
          LD
          M-NTC
          UFA - 2
          $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          RD
          RFA - 2
          $3,000,000$3,000,000
          G
          UFA - 1
          Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
          $2,343,750$2,343,750
          RD
          M-NTC, NMC
          UFA - 3
          Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
          $2,325,000$2,325,000
          G
          UFA - 1
          $850,000$850,000
          RD
          RFA - 1
          $863,333$863,333
          LD
          RFA - 4
          $2,000,000$2,000,000
          LD
          UFA - 1
          ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
          Logo of the Washington Capitals
          $2,750,000$2,750,000
          LW
          UFA - 1
          $850,000$850,000
          C
          UFA - 1
          $1,350,000$1,350,000
          LD/RD
          UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
          • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:18 p.m.
          mokumboi
          This is extremely difficult to follow, but I can;t see Dallas trading Johnston.
          EsoYeezus69 liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:19 p.m.
          LongtimeLeafsufferer
          Some team might overpay for him but the Leafs would have no interest in Klingberg. Leafs don't need on the PP. And he is just average even strength and PK
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:24 p.m.
          the leafs arnt doing that for a guy like klingberg.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:25 p.m.
          Go Habs Go
          HABS will not trade Petry for a 3rd round. He is under contract and will need to step it up if he wants a trade. So he remains a loser in MTL until they could trade him for better
          habs_need_Scoring liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:28 p.m.
          True Reverse Retro
          Quoting: mokumboi
          This is extremely difficult to follow, but I can;t see Dallas trading Johnston.

Johnston is definitely a tough piece to move, especially with how he's torched the OHL in his Draft+1 year, but this package definitely makes it a tough choice. A 1st, solid prospect, and a long-term top-4 RD solution is an extremely hard package to pass up on.

This trade makes me uneasy. I'm either reluctantly accepting it, knowing full well that Johnston could turn into a legit top line center, or I'm uneasily declining it knowing that I'm giving up a solid haul that could fill multiple gaps 2-3 years from now.
          mokumboi and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
          mokumboi
          Quoting: TheMooterus
          Johnston is definitely a tough piece to move, especially with how he's torched the OHL in his Draft+1 year, but this package definitely makes it a tough choice. A 1st, solid prospect, and a long-term top-4 RD solution is an extremely hard package to pass up on.

This trade makes me uneasy. I'm either reluctantly accepting it, knowing full well that Johnston could turn into a legit top line center, or I'm uneasily declining it knowing that I'm giving up a solid haul that could fill multiple gaps 2-3 years from now.

For starters, you are giving up what should be a fairly high 2nd for what should be a very late 1st, so that aspect of the deal is really not that special. I am also HIGHLY skeptical that Robertson will amount to much at the NHL level. The guy is microscopic (unlike his brother) and already has a major injury history at 20. Hronek is good, but remains a defensive liability. Besides, the Stars need young impact forwards more than they need D-men these days.

I could be wrong about some of this in the end, of course, but I wouldn't do it in their shoes.
          EsoYeezus69 and TheMooterus liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:48 p.m.
          For starters, you are giving up what should be a fairly high 2nd for what should be a very late 1st, so that aspect of the deal is really not that special. I am also HIGHLY skeptical that Robertson will amount to much at the NHL level. The guy is microscopic (unlike his brother) and already has a major injury history at 20. Hronek is good, but remains a defensive liability. Besides, the Stars need young impact forwards more than they need D-men these days.

I could be wrong about some of this in the end, of course, but I wouldn't do it in their shoes.

That second is going to be mid round, Dallas isn't an awful team, they have had some rough games but I still think they get a wild card spot or just miss. Robertson is tough to judge right now, but he is still fairly highly ranked. The first week probably be low 20s, do you think Toronto makes it passed the first round? Either way it's probably 18-24 picks ahead in a pretty good draft. Hronek is good, hasn't had a good partner in Detroit. I think he's been playing with Leddy mostly. He would be good beside Suter which was my thinking on that. If Dallas trades klingberg, or he leaves in free agency, either way they only have one right handed RD in their line up and none in the system I think they could rely upon.
          mokumboi and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
          Quoting: TheMooterus

I feel if a person on the other team is actually quite uneasy about a trade, it tends to be close to fair value. Johnston would be a tough piece to trade and I know people say Dallas needs more food young forwards, but I think they are weak in the pipeline for RD and Hronek would be a good option for quite a few years. I also think he could pair well with Suter. The Stars also seem to have quite a few other good young forwards in the system with Bourque, Dellandrea, Stankoven and whoever else I missed. Plus Hintz and Robertson are studs.
          EsoYeezus69 liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.
          mokumboi
          Quoting: Lancebmx
          That second is going to be mid round, Dallas isn't an awful team, they have had some rough games but I still think they get a wild card spot or just miss.

Robertson is tough to judge right now, but he is still fairly highly ranked.

The first week probably be low 20s, do you think Toronto makes it passed the first round? Either way it's probably 18-24 picks ahead in a pretty good draft.

Hronek is good, hasn't had a good partner in Detroit. I think he's been playing with Leddy mostly. He would be good beside Suter which was my thinking on that.

If Dallas trades klingberg, or he leaves in free agency, either way they only have one right handed RD in their line up and none in the system I think they could rely upon.

1- Hmmm. I dunno, man. They are 10th in the West on points pct. right now and kinda fish-flopping along. Plus, they have a loooot of senior citizens playing key roles in that line-up, so I do not like their chances for a strong closing kick. I think they are headed straight for the lottery zone.

2- Fairly being the key word. Honestly, I've always felt he was at least a little overrated as a prospect, and now he's a routinely banged up prospect that weighs like a buck-50 dripping wet. Again, I'm not too confident with this one.

3- I know this will send shock waves through the universe... (dramatic pause)... but yes, I think Toronto escapes a round this time. I mean, it can't go on forever... right? So I'm thinking it will be closer to 10 spots than it will be to 20.

4- He's has much more defensive partners in the past. Anyway, his defensive analytics are pretty close to identical with and without Leddy this season, while Leddy's are actually slightly better with other partners. I think by now we can officially say Hronek has a tidiness issue to clear up. Or maybe it's just me.

5- Well, they have two in the line-up now, and two so-so prospects in the pipeline. And there's a decent amount of RDs set to go free (at this time anyway) over the next couple summers. So it's not quite so dire. Besides, I get the feeling they're tired of playing defensive small-margin hockey and getting nowhere with it. Again, that could just be my view of things.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:17 p.m.
          Jinx god
          Value seems fine and logic of the trade too, but dealing Johnston should be a big no no from the Stars.

From what I’ve seen, he has the potential to be a better version of prime Seguin and be one of our best players/forwards.
          mokumboi liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:22 p.m.
          1- Hmmm. I dunno, man. They are 10th in the West on points pct. right now and kinda fish-flopping along. Plus, they have a loooot of senior citizens playing key roles in that line-up, so I do not like their chances for a strong closing kick. I think they are headed straight for the lottery zone.

2- Fairly being the key word. Honestly, I've always felt he was at least a little overrated as a prospect, and now he's a routinely banged up prospect that weighs like a buck-50 dripping wet. Again, I'm not too confident with this one.

3- I know this will send shock waves through the universe... (dramatic pause)... but yes, I think Toronto escapes a round this time. I mean, it can't go on forever... right? So I'm thinking it will be closer to 10 spots than it will be to 20.

4- He's has much more defensive partners in the past. Anyway, his defensive analytics are pretty close to identical with and without Leddy this season, while Leddy's are actually slightly better with other partners. I think by now we can officially say Hronek has a tidiness issue to clear up. Or maybe it's just me.

5- Well, they have two in the line-up now, and two so-so prospects in the pipeline. And there's a decent amount of RDs set to go free (at this time anyway) over the next couple summers. So it's not quite so dire. Besides, I get the feeling they're tired of playing defensive small-margin hockey and getting nowhere with it. Again, that could just be my view of things.

I don't disagree with anything you said there, either way will be interesting year for Dallas mostly. I hope they turn out on later in the season since I got hintz, Robertson and pavs in my drafts lol
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:26 p.m.
          mokumboi
          Urgh, I read that as "don't agree" at first - the lady was distracting me.
          Lancebmx liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.
          Quoting: EsoYeezus69
          Value seems fine and logic of the trade too, but dealing Johnston should be a big no no from the Stars.

From what I’ve seen, he has the potential to be a better version of prime Seguin and be one of our best players/forwards.

Johnston would be one of my top targets to go after so stars should definitely hold onto him, unless they trade him to Detroit. I was actually kind of disappointed when Yzerman traded that pick to select Cossa after just trading for Ned. Also I was higher on Wallstedt than Cossa, also high on Johnston and Bourgault around that spot. Also would have liked to see Raty get drafted in the second round spot there, or the one we gave up for Leddy.
          EsoYeezus69 and Billy12Bob liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:30 p.m.
          Urgh, I read that as "don't agree" at first - the lady was distracting me.

For your first comment, my explanation might be a bit weird as I was making this hung over
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:31 p.m.
          Like others said above, I really don’t want to trade Johnston but the value is fair and it fits our needs. It’s a well thought out trade. Put a gun to my head I’m keeping Johnston tho
          EsoYeezus69, Lancebmx and mokumboi liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:34 p.m.
          Quoting: palhal
          Some team might overpay for him but the Leafs would have no interest in Klingberg. Leafs don't need on the PP. And he is just average even strength and PK

Quoting: JaredOfLondon
          the leafs arnt doing that for a guy like klingberg.

They have been connected to Klingberg this season. I do agree they could use a good shut down guy, but Klingberg would fit well in the Leafs play style. Either way time will tell, I don't think Robertson holds the value he once did, and really its almost now or never to go for it.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:36 p.m.
          Quoting: SlevinKalevra
          Like others said above, I really don’t want to trade Johnston but the value is fair and it fits our needs. It’s a well thought out trade. Put a gun to my head I’m keeping Johnston tho

That's totally fair, trades like that are very very difficult to make. Might make things easier if we sent a bit more back. But all in all I prefer having a higher teir player over a couple slightly lower teir players.
          SlevinKalevra liked this.
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
          Quoting: Lancebmx
          They have been connected to Klingberg this season. I do agree they could use a good shut down guy, but Klingberg would fit well in the Leafs play style. Either way time will tell, I don't think Robertson holds the value he once did, and really its almost now or never to go for it.

they've been connected to every available player, like they always are. And being connected to a guy usually just means they kicked tires at most. If that was the price, the almost certainly would have balked
          Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:39 p.m.
          Quoting: JaredOfLondon
          they've been connected to every available player, like they always are. And being connected to a guy usually just means they kicked tires at most. If that was the price, the almost certainly would have balked

Ha that is the truth, any player becomes a free agent or is in trade rumours is directly linked to Toronto, especially with TSN.

Either way we could use Toronto as a placeholder team for that trade, it doesn't have to be exact. The focus is more on the Detroit and Dallas trade for this purpose.

To create a post please Login or Register
          Question:
          Options:
          Add Option
          Submit Poll