Forums/Armchair-GM

Im not a GM

Created by: THECLUGG
Team: 2022-23 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: May 10, 2022
Published: May 10, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Only reason Rasmussen is 2C and Suter is 3C is to try and balance out the lines a bit with size and skill. Rasmussen's game is getting better but he is 100% not a 2C.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$850,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,300,000
2$925,000
2$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$800,000
1$2,000,000
2$2,200,000
Trades
CGY
  1. Newpower, Wyatt
  2. 2022 4th round pick (COL)
DET
  1. Cernak, Erik
  2. 2022 6th round pick (DET)
TBL
  1. Lindström, Gustav
  2. Veleno, Joseph
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (WSH)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$50,016,389$0$3,350,000$31,483,611

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$2,375,000$2,375,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$912,500$912,500
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$2,950,000$2,950,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 10, 2022 at 10:59 a.m.
Cernak isn't remotely available
May 10, 2022 at 11:01 a.m.
Seiders on the Storm
I prefer Ras on the wing.
May 10, 2022 at 11:05 a.m.
Pop Pop
Cernak maybe in a season when he's due a new contract might be available but not now. Mackey is an interesting option but I don't think he can step into a top 4 role.
May 10, 2022 at 11:14 a.m.
Datsyukian
Cernak is a solid DMan, but that's an overpay. You've left this team with 0 C depth.

Rather give up better assets and go after Sergachev.
May 10, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Cernak isn't remotely available

Cernak might seem untouchable, but he's due a contract in a couple years that Tampa currently doesn't have room to accommodate. Unless Tampa can shed salary elsewhere in the coming years I'd say Cernak being moved to replenish some assets is certainly a possibility.
May 10, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
I prefer Ras on the wing.

I agree Rasmussen on the wing would be ideal, but the Wings don't have many other options at the C position. When Fabbri returns that might shuffle the cards and bump him down the line up and to the wing where he should be playing. (3rd/4th line role player)
May 10, 2022 at 11:22 a.m.
Quoting: Jfstompers
Cernak maybe in a season when he's due a new contract might be available but not now. Mackey is an interesting option but I don't think he can step into a top 4 role.

Yeah the Cernak deal might be jumping the gun, but give it a season and I would expect to see him traded because Tampa (as of their current cap situation) cannot pay him the contract he's due.
I like Mackey a lot as a 4/5/6 D-man and he fits right into the age range Yzerman is trying to acquire. Given Calgary's depth at D, I don't see room for him to crack their lineup at the moment.
May 10, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.
Quoting: Datsyukian
Cernak is a solid DMan, but that's an overpay. You've left this team with 0 C depth.

Rather give up better assets and go after Sergachev.

Sergachev isn't leaving Tampa unless a team overpays drastically. Other than Larkin, the Wings have 0 C depth as is. Veleno (while still a good young player) I don't see him being any better than a 3rd line C in my opinion. Adding a guy like Cernak on the back end solidifies 3 of the top 4 D spots and allows for Yzerman to go after a 2C via trade/FA or if we're lucky we draft one that makes the team quicker than expected.
May 10, 2022 at 11:29 a.m.
Quoting: THECLUGG
Cernak might seem untouchable, but he's due a contract in a couple years that Tampa currently doesn't have room to accommodate. Unless Tampa can shed salary elsewhere in the coming years I'd say Cernak being moved to replenish some assets is certainly a possibility.

Tampa will move Sergachev before they move Cernak. At most Cernak gets the Carlo deal
Datsyukian and Sklikly liked this.
May 10, 2022 at 11:37 a.m.
Datsyukian
Sergachev isn't leaving Tampa unless a team overpays drastically. Other than Larkin, the Wings have 0 C depth as is. Veleno (while still a good young player) I don't see him being any better than a 3rd line C in my opinion. Adding a guy like Cernak on the back end solidifies 3 of the top 4 D spots and allows for Yzerman to go after a 2C via trade/FA or if we're lucky we draft one that makes the team quicker than expected.

None of this is true. Tampa will have to move some pieces and Serg will have a much bigger pay day than Cernak. Serg will be expensive but I think the Wings can get it done with a combo of Zadina, Wallinder, and their 1st. Keeps tampa light and talented at the same time.

Veleno is developing nicely and we need him to continue to do that. No point in trading him away for a 2nd/3rd pair Dman right now. Serg is a 24 year old 1st pair Dman on the left side. He is elite.

What 2C is Yzerman trading for? What does it cost? Have no interest in any of the C UFAs this year - they will all be severely overpaid.
May 10, 2022 at 11:38 a.m.
Tampa will move Sergachev before they move Cernak. At most Cernak gets the Carlo deal

I'd agree Cernak gets a deal relative to the Carlo deal for his next contract. I just can't see Sergachev getting moved over Cernak because Sergachev is a bit younger and more productive offensively. I think with Cernak, Tampa could part ways easier with a player like him because they have a younger cheaper version in Cal Foote.
May 10, 2022 at 11:50 a.m.
Quoting: Datsyukian
None of this is true. Tampa will have to move some pieces and Serg will have a much bigger pay day than Cernak. Serg will be expensive but I think the Wings can get it done with a combo of Zadina, Wallinder, and their 1st. Keeps tampa light and talented at the same time.

Veleno is developing nicely and we need him to continue to do that. No point in trading him away for a 2nd/3rd pair Dman right now. Serg is a 24 year old 1st pair Dman on the left side. He is elite.

What 2C is Yzerman trading for? What does it cost? Have no interest in any of the C UFAs this year - they will all be severely overpaid.

Yeah Tampa will have to move pieces and maybe it's Sergachev? Yes, I agree Sergachev is an elite D-man. I just put a deal together with Cernak that I thought would move the needle a bit to solidify the Wings D-corp so we're not giving up 3.5 goals a game.

Veleno is developing nicely, he's still young. I think he's still going to be a decent NHLer and have a nice career. Do I see him part of the Wings long term, I could. Could I also see him traded in a package deal to bring in a proven NHL player that helps the team take that next step, I could. Long term outlook, I just see him as a 3C with any team he'd play for with the ability to fill in at 2C in a pinch.

I couldn't tell you what 2C Yzerman would trade for as it's very difficult to get a willing trade partner for a 2C without overpaying. I agree that the C UFA's this year aren't of much interest because you're right, they will all be overpaid or given too many years on a deal. That leaves us with draft and develop a 2C hopefully.
Datsyukian liked this.
May 10, 2022 at 12:09 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
I agree Rasmussen on the wing would be ideal, but the Wings don't have many other options at the C position. When Fabbri returns that might shuffle the cards and bump him down the line up and to the wing where he should be playing. (3rd/4th line role player)

Fabbri will likely be out until at least January if he's even back at all. Even if he's back he won't be playing C. It takes 2 years to fully recover from a torn ACL or MCL. Suter will be 2C again if Stevie doesn't sign a 2C like Trochek in UFA. Veleno will be given more minutes at C. I expect Ras to play both C and wing again. Suter is much better as a C than he is as a winger. Ras can use his size more effectively on the wing.

It'll all depend on who the new head coach is as well. There's too many uncertainties to say Rasmussen will be a permanent 2C.
May 10, 2022 at 12:21 p.m.

Erik Cernak is the least likely available of TBs non Nmc/Ntc players
May 10, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: Soninlawovwasgr8
Erik Cernak is the least likely available of TBs non Nmc/Ntc players

I mean, is he?

Tampa's got 8 guys for next year that don't have clauses: Cernak, Sergachev, Brian Elliott, Anthony Cirelli, Ross Colton, Cal Foote, Brandon Hagel, and, for one more year, Brayden Point.

Point is obviously more untouchable. I'd argue that JBB would rather move Cernak before Colton or Hagel, since those two dudes have such low AAVs and will still be RFAs when their current deals expire. Foote/Elliott are whatever. Cirelli & Sergachev probably hurt just as much as moving Cernak, but probably go first because of the higher cap hit.

I don't buy that Cernak is totally untouchable, though - he's a good player, but clearly their 4th best D (Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev are all better players.) If you could re-sign Jan Ruutta for ~$2M, he can slide into the top 4 and then Cernak becomes expendable, IMO. You're going to pay a ton for him, for sure, but he's not like this franchise icon that Tampa could never think of moving.
THECLUGG liked this.
May 10, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
Fabbri will likely be out until at least January if he's even back at all. Even if he's back he won't be playing C. It takes 2 years to fully recover from a torn ACL or MCL. Suter will be 2C again if Stevie doesn't sign a 2C like Trochek in UFA. Veleno will be given more minutes at C. I expect Ras to play both C and wing again. Suter is much better as a C than he is as a winger. Ras can use his size more effectively on the wing.

It'll all depend on who the new head coach is as well. There's too many uncertainties to say Rasmussen will be a permanent 2C.

So much uncertainty everywhere. I think Fabbri is a winger no doubts and hopefully his recovery goes well and he returns to form to play as good or better than prior to his injury . As I mentioned, I don't think Ras is a 2C at all. I just tried to balance out the size and skill sets over the top 3 lines. Suter is definitely better suited overall as a 2C than Ras.

I couldn't tell you what direction Yzerman goes with a new head coach. I just know he wants someone that will come in and hold the players to a higher standard and will clean up the defensive issues.
May 10, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
That trade makes absolutely no sense for Detroit. Why would they give up a 2nd a their best C best prospect to slightly improve a defenseman who would play on the bottom pair?
May 10, 2022 at 12:45 p.m.
Yeah the Cernak deal might be jumping the gun, but give it a season and I would expect to see him traded because Tampa (as of their current cap situation) cannot pay him the contract he's due.
I like Mackey a lot as a 4/5/6 D-man and he fits right into the age range Yzerman is trying to acquire. Given Calgary's depth at D, I don't see room for him to crack their lineup at the moment.

Yes, yes they can. Of all the younger players who might be up for trade, Cernak is by far the least likely to be moved. He's their best player at their weakest position, so yeah, he's as untouchable as they come and won't be traded anytime soon.
May 10, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.

Agreed, if Tampa has to lose one of the big 3 rfa's, either Cirelli or Serg goes before Cernak(probably Cirelli since Tampa is overall deeper at F, but if Serg is demanding laughable $ then they could move him instead).
May 10, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
Quoting: rednwhite
That trade makes absolutely no sense for Detroit. Why would they give up a 2nd a their best C best prospect to slightly improve a defenseman who would play on the bottom pair?

I disagree with you, Cernak is not a bottom pair D-man. He's no number 1 or 2 D-man, but I think he would be playing in just about every teams top 4.

Maybe trading Veleno would be the wrong move, but as I captioned this "I'm not a GM" LOL
May 10, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
I disagree with you, Cernak is not a bottom pair D-man. He's no number 1 or 2 D-man, but I think he would be playing in just about every teams top 4.

Maybe trading Veleno would be the wrong move, but as I captioned this "I'm not a GM" LOL

I can't see him commanding more minutes then Seider or Hronek on the right side. If he could be successful playing the opposite side there could be a fit but I think he has primarily played the right side in his career. Doesn't make sense for Detroit.
May 10, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: rednwhite
I can't see him commanding more minutes then Seider or Hronek on the right side. If he could be successful playing the opposite side there could be a fit but I think he has primarily played the right side in his career. Doesn't make sense for Detroit.

No chance Cernak would take minutes from Seider, but Cernak could easily take minutes away from Hronek. Both could be seen as #4 D.
May 10, 2022 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
I mean, is he?

Tampa's got 8 guys for next year that don't have clauses: Cernak, Sergachev, Brian Elliott, Anthony Cirelli, Ross Colton, Cal Foote, Brandon Hagel, and, for one more year, Brayden Point.

Point is obviously more untouchable. I'd argue that JBB would rather move Cernak before Colton or Hagel, since those two dudes have such low AAVs and will still be RFAs when their current deals expire. Foote/Elliott are whatever. Cirelli & Sergachev probably hurt just as much as moving Cernak, but probably go first because of the higher cap hit.

I don't buy that Cernak is totally untouchable, though - he's a good player, but clearly their 4th best D (Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev are all better players.) If you could re-sign Jan Ruutta for ~$2M, he can slide into the top 4 and then Cernak becomes expendable, IMO. You're going to pay a ton for him, for sure, but he's not like this franchise icon that Tampa could never think of moving.

Already has 8 point already has an 8-year extension in plac
I mean, is he?

Cermak is their best player at it's weakest position, Points NMC KICKS IN 7/1
Yes id keep Cernak over either Hagel or Colton
May 10, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: Soninlawovwasgr8
Already has 8 point already has an 8-year extension in plac
Cermak is their best player at it's weakest position, Points NMC KICKS IN 7/1
Yes id keep Cernak over either Hagel or Colton

Point of order(pun greatly intended) - per CF, Brayden Point's NMC doesn't kick in til 7/1/2023. Not sure why the first year of the 8 year deal doesn't have it, but that's how it's written up.

I can go either way on Colton, but I think they'd keep Hagel over Cernak, if only out of stubbornness - they paid two 1sts for him and I don't know if another team would pay the same price this summer, so even if they were open to moving Hagel it feels like it would be easier to move Cernak instead.

Again, not saying they're dumping Cernak tomorrow, but he's just a solid top 4. There are other guys they'd prefer moving before him, but if the right deal came along, a good GM would be open to it instead of branding a player "untouchable".
May 10, 2022 at 3:30 p.m.
Point of order(pun greatly intended) - per CF, Brayden Point's NMC doesn't kick in til 7/1/2023. Not sure why the first year of the 8 year deal doesn't have it, but that's how it's written up.

I can go either way on Colton, but I think they'd keep Hagel over Cernak, if only out of stubbornness - they paid two 1sts for him and I don't know if another team would pay the same price this summer, so even if they were open to moving Hagel it feels like it would be easier to move Cernak instead.

Again, not saying they're dumping Cernak tomorrow, but he's just a solid top 4. There are other guys they'd prefer moving before him, but if the right deal came along, a good GM would be open to it instead of branding a player "untouchable".

They paid a first and third for savard to let him completely walk nope JBB isn't stubborn

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll