SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread #3

Mar. 27, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Edited Mar. 27, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Canisius, Denver, Minnesota State-Mankato and Western Michigan were eliminated.

Who may sign?

Two-way NHL Deals
Jake Livingstone, RHD, Jr, Minnesota State
Ryan McAllister, LW, Fr, Western Michigan
Jason Polin, RW, Sr, Western Michigan
Akito Hirose, RHD, Jr, Minnesota State

Probably AHL Deals
Casey Dornbach, F, Sr, Denver
Aidan Fulp, RHD, Jr, Western Michigan
Brendan Furry, C, Sr, Minnesota State
Keaton Mastrodonato, RW, Sr, Canisius
Ondrej Pavel, C, Jr, Minnesota State
Ryan Sandelin, RW, Sr, Minnesota State
David Silye, C, Jr, Minnesota State

Probably ECHL Deals
Cade Borchardt, F, Sr, Minnesota State
Andy Carroll, D, Sr, Minnesota State
Cole Gallant, F, Gr, Western Michigan
David Melaragni, D, Sr, Canisius
Ryan Miotto, C, Sr, Canisius

Probably return to school
Jackson Decker, D, Jr, Canisius
Christian Fitzgerald, F, Fr, Minnesota State
Zak Galambos, RHD, Jr, Western Michigan
Luke Grainger, C, Jr, Western Michigan
Randy Hernandez, RW, Jr, Canisius
Carter King, F, So, Denver
Max Sasson, C, So, Western Michigan
Dylan Wendt, C/RW, So, Western Michigan

Sasson got signed by Vancouver, so would that mean he would not go back to school?
Mar. 29, 2023 at 4:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So I thought Regina Pats werent making the playoffs but turns out I was wrong as apparently they had an incredible 2 weeks and are in.

Anyways we gonna get to see playoff Bedard

49 points is the record McDavid set his playoffs so lets see.
zk97 liked this.
Mar. 29, 2023 at 5:25 p.m.
I make typos

Wasn’t expecting that
zk97 liked this.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
Hobey Baker finalists: Fantilli, Cooley, Knies

Mar. 30, 2023 at 3:45 p.m.
I make typos

474kzy.png
BigBallsBriere and Tintin liked this.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 3:46 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: oilersguy
474kzy.png

Matty Knies has got to be one of the most overrated prospects.
oilersguy, Sharkie69, KSIxSKULLS and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
torontos finest
enjoying everyone seething over the goat matty knies getting the finalist nod
aadoyle liked this.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Matty Knies has got to be one of the most overrated prospects.

If anything, he is probably underrated as NHL prospect. Would probably be inside my top-20 prospects today.

(I am not a Leafs fan)
Mar. 30, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
WentWughes

Lmao
Mar. 30, 2023 at 5:59 p.m.
WentWughes
If anything, he is probably underrated as NHL prospect. Would probably be inside my top-20 prospects today.

(I am not a Leafs fan)

Bruh where do you get your rankings from? He'd struggle to make my top 50.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:12 p.m.

Just insert Cartman clip for all the salty fans out there who gonna say a certain someone shouldnt be in. All 3 have earned it

Would have been funny if Snuggerud was with Knies and Cooley

(I am not a Leafs fan)

Nobody thought much about him besides his size then within one year of being drafted he had a good college season, got selected for team USA of the Olympics and went to WJC twice.

Not bad

Then follows it up with a even better college performance and won big 10 player of the year not bad.

Now will he make it right out of the gate into the NHL after this season and contribute in a playoff push idk. But hes got a bright future ahead based on what development staff and scouts have said about him.

Still amazed by the shorty he scored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p7Twu18q40
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts
I don't see the point of this Knies discourse anyway. He's not going to win.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:26 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Sharkie69
I don't see the point of this Knies discourse anyway. He's not going to win.

if he wasn't a leafs prospect people wouldn't be upset
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:28 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: mondo
if he wasn't a leafs prospect people wouldn't be upset

People probably still would be. I mean Knies being here and not Hutson is outrageous. I think Habs fans are overhyping him a bit too much but yeesh....
Sharkie69, oilersguy and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Juiceman
People probably still would be. I mean Knies being here and not Hutson is outrageous. I think Habs fans are overhyping him a bit too much but yeesh....

freshman are rarely finalists, let alone win it.

from what i've heard from people who actually watch ncaa hockey instead of looking at elitepropsects, it shouldn't be a shocker knies is a finalist.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Quoting: Juiceman

I also think that some people could also make a case for Luke Hughes. His year was also better than Knies.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:33 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

from what i've heard from people who actually watch ncaa hockey instead of looking at elitepropsects, it shouldn't be a shocker knies is a finalist.

It should be a shocker when a guy as dynamite as Hutson who is breaking records left right and center is not even considered top 3
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:35 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Just insert Cartman clip for all the salty fans out there who gonna say a certain someone shouldnt be in. All 3 have earned it

Would have been funny if Snuggerud was with Knies and Cooley

Nobody thought much about him besides his size then within one year of being drafted he had a good college season, got selected for team USA of the Olympics and went to WJC twice.

Not bad

Then follows it up with a even better college performance and won big 10 player of the year not bad.

Now will he make it right out of the gate into the NHL after this season and contribute in a playoff push idk. But hes got a bright future ahead based on what development staff and scouts have said about him.

Still amazed by the shorty he scored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p7Twu18q40

There were a few like Steve Kournianos (the "Draft Analyst") that were very high on him in his draft year.

USHL gets no love from Canadian hockey media.
aadoyle liked this.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:42 p.m.

It is not at all a shock. Knies deserves to be there. He makes an impact on every shift in every area of the ice.

Also, College hockey fans are aware of the shape Hockey East is in...and the system BU plays...aren't too surprised by the high point totals Hutson has put up. Fensore and Farrance did the same. If Hutson was playing in the Big Ten this year, he would have had far less points.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:45 p.m.
torontos finest
It is not at all a shock. Knies deserves to be there. He makes an impact on every shift in every area of the ice.

Also, College hockey fans are aware of the shape Hockey East is in...and the system BU plays...aren't too surprised by the high point totals Hutson has put up. Fensore and Farrance did the same. If Hutson was playing in the Big Ten this year, he would have had far less points.

Since you sound familiar with the NCAA, do you think Knies would be able to make an immediate impact on the Leafs? A lot of people have really high expectations for him but I'm thinking he starts on the fourth line or on the Marlies.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 6:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
There were a few like Steve Kournianos (the "Draft Analyst") that were very high on him in his draft year.

Forgot about Steve, always had fun reports

Should start reading em again.
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Paul Zuk had a good profile on him pre-draft

“ Another aspect where Knies could look to build on is his passing accuracy. His vision and hockey smarts help him know when and where to put the puck, but he struggles with delivering it successfully at times. That could be chalked up to a myriad of factors, but excuses won’t solve the problem at hand. Knies is a creative, talented passer of the puck, if he can get the accuracy down pat, he could be elite.”

E7E1UErXIAIvpZg?format=png&name=small

He improved tremendously in Minnesota

Mar. 30, 2023 at 8:08 p.m.
Since you sound familiar with the NCAA, do you think Knies would be able to make an immediate impact on the Leafs? A lot of people have really high expectations for him but I'm thinking he starts on the fourth line or on the Marlies.

His all-around game should be NHL-ready enough to skip AHL. But probably starts in bottom-six role. And jumping right into big role for playoff race may be expecting too much. Although I would not be surprised to see him get his chance to be 3rd piece on one of the top lines in more of a puck retrieval role to free up the skill guys off the boards. Stylistically he is probably a bit like Nino Niederreiter. Plays heavier, but can swing it in transition too, but not really an outright power forward who runs through people. If he does turn into top-6 option, it’s probably more in a role like JvR or Pittsburgh-era Patric Hornqvist. Will spend a lot of time in corners and in dirty areas around net while more skilled linemates create chances from more open ice. But also skilled enough where he could come out of the gate like Boldy.

I think by this time next year, he will make a lot of Leafs fans forget about Bunting if he leaves.
mondo liked this.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.
torontos finest
His all-around game should be NHL-ready enough to skip AHL. But probably starts in bottom-six role. And jumping right into big role for playoff race may be expecting too much. Although I would not be surprised to see him get his chance to be 3rd piece on one of the top lines in more of a puck retrieval role to free up the skill guys off the boards. Stylistically he is probably a bit like Nino Niederreiter. Plays heavier, but can swing it in transition too, but not really an outright power forward who runs through people. If he does turn into top-6 option, it’s probably more in a role like JvR or Pittsburgh-era Patric Hornqvist. Will spend a lot of time in corners and in dirty areas around net while more skilled linemates create chances from more open ice. But also skilled enough where he could come out of the gate like Boldy.

I think by this time next year, he will make a lot of Leafs fans forget about Bunting if he leaves.

I'm really hoping he pans out to be a reliable top 6 guy that can play like JVR/Hornqvist because Toronto has seriously lacked a player with that archetype.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 30, 2023 at 8:16 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Paul Zuk had a good profile on him pre-draft

“ Another aspect where Knies could look to build on is his passing accuracy. His vision and hockey smarts help him know when and where to put the puck, but he struggles with delivering it successfully at times. That could be chalked up to a myriad of factors, but excuses won’t solve the problem at hand. Knies is a creative, talented passer of the puck, if he can get the accuracy down pat, he could be elite.”

E7E1UErXIAIvpZg?format=png&name=small

He improved tremendously in Minnesota

He is a noticeably solid player on a very good team. There are probably guys coming out this year that will eventually put up higher point totals, but Knies makes an impact all over the ice in many ways. And has been doing against Big-Ten, which top-to-bottom is a very solid conference where the style of play is probably most similar to NHL game.

(Also for Leafs fans…don’t sleep on Mike Koster. Like Lane Hutson, he was 5’7” when drafted and has amazing East-west mobility and puck control. Very fun player to watch).

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll