SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Calgary Flames signed Jonathan Huberdeau (8 Years / $10,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 20, 2023 at 8:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I feel Sutter is just not the coach for this guy

Flames need someone who knows how to work with a guy like this as clearly Sutter doesnt
Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:01 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: aadoyle

Flames need someone who knows how to work with a guy like this as clearly Sutter doesnt

Yep you don't go from a career PPG to the garbage he is now in a year. He needs a new coach ASAP
Feb. 20, 2023 at 10:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Yep you don't go from a career PPG to the garbage he is now in a year. He needs a new coach ASAP

Yep and I feel bad for him as I was like yea there's gonna be a little point drop as going from Barkov to Lindholm or Kadri is kind of a downgrade

But man hes expected to finish with 50 points this season

WTF is Sutter doing to him
Feb. 20, 2023 at 11:38 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Saskleaf
Don’t understand why people don’t like this deal.

Ya sure, by the end of this contract it won’t look good. So what? The flames made this trade to get a star back for some stars that wanted out. They got that star locked up long term. It was either they sign this deal or rebuild. They chose the right move and signed the deal.

Ok, this contract looks absolutely horrible right now. I stand by my original comments, after making this trade they needed to resign him, so I think this speak towards the trade more so than contract but it looks like it might be one of the worst deals in the league in a few years.
GiggywithGibby and RawDeal liked this.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:14 a.m.

I don’t think it’s coaching - Gaudreau and Tkachuk adapted. Huberdeau just regressed, he probably won’t be this bad next season but it looks like his days of having elite production are over.
Sharkie69 liked this.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 12:06 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Quoting: Db1899
I don’t think it’s coaching - Gaudreau and Tkachuk adapted. Huberdeau just regressed, he probably won’t be this bad next season but it looks like his days of having elite production are over.

that would be sad
Feb. 21, 2023 at 12:25 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Ok, this contract looks absolutely horrible right now. I stand by my original comments, after making this trade they needed to resign him, so I think this speak towards the trade more so than contract but it looks like it might be one of the worst deals in the league in a few years.

GMs do this all the time. They make a trade, and to justify the trade, the feel they have to sign the acquired player at "any cost". Flames didn't have to resign Huberneau or even Weager, but the GM had to convince himself and others they got a return for Tkachuk who signed long term in Florida. Flames would be thousand times better off, having the first rounder , Hubie and Weegar for one year each and 16.75m in cap this summer to fill two positions.
Heck we see the same scenario on CF. Leafs fans are making rosters with ROR resigned. Why? Just because the Leafs over paid (my opinion) to acquire ROR, don't compound the problem by resigning him to too much $$$ and term. Gee, the Leafs are one win in two games with ROR.....yep he has to be resigned.
RawDeal liked this.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: palhal
GMs do this all the time. They make a trade, and to justify the trade, the feel they have to sign the acquired player at "any cost". Flames didn't have to resign Huberneau or even Weager, but the GM had to convince himself and others they got a return for Tkachuk who signed long term in Florida. Flames would be thousand times better off, having the first rounder , Hubie and Weegar for one year each and 16.75m in cap this summer to fill two positions.
Heck we see the same scenario on CF. Leafs fans are making rosters with ROR resigned. Why? Just because the Leafs over paid (my opinion) to acquire ROR, don't compound the problem by resigning him to too much $$$ and term. Gee, the Leafs are one win in two games with ROR.....yep he has to be resigned.

I kind of agree with you. If you are acquiring a guy like Huberdeau in exchange for a superstar like Tkachuk, you want to keep him around. If the flames haven’t done this deal, they’d still be in a bad position because they’d have nothing really to show for Tkachuk. Flipping him would have been ideal but something kind of had to be done.

As for ROR, why would the leafs not want to resign him? They pay all that for him, they’re probably wanting to keep him around it possible.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Tkachuck has the benefit of having a coach who has worked with players like him. We **** talk Maurice but he knows how to work with wings like him as WPG was full of em.

Gaudreau adapted as when u go from a coach like Sutter to an easier coach the pressure's off. Sutter is not the coach for the flames or is the guy to get Huberdeau going. Hes old school and we can see it Flames are not responding to him every game. Someone like Quinville would be perfect but with what he allowed to happen hes not coming back.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Tkachuck has the benefit of having a coach who has worked with players like him. We **** talk Maurice but he knows how to work with wings like him as WPG was full of em.

Gaudreau adapted as when u go from a coach like Sutter to an easier coach the pressure's off. Sutter is not the coach for the flames or is the guy to get Huberdeau going. Hes old school and we can see it Flames are not responding to him every game. Someone like Quinville would be perfect but with what he allowed to happen hes not coming back.

I am saying Tkachuk and Gaudreau adapted to Sutter and his system.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I am saying Tkachuk and Gaudreau adapted to Sutter and his system.

Yea but I feel his times run cold as this is a new team with new guys. Like look at the Canucks great with Boudreau 1 year terrible another

Same things happening in CGY. I guarantee if both those guys stayed we would be seeing the same problem
Feb. 21, 2023 at 5:26 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I kind of agree with you. If you are acquiring a guy like Huberdeau in exchange for a superstar like Tkachuk, you want to keep him around. If the flames haven’t done this deal, they’d still be in a bad position because they’d have nothing really to show for Tkachuk. Flipping him would have been ideal but something kind of had to be done.

As for ROR, why would the leafs not want to resign him? They pay all that for him, they’re probably wanting to keep him around it possible.

Gee, I don't think the Flames would at all be in a bad position if they hadn't resigned Huberneau. Having 10.5m this summer in a cap strapped league is golden. 10.5m in cap, Weager and first. Tkachuk was in a effect UFA. Teams shouldn't expect to get a ":return" for UFAs. Heck the Flames got Markstrom, Tanev, Coleman, Kadri as UFAs and they didn't have to give up any assets to obtain them.

Only a bad GM would make a a bad resigning of a player just because he obtained that player. I really don't know why Dubas and Leafs management have made so many as I would say "bad" decisions in trades and contract negotiations But if the Leafs aren't successful this upcoming playoffs, I would hope Dubas is fired immediately after the last game.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 6:12 p.m.
Go leafs go
Gee, I don't think the Flames would at all be in a bad position if they hadn't resigned Huberneau. Having 10.5m this summer in a cap strapped league is golden. 10.5m in cap, Weager and first. Tkachuk was in a effect UFA. Teams shouldn't expect to get a ":return" for UFAs. Heck the Flames got Markstrom, Tanev, Coleman, Kadri as UFAs and they didn't have to give up any assets to obtain them.

Only a bad GM would make a a bad resigning of a player just because he obtained that player. I really don't know why Dubas and Leafs management have made so many as I would say "bad" decisions in trades and contract negotiations But if the Leafs aren't successful this upcoming playoffs, I would hope Dubas is fired immediately after the last game.

10.5 mil in cap space to sign more UFAs to bad contracts lol? You win some and you lose some with contracts like this. At the time it looked like a good deal. Don’t forget Huberdeau was coming off of a 115 point season. There was know way of know his problem was going to cut pretty much in half.

Don’t even know how I feel about Dubas anymore. If the leafs win even one round he absolutely should be extended. But if they don’t I feel like they have to let him go. It’s hard to justify this many playoff loses in a row.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 6:22 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
10.5 mil in cap space to sign more UFAs to bad contracts lol? You win some and you lose some with contracts like this. At the time it looked like a good deal. Don’t forget Huberdeau was coming off of a 115 point season. There was know way of know his problem was going to cut pretty much in half.

Don’t even know how I feel about Dubas anymore. If the leafs win even one round he absolutely should be extended. But if they don’t I feel like they have to let him go. It’s hard to justify this many playoff loses in a row.

Maybe it's me but I don't think a player should be signed to an eight year extension when the new contract starts at the age of 30 (Huberneau). Yep he had a career but try projecting what he coming become. Same with Kadri, career year last season, but he has slipped this year. His seven year contract started when he was 32 years of age. I don't like this for the Flames at all.
Saskleaf and RawDeal liked this.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Maybe it's me but I don't think a player should be signed to an eight year extension when the new contract starts at the age of 30 (Huberneau). Yep he had a career but try projecting what he coming become. Same with Kadri, career year last season, but he has slipped this year. His seven year contract started when he was 32 years of age. I don't like this for the Flames at all.

Just a note, alway enjoy my chats with you. Spring will be here soon.
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 3:18 p.m.
Hockey/Caps fan
This was bad when it was signed and it is much worse now.
This 'Trevling' contract will hurt the Flames for at least 7 more years, many more if they decide to (try to) buy it out... what a travesty. Makes the Weegar contract shine; who is now out scoring Hubie... yikes.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 3:20 p.m.
Bedard23
Top 10 worst deals in NHL history
Rolfadinho and areax91 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 6:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Just a note, alway enjoy my chats with you. Spring will be here soon.

Hi bud. Good to hear for you. Winter hasn't been here much in much in southern Ontario, so I'm not thinking about spring yet, since winter hasn't arrived.
Are you still in school? Hope you are well and Seasons Greetings
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 11:04 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
Top 10 worst deals in NHL history

Yeah, people knew this deal would age badly. The fact that it aged so badly so fast is shocking. I thought that the Flames would get 2-3 good seasons from Huby before he falls off a cliff.
majormoose007 liked this.
Dec. 23, 2023 at 9:50 a.m.
Quoting: Rolfadinho
Yeah, people knew this deal would age badly. The fact that it aged so badly so fast is shocking. I thought that the Flames would get 2-3 good seasons from Huby before he falls off a cliff.

Shocking for sure. Nobody could have reasonably expected that there was even a chance he’d drop off this much. But this signing was not just about locking up the guy they thought was going to be their superstar. It was about demonstrating their commitment to keeping a contending team together (remember, they were coming off a season when they finished first in their division), so that players like Lindholm, Hanifin, Backlund, Tanev and Toffoli would want to stay after their contracts ran out. It worked with Backlund. It didn’t work with Toffoli, but that trade seems to be working out well for Calgary. We’ll see what happens with the rest of them.
Rolfadinho liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 8:33 a.m.
Go leafs go
Hi bud. Good to hear for you. Winter hasn't been here much in much in southern Ontario, so I'm not thinking about spring yet, since winter hasn't arrived.
Are you still in school? Hope you are well and Seasons Greetings

Lol Winter isn’t really here in Saskatchewan either, more then there but not like normal. I am well, and you? No I just graduated
Dec. 24, 2023 at 10:22 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Lol Winter isn’t really here in Saskatchewan either, more then there but not like normal. I am well, and you? No I just graduated

Congrats on the graduation. Now welcome to the bitter reality of the working world.happy Life has been very good to me. I'm between my house and my GF's house 115m north in rural Parry Sound. Curl three times a week. A lady friend of mine is living in my house for now as she could not live in her apartment. So the joke is, she's a sister wife, as when I do gone go home, they house is clean and a meal is cooked. (PS she's living rent free at my place). September went on an Alaskan cruise, and in January going to Mexico for two weeks.
GF's two adult children and daughter in law will be visiting for three days starting today. Better get off my ass and help getting around the house.
Thanks for asking (hope I didn't bore you). Wishing you a prosperous and happy New Year.
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 10:32 a.m.
Go leafs go
Congrats on the graduation. Now welcome to the bitter reality of the working world.happy Life has been very good to me. I'm between my house and my GF's house 115m north in rural Parry Sound. Curl three times a week. A lady friend of mine is living in my house for now as she could not live in her apartment. So the joke is, she's a sister wife, as when I do gone go home, they house is clean and a meal is cooked. (PS she's living rent free at my place). September went on an Alaskan cruise, and in January going to Mexico for two weeks.
GF's two adult children and daughter in law will be visiting for three days starting today. Better get off my ass and help getting around the house.
Thanks for asking (hope I didn't bore you). Wishing you a prosperous and happy New Year.

You as well! Merry Christmas and a happy new Year!
palhal liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit