This is what I had suggested this offseason

Created by: TMLBRIAN
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 5, 2022
Published: Nov. 5, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
My suggestion this offseason was:

Trade Marner (33m in 3 players is too much. That is the only reason why I suggested to trade him)
Trade Kerfoot + Holl before the deadline for picks, for the cap space.
Use the cap space to get bigger and more physical.
I thought Kane and JT Miller would be great additions up front and thought they could reasonably be had.
The Marner trade getting Wilson is a longshot. But teams would have paid a lot for him.
Getting Schenn as a 6-8 dman would be perfect.
Roy could have maybe been had since LA has so many right D men. But I know LA loves him. A guy like Mayfield could also be a viable option and a more likely option.
I thought they should go for Kuemper as their number one option and they had the money to do it. I had Fleury as number 2.

This team is more balance, bigger, stronger and still very skilled.

This is the route I would have taken if I were GM.

Lines can be constructed 400 different ways, so don't put too much stock in those.

Thoughts?
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Kane, Evander
5$5,500,000
Kuemper, Darcy
5$5,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Hathaway, Garnet
  2. Wilson, Tom
  3. 2023 1st round pick (WSH)
TOR
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
before deadline to a team
TOR
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Holl, Justin
Additional Details:
before deadline to a team,
TOR
    no.
    OTT
    1. Murray, Matt
    2. 2023 3rd round pick (OTT)
    3. 2024 7th round pick (OTT)
    Additional Details:
    no.
    TOR
      Not signed. I like the player but I think we needed the cap for bigger and more physical players.
      TOR
      1. Miller, J.T. ($2,625,000 retained)
      2. Schenn, Luke
      VAN
      1. Engvall, Pierre
      2. Niemelä, Topi
      3. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
      4. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
      LAK
      1. Hirvonen, Roni
      2. 2023 1st round pick (WSH)
      3. 2025 3rd round pick (TOR)
      TOR
      1. Stepan, Derek
      Additional Details:
      signed
      CAR
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$82,500,000$83,303,247$212,500$0-$803,247
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $950,000$950,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $11,640,250$11,640,250
      C
      UFA - 2
      $6,962,366$6,962,366
      RW
      UFA - 2
      Kane, Evander
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      Logo of the Washington Capitals
      $5,166,667$5,166,667
      RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $796,667$796,667
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $2,625,000$2,625,000
      C, LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Washington Capitals
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $840,630$840,630
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
      $750,000$750,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $834,167$834,167
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $7,500,000$7,500,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 8
      Kuemper, Darcy
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
      $3,150,000$3,150,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD/RD
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      $5,625,000$5,625,000
      LD
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $850,000$850,000
      RD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 2:29 p.m.
      Roy was not and is not available.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 2:32 p.m.
      Evander Kane never made it to market,
      Vancouver was looking for a larger return than that for them to trade miller in the offseason
      Capitals have 0 indication they would be interested in any of those moves, they arent open to moving Wilson etc
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 2:34 p.m.
      Quoting: tkecanuck341
      Roy was not and is not available.

read the description.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 2:38 p.m.
      Quoting: coga16
      Evander Kane never made it to market,
      Vancouver was looking for a larger return than that for them to trade miller in the offseason
      Capitals have 0 indication they would be interested in any of those moves, they arent open to moving Wilson etc

I believe Kane was allowed to talk to other teams and did. I could be wrong on this but I am quite confiedent.
      I think my offers for MIller this off season were a little stronger than this one. Maybe add a 2nd. Niemela is a nice piece.
      I figured about Wilson. Just what I wanted. I did write in my description that it was probably not probable but that Marner would fetch a nice return regardless. Would have opened up their cap quite a bit.
      The Kerfoot deal could have been any team. I based it around the Connor Brown to Washington trade. I assume Washington would have also offered that 2nd to Toronto for Kerfoot. Leafs just didn't do it and then the deal was off the table once they got Brown.
      capsfan2121 liked this.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 2:42 p.m.
      Quoting: TMLBRIAN
      I believe Kane was allowed to talk to other teams and did. I could be wrong on this but I am quite confiedent.
      I think my offers for MIller this off season were a little stronger than this one. Maybe add a 2nd. Niemela is a nice piece.
      I figured about Wilson. Just what I wanted. I did write in my description that it was probably not probable but that Marner would fetch a nice return regardless. Would have opened up their cap quite a bit.
      The Kerfoot deal could have been any team. I based it around the Connor Brown to Washington trade. I assume Washington would have also offered that 2nd to Toronto for Kerfoot. Leafs just didn't do it and then the deal was off the table once they got Brown.

but he never made it to market, he signed with the oilers before becoming a free agent, he was never an option to sign
      the 1st and Niemelä is just not the high end pieces they were looking for. If thats all they wanted, he would have been traded in the offseason. Engvall as a pending UFA offers little to no value to them, it's a throw in.

Brown is way more coveted than Kerfoot. They dont hold the same value.
      Wilson is just a non starter, cant suggest an offseason possible move that is not even available on the trade market
      capsfan2121 liked this.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 2:44 p.m.
      Judd Bracket ripoff
      Canucks aren’t trading luke schenn
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
      Tintin over 1122
      nope.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.
      Future Norris guy
      Evander Kane and Darcy Kuemper were never going to sign with Toronto, What a joke.

You trade Mitch Marner for Tom Wilson and Garnet Hathaway, What part of Tom Wilson being out for most of the season don't you understand?

Talk about pure trash offer for J. T. Miller and Luke Schenn. That hardly gets Miller let alone adding schenn to the mix.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 2:56 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      It's a silly scenario trading 11m Marner for 5.2m Wilson. How does that work with Washington cap. I agree you that Marner should have been traded but plunking his high cap on a team just may not work.
      Sure Kane looks good now...but do you really want him for five years.?
      I'm not sure when these Kerfoot and Holl trades took place by your post.
      Miller....OK that might be good trade for this year. But certainly there is would no cap for him to be extended, and even extending him may not be a good idea.
      I agree with you about Jarnkrok....Gee 2.1m X 4 for a bottom ender....Guys like that are 1.2m players.
      Murray...Leafs were so fortunate to get out from Mrzarek's contract then they ruin it by trade for 4.7M X 2 Murray. I lot better goalies available. I wouldn't signed Kuemper. Love the Samsonov signing and I thought Comrie at 1.8m was a steal by the Sabres.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 3:05 p.m.
      read the description.

I did. I read this:

"Roy could have maybe been had..."

I'm telling you there was absolutely no chance.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.
      Once a Kings Fan Too
      Contrary to what a few of my fellow Kings adherents firmly believe, Roy for Sandin and a 2023 first is still a possibility, although remote. The actual professionals in the Los Angeles front office might have as high an opinion of Sandin's upside as his fans in Leafs Nation do. But his half-hearted holdout might be a negative sign.
      TMLBRIAN liked this.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 3:14 p.m.
      but he never made it to market, he signed with the oilers before becoming a free agent, he was never an option to sign
      the 1st and Niemelä is just not the high end pieces they were looking for. If thats all they wanted, he would have been traded in the offseason. Engvall as a pending UFA offers little to no value to them, it's a throw in.

Brown is way more coveted than Kerfoot. They dont hold the same value.
      Wilson is just a non starter, cant suggest an offseason possible move that is not even available on the trade market

He never made it to market because Edmonton offered him the most in conversations with teams. I offered him 250k more a year and added an extra year. He would have made it to market if the conversations he was having trended in that direciton.
      Kerfoot and Brown definitely have similar value and have played very similar roles. Look at how their are utilized and how they have done throughout their career and their contract. All very similar.

As for Wilson, I did mention that was a longshot. My main suggestion was that they trade Marner for size, physicality and cap flexibility. The Wilson trade was my perfect scenario although very unlikely.

Yes Miller my package here for Miller and Schenn may not have been enough. I would have tried to make a deal work though. I suggested adding a 2nd. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, High End RD prospect and a serviceable player going back for cap purposes. Still may be short but I would have went hard for him and Schenn this offseason.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
      He never made it to market because Edmonton offered him the most in conversations with teams. I offered him 250k more a year and added an extra year. He would have made it to market if the conversations he was having trended in that direciton.
      Kerfoot and Brown definitely have similar value and have played very similar roles. Look at how their are utilized and how they have done throughout their career and their contract. All very similar.

As for Wilson, I did mention that was a longshot. My main suggestion was that they trade Marner for size, physicality and cap flexibility. The Wilson trade was my perfect scenario although very unlikely.

Yes Miller my package here for Miller and Schenn may not have been enough. I would have tried to make a deal work though. I suggested adding a 2nd. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, High End RD prospect and a serviceable player going back for cap purposes. Still may be short but I would have went hard for him and Schenn this offseason.

You never had a chance to sign him, he was never an option. It's a non starter, you cant sign a guy who never made it to market.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
      Quoting: OldNYIfan
      Contrary to what a few of my fellow Kings adherents firmly believe, Roy for Sandin and a 2023 first is still a possibility, although remote. The actual professionals in the Los Angeles front office might have as high an opinion of Sandin's upside as his fans in Leafs Nation do. But his half-hearted holdout might be a negative sign.

I don't think the Leafs should trade Sandin at all. He has very high end potential. But I see why LA doesn't move Roy without him included.

I think think Chychryun to LA is possible in a few months!
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 3:18 p.m.
      You never had a chance to sign him, he was never an option. It's a non starter, you cant sign a guy who never made it to market.

I said in my first post to your comments that I believe he was aloud to talk to other teams before July 13th. I could be wrong on that but I believe that to be true.

If he liked what he was hearing from those talks, he would have 100% made it to market. If I were GM I would have made a very enticing offer for him to in fact go to market.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 3:20 p.m.
      I said in my first post to your comments that I believe he was aloud to talk to other teams before July 13th. I could be wrong on that but I believe that to be true.

If he liked what he was hearing from those talks, he would have 100% made it to market. If I were GM I would have made a very enticing offer for him to in fact go to market.

He never made it to market my man, it doesnt matter. he wanted to stay in Edmonton, he wanted to play with McDavid.
      It's a non starter, you cant sign a guy who never made it to free agency who wanted to stay in Edmonton to play with McDavid. Full stop
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
      I'd think Canucks accept that, at this point.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 5:56 p.m.
      Quoting: Turkish_Canuck
      I'd think Canucks accept that, at this point.

You may have given up on this season, but the Canucks haven't.
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 7:50 p.m.
      Quoting: audiodave
      You may have given up on this season, but the Canucks haven't.

To me it's more about management realising they've made an error signing Miller over Bo in the summer
      Nov. 5, 2022 at 9:27 p.m.
      Quoting: Turkish_Canuck
      To me it's more about management realising they've made an error signing Miller over Bo in the summer

There's no reason they can't sign Horvat as well, he's not a free agent until July 1st.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll