$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 14, 2022 at 12:26 p.m.
No problem with your targets. But I don't think either offer is enough to get them.

Soucy might be closer in terms of value, but with retention I imagine it's more still.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 12:28 p.m.
Comtois isn't a guy that the Leafs can afford trading assets for unless he's coming at a 4th or something like that. If he for some reason goes untendered next year, then he's someone that they and other teams would try to sign as a FA. Verbeek probably waits for someone to overpay and I think he would keep him around until then or he flourishes or busts.

Seattle probably would want a better prospect or a 1st instead. They are in a playoff spot and their team is already filled with 2nd and 3rd line players, SDA is probably not going to amount to more than a top 9 player.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 12:31 p.m.
mokumboi
Ehh that does not get you Soucy. Yeesh.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 12:36 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Ehh that does not get you Soucy. Yeesh.

People think he's getting a first??
Dec. 14, 2022 at 12:37 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: GMBL
Comtois isn't a guy that the Leafs can afford trading assets for unless he's coming at a 4th or something like that. If he for some reason goes untendered next year, then he's someone that they and other teams would try to sign as a FA. Verbeek probably waits for someone to overpay and I think he would keep him around until then or he flourishes or busts.

Seattle probably would want a better prospect or a 1st instead. They are in a playoff spot and their team is already filled with 2nd and 3rd line players, SDA is probably not going to amount to more than a top 9 player.

I *Hope* Verbeek doesn't do anything wild like non-tender Comtois. Eakins usage with him isn't conducive to putting up offence unfortunately. I would hope that, with a new coach next year (!!!), and Bedard playing with McTavish (please...), that they'd add a couple of good players, and that he'd end up playing in a more offensive role on the 2nd or 3rd line (or hell, put him with Z and Terry like it should have been all along!)
GMBL, OldNYIfan and TZ11 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: LukaTAG

I can't imagine them moving him unless they fall off a cliff over the next month or two and are out of the playoff race.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 12:46 p.m.

They are in the playoff race, so no point in trading him unless they are getting an upgrade elsewhere or getting something substantial out of him. Doesn't necessarily have to be a 1st but just a 2nd and a decent prospect is probably not enough.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
mokumboi
Edited Dec. 14, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.

No idea where you think I said that, but a 1st is a way more likely than a 35 yo who has already been a depth defenseman for five years, a 2nd pushed off two drafts and a B- prospect who is about to be too old to call a prospect. Soucy is a very solid player and you want a team high in the standings to come off him WITH retention for a bag of meh. That offer doesn't even start the conversation, man.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 1:01 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
I *Hope* Verbeek doesn't do anything wild like non-tender Comtois. Eakins usage with him isn't conducive to putting up offence unfortunately. I would hope that, with a new coach next year (!!!), and Bedard playing with McTavish (please...), that they'd add a couple of good players, and that he'd end up playing in a more offensive role on the 2nd or 3rd line (or hell, put him with Z and Terry like it should have been all along!)

It could be a mutual agreement that it's best for the team and Comtois to part ways. Verbeek might determine that there's no space for him especially since they may get multiple 1st-round talent in the upcoming draft. They already have their 1st and three 2nds, sure Boston and Colorado are probably going to end up having late 2nds but maybe some of the 1st round talent guys who are expected to go in the early parts of the 2nd round drop. Then there's Klingberg who might get them another 1st or a prospect that is close to being NHL ready.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Lenny7
It could be a mutual agreement that it's best for the team and Comtois to part ways. Verbeek might determine that there's no space for him especially since they may get multiple 1st-round talent in the upcoming draft. They already have their 1st and three 2nds, sure Boston and Colorado are probably going to end up having late 2nds but maybe some of the 1st round talent guys who are expected to go in the early parts of the 2nd round drop. Then there's Klingberg who might get them another 1st or a prospect that is close to being NHL ready.

I'd honestly be shocked to see more than Bedard/Fantilli from this draft (maybe Carlsson, but I personally feel like he's overhyped...) making the immediate leap to full time NHLer next year. Michkov is good enough, but it'll be 2026 at the earliest before he's over here.

I don't know...maybe I'm completely off the rails and overthinking it. If they were looking to potentially move him, I'd probably be playing him in the top 6 to boost his value.
OldNYIfan and TZ11 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
I'd honestly be shocked to see more than Bedard/Fantilli from this draft (maybe Carlsson, but I personally feel like he's overhyped...) making the immediate leap to full time NHLer next year. Michkov is good enough, but it'll be 2026 at the earliest before he's over here.

I don't know...maybe I'm completely off the rails and overthinking it. If they were looking to potentially move him, I'd probably be playing him in the top 6 to boost his value.

I don't think they will land another guy that will immediately hop, but could be a year away. I'm assuming there will be guys in the system already that could make a push next year and that they will add a depth piece or two via FA on a 1-year deal or a reclamation project like Gurianov instead of resigning Comtois to a 1-year deal.
Lenny7 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 1:18 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
It's a principal of asset management in every field (not just hockey) that you don't sell low. Comtois is at the low point of his career. It would be a mistake to give up on him now.
mokumboi, dannibalcorpse and TZ11 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
Lenny7
I don't think they will land another guy that will immediately hop, but could be a year away. I'm assuming there will be guys in the system already that could make a push next year and that they will add a depth piece or two via FA on a 1-year deal or a reclamation project like Gurianov instead of resigning Comtois to a 1-year deal.

I'd like to see them add a Klingberg replacement as a UFA...someone like Zub? Give Drysdale a guy that can play defensively in front of him. Let Mintyukov play 9 games next year to see what he's got, give Zellweger the chance to take a spot...or, if there's a big name with term out there, do it. I'd just like to see an entertaining squad on the ice that can build toward something.
GMBL, GiggywithGibby and OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Edited Dec. 14, 2022 at 2:02 p.m.
I'd like to see them add a Klingberg replacement as a UFA...someone like Zub? Give Drysdale a guy that can play defensively in front of him. Let Mintyukov play 9 games next year to see what he's got, give Zellweger the chance to take a spot...or, if there's a big name with term out there, do it. I'd just like to see an entertaining squad on the ice that can build toward something.

I like Zub as a partner for Fowler. I like Graves as a partner for Drysdale. Vaakainen and Helleson as bottom pair, Benoit as 7th man, and Rookies get a cup of coffee during injury call ups.

Fowler is faltering under his workload, we need to lighten that up, and Drysdale needs a defensive stalwart to learn from and let him do his thing.
Lenny7, GMBL and OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Edited Dec. 14, 2022 at 2:23 p.m.

Its a possibility, but I think the belief that Comtois is having another off year is blown out of proportion. He is 5th on the team in goals with less games played and less TOI than all the guys ahead of him. He has the same G/60 as Troy Terry does this season, and is on a personal best for that category. His Relative Corsi for is positive, and he is getting more defensive zone starts than O zone this season. Using Frank Vatrano as a benchmark, Comtois is outplaying him across the board when adjusting for TOI differences, including pts/60.

If a Frank Vatrano type career is Comtois long term outlook, I'm happy to keep him around as a physical middle six guy with some scoring ability, and I wouldn't consider that to be a failure.
GMBL and OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 2:28 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Its a possibility, but I think the belief that Comtois is having another off year is blown out of proportion. He is 5th on the team in goals with less games played and less TOI than all the guys ahead of him. He has the same G/60 as Troy Terry does this season, and is on a personal best for that category. His Relative Corsi for is positive, and he is getting more defensive zone starts than O zone this season. Using Frank Vatrano as a benchmark, Comtois is outplaying him across the board when adjusting for TOI differences.

If a Frank Vatrano type career is Comtois long term outlook, I'm happy to keep him around as a physical middle six guy with some scoring ability, and I wouldn't consider that to be a failure.

Yeah, I don't see Comtois going anywhere for now if it's not a swap for a guy like Puljujarvi who does/did have some good defensive metrics but is struggling offensively. Whether or not he goes untendered would depend on if they think there's a spot for him or not, the contract situation, etc.... Honestly, there's probably a real chance that he doesn't get qualified if they don't agree to an extension beforehand but they might just sign him a ufa to a reduced salary.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Yeah, I don't see Comtois going anywhere for now if it's not a swap for a guy like Puljujarvi who does/did have some good defensive metrics but is struggling offensively. Whether or not he goes untendered would depend on if they think there's a spot for him or not, the contract situation, etc.... Honestly, there's probably a real chance that he doesn't get qualified if they don't agree to an extension beforehand but they might just sign him a ufa to a reduced salary.

I don't think 2.45 AAV is breaking the bank, we're certainly not short on cash for the next few seasons, but we will see in the off season. Verbeek likes bigger grittier guys, I think he sticks around.
GMBL, OldNYIfan and TZ11 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 3:55 p.m.
That trade stinks for the Leafs. Comtois is overrated, and Robertson has way more potential than Comtois does.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 8:17 a.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
I like Zub as a partner for Fowler. I like Graves as a partner for Drysdale. Vaakainen and Helleson as bottom pair, Benoit as 7th man, and Rookies get a cup of coffee during injury call ups.

Fowler is faltering under his workload, we need to lighten that up, and Drysdale needs a defensive stalwart to learn from and let him do his thing.

Yeah, Fowler is a 2nd pairing guy in an ideal world. Unfortunately, we'll have to watch guys continue to be put in spots that they're not comfortable/qualified for, at least until the end of this year.
TZ11 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 1:54 p.m.

Totally agree. I do think Bedard would possibly play with Zegras on his Wing instead of McTavish, so that the Ducks have a bigger, more two-way oriented C in the Top 6. But who knows Zegras might just develop really well defensively and be just that.

I'd just like to see an entertaining squad on the ice that can build toward something.

Same, I'm "fine" with losing games this year but I'd like the young players to develop and play well (and be put in situations in which they can actually play really good Hockey). Ideally it's similar to St. Louis in Montreal last year as in the team still finishes last but the young players play really well because their coach trusts them and plays them properly.
Lenny7 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: TZ11
Totally agree. I do think Bedard would possibly play with Zegras on his Wing instead of McTavish, so that the Ducks have a bigger, more two-way oriented C in the Top 6. But who knows Zegras might just develop really well defensively and be just that.

Same, I'm "fine" with losing games this year but I'd like the young players to develop and play well (and be put in situations in which they can actually play really good Hockey). Ideally it's similar to St. Louis in Montreal last year as in the team still finishes last but the young players play really well because their coach trusts them and plays them properly.

I'm a bit hesistant to hope for a Marty St. Louis type coach...the run and gun offence is fun to watch, but it'd just be another year of Gibby getting shelled. I'm still thinking the Trotz train is probably the best option, TBH...I think he does really well creating structure, which is something this team has been desperately missing since (shoot me for saying this...) Randy Carlyle. Carlyle obviously sucked all of the offence out of the team, but at least we'd see some semblance of defence (when they were healthy...). Trotz in NY (and Washington) did the best he could with what he was given. The unfortunate bi-product in Long Island was that it absolutely sapped the offence out of Barzal, but that team, even last year, played excellent team defence, which I think it's the foundation of what this team needs to build on.
OldNYIfan and TZ11 liked this.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 2:12 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: capsleafs447
That trade stinks for the Leafs. Comtois is overrated, and Robertson has way more potential than Comtois does.

HILARIOUS take!!

Robertson has 3 goals in his 31-game NHL career. Comtois has 5 goals in 19 games THIS SEASON. And having already been his team's top goal scorer once before, we have a pretty good idea of what Comtois can do. Robertson hasn't shown that he's even an NHLer yet.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 8:41 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
HILARIOUS take!!

Robertson has 3 goals in his 31-game NHL career. Comtois has 5 goals in 19 games THIS SEASON. And having already been his team's top goal scorer once before, we have a pretty good idea of what Comtois can do. Robertson hasn't shown that he's even an NHLer yet.

Comtois is older. Robertson is still a prospect. Plus, Comtois is getting wayyy more minutes than Robertson is. Robertson plays with more skill than Comtois does, he just needs more time to develop. Comtois is better now but Robertson has more potential. I overreacted, though, the trade doesn't stink. Comtois is better right now so that trade isn't that unrealistic.
Dec. 16, 2022 at 1:37 a.m.
I'm a bit hesistant to hope for a Marty St. Louis type coach...the run and gun offence is fun to watch, but it'd just be another year of Gibby getting shelled. I'm still thinking the Trotz train is probably the best option, TBH...I think he does really well creating structure, which is something this team has been desperately missing since (shoot me for saying this...) Randy Carlyle. Carlyle obviously sucked all of the offence out of the team, but at least we'd see some semblance of defence (when they were healthy...). Trotz in NY (and Washington) did the best he could with what he was given. The unfortunate bi-product in Long Island was that it absolutely sapped the offence out of Barzal, but that team, even last year, played excellent team defence, which I think it's the foundation of what this team needs to build on.

Yeah, with St. Louis type coach I meant how he works with young players, etc., not his coaching style for the whole team. While Trotz would be great as a HC, I'm not sure he's the best fit for the Ducks. Obviously team defense would likely be great but, as you said, he could have a negative impact on the offensive development of McTavish, Zegras, etc. But I agree that this team needs defensive first and I think especially Drysdale and Zellweger (hopefully next year) could really benefit from him as a coach, also considering they're smaller than others. Another coach that could work until at least the end of the season would be Seth Appert imo. Not sure I'd want him long-term, but I think he'd work well for the now.
Lenny7 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll