Forums/Armchair-GM

Searching the sands for loose gems

Created by: Spyeye
Team: 2022-23 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 14, 2022
Published: Dec. 14, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Can't go large. JPG for Girard makes sense. Islanders aren't going to make it if they don't get more puck movers at the point to get the scorers the puck and JT isn't doing the job. Love G but it makes sense to me. Maybe we have to move more but Barbie gets us bigger and we need to be bigger to stop hits on Mac and the forwards. McD, Landy being gone left us vulnerable. Fixed at a reasonable rate.
Trades
COL
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (WSH)
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (FLA)
ARI
  1. Compher, J.T.
  2. 2024 4th round pick (COL)
SJS
  1. Hunt, Dryden
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (FLA)
CHI
  1. 2023 5th round pick (COL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$79,752,500$25,000$3,350,000$2,747,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$908,333$908,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 1
$987,500$987,500
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 14, 2022 at 11:05 p.m.
this makes 0 sense

Pageau is not a 2C, so you trade away Girard and an good prospect in Foudy for a the same player as JT Compher but older and more expensive, just to turn around and trade way JT Compher?

So all that just to get stuck with the older vs of the same player they already have currently?
TJTwolf and Xqb15a liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 11:05 p.m.
we miss leo k
That's $48M tied up in 8 forwards next year if you turn Girard into JGP, with only 3 NHL-caliber D under contract and Byram needing a new deal. I think the value is favorable for the Islanders; I think that it would make more sense for the Avalanche to wait for some health to come back into the lineup before making a move like this.
Xqb15a liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 11:28 p.m.
San Jose asks for more for Barabanov with how he has played and his cap hit being low
jakeoettinger liked this.
Dec. 14, 2022 at 11:40 p.m.
Can’t see the Avs moving Compher and the Coyotes definitely have no use for him.

Not sure on Barabanov. Seems reasonable but idk enough about his value. Dryden Hunt is useless.

Avs decline the Pageau trade. Same cap hit as Girard, but signed into his mid 30s. Would argue that Girard’s value is higher (age, positionally, etc). If this trade happened, the Avs wouldn’t be adding. Foudy is a very interesting prospect.

I don’t really care about the Jack Johnson trade but hey whatever works. Probably would want to use a 2024 or 2025 pick so the Avs can get a warm body in their system lol.
TJTwolf and Xqb15a liked this.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 12:00 a.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
That's $48M tied up in 8 forwards next year if you turn Girard into JGP, with only 3 NHL-caliber D under contract and Byram needing a new deal. I think the value is favorable for the Islanders; I think that it would make more sense for the Avalanche to wait for some health to come back into the lineup before making a move like this.

I could c Colorado doing this if you sent Salo/Aho back. I’m not saying I’d recommend it, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility imo.

Quoting: coga16
this makes 0 sense

Pageau is not a 2C, so you trade away Girard and an good prospect in Foudy for a the same player as JT Compher but older and more expensive, just to turn around and trade way JT Compher?

So all that just to get stuck with the older vs of the same player they already have currently?

You really can’t compare Pageau to Compher in any meaningful way. You can’t win if you don’t possess the puck, and JGP wins a crazy number of face offs which is important on a team like the Isles who have terrible ****ing wingers. I’m not saying he’s the ideal second line center, but I’ve seen playoff teams role out worse guys than Pageau on line 2. Former islander and rangers center man Ryan Strome comes to mind lol.

Quoting: turtlemountain
Can’t see the Avs moving Compher and the Coyotes definitely have no use for him.

Not sure on Barabanov. Seems reasonable but idk enough about his value. Dryden Hunt is useless.

Avs decline the Pageau trade. Same cap hit as Girard, but signed into his mid 30s. Would argue that Girard’s value is higher (age, positionally, etc). If this trade happened, the Avs wouldn’t be adding. Foudy is a very interesting prospect.

I don’t really care about the Jack Johnson trade but hey whatever works. Probably would want to use a 2024 or 2025 pick so the Avs can get a warm body in their system lol.

I don’t think the Avs r in a position to trade Girard, and I don’t think the isles can trade Pageau given the value he brings at the face off dot.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 1:18 a.m.
Quoting: Isles5513
I could c Colorado doing this if you sent Salo/Aho back. I’m not saying I’d recommend it, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility imo.

You really can’t compare Pageau to Compher in any meaningful way. You can’t win if you don’t possess the puck, and JGP wins a crazy number of face offs which is important on a team like the Isles who have terrible ****ing wingers. I’m not saying he’s the ideal second line center, but I’ve seen playoff teams role out worse guys than Pageau on line 2. Former islander and rangers center man Ryan Strome comes to mind lol.

I don’t think the Avs r in a position to trade Girard, and I don’t think the isles can trade Pageau given the value he brings at the face off dot.

You can't win if you don't possess the puck? Sure but if you're using that angle to illustrate how much more valuable JGP is then it might be worth looking at how little face off wins affected a certain team last year........just saying!
Dec. 15, 2022 at 1:20 a.m.
JJ is worth a 7th at best for D depth. JGP isn't worth Girard on his own let alone adding Foudy. ARZ don't need JTC and the Avs most certainly do. The Barabanov trade is pretty fair.
Xqb15a liked this.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 9:07 a.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: TJTwolf
You can't win if you don't possess the puck? Sure but if you're using that angle to illustrate how much more valuable JGP is then it might be worth looking at how little face off wins affected a certain team last year........just saying!

Well Colorado was such an elite forechecking/back checking team that they were able to gain possession rather quickly after losing a face off. Like I said below tho.

You can’t win if you don’t possess the puck, and JGP wins a crazy number of face offs. That is important on a team like the Isles who have terrible ****ing wingers.

All I’m saying is that it’s a useful skill to have, and it does impact games. That being said the islanders can’t really afford to lose it cause they can’t win puck battles lmao.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 9:55 a.m.
Representing the 505

FO% is overrated and winning a FO does not mean your team has possession for any significant period of time; lots of stuff happens after the FO and most are not cleanly won. It's not a completely useless stat but it isn't nearly as important as some people suggest. Case in point: the Avs were a very mediocre (maybe even not good) FO team last season yet ended up with some sort of dish or mug or something at the end of the season.
TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 9:59 a.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: NMAvsFan
FO% is overrated and winning a FO does not mean your team has possession for any significant period of time; lots of stuff happens after the FO and most are not cleanly won. It's not a completely useless stat but it isn't nearly as important as some people suggest. Case in point: the Avs were a very mediocre (maybe even not good) FO team last season yet ended up with some sort of dish or mug or something at the end of the season.

The Avs got away with it cause they had got elite forechecking and backchecking from their forward core. The isles do not have the same caliber of wings the Avs did last year or this year for that matter.

Pageau and Parise do an excellent job driving possession on that third line because of the fact that A) JGP wins faceoffs, and B) they are relentless on the puck. I’m not saying faceoffs r the most important stat of all time, but the isles wings r brutal which makes it way more important to them than it would be to other teams.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 10:03 a.m.
Well Colorado was such an elite forechecking/back checking team that they were able to gain possession rather quickly after losing a face off. Like I said below tho.

You can’t win if you don’t possess the puck, and JGP wins a crazy number of face offs. That is important on a team like the Isles who have terrible ****ing wingers.

All I’m saying is that it’s a useful skill to have, and it does impact games. That being said the islanders can’t really afford to lose it cause they can’t win puck battles lmao.

Until they keep situational FO% it’s a useless stat. In 16-17 COL led the league and finished a full season with 48pts. Last year 26th. And for the Avs gaining possession of the puck in their own end and breaking out fast, something Girard is very good at, is significantly more important than winning face offs. Look at when COL has struggled the last few years, it’s when their defense has struggled in their own end to retrieve the puck and get it moving in transition.
TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 10:04 a.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: Xqb15a
Until they keep situational FO% it’s a useless stat. In 16-17 COL led the league and finished a full season with 48pts. Last year 26th. And for the Avs gaining possession of the puck in their own end and breaking out fast, something Girard is very good at, is significantly more important than winning face offs. Look at when COL has struggled the last few years, it’s when their defense has struggled in their own end to retrieve the puck and get it moving in transition.

I 110% agree with everything ur saying. All I mean is that somehow the isles r getting ok value out of this d core rn, but their wingers r absolute trash which makes face offs more important to them imo.
Xqb15a liked this.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 10:10 a.m.
Quoting: turtlemountain

Barabanov is on a nice contract and has 19P in 26GP, so really would be a Avs fleece on that trade for essentially nothing
Not_Isles5513 liked this.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 1:00 p.m.
I 110% agree with everything ur saying. All I mean is that somehow the isles r getting ok value out of this d core rn, but their wingers r absolute trash which makes face offs more important to them imo.

And that’s fair but that’s not how COL skins their rabbit and let’s be honest a 24yr old top 4 pairing dman is worth more than a $5M 30yr old tweener 2/3C, especially to COL who relies heavily on their transition and breakout play.
TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 15, 2022 at 1:48 p.m.
All, I get all of your takes on this post. I think these trades are desperation. My fear is the Avs are so banged up from the Cup run that they aren't telling the truth about injuries. The AVs don't want to give up a player like JT and Girard but they are in desparate need of Faceoff wins(JPG), Size(barb), Scoring. If Bo and Landy are on the shelf until the playoffs they have to make moves. JT at 3.5 isn't performing again. Girard is a nice to have but at 5 mil we already have D that can move pucks in Teows and Makar. We need scoring and Barb and JPG can help. If you shoot it down becuase JPG may not be a Center he can play wing for Newie. We need people who can put in pucks. The Avs are running out of people to try. We could be on the outside looking in this year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll