Created by: goodjobbjs
Team: 2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 21, 2022
Published: Dec. 21, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not setting the lineup so ignore that

Item 1: Gavrikov
I think priority 1 should be an extension. Gavrikov has taken Chinakhov, Marchenko and Tarasov under his wing and I think this could be important to their long term success as pros here in the US. Malkin had Gonchar. Datsyuk had Larionov. Ovechkin had Zubrus. These guys need Gavrikov. They're always spotted in a group cruising around Columbus. Side note: A family friend lived on the same floor as Gavi in his condo complex downtown and they'd walk dogs often. Gavi and his wife both love Columbus and cited how they're not big city people. They appreciate Columbus for what it is. I would hate to take away the team dad and ot hero..... however there's a real chance he is the top deadline acquisition at D.

If no extension in place he goes to the highest bidder. I think Edmonton would make sense there

Item 2 Nyquist:
Same situation with Gavrikov, great guy. I'd rather have Nyquist than Robinson in the middle 6. I could see an extension happening at a lower number but if not extension he goes to the highest bidder. I think 3 x 3 would make sense if he sticks around.

Item 3: Bemstrom
I want to bring him up because he should be instantly claimed at this point. If he's brought up and sent down somebody is going to jump, he's to productive in the AHL to not take a flyer. With Chinakhov maybe missing the entire season I think giving him a shot on a scoring line and some pp time would make sense. He could just dominate in the AHL for the whole year or he could be flipped for another struggling player. All options are good. Safe to say I don't think he comes up unless the plan is to finish the season here.

Item 4: Starting Goalie
I think Tarasov is "that guy". He's got a great cap hit the next 3 years. Who cares if Elvis becomes an overpaid backup for the next 3 years. There's only 6.5 million being spent on the goalies. That seems reasonable. Nobody will take that contract right now so hopefully Elvis can turn it around. Korpi is out after this season, I could see him being traded for a 7th round pick or 6th to a team looking to keep a decent 3rd goalie. Just like how the jackets brought in Keith Kinkaid a few years back.

Item 5: Larsen
I don't think anything happens until the off-season. I honestly believe that he will get another shot because of all these injuries.

Item 6: Jiricek
He might get a look for a few games on the top d pair but I don't expect him to play more than a handful of games until next season

Item 7: Voracek
Any big moves are going to depend on his status. If he's on LTIR for the next 2 years Jarmo could weaponize cap for picks. I don't think any big trades involving futures would happen until the draft/offseason but who knows. Maybe another FA, time will tell. That being said I hope he's healthy I love Jake

*EDIT* When talking about weaponizing cap I was referring to helping rentals get from point A to point B. Like Maybe eat part of Kane's hit this year for a later pick to get a deal across the line. Nothing long term.

Lastly, I don't want to look any further into the future than this. A couple wins could be the difference between a franchise altering player and a pretty good prospect. Could pick first could pick 8th. This team is going to struggle until people get healthy. The future is bright but this season is a wash already. I wish for entertaining high scoring games and regulation losses

Let's see how things shake out after the deadline
Trades
CBJ
  1. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Maybe work Pulj in here? Wonder if Jarmo would have any interest.
CBJ
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
Value could go up or down a bit
NJD
  1. Nyquist, Gustav
Additional Details:
Depending on the team maybe retention
DET
  1. Bemström, Emil
Additional Details:
Wonder if Jarmo would consider doing a swap with another struggling youngster. Bemstrom seems too good for the AHL but so bad in the NHL.
CBJ
    Whoever is willing to part with a 6th or a 7th
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$82,500,000$64,549,125$0$2,900,000$17,950,875
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    $9,750,000$9,750,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C, RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C
    RFA - 2
    $874,125$874,125
    C
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $1,825,000$1,825,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    G
    RFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $787,500$787,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $8,250,000$8,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $9,583,333$9,583,333
    LD
    UFA - 6
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $2,333,333$2,333,333
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $1,525,000$1,525,000
    LW, C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $975,000$975,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$700,000$700K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    $825,000$825,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:46 p.m.
    PlusMinus is stupid
    I personally think Zadina needs a change of scenery trade for his own good, but this definitely isn't it. Zadina is 100% an NHL'er, albeit maybe not a top 3 guy like originally hoped, Bemstrom looks like a career AHLer.

As for Korpisalo, no one is trading anything for him, he's been really, really bad.
    csick and Redstinger liked this.
    Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:47 p.m.
    Yegor bomb
    For Item 7, I do not see us "weaponizing" cap space for picks, we are now in win now mode after this season. Any picks we would get for 2024 or 2025 would miss our window IMO.

I agree with everything else. Gus and Gavi love Columbus and I really hope they are with this team after this season. Maybe we trade them and then hope they comeback in FA.
    aedoran liked this.
    Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
    Nah.
    Pretty spot-on, yeah.

Gus is going to be interesting. Locker room loves him, he's said he's going to live in Cbus when he is done playing; but, it's also been interesting to see him getting put higher in the lineup. Maybe padding his numbers a bit? if someone is willing to give a 2nd/ 2nd+, I move him. If he's only getting calls for mid-rounders, pass.

It's an intriguing move for Bemstrom. If Zadina wasn't making double what his value is right now, I'd be down for an old-fashioned Change-Of-Scenery move, but as is, I don't want to gamble on Zadina at that cap hit.
    Viqsi liked this.
    Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
    Yegor bomb
    Quoting: DeadWingsv2
    I personally think Zadina needs a change of scenery trade for his own good, but this definitely isn't it. Zadina is 100% an NHL'er, albeit maybe not a top 3 guy like originally hoped, Bemstrom looks like a career AHLer.

As for Korpisalo, no one is trading anything for him, he's been really, really bad.

Korpi has been better in his limited starts this season. A team would definitely trade a 6th or 7th for goalie depth going into the playoffs, especially for one who has proven himself in the playoffs
    Dec. 21, 2022 at 1:06 p.m.
    PlusMinus is stupid
    Quoting: Civil_Eng_PE
    Korpi has been better in his limited starts this season. A team would definitely trade a 6th or 7th for goalie depth going into the playoffs, especially for one who has proven himself in the playoffs

2 good series, 3 years ago, is hardly a proven track record, that's just a heater...
    Dec. 21, 2022 at 1:13 p.m.
    Nobody wanted Bemström when he was waived so you're not getting Zadina for him. I would offer McIsaac straight up if you need a waiver exempt LD.
    Dec. 21, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
    For Item 7, I do not see us "weaponizing" cap space for picks, we are now in win now mode after this season. Any picks we would get for 2024 or 2025 would miss our window IMO.

I agree with everything else. Gus and Gavi love Columbus and I really hope they are with this team after this season. Maybe we trade them and then hope they comeback in FA.

I do agree that you shouldn't be weaponizing cap space this season and I'm not sure any big changes are needed. This season ended up this way because of chemistry followed by injury. You throw in a player like Gaudreau and it's going to take time for displaced players to find their new role and then Werenski Columbus's best player get hurt. Look at Ottawa they were struggling until recently with the changes they made and both Calgary and Florida still don't have things all worked out.

I think Zadina does need a change of scenery but I'm not sure Yzerman is there yet. Simply because he just resigned Zadina to a 3 year deal. A contender would probably bring the best return for Zadina because they would be willing to give up what Detroit would be looking for a good prospect or a decent draft pick for a player they can plug in right now. Where a team willing to take on 2 more years of Zadina is going to want to trade another struggling prospect which more likely than not leaves you in the same situation with a different player.
    Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
    Dec. 21, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.

I agree with everything else. Gus and Gavi love Columbus and I really hope they are with this team after this season. Maybe we trade them and then hope they comeback in FA.[/quote]

Quoting: aedoran
    I do agree that you shouldn't be weaponizing cap space this season and I'm not sure any big changes are needed. This season ended up this way because of chemistry followed by injury. You throw in a player like Gaudreau and it's going to take time for displaced players to find their new role and then Werenski Columbus's best player get hurt. Look at Ottawa they were struggling until recently with the changes they made and both Calgary and Florida still don't have things all worked out.

When weaponizing cap I was more-so thinking about the Jackets acting as a team that would help hold back cap on rentals. For example, maybe Patrick Kane get's moved and the jackets take a quarter of it or half of it. Something like that. Nothing long term like what Arizona has done
    Dec. 21, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.
    If the Devils were going to add, Nyquist wouldn't be where I would go unless he was really cheap and the Devils were just looking at depth.
    goodjobbjs liked this.
    Dec. 21, 2022 at 4:40 p.m.
    Zadina is worth more that that. He was still playing good defensive hockey with good underlying numbers.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll