Forums/Armchair-GM

If I was Benning

Created by: qc14
Team: 2023-24 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 16, 2023
Published: Jan. 16, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
From the perspective of someone who isn't a fan. Tried to keep it reasonable enough to where I could see them making all of these moves, and undervalued the returns on purpose -- better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. This team is not very good, but gets enough futures to hopefully turn the corner and gains the cap flexibility it desperately needs to resign Pettersson. This plan also hinges on tanking hard this year to get at the least a top 7 pick in 23.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
3$3,000,000
2$2,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,500,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Odelius, Calle
  2. Wahlstrom, Oliver [RFA Rights]
  3. 2023 1st round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
Whatever expiring salary filler NYI needs to make it work
Top 15 protected on 1st -- then bumps back to 24

Really hard to find a fit for Horvat IMO, but he has to be traded. Islanders will have the space to sign him to an extension, need elite talent at forward, and Lou is never afraid to make big deals. Walhstrom is the type of older, stalled player VAN should be taking flyers on, Odelius is a good but not great D prospect, and a 23 first is a 23 first.
NYI
    Horvat 50% retained
    VAN
    1. 2023 2nd round pick (TOR)
    Additional Details:
    The Kraken make a smaller add to secure a playoff spot and could use some extra depth on D. They also have three 23 seconds. I think Schenn as an RD who is a well respected veteran that can play 4-5d minutes will get a second.
    SEA
      Schenn
      VAN
      1. Mukhamadullin, Shakir
      Additional Details:
      NJD needs another top winger, and have the space to sign the ~6m a year bridge I think Kuzmenko will be looking for. They are also stacked with D prospects so are fine with giving up Mukhamadullin, a RD VAN desperately needs.
      NJD
        Kuzmenko
        VAN
          Buffalo has the space and the need for a RD and a middle 6 veteran winger. Vancouver gives them up for free to get out of the cap and real dollar hits
          BUF
          1. Boeser, Brock
          2. Myers, Tyler ($3,000,000 retained)
          VAN
          1. Walker, Sean
          Additional Details:
          Has clearly fallen out of favor in LA who need to open up space at RD for their prospects
          LAK
          1. 2023 4th round pick (VAN)
          VAN
          1. Fabbro, Dante [RFA Rights]
          Additional Details:
          Two guys who drastically need a change of scenery. Add whatever late round picks you need to balance the trade out
          Retained Salary Transactions
          DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the NYI
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the NYR
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          Logo of the VAN
          ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
          23$83,500,000$74,065,417$850,000$1,250,000$9,434,583
          Left WingCentreRight Wing
          Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
          $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          RW, LW
          RFA - 1
          $7,350,000$7,350,000
          C, LW
          UFA - 1
          $4,750,000$4,750,000
          LW, RW
          M-NTC
          UFA - 3
          $8,000,000$8,000,000
          C, LW, RW
          NMC
          UFA - 7
          $3,000,000$3,000,000
          RW
          RFA - 1
          $1,500,000$1,500,000
          LW, RW
          RFA - 2
          $4,500,000$4,500,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 5
          $4,950,000$4,950,000
          RW, LW
          UFA - 3
          $825,000$825,000
          LW
          UFA - 1
          $762,500$762,500
          C
          UFA - 1
          $1,000,000$1,000,000
          RW, C
          UFA - 2
          $883,750$883,750
          C
          RFA - 1
          $762,500$762,500
          RW, C
          RFA - 1
          Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
          $7,850,000$7,850,000
          LD
          UFA - 4
          $3,000,000$3,000,000
          RD
          UFA - 2
          $5,000,000$5,000,000
          G
          UFA - 3
          $2,250,000$2,250,000
          LD
          UFA - 1
          $2,500,000$2,500,000
          RD
          UFA - 1
          $762,500$762,500
          G
          UFA - 1
          $1,350,000$1,350,000
          LD
          RFA - 1
          Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
          $2,650,000$2,650,000
          LD/RD
          UFA - 1
          $1,500,000$1,500,000
          LD/RD
          UFA - 1
          Logo of the New Jersey Devils
          $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
          LD
          RFA - 2
          ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
          $3,250,000$3,250,000
          LW
          UFA - 1
          $2,500,000$2,500,000
          RD
          UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
          • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
          Benning was fired over a year ago
          remowilliams and Nightowl26 liked this.
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 7:51 p.m.
          Sean Walker has not clearly fallen out of favor in LA. He's been solid since he came back from injury and has been very good over the past 2-3 weeks.

He's expendable because of the sheer number of NHL ready RHD that the Kings have, but that doesn't mean the Kings are going to give him away. If they learned anything from last year, it's that you need defensive depth in the playoffs to cover for injuries.
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 7:56 p.m.
          Future Norris guy
          Islanders have $11,000,000 to sign 6 players, So no they can't afford Bo Horvat who will want between $8,000,000 to $9,000,000 per. And no they're not giving up Wahlstrom for a rental.
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 7:58 p.m.
          Quoting: NHLfan10506

I can forgive him for not knowing, it’s basically the same exact management style anyways
          NHLfan10506, Newgod77 and Tintin liked this.
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 7:59 p.m.
          n.1 Topias Vilen fan
          Devils decline. Big rentals aren't on the table. If there was an extension in place, they'd accept easily.
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 8:00 p.m.
          I think Kuzmenko is going to cost a bit more than that for NJ to acquire him. I’d expect a prospect like Mook plus a 1st or maybe a conditional pick
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 8:07 p.m.
          Quoting: pretzelcoatl
          Devils decline. Big rentals aren't on the table. If there was an extension in place, they'd accept easily.

Quoting: Tbrew
          I think Kuzmenko is going to cost a bit more than that for NJ to acquire him. I’d expect a prospect like Mook plus a 1st or maybe a conditional pick

Mukhamadullin plus 1st is probably how much a guy like Meier costs. Similar to Fiala price.

Kuzmenko should be far cheaper.
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 8:11 p.m.
          we miss leo k
          -Isles shouldn't be giving up their 1st in this year's draft - they haven't made a 1st round pick since 2019 and there's really not a ton of talent in that system for one of the older teams in the league. Horvat doesn't turn them from the bubble team they currently are into a legit Cup contender, so sacrificing that pick, one of your better young forwards (looked to be trending better this year before getting hurt), and a solid B-tier D prospect (for what it's worth, Scott Wheeler had him 3rd overall and the top D in the Isles' system in his rankings the other day) is a big price to pay. Horvat is also going to be a tough fit on an extension for a team that has $11.2M in space next year but needs to sign an NHL-caliber backup goalie and an RHD to replace the 20 minutes a night they get from Scott Mayfield. If you assume that Horvat signs for about $9M, that's going to make it incredibly difficult to add those pieces.

-I like Schenn for Seattle, I think a 2nd's a little pricey for him but it's not outrageous. It's an interesting fit, I'd want them to wait til literally deadline day to make the deal to guarantee they're in solid playoff position before giving up the pick; as a team without a ton of depth, if I were Seattle I'd ask for whatever warm body you want to throw in with RFA rights to add a little AHL depth (talking Noah Juulsen or Guillaume Brisebois or someone like that who's not necessarily in your future plans.)

-I personally don't have a super high value on Kuzmenko - I just keep seeing that shooting percentage and I get worried that he's going to turn into a pumpkin soon. With that in mind, if I'm Tom Fitzgerald I'm pulling back Muk and offering Reilly Walsh instead - still a solid RHD prospect, and one who's closer to NHL ready, but who might not have the same ceiling. If you want a mid-rounder to make up the value difference, sure, take it - I think it'd be worth hedging that bet on Kuzmenko instead of giving up a recent 1st round RHD in Muk.

-I think Buffalo would pass on this - they've got a solid top 9 winger situation (Skinner/Tuch on line 1, Peterka/Quinn on line 2, Mittlestadt/Olofsson on line 3) so I don't know where Boeser and his $6.65M cap hit fit without moving someone out. And I don't want to speak for Buffalo fans, but I would think they've had their fill of Tyler Myers at this point.

-I think I would pick one or the other on these last two trades - see if LA takes Rathbone for Walker, or if Nashville would take him for Fabbro. I think either one is a pretty decent value, but I think doing both deals (in addition to whoever you got from NJ) is gonna cause a bit of pileup at RD now - you've got 4 RD2/3 types for three spots. I know there's value in depth, but I think at this point you're zeroing in on one lineup spot a little too much.
          Tintin, gretzkyghosts and qc14 liked this.
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 8:25 p.m.
          Mukhamadullin plus 1st is probably how much a guy like Meier costs. Similar to Fiala price.

Kuzmenko should be far cheaper.

Kuzmenko’s value is his cap hit. Theres an extreme premium for it
          And his underlyings have been very very good
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 8:26 p.m.
          Benning declines all deals lol.
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 8:45 p.m.
          Nightowl26
          No chance the isles touch this....We are not moving young players and picks.....Our 1st rounder is untradable
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.

lmao should have been rutherford ... was reading an article about the press conference comparing the two and totally confused myself
          Jan. 16, 2023 at 10:36 p.m.
          Quoting: dannibalcorpse
          -Isles shouldn't be giving up their 1st in this year's draft - they haven't made a 1st round pick since 2019 and there's really not a ton of talent in that system for one of the older teams in the league. Horvat doesn't turn them from the bubble team they currently are into a legit Cup contender, so sacrificing that pick, one of your better young forwards (looked to be trending better this year before getting hurt), and a solid B-tier D prospect (for what it's worth, Scott Wheeler had him 3rd overall and the top D in the Isles' system in his rankings the other day) is a big price to pay. Horvat is also going to be a tough fit on an extension for a team that has $11.2M in space next year but needs to sign an NHL-caliber backup goalie and an RHD to replace the 20 minutes a night they get from Scott Mayfield. If you assume that Horvat signs for about $9M, that's going to make it incredibly difficult to add those pieces.

-I like Schenn for Seattle, I think a 2nd's a little pricey for him but it's not outrageous. It's an interesting fit, I'd want them to wait til literally deadline day to make the deal to guarantee they're in solid playoff position before giving up the pick; as a team without a ton of depth, if I were Seattle I'd ask for whatever warm body you want to throw in with RFA rights to add a little AHL depth (talking Noah Juulsen or Guillaume Brisebois or someone like that who's not necessarily in your future plans.)

-I personally don't have a super high value on Kuzmenko - I just keep seeing that shooting percentage and I get worried that he's going to turn into a pumpkin soon. With that in mind, if I'm Tom Fitzgerald I'm pulling back Muk and offering Reilly Walsh instead - still a solid RHD prospect, and one who's closer to NHL ready, but who might not have the same ceiling. If you want a mid-rounder to make up the value difference, sure, take it - I think it'd be worth hedging that bet on Kuzmenko instead of giving up a recent 1st round RHD in Muk.

-I think Buffalo would pass on this - they've got a solid top 9 winger situation (Skinner/Tuch on line 1, Peterka/Quinn on line 2, Mittlestadt/Olofsson on line 3) so I don't know where Boeser and his $6.65M cap hit fit without moving someone out. And I don't want to speak for Buffalo fans, but I would think they've had their fill of Tyler Myers at this point.

-I think I would pick one or the other on these last two trades - see if LA takes Rathbone for Walker, or if Nashville would take him for Fabbro. I think either one is a pretty decent value, but I think doing both deals (in addition to whoever you got from NJ) is gonna cause a bit of pileup at RD now - you've got 4 RD2/3 types for three spots. I know there's value in depth, but I think at this point you're zeroing in on one lineup spot a little too much.

All very fair points. I really don't see any good fit for Horvat at all, any team that has the assets doesn't need a top 6 C or doesn't have the space to sign him long term -- don't think its great in Long Island but its not great anywhere. I definitely wouldn't pay a 2nd for Schenn but I've seen people like Serevalli and Friedman throw that out enough that I feel like thats the reputation he has around the league. Kuzmenko's shooting percentage is through the roof but he's got fine underlyings and NJ really needs finishing, and ppg players do go for firsts. As for Muk I feel like either he or as you say Walsh has to be moved -- Hamilton and Nemec are ahead of them on the depth chart and Severson could definitely come back. I see a Kuzmenko type guy as a second option for them if they miss/pull out on Meier. Completely forgot Myers was in Buffalo and agree they probably don't want him back. For Boeser though I don't think its likely but could definitely see them thinking they could use a veteran guy to help take that next step and take advantage of their cap space, sort of like Seattle with Bjorkstrand this summer -- that second year is a big problem though. Agree that you probably only do one of the last two trades, but also think that VAN just really needs to be taking as many chances on guys as they possibly can. Not all are going to work out, but the only way you can truly be competitive in the NHL is by finding diamonds in the rough either through the draft or FA, and VAN should cast as wide a net as possible.
          dannibalcorpse liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
          Question:
          Options:
          Add Option
          Submit Poll