Laughs

Created by: In_it_to_winnik
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 12, 2023
Published: Feb. 12, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is purely if LA gets Jakob Chychrun

Assuming they give up Clarke/Spence (top defensive prospects) a top forward prospect and a 1st which seems to be about what Arizona is looking for they will have far to many defensmen on the roster in particular right handed.

Right side doughty, Durzi, Roy, Walker, Spence, Clarke (1 of 2 probably gone)
It is definitely in the realm of possibility they flip a right side guy to both free up cap and a position slot. The 2 that come to kind are Roy and Walker. The more appealing of the 2 obviously being Roy. He has been healthy this year, can play mean and is under contract for a year after this. I'd consider him a slightly less good but right handed McCabe.

Considering Toronto and LA have a history making trades together and Torontos desire for defensive help they seem like natural trade partners. This trade would allow Toronto to have room to add a forward at the deadline.

Does this make sense? What kind of assets would a player like Roy return? 1st? 2nd+ prospect?
Trades
LAK
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$81,940,413$212,500$0$559,587
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
RFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$827,500$827,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$3,150,000$3,150,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$850,000$850,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:02 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I wonder if Kings would weaken their defence this season by trading any of their Dmen. Clarke and Spence aren't in the NHL now.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:03 a.m.
Rip
RD isn't really something TO needs
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
The Leafs have Brodie, Liljegren, Timmins and Holl on their right side already. Brodie and Liljegren aren't being scratched, and Timmins has been great (and we just extended him, so clearly committed)

I don't see the sense in giving up the assets it would take to get Roy, just play him on the third pairing.

The Leafs need to focus on adding two third liners to the roster. Their defense is strong enough the way it is.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:08 a.m.
All I hear from LA fans is that Roy isn't available and they want to get a guy that can play with him. So, I'm guessing it's Durzi or Walker who they would move, and it won't be the Leafs after them. MTL or OTT would be better trade partner.

If Roy is available I could see the Leafs being interested but only if the cost is relatively low, since as people already pointed out they have an excess of RD, and already have 7 D-men that they want, signed through next year.
tryger liked this.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:18 a.m.
I don’t see the Leafs making any kind of move for a RD at this point. They have a decent lineup on the right side, with depth already built in.

If they are making a move on the back end it is for a difference maker that would be a top 4 upgrade with term on the left side (Chychrun, McCabe, Ekholm)
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:23 a.m.
The whole point of getting Chychrun would be to have Roy play with him and put Durzi on the third line with Edler (if he’s not moved for Chychrun or that coveted LD2)

Walker is the odd man out and next season Edler is gone. The spots will come for our young players but not until the Kings maximize their return on existing players.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
I wonder if Kings would weaken their defence this season by trading any of their Dmen. Clarke and Spence aren't in the NHL now.

It's been reported that the kings are eager to bring Spence up. I just thought a top 4 of Chychrun Doughty, Anderson Durzi is great as they 3 of them are under 25. That leaves Roy, Edler, Walker, Spence and other to fill out the rest. So idk if weakening is the right word. Just developing the younger d. I believe LA has won of the best up and coming teams in the league, they just need goaltending.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:37 a.m.
Quoting: tryger
The whole point of getting Chychrun would be to have Roy play with him and put Durzi on the third line with Edler (if he’s not moved for Chychrun or that coveted LD2)

Walker is the odd man out and next season Edler is gone. The spots will come for our young players but not until the Kings maximize their return on existing players.

Agree Walker should be the odd man out, but I don't think he will be able to move with the extra year on the deal. Unless they add a pick and send him to Arizona or something like that
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:41 a.m.
Quoting: In_it_to_winnik
Agree Walker should be the odd man out, but I don't think he will be able to move with the extra year on the deal. Unless they add a pick and send him to Arizona or something like that

Walker wouldn’t clear waivers, not a cap dump. Guy tore his ACL and MCL, he is improving and has proven he can play top-4 minutes. Plenty of teams would take a chance on that for one season.

The point is, Roy and Anderson are shutdown D’s it only makes sense to pair them with Doughty and Chychrun. There is no other defensive dman ready to take on top-4 minutes. That is why Roy can’t be moved, unless they somehow get a shutdown D to replace him .
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:44 a.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
RD isn't really something TO needs

Why is that? This move pushes brodie to his natural side. That really helps their top 4. Roy can help Reilly and brodie could solidify a second pair. You have to look towards the playoffs and get a guy who can fill a muzzin type role. Unfortunately Sandin and Liljegren won't make it through teams like Tampa and Boston. Sandin in particular has really struggled in the playoffs and is the most sheltered player on the team. Roy pushing brodie to his natural side negates that potential issue. If you are in the camp of adding forward instead, then I see where you are coming from
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:47 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
All I hear from LA fans is that Roy isn't available and they want to get a guy that can play with him. So, I'm guessing it's Durzi or Walker who they would move, and it won't be the Leafs after them. MTL or OTT would be better trade partner.

If Roy is available I could see the Leafs being interested but only if the cost is relatively low, since as people already pointed out they have an excess of RD, and already have 7 D-men that they want, signed through next year.

Roy is a really solid player, maybe I'm just biased towards durzi because I really like him as a player. You could be right, I just think LA is in a unique position.
GMBL liked this.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:49 a.m.

I guess you're right, I just really like durzi and would prefer playing him in a top 4 role. LA just has so many good defenders that I'm curious who shakes loose
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:54 a.m.
I guess you're right, I just really like durzi and would prefer playing him in a top 4 role. LA just has so many good defenders that I'm curious who shakes loose

Durzi and Roy have actually been pretty bad defensively together. Providing Roy with Chychrun would improve
i defense and offense of the Kings, and the added bonus is if Durzi isn’t moved, you have three defensemen putting up top pair points metrics on each line. Not to mention Durzi playing against weaker competition. The Kings will move mountains to get Chychrun but it will be for futures is my guess.
McSorley liked this.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:55 a.m.
Quoting: Cor
The Leafs have Brodie, Liljegren, Timmins and Holl on their right side already. Brodie and Liljegren aren't being scratched, and Timmins has been great (and we just extended him, so clearly committed)

I don't see the sense in giving up the assets it would take to get Roy, just play him on the third pairing.

The Leafs need to focus on adding two third liners to the roster. Their defense is strong enough the way it is.

The idea is pushing brodie to his natural side giving them a better top 4. I wouldn't lump Timmins in that group for this season. I understand they gave him an extention but that's a long term play. I'm rooting for him since he hasn't really played in a number of seasons, but you cannot rely on him for the playoffs. Remember the playoffs are different sport. Look at a team like Colorado last season, strong defense but added Josh Manson. A guy that really helped them.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:56 a.m.
Quoting: jempey82
I don’t see the Leafs making any kind of move for a RD at this point. They have a decent lineup on the right side, with depth already built in.

If they are making a move on the back end it is for a difference maker that would be a top 4 upgrade with term on the left side (Chychrun, McCabe, Ekholm)

Agreed, but adding a RD to push brodie to the left has the same effect imo
Feb. 12, 2023 at 10:57 a.m.
Ever since Faber was traded, Roy as been 100% unavailable. He will most likely be extended to a Zub-like deal. Yes we have plenty of RD on the roster and in the pipeline, but none of which have the defensive capabilities that Roy has which is essential to the Kings having a Stanley Cup contending team. Walker, Durzi, Grans, and Spence will be traded before Roy and Clarke.
tryger liked this.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 11:01 a.m.
Durzi and Roy have actually been pretty bad defensively together. Providing Roy with Chychrun would improve
i defense and offense of the Kings, and the added bonus is if Durzi isn’t moved, you have three defensemen putting up top pair points metrics on each line. Not to mention Durzi playing against weaker competition. The Kings will move mountains to get Chychrun but it will be for futures is my guess.

That's partially the reason I thought Roy might move, just because I prefer durzi so have chychrun with durzi or doughty and Anderson with the other. It just feels like a waste for one of them to play bottom pair. I guess they could target a goalie with one. LA has so many assets it's crazy.
tryger liked this.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 11:03 a.m.
Agreed, but adding a RD to push brodie to the left has the same effect imo

Brodie has always been more comfortable on the right side and has played almost exclusively RD throughout his career.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 11:05 a.m.
That's partially the reason I thought Roy might move, just because I prefer durzi so have chychrun with durzi or doughty and Anderson with the other. It just feels like a waste for one of them to play bottom pair. I guess they could target a goalie with one. LA has so many assets it's crazy.

Durzi and Chychrun would be a mess together, both are too offensive minded to work. Can’t separate Doughty and Anderson, that pair is why Doughty is good again. If the Kings move Roy and get Chychrun, someone else needs to come to play shutdown RD. Clarke and Spence are coming, and they are projected to have higher ceilings than Durzi, oddly enough Durzi seems more movable to me than Roy as the roster stands.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 11:06 a.m.
Quoting: McSorley
Ever since Faber was traded, Roy as been 100% unavailable. He will most likely be extended to a Zub-like deal. Yes we have plenty of RD on the roster and in the pipeline, but none of which have the defensive capabilities that Roy has which is essential to the Kings having a Stanley Cup contending team. Walker, Durzi, Grans, and Spence will be traded before Roy and Clarke.

Zub is a decent comparable here. Honestly I didn't think they would prefer to give him up over the players you listed (other than walker) I'm very curious how things play out here. This is all assuming they get Chychrun which seems likely.
McSorley liked this.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.
Durzi and Chychrun would be a mess together, both are too offensive minded to work. Can’t separate Doughty and Anderson, that pair is why Doughty is good again. If the Kings move Roy and get Chychrun, someone else needs to come to play shutdown RD. Clarke and Spence are coming, and they are projected to have higher ceilings than Durzi, oddly enough Durzi seems more movable to me than Roy as the roster stands.

I would like to see Chychrun and durzi play purely for chaos. Funny that I listed 2 players that could be available for it to potentially be the guy I had in the top 4 (durzi). Always learn something on these boards from people that actually want to input rather than argue. Thanks for the input!
tryger liked this.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 11:14 a.m.
I would like to see Chychrun and durzi play purely for chaos. Funny that I listed 2 players that could be available for it to potentially be the guy I had in the top 4 (durzi). Always learn something on these boards from people that actually want to input rather than argue. Thanks for the input!

It 100% would be a power play unit, you’d see it. It would be like two guys being chased by bees in fast forward.
In_it_to_winnik liked this.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 11:42 a.m.
Rip
Why is that? This move pushes brodie to his natural side. That really helps their top 4. Roy can help Reilly and brodie could solidify a second pair. You have to look towards the playoffs and get a guy who can fill a muzzin type role. Unfortunately Sandin and Liljegren won't make it through teams like Tampa and Boston. Sandin in particular has really struggled in the playoffs and is the most sheltered player on the team. Roy pushing brodie to his natural side negates that potential issue. If you are in the camp of adding forward instead, then I see where you are coming from

This is definitely a used car salesmen attempt. Please tell me more about what you think we need. Liljegren has been great and he will be leaned on. Sandin is doing well as well. Roy isn't needed and Brodie is better on the right than the left.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
The Kings won't move Matt Roy. He's literally the only defensive RHD in the entire Kings organization.
Feb. 12, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
It's been reported that the kings are eager to bring Spence up. I just thought a top 4 of Chychrun Doughty, Anderson Durzi is great as they 3 of them are under 25. That leaves Roy, Edler, Walker, Spence and other to fill out the rest. So idk if weakening is the right word. Just developing the younger d. I believe LA has won of the best up and coming teams in the league, they just need goaltending.

Agree with about the Kings being a upcoming team.....in the East think the Devils, Wings and Sabres will be the next wave of good teams. Kings will be even better in 24/25 after they sign Matthews as a UFA.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll