SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(STL/MIN/TOR) - O'Reilly, Acciari for Pillar for Abramov, Gaudette, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 18, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: sensonfire
Minnesota gets:

25% of O'Reilly's salary and a 2025 4th round pick

for

A prospect that was recently drafted out of the 4th round

As a team strapped for cap space, the Minnesota Wild have absolutely no business being in this trade.

Toronto gets from St. Louis:

Ryan O'Reilly
Noel Acciari

St. Louis gets from Toronto:

Adam Gaudette
Mikhail Abramov
Unconditional 1st round pick in a deep draft with no lottery protection
2nd round pick
3rd round pick

Acciari is worth a 3rd round pick IMO.

So, it's Gaudette + Abramov + 1st + 2nd for O'Reilly

Ryan O'Reilly is a shell of his former himself.

Toronto is giving up a package that is way too close in value to what Vancouver got for Horvat or what St. Louis spent on O'Reilly back in 2018.

Minnesota and Toronto lose the trade while St. Louis wins the trade by a mile.

Not really, Vancouver got Beaullivier who's young and serviceable along with Raty who was NYI's best prospect and Toronto has a better chance of making the playoffs than NYI. A trade that would have been similar to the Horvat deal would be: 2023 first, Knies and Sandin (Knies is less valuable than Raty but Sandin is more valuable than Beau) and ST.Louis got nowhere near that. IMO, Accardi was worth the Second so in my eyes it's Gaudette (contract spot), Abramov (don't know the kid so no comment), 2023 1rst and 2023 Ott's 3rd (Thanks Matt Murray) for O'Rielly.

You also have to remember that O'Rielly had a broken foot that is now healed and will be playing against 3rd line guys which will help him stat wise.

The Leafs now become the most stacked team down the middle and if they land Chychrun (2024 1rst + Knies + Sandin + another B tier prospect) which would explain why O'Rielly needed 75% retained. They (obviously with biases) could be considered one of the teams most likely to win it all
sensonfire and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 9:52 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Minnesota gets:

for

As a team strapped for cap space, the Minnesota Wild have absolutely no business being in this trade.

Ryan O'Reilly
Noel Acciari

Adam Gaudette
Mikhail Abramov
2nd round pick
3rd round pick

Toronto is giving up a package that is way too close in value to what Vancouver got for Horvat or what St. Louis spent on O'Reilly back in 2018.

Sure, you could spin it this way if you want.

Or, it's a late first, a future second, a prospect who can't crack 0.5ppg in the AHL, and Gaudette who is now on his 5th team in in 3 years for ROR at 1.875M and another depth piece in Acciari.

Depends on which fan base you're talking to I guess.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 9:55 a.m.
Quoting: drambui
who are you recalling? if you're thinking stamkos ypur memory is all wrong, never made to ufa , so never was offered anything by other team.s.

True however there was at the time I believe it was 5 days prior to FA players who would be UFAs could visit other teams as Stamkos did with Toronto. If my memory serves me correctly it was a Tuesday and The TML brought him. They had the CEO of Canadian Tire there telling him how much he could make in endorsements. The Mayor . By Stamkos' own words he walked into Yzerman's office the next morning and told him get me what you can I'm staying. This was confirmed by Steve Yzerman. Problem with that approach was Stamkos hadn't done a commercial for anything the previous 8 year and hasn't until the last year . He likes his privacy and really doesn't want to be a product w****
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:05 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Because 11>>>>>>13.5 million dollars according to your logic

Who offered Tavares 13.5 I call B***s*** on that. And the KHL team offered Kaprizov a $10,000,000 contract to and the Easter bunny exists.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:08 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: Boltsbeathabs
Who offered Tavares 13.5 I call B***s*** on that. And the KHL team offered Kaprizov a $10,000,000 contract to and the Easter bunny exists.

https://www.tsn.ca/tavares-took-less-money-to-come-home-1.1128490#:~:text=It%20wasn't%20about%20linemates,about%20being%20a%20fan%20again.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:11 a.m.
Quoting: Ritzy
https://www.tsn.ca/tavares-took-less-money-to-come-home-1.1128490#:~:text=It%20wasn't%20about%20linemates,about%20being%20a%20fan%20again.

You believe in Santa Claus too? Don't believe it for a second show me a quote of Doug Wilson confirming that I'll believe it.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:15 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
You believe in Santa Claus too? Don't believe it for a second show me a quote of Doug Wilson confirming that I'll believe it.

Lol, can't fathom someone being right about something eh.

Cause a GM is absolutely going to come out and say how much he offered a guy he didn't end up getting. Give your head a shake.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:18 a.m.
Lol, can't fathom someone being right about something eh.

Cause a GM is absolutely going to come out and say how much he offered a guy he didn't end up getting. Give your head a shake.

Wow agents don't lie to the press to make their clients look good. Do you really believe that Kaprizov had a $10,000,000 KHL contract offer? Agents and Gms Lie ALL THE TIME
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:20 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Wow agents don't lie to the press to make their clients look good. Do you really believe that Kaprizov had a $10,000,000 KHL contract offer? Agents and Gms Lie ALL THE TIME

Love that you switched to talking about Kaprizov once the evidence of JT was put in front of you. Just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

Have a good one!
LeafsForLife and oneX liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:21 a.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Pretty good trade, I’d have to say STL won, but pretty solid overall.
sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:26 a.m.
Love that you switched to talking about Kaprizov once the evidence of JT was put in front of you. Just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

Have a good one!

I was making the point GMs LIE giving another example. You have an "unnamed source" article good job show me one quote from a named person saying he was offered 13.5.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
Leafs having 5 (of a potential 12) picks in the first 4 rounds over the next 3 years is an ultimate "F them picks" lol. If they can't manage to surpass tampa this year in the first rd, you might all hear my laughing in the distance.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.
Quoting: DogDayCaps2
Lol if you are dumb I guess you could come to that conclusion. Compared a team overpaying for a washed up version of a player bc of his name / past performances. seems pretty obvious what my point was… wasn’t that hard to follow

The comparison is ridiculous as O'Reilly is an older player with name recognition and past performances. K cool we agree. But Chiarot isn't.

O'Reilly has a Selke, top 5 Selke voter last 4 years. A conn Smythe. K I get the past accomplishments.

What are Chiarot's past accomplishments? He has none. Chiarot isn't a great defender and he never was. Further he was as good last year as he ever was. Which is a fine #4-5 physical defender. But not a particularly good one. He wasn't past his prime and living off past accomplishments... He just was overrated.

It's a dumb comparison
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:40 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Not really, Vancouver got Beaullivier who's young and serviceable along with Raty who was NYI's best prospect and Toronto has a better chance of making the playoffs than NYI. A trade that would have been similar to the Horvat deal would be: 2023 first, Knies and Sandin (Knies is less valuable than Raty but Sandin is more valuable than Beau) and ST.Louis got nowhere near that. IMO, Accardi was worth the Second so in my eyes it's Gaudette (contract spot), Abramov (don't know the kid so no comment), 2023 1rst and 2023 Ott's 3rd (Thanks Matt Murray) for O'Rielly.

You also have to remember that O'Rielly had a broken foot that is now healed and will be playing against 3rd line guys which will help him stat wise.

The Leafs now become the most stacked team down the middle and if they land Chychrun (2024 1rst + Knies + Sandin + another B tier prospect) which would explain why O'Rielly needed 75% retained. They (obviously with biases) could be considered one of the teams most likely to win it all

Sure, you could spin it this way if you want.

Or, it's a late first, a future second, a prospect who can't crack 0.5ppg in the AHL, and Gaudette who is now on his 5th team in in 3 years for ROR at 1.875M and another depth piece in Acciari.

Depends on which fan base you're talking to I guess.

In your opinion, what should an extension for ROR look like?
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:43 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer

Tough to say. He's only 32, not exactly "aging", but he's technically on the wrong side of 30.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone offered him a 4M (4 years) or 5M (3 years). TOR can't do that though, unless he's going to play the 2LW spot more often than not.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:47 a.m.
Leafs paid more for O’Reilly than the Rangers did for Tarasenko.

I feel like the Leafs overpaid here.
sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:48 a.m.
Minnesota gets:

for

Ryan O'Reilly
Noel Acciari

Adam Gaudette
Mikhail Abramov
2nd round pick
3rd round pick

Minnesota paid $74k in actual dollars and spent a fraction of the nearly $12 million in accrued cap space to acquire a 4th round pick in exchange for a prospect they had no intention of signing. It’s not a loss for Minnesota. It’s exactly what they need to be doing.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:54 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: BoredWildFan
Minnesota paid $74k in actual dollars and spent a fraction of the nearly $12 million in accrued cap space to acquire a 4th round pick in exchange for a prospect they had no intention of signing. It’s not a loss for Minnesota. It’s exactly what they need to be doing.

The cap space should be spent on a quality rental for the playoffs.

The 4th round pick is for 2025.

And a 4th round pick was spent on drafting Pillar in the first place.

At the end of the day, Minnesota did not need to be in this trade.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:54 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Edited Feb. 18, 2023 at 11:06 a.m.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
Leafs paid more for O’Reilly than the Rangers did for Tarasenko.

I feel like the Leafs overpaid here.

Depends on how you look at it. NYI's first round pick had more value. As it stands right now (obviously can change), that pick is earlier than TOR's.

Raty has more value than Gaudette and Abramov combined right now. I would say he has a better chance of making the NHL on a regular basis than the other two.

That leaves the rest of the picks. Which TOR needed to send out in order to get ROR at 75% retention, and also got another depth "grit" piece that this website loves to obsess over.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 10:59 a.m.
Bedard23
I can’t tell if it’s an overpay or not
Feb. 18, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
The cap space should be spent on a quality rental for the playoffs.

The 4th round pick is for 2025.

And a 4th round pick was spent on drafting Pillar in the first place.

At the end of the day, Minnesota did not need to be in this trade.

MN still has $10 million in cap space to spend on rentals if they choose to go that route. (They shouldn’t. There are too many holes to fill to make them a contender.)

The pick is in 2025 because their prospect pool is already stacked. They need time to weed out who stays and who goes.

They weren’t signing Pillar. They paid $74k to recoup the pick.

If MN wasn’t in the trade, some other team would have helped.

Guerin’s looking to the future, which is exactly what he should be doing, even if the return is only a 4th round pick two years from now.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 11:24 a.m.
True however there was at the time I believe it was 5 days prior to FA players who would be UFAs could visit other teams as Stamkos did with Toronto. If my memory serves me correctly it was a Tuesday and The TML brought him. They had the CEO of Canadian Tire there telling him how much he could make in endorsements. The Mayor . By Stamkos' own words he walked into Yzerman's office the next morning and told him get me what you can I'm staying. This was confirmed by Steve Yzerman. Problem with that approach was Stamkos hadn't done a commercial for anything the previous 8 year and hasn't until the last year . He likes his privacy and really doesn't want to be a product w****

Quoting: Hollands_missing_brain
Leafs having 5 (of a potential 12) picks in the first 4 rounds over the next 3 years is an ultimate "F them picks" lol. If they can't manage to surpass tampa this year in the first rd, you might all hear my laughing in the distance.

I see your point but I don't know about "ultimate". The quite bad over that period Vancouver Canucks have had 6 picks in the first 4 round over the last 3 years (https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008756.html) and while that is one more than the Leafs, the Leafs have two 1sts to their one.

But yeah the Leafs have moved a looooot of draft capital. They haven't moved the majority of their prospects though. Yet...
Feb. 18, 2023 at 11:25 a.m.

It all depends on how he plays in Toronto. I'd love to resign him for like 4 mil*3 years.
sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 11:26 a.m.
For those saying O'Reilly is over the hill, wanna hear something crazy? Do you know who the first pick was in his draft? Tavares. Kadri same draft just got 8-9 mil for term.

There's a gamble here as he was playing below his typical this year but we shall see
Feb. 18, 2023 at 11:35 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Between 750K (steal)-2.5 mill (Bergy contract but with a little more term like by 1 or 2 years)
sensonfire liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit