Forums/Armchair-GM

Most likely the ask from SJ

Created by: Howie
Team: 2022-23 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 23, 2023
Published: Feb. 23, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Don't bash me for the deal more just an estimate on what the ask is for nj. I feel like the price is high so they might look at other options but ultimately try and figure out a deal not including mercer. This deal nj shouldn't do imo but JUST A GUESS. Atleast it's better than a Anderson trade that makes no sense. Let me know what you think the ask of sj is and what his realistic return is and if it's higher or lower than the ask. His value is all over the place
Trades
NJD
  1. Bonino, Nick ($1,025,000 retained)
  2. Meier, Timo ($3,000,000 retained)
  3. 2023 4th round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
8 year 9m extension in place
SJS
  1. Daws, Nico
  2. Mercer, Dawson
  3. Zetterlund, Fabian
  4. 2023 1st round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
Not saying that it's a fair deal or that it should be done but based on all the noise and rumors the price is high and this is what I suspect is around it tbh. Could be off but seems to be what SJ is looking for.
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$76,978,291$0$165,000$5,521,709
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$0$0
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
UFA - 8
$5,450,000$5,450,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$975,000$975,000
C
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LW
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
C, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$0$0
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,166,667$3,166,667
LD
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
UFA - 5
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 2
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
$850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
RFA - 2
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,125,000$4,125,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 23, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Pop Pop
The 1st and mercer definitely are being asked for , maybe zetterlund maybe a guy like Casey or Mukhamadullin
BeautifulIdiot liked this.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 12:02 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
If that's the ask, walk away. Nobody else is coming close to matching that offer
Tintin liked this.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 12:11 a.m.
Chicago
Quoting: dgibb10
If that's the ask, walk away. Nobody else is coming close to matching that offer

I agree, although wouldn't be surprised if the Blues offer 2 2023 1st rounders or Vegas offers Brisson and a 2023 1st.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 12:19 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Devils should walk away if thats the ask

Keep Mercer
Tintin and Tobbe_Vth liked this.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 12:42 a.m.
Edited Feb. 24, 2023 at 1:00 a.m.
I'm guessing SJ asks for Zetterlund in lieu of Mercer, who I'm sure Fitzgerald won't be giving up easily. So, it's probably a top prospect (Holtz is my guess) + 2023 1st + Zetterlund (+ Daws/RD prospect if there is more).

If Grier manages to pryout Mercer from NJ, I think he'll be the centerpiece of the trade and then it would be something like Mercer + 2023 1st + RD prospect (like Walsh) + Daws (if they are focusing on getting that goalie prospect as well).
Feb. 24, 2023 at 1:19 a.m.
Mercer is a non starter for me. Nemec is really close to a nonstarter but I’ll have a conversation. Holtz, Mukhamadulin, Zetterlund, Casey, Gritsyuk all players that I’m okay with moving. My package would be Holtz, Sharangovich, Daws, 2023 1st
Feb. 24, 2023 at 1:33 a.m.
Quoting: Devsfan25
Mercer is a non starter for me. Nemec is really close to a nonstarter but I’ll have a conversation. Holtz, Mukhamadulin, Zetterlund, Casey, Gritsyuk all players that I’m okay with moving. My package would be Holtz, Sharangovich, Daws, 2023 1st

Sharks better off resigning him vs. this package. It's just a bunch of meh.
JoeThorntonsBeard liked this.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 1:40 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
I'm guessing SJ asks for Zetterlund in lieu of Mercer, who I'm sure Fitzgerald won't be giving up easily. So, it's probably a top prospect (Holtz is my guess) + 2023 1st + Zetterlund (+ Daws/RD prospect if there is more).

If Grier manages to pryout Mercer from NJ, I think he'll be the centerpiece of the trade and then it would be something like Mercer + 2023 1st + RD prospect (like Walsh) + Daws (if they are focusing on getting that goalie prospect as well).

I put this exact package on here a few weeks ago - Mercer + Muk + 1st. I understand if the Devils don't want to trade Mercer it but I don't see a package from them that's enticing without him or Nemec. Holtz just isn't acceptable. Sharks don't need an AHL sniper that can't skate as a centerpiece to replace an elite NHL winger

Side note - good lord the Sharks PP looked like garbage tonight without Timo.
GMBL liked this.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 7:20 a.m.
Quoting: Sjbackseatgm
I put this exact package on here a few weeks ago - Mercer + Muk + 1st. I understand if the Devils don't want to trade Mercer it but I don't see a package from them that's enticing without him or Nemec. Holtz just isn't acceptable. Sharks don't need an AHL sniper that can't skate as a centerpiece to replace an elite NHL winger

Well I can tell u rn that Mercer won’t be moved and if there was any consideration to moving him in that deal, then we wouldn’t be moving a 1st rounder with him. Nemec- I can have a conversation but what about Holtz, Mukhamadulin, Daws, 2023 1st. Ik Holtz isn’t off to a blaring start in his NHL career but he’s still got boatloads of potential and played with Eklund
Sjbackseatgm liked this.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 8:06 a.m.
Quoting: Sjbackseatgm

SJ has to take Holtz or give up Eklund!!! I'm rooting for a reunion. NJ would have their Suiss Connection and SJ would have their own Swedish Delight pair (Rakell+Silverberg used to be so good together).
Holtz+Zetterlund+Mukhamadullin+Daws+2023 1st, get it done!

If Holtz is not an option then I think it will be Nemec+Zetterlund+Daws+1st or Mercer+Mukhamadullin+1st. I have a hunch that NJ would trade Nemec away before they trade Mercer. Having Mercer just makes their team so much deeper with the addition of Meier.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 8:27 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
Holtz+Zetterlund+Mukhamadullin+Daws+2023 1st, get it done!

If Holtz is not an option then I think it will be Nemec+Zetterlund+Daws+1st or Mercer+Mukhamadullin+1st.

1st suggested trade is an unprecedented overpay.
2nd suggested is nothing if not insane.
dgibb10 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:12 a.m.
Quoting: Tintin
1st suggested trade is an unprecedented overpay.
2nd suggested is nothing if not insane.

Right now, I think it's going to take NJ and overpay to land him. Fitzgerald will refuse and then he'll end up in Carolina for what might seem like pennies in comparison, especially if they are willing to part with Jarvis. NJ has the best assets but if they aren't willing to give Grier the pieces he wants, he might as well trade him elsewhere. Personally, I think Holtz+a 2023 1st + a good RD prospect is a fair price, but to me it seems that Grier wants full value for Meier and he should. A young roster player that they like + a very good RD prospect + a 2023 1st seems to be the baseline, a good goalie prospect would seal the deal but might not be required.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:16 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Right now, I think it's going to take NJ and overpay to land him. Fitzgerald will refuse and then he'll end up in Carolina for what might seem like pennies in comparison. NJ has the best assets but if they aren't willing to give Grier the pieces he wants, he might as well trade him elsewhere. Personally, I think Holtz+a 2023 1st + a good RD prospect is a fair price, but to me it seems that Grier wants full value for Meier and he should. A young roster player that they like + a very good RD prospect + a 2023 1st seems to be the baseline, a good goalie prospect would seal the deal but might not be required.

Please explain the logic behind trading Meier to carolina for less than the devils are offering simply because the devils won't part with Mercer/Nemec, meanwhile carolina won't part with Jarvis/Nikishin but apparently that's not an issue at all?
Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:24 a.m.
Please explain the logic behind trading Meier to carolina for less than the devils are offering simply because the devils won't part with Mercer/Nemec, meanwhile carolina won't part with Jarvis/Nikishin but apparently that's not an issue at all?

Maybe they do part with Jarvis, down the line. NYR are likely to add Kane, and Waddell should believe that they are a true contender, so I don't see him just sitting there. On the other hand, Fitzgerald isn't going to feel the same sense of urgency, it's just the first time they are making it to the playoffs in years.

If neither NJ or CAR are willing to give him pieces that he wants, the price is probably going to go down but there are still other teams in the mix and that would make their offers more competitive.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it has to be that package I suggested. I have no clue who Grier doesn't want. However, if NJ isn't giving up at least one piece that the Sharks want that might mean that they won't get him.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:35 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Maybe they do part with Jarvis, down the line. NYR are likely to add Kane, and Waddell should believe that they are a true contender, so I don't see him just sitting there. On the other hand, Fitzgerald isn't going to feel the same sense of urgency, it's just the first time they are making it to the playoffs in years.

If neither NJ or CAR are willing to give him pieces that he wants, the price is probably going to go down but there are still other teams in the mix and that would make their offers more competitive.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it has to be that package I suggested. I have no clue who Grier doesn't want. However, if NJ isn't giving up at least one piece that the Sharks want that might mean that they won't get him.

I've still yet to see a prospect better than Holtz be put on the table by any team
Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:53 a.m.
This is an absolute non-starter. Remember what Fitz said a month ago when they interviewed him? “Willing to move assets but not mortgage the future”. Moving Hughes, Nemec, or Mercer is the literal definition of mortgaging the future! It’s a take it or leave it offer: 1st/Holtz/Mukh or Casey. SJ don’t want that or feels like another offer is better, just let them do whatever they’re gonna do.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 11:08 a.m.
I've still yet to see a prospect better than Holtz be put on the table by any team

If SJ is highly interested in Holtz, then maybe that makes them the front-runner, but if they aren't high on him, then it doesn't really matter how good he is as a prospect. Something to consider is that teams' scouting departments have differences in how they rank prospects. There's also the goal of the trade. Grier is likely looking to address certain specific needs (get a young NHL regular to replace Meier in the line up, a top 2/4 RHD, a goalie prospect, etc...), some will have higher priority over others. That's why I was saying he could be traded elsewhere for what seems like pennies in comparison.

Anyways we don't know what any of the offers really are, just some pieces that are in play. We also don't know which teams will be in on him in the coming week. At the end, all the offers will be compared to each other, and SJ will take the one they think is the best, for better or for worse, or they may pass on all.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
he'll end up in Carolina for what might seem like pennies in comparison, especially if they are willing to part with Jarvis.

If Canes are offering up Jarvis for Meier, the Devils should in no way match that return for Meier and just let that play out.
Beating such an offer would simply require a package to big to justify for Meier.

The Devils have just now entered a 10 year window of contention and are doing just fine without Meier.
No need to needlessly shorten that window of contention on the backend just to keep up with the present day metropolitan arms race.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 11:25 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
If SJ is highly interested in Holtz, then maybe that makes them the front-runner, but if they aren't high on him, then it doesn't really matter how good he is as a prospect. Something to consider is that teams' scouting departments have differences in how they rank prospects. There's also the goal of the trade. Grier is likely looking to address certain specific needs (get a young NHL regular to replace Meier in the line up, a top 2/4 RHD, a goalie prospect, etc...), some will have higher priority over others. That's why I was saying he could be traded elsewhere for what seems like pennies in comparison.

Anyways we don't know what any of the offers really are, just some pieces that are in play. We also don't know which teams will be in on him in the coming week. At the end, all the offers will be compared to each other, and SJ will take the one they think is the best, for better or for worse, or they may pass on all.

Good thing the devils have:
Young NHL regulars in Sharangovich and Zetterlund
top 4 RHD in Shakir and Casey
Wing prospects in Holtz and Arseni
Goalie prospects in Schmid and Daws

Really the only need the devils can't fill with their prospects is a top 6/middle 6 center prospect
Feb. 24, 2023 at 11:44 a.m.
Edited Feb. 24, 2023 at 11:50 a.m.
Quoting: Tintin
If Canes are offering up Jarvis for Meier, the Devils should in no way match that return for Meier and just let that play out.
Beating such an offer would simply require a package to big to justify for Meier.

The Devils have just now entered a 10 year window of contention and are doing just fine without Meier.
No need to needlessly shorten that window of contention on the backend just to keep up with the present day metropolitan arms race.

Having Meier for the next 9 years shouldn't shorten the window at all if he really is a star player. That being said I think you are right that there is no urgency to match the deal. I think Fitzgerald is better off overpaying for Meier than giving up pieces like Hughes and Mercer, maybe Nemec. Nemec isn't really a need for NJ. Hamilton isn't going anywhere anytime soon probably, and they have Marino, they have other RD who can potentially make it to a top 4 spot, not necessary to have a top 2 RD as well.

Good thing the devils have:
Young NHL regulars in Sharangovich and Zetterlund
top 4 RHD in Shakir and Casey
Wing prospects in Holtz and Arseni
Goalie prospects in Schmid and Daws

Really the only need the devils can't fill with their prospects is a top 6/middle 6 center prospect

Yeah, I'm not saying Jersey can't get it done, but I was replying to someone who implied that SJ might not really be all interested in Holtz. Sharangovich or Zetterlund would be consolation prizes to Mercer. It's not like Fitzgerald will be offering 4 of those pieces+ a 2023 1st. So, if he's offering 3 or 4 good/great pieces, but Grier isn't really high on any one piece, then they may choose to take a different offer. There are other options out there for SJ but also for NJ too.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 11:48 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Having Meier for the next 9 years shouldn't shorten the window at all if he really is a star player. That being said I think you are right that there is no urgency to match the deal. I think Fitzgerald is better off overpaying for Meier than giving up pieces like Hughes and Mercer, maybe Nemec. Nemec isn't really a need for NJ. Hamilton isn't going anywhere anytime soon probably, and they have Marino, they have other RD who can potentially make it to a top 4 spot, not necessary to have a top 2 RD as well.

Yeah, I'm not saying Jersey can't get it done, but I was replying to someone who implied that SJ might not really be all interested in Holtz. Sharangovich or Zetterlund would be consolation prizes to Mercer. It's not like Fitzgerald will be offering 4 of those pieces+ a 2023 1st. So, if he's offering 3 or 4 good/great pieces, but Grier isn't really high on any one piece, then they may not get the deal done. There are other options out there for SJ but also for NJ too.

me and most devils fans (I believe) will be disappointed, but fine if Fitz overpays in the form of something like 1 too many assets, eg an extra Vilen/Zetterlund/yegor/Casey/2nd/1st more than we wanted to win a bidding war. Devils fans will not be happy if he overpays in the form of giving up Mercer or Nemec when no other team is offering anything remotely comparable to those assets
GMBL liked this.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 12:43 p.m.
me and most devils fans (I believe) will be disappointed, but fine if Fitz overpays in the form of something like 1 too many assets, eg an extra Vilen/Zetterlund/yegor/Casey/2nd/1st more than we wanted to win a bidding war. Devils fans will not be happy if he overpays in the form of giving up Mercer or Nemec when no other team is offering anything remotely comparable to those assets

I'm not a fan of either team, but if a trade happens between SJ & NJ with Meier, I'll be disappointed if Holtz isn't going the other way - I am a huge Jack Hughes fan though, maybe a bit of a Mercer fan.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 12:51 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I'm not a fan of either team, but if a trade happens between SJ & NJ with Meier, I'll be disappointed if Holtz isn't going the other way - I am a huge Jack Hughes fan though, maybe a bit of a Mercer fan.

Holtz just seems to make sense. Doesn't quite fit perfectly with the devils style of play, best friends with Eklund, probably the best available prospect in a Meier trade
GMBL liked this.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 1:30 p.m.
Holtz just seems to make sense. Doesn't quite fit perfectly with the devils style of play, best friends with Eklund, probably the best available prospect in a Meier trade

To add to that Holtz is also a goal scorer even if he's not a PWF, so in that sense it's a good match in my opinion as well. I'm guessing they want a couple of pieces that are closer to a sure thing. Mercer and Sharangovich are a bit more proven than Zetterlund, but I think Grier should use that to his advantage to get more quality pieces rather than few high quality pieces.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
To add to that Holtz is also a goal scorer even if he's not a PWF, so in that sense it's a good match in my opinion as well. I'm guessing they want a couple of pieces that are closer to a sure thing. Mercer and Sharangovich are a bit more proven than Zetterlund, but I think Grier should use that to his advantage to get more quality pieces rather than few high quality pieces.

Yegor also means less retention is needed, but allegedly the sharks like Zetterlund
GMBL liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll