Forums/Armchair-GM

EASports Realistic Trades I Would Do If I Was Flames GM

Created by: KingofRnR
Team: 2022-23 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 24, 2023
Published: Feb. 24, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not Realistic to Change the Team This Much, but Just Having Some Fun to Create Conversation and Debate 🤩

Help me out on the Trades and Values

If I’m off, make a suggestion, counter-proposal or what you think it would cost the Flames instead
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Kane - Retained, Patrick
1$2,625,000
Gostisbehere - Retained, Shayne
1$1,125,000
Trades
CGY
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. Dach, Kirby
  3. Farrell, Sean [Reserve List]
  4. Kidney, Riley
Additional Details:
Anderson is over paid and over rated imo, but he’d fit with Sutter better. He’s a $4mil 3rd Line Player AFAIC

Bringing in Farrell might be a good idea for Coronato
MTL
  1. Huberdeau, Jonathan
  2. Pelletier, Jakob
  3. Ruzicka, Adam
Additional Details:
Maybe Huberdeau is Better Suited for the Eastern Conference and we all know MTL wants Pelletier, right!?
CGY
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. Sandin, Rasmus
  3. Villeneuve, William
  4. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
TOR doesn’t Fully Trust Holl or Sandin and with their Cup Contention Window Closing, they make this move to Improve their Team and an increase their Playoff Chances. Dubas’s Attempt to Save His Job lol
TOR
  1. Weegar, MacKenzie
Additional Details:
Weegar’s simply a Better LD/RD than both Sandin or Holl
CGY
  1. Kerfoot, Alexander
  2. 2024 5th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Optional if TOR wants more Grit
TOR
  1. Lucic, Milan ($2,625,000 retained)
  2. 2023 4th round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. Chychrun, Jakob
Additional Details:
Chychrun has proven to be injury prone and might need t be much, if any, better than Hanifin, but he is cheaper and has an additional year of term, which adds value
ARI
  1. Hanifin, Noah
  2. Kylington, Oliver
  3. Nikolayev, Ilya
  4. Rooney, Kevin
Additional Details:
Trading both Gost & Chychrun, makes room in ARI for 2 D-Men and finally ENDS once and for all the Chychrun Trade Rumors Soap Opera
CGY
  1. Kunin, Luke
  2. Meier, Timo ($3,000,000 retained)
  3. Svechnikov, Evgeny
Additional Details:
Meier comes Signed for $8.5mil x 8yrs
SJS
  1. Emilio Pettersen, Mathias
  2. Mackey, Connor
  3. Pospisil, Martin
  4. Zary, Connor
  5. 2023 1st round pick (CGY)
  6. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
CGY
  1. 2023 5th round pick (CHI)
CHI
    To Retain 25% on P.Kane or to retain $2-2.75mil on any other Trade
    CGY
    1. 2023 5th round pick (EDM)
    EDM
      To retain $1.125mil on Shayne Goostisbehere or to retain on any other Trade up to whatever Cap Space the Flames have left at the TDL
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the FLA
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the CGY
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$82,500,000$79,127,500$0$200,000$3,372,500
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the San Jose Sharks
      $0$0
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Calgary Flames
      $4,850,000$4,850,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $7,000,000$7,000,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      $5,800,000$5,800,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 3
      $5,350,000$5,350,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $4,900,000$4,900,000
      RW, LW
      NTC
      UFA - 5
      $2,125,000$2,125,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
      $3,362,500$3,362,500
      C, RW
      RFA - 4
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 5
      $2,300,000$2,300,000
      LW, RW, C
      RFA - 2
      $827,500$827,500
      RW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      LW, C, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
      $4,600,000$4,600,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 3
      $4,550,000$4,550,000
      RD
      UFA - 4
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      G
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $1,125,000$1,125,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $750,000$750,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 2
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
      RW, C
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      RW, C
      RFA - 2
      $750,000$750,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Kane - Retained, Patrick
      $2,625,000$2,625,000
      $762,500$762,500
      LD
      UFA - 2
      Gostisbehere - Retained, Shayne
      $1,125,000$1,125,000
      Taxi Squad
      $750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $859,167$859,167 ($0$0$0$0)
      C
      RFA - 4
      $817,778$817,778 ($0$0$0$0)
      RD
      RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:06 p.m.
      TrevorA
      Edited Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:25 p.m.
      Let me know your thoughts @MoxNix @OilFire @TheLand

MTL Fans, don’t forget you’ll be getting Ruzicka, then PLD next off-season and you’ll probably end up keeping and re-signing Monahan for another season too, so giving up Dach isn’t a Big Deal

If the Lucic Trade doesn’t happen, I’d Trade for a Physical FaceOff Winning, Defensively Responsible 4C (Lafferty, etc.) move Dube to LW with Lewis/Duehr/Ritchie/Coronato competing for 4RW
      V123 and TheLand liked this.
      Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:16 p.m.
      Vegas Repeat
      I think the value is off for Meier, but, if you take out kunin, then maybe. Like the idea though
      KingofRnR liked this.
      Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
      Leafs trade doesn't make much sense for them. Sure Weegar is a better defenseman but trading 2 defensemen off your roster for 1 still leaves a hole. The Holl part of this trade doesn't make much sense but the Leafs would need about 550k to keep him. That's how this likely looks. Sandin, Villeneuve and a 1st for Weegar with a bit retained.
      Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:40 p.m.
      TrevorA
      Quoting: Byrr
      Leafs trade doesn't make much sense for them. Sure Weegar is a better defenseman but trading 2 defensemen off your roster for 1 still leaves a hole. The Holl part of this trade doesn't make much sense but the Leafs would need about 550k to keep him. That's how this likely looks. Sandin, Villeneuve and a 1st for Weegar with a bit retained.

Flames could use a 3rd Pairing RD. TOR has Timmins & Benn and Weegar will play LD or RD, so Holl could be expendable, especially if TOR acquires Schenn who’s Cap Hit is only $850k

CGY could retain on Weegar for this year only, but depending how much, it’d likely cost another 4th or 5th RD Pick or Equivalent Prospect
      Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:44 p.m.
      Quoting: KingofRnR
      Flames could use a 3rd Pairing RD. TOR has Timmins & Benn and Weegar will play LD or RD, so Holl could be expendable, especially if TOR acquires Schenn who’s Cap Hit is only $850k

CGY could retain on Weegar for this year only, but depending how much, it’d likely cost another 4th or 5th RD Pick or Equivalent Prospect

Schenn isn't going to slot into the top 4 the way Holl would. You seem to think the Leafs don't have confidence in Holl but the front office and coaching staff have shown nothing but confidence in him. They are looking for a defenseman to push a 39 year old Giordano down so he's not playing 20 minutes a night against tough competition, not Holl. With Weegar added, that likely pushes Brodie down to play with Holl. The retention wouldn't cost anything, it would be the cost of doing business for the Flames.
      Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:56 p.m.
      TrevorA
      Schenn isn't going to slot into the top 4 the way Holl would. You seem to think the Leafs don't have confidence in Holl but the front office and coaching staff have shown nothing but confidence in him. They are looking for a defenseman to push a 39 year old Giordano down so he's not playing 20 minutes a night against tough competition, not Holl. With Weegar added, that likely pushes Brodie down to play with Holl. The retention wouldn't cost anything, it would be the cost of doing business for the Flames.

Depends where you play Weegar:

Reilly-Brodie
      Weegar-Liljegren
      Giordano-Schenn
      xTimmins/Benn

Reilly-Weegar
      Brodie-Schenn
      Giordano-Liljegren
      xTimmins/Benn
      Feb. 24, 2023 at 10:58 p.m.
      Depends where you play Weegar:

Reilly-Brodie
      Weegar-Liljegren
      Giordano-Schenn
      xTimmins/Benn

Reilly-Weegar
      Brodie-Schenn
      Giordano-Liljegren
      xTimmins/Benn

Doesn't matter where you play Weegar, its still a worse option than having Holl in the top 4. The lineup would be

Rielly - Brodie(or Weegar)
      Brodie (or...) - Holl
      Giordano - Liljegren.

It's the best lineup available.
      Feb. 24, 2023 at 11:02 p.m.
      LMAO so we give up 13th OVA to get Dach, then trade him, Anderson and 2 of our top 10 (maybe top 5) prospects for a severely overpaid Huberdeau + another small winger in Pelletier + a winger never cracking the Habs lineup in Ruzicka. Nah, Habs definitely pass on that thanks! You want to talk Anderson it starts with the 2023 1st + Boltman, you want to add Dach it costs Coronoto + Wolf, want Farrell added it will cost Zary, adding Kidney costs Pelletier. Basically those 4 pieces costs the Flames their future, not willing to do all that then go pound salt!
      Xavier02 and HabsCanucks liked this.
      Feb. 24, 2023 at 11:45 p.m.
      TrevorA
      Best I could do is swap out Pelletier for Coronato, but MTL would also need to swap out Farrell with Beck

If you don’t think Dach is worth 13th Overall Coronato + Ruzicka, I don’t know what to tell ya 🤷‍♂️ There’s additional value in getting 2 Young NHL Players for 1/2 the Cap Hit of Dach. You’re way off on and clearly don’t know Ruzicka or understand the fit

Huberdeau is over paid compared to who… Josh Anderson!? If anything they’re both over paid, but Huberdeau has a much higher ceiling and probability to get back on track for 1.00PPG+, something I just can’t see Josh Anderson ever doing

So if you don’t think French “SuperStar” Jonathan Huberdeau is worth 0.40PPG Josh Anderson + Owen Beck + Riley Kidney, again, I don’t know what to tell you 🤷‍♂️
      MoxNix liked this.
      Feb. 24, 2023 at 11:54 p.m.
      TrevorA
      Doesn't matter where you play Weegar, its still a worse option than having Holl in the top 4. The lineup would be

Rielly - Brodie(or Weegar)
      Brodie (or...) - Holl
      Giordano - Liljegren.

It's the best lineup available.

I got the impression from most Leafs Fans that they couldn’t wait to get rid of Kerfoot’s Cap Hit and Holl for his consistent gafs, giveaways and fumbles

Reilly, Brodie, Giordano, Liljegren and Sandin are all better than Holl, no!? He seems to be your 6th or 7th D-Man. Weegar would easily be your #2 and perhaps could even become your #1 D-Man 🤔
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 12:01 a.m.
      Edited Feb. 25, 2023 at 12:23 a.m.
      I got the impression from most Leafs Fans that they couldn’t wait to get rid of Kerfoot’s Cap Hit and Holl for his consistent gafs, giveaways and fumbles

Reilly, Brodie, Giordano, Liljegren and Sandin are all better than Holl, no!? He seems to be your 6th or 7th D-Man. Weegar would easily be your #2 and perhaps could even become your #1 D-Man 🤔

Leafs fans are dumb and pick a defenseman to pick on every season. Holl is the Leafs 2nd most used defenseman per game this season and the one who isn't heavily sheltered in offensive zone starts/competition. He is the anchor for the pair that matches up against other teams top lines every night on a team who's top 5 in basically all defensive metrics both fancy and normal. He is a better option than everyone except maybe Brodie. Next year Holl is going to sign a new contract that starts with a 5 and the reaction is going to be hilarious.
      KingofRnR liked this.
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 12:05 a.m.
      Fun looking flames team. Losing Hanifin sucks, but getting Chychrun to replace him cheaper, longer, don't have to worry about him walking, I'm ok with that. I don't think AZ does anything without a 2023 1st, they just keep him, maybe they flip Hanifin.

I like Weegar for Toronto, I don't want Holl, I've been hearing Dangle and Kyper both saying they don't want him in the lineup for playoffs. Super inconsistent, flashes of brilliance followed by shocking break downs. Sandin just gets banged up too often.

I think Toronto needs a good RD for Riley, Weegar would be great. (I don't think we should trade Weegs, 1 of 2 defenseman signed more than 2 yrs into the future)

Bump Brodie down and get Klingberg, klingy has defensive issues but hopefully brodie smooths that out. He should be relatively cheap too, no ones really talking about him.

Get Schenn for Gio, keep Timmins as 7th D.

I've looked at playing around with that idea for Toronto, never published it, didn't feel like dealing with the vitriol it would have drawn.
      KingofRnR liked this.
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 12:15 a.m.
      TrevorA
      Imagine this MTL lineup:

Huberdeau-Suzuki-Hoffman
      Caufield-Coronato-Gallagher
      HP-Monahan/Drouin-J.Roy/Belzile
      Slafkovsky-Ruzicka-Mesar/Armia
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 12:26 a.m.
      Best I could do is swap out Pelletier for Coronato, but MTL would also need to swap out Farrell with Beck

If you don’t think Dach is worth 13th Overall Coronato + Ruzicka, I don’t know what to tell ya 🤷‍♂️ There’s additional value in getting 2 Young NHL Players for 1/2 the Cap Hit of Dach. You’re way off on and clearly don’t know Ruzicka or understand the fit

Huberdeau is over paid compared to who… Josh Anderson!? If anything they’re both over paid, but Huberdeau has a much higher ceiling and probability to get back on track for 1.00PPG+, something I just can’t see Josh Anderson ever doing

So if you don’t think French “SuperStar” Jonathan Huberdeau is worth 0.40PPG Josh Anderson + Owen Beck + Riley Kidney, again, I don’t know what to tell you 🤷‍♂️

I don't know why MTL (a rebuilding team) not wanting to add a 30 year old with an 8 year contract is hard to understand.

Dach is 22 and could very realistically finish the season with more points than Huberdeau, he's a guy MTL want to build around and is extremely unlikely to trade. That seems pretty simple to me.
      Campabee and Xavier02 liked this.
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 12:35 a.m.
      Imagine this MTL lineup:

Huberdeau-Suzuki-Hoffman
      Caufield-Coronato-Gallagher
      HP-Monahan/Drouin-J.Roy/Belzile
      Slafkovsky-Ruzicka-Mesar/Armia

There is no guarantee that Coronato or Roy are NHL ready and Mesar certainly isn't. Gallagher and Armia get injured for long stretches every single year so can't count on them. Hoffman has no business in an NHL top 6. Belzile is very unlikely to be in the NHL nest season.

I'd rather have the cap and Dach than Huberdeau.
      Campabee and Xavier02 liked this.
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 12:48 a.m.

Like I said above you don't like the counter offer go pound salt!
      LumberJacques and Xavier02 liked this.
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 12:57 a.m.
      TrevorA
      Quoting: Campabee
      Like I said above you don't like the counter offer go pound salt!

I’ll get back to you and lumber tomorrow. I’m done for the night. Pound 🧂 🤣 Good one, Love it 😘
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 1:01 a.m.

You never sent the 13th OVA pick just Pelletier + Ruzicka + Huberdeau who is overpaid by about 2.5 Mil compared to other top line wingers like Svechnikov, Marchand even Stamkos is paid 1.5 mil less than Huberdeau and all 3 of them are way better players. Compare that to the .5-1 mil that Anderson is overpaid by and the contract lengths and age difference when the contracts end and I will take Anderson over Huberdeau every time!
      LumberJacques liked this.
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 6:43 a.m.
      Quoting: Campabee
      You never sent the 13th OVA pick just Pelletier + Ruzicka + Huberdeau who is overpaid by about 2.5 Mil compared to other top line wingers like Svechnikov, Marchand even Stamkos is paid 1.5 mil less than Huberdeau and all 3 of them are way better players. Compare that to the .5-1 mil that Anderson is overpaid by and the contract lengths and age difference when the contracts end and I will take Anderson over Huberdeau every time!

Coronato was taken with a 13th OA pick.
      KingofRnR liked this.
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 7:13 a.m.
      Trade 1 I'd do. It might seem a little light on the return for Huberdeau but he's overpaid by a million or so too so it's probably about right.
      Trade 2 I wouldn't do. Weegar is by far the best player in that trade. He's on a fair value contract (not overpaid) and shouldn't be traded.
      Trade 3 I wouldn't do. Maybe if the picks were the other way around but no way we're retaining on Looch taking on cap dump Kerfoot and trading down on picks too.
      Trade 4 I'd do. Hanifin would be a pretty good direct replacement for Chychrun but I don't know if Arizona would be interested in a direct replacement.
      Trade 5 I'd do. Two 1sts and Zary is fair value for Meier. I don't know if he'll sign an extension under 9 mil though, in fact it might take more like 9.5 mil.
      Trade 6 I might do.
      Trade 7 I wouldn't do. It's the oilers after all the Flames aren't going to be doing them any favors like that.
      KingofRnR liked this.
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 7:54 a.m.
      Quoting: MoxNix
      Coronato was taken with a 13th OA pick.

Where is he in the original package? He isn't there!
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 8:07 a.m.
      Quoting: MoxNix
      Trade 1 I'd do. It might seem a little light on the return for Huberdeau but he's overpaid by a million or so too so it's probably about right.
      Trade 2 I wouldn't do. Weegar is by far the best player in that trade. He's on a fair value contract (not overpaid) and shouldn't be traded.
      Trade 3 I wouldn't do. Maybe if the picks were the other way around but no way we're retaining on Looch taking on cap dump Kerfoot and trading down on picks too.
      Trade 4 I'd do. Hanifin would be a pretty good direct replacement for Chychrun but I don't know if Arizona would be interested in a direct replacement.
      Trade 5 I'd do. Two 1sts and Zary is fair value for Meier. I don't know if he'll sign an extension under 9 mil though, in fact it might take more like 9.5 mil.
      Trade 6 I might do.
      Trade 7 I wouldn't do. It's the oilers after all the Flames aren't going to be doing them any favors like that.

Dach is worth Huberdeau + Rudzika (based on age, skill, contract, position and prime years), Anderson is worth Pelletier + 2023 1st (in the 20+ range). So that means Montreal is giving away half of Anderson’s valueand Farrell and Kidney for free, it's no wonder you would take that 1st package it is completely fleecing the Habs! It's kind of like us offering Caufield + Struble + Farrell for Lindholm + Hanafin + Coronato + Wolf, you wouldn't do it any more than the Habs would do this trade!!!
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 8:21 a.m.
      Bedard23
      We’re not really in the mood to retain anyone’s salary for us when we still have to for Kane and likely Domi
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 9:03 a.m.
      Id do that as leafs not sure we have cap for it
      KingofRnR liked this.
      Feb. 25, 2023 at 12:34 p.m.
      TrevorA
      Quoting: IconicHawk
      We’re not really in the mood to retain anyone’s salary for us when we still have to for Kane and likely Domi

CHI can only retain 50% on Kane MAX and NYR are going to need him 75% retained, so a 3rd Team will need to be involved.

I imagine NYR sends you something like Kakko (cap reasons) and Kravtsov and ask you to pay for the additional 25% retention.

CHI would still have 2 retention spots available to retain on Domi and AA or whoever after the Kane Trade

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll