SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion Thread (Part 6: Quest for the Cup)

Apr. 28, 2023 at 7:07 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
I kind of want 11-7 as Gustafsson has a nasty point shot and imagine him and Rielly rotating PPU1

Just shell Vas lul

Who plays at 5v5 with Gio though? Not Gustafsson, it would end up being Holl
Apr. 28, 2023 at 11:23 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Regardless of the result in these playoffs, I want Keefe gone. He is the single largest detriment to the team. We need someone better
Saskleaf, oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 11:25 a.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
Regardless of the result in these playoffs, I want Keefe gone. He is the single largest detriment to the team. We need someone better

give me assistant captain of the sunnyvale hockey team, coach bubbles.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 11:33 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: leafs101
give me assistant captain of the sunnyvale hockey team, coach bubbles.

Hire Ricky as the head of player development and we are set
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 11:50 a.m.
Hire Ricky as the head of player development and we are set

at least he knows the lineup isn't rocket appliances, won't go changing it nonsensically every 2 shifts
Apr. 28, 2023 at 12:11 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

Name your replacement choices please.
I don't disagree with you.
Saskleaf and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

What sucks is we can’t even promote from within, cause Greg Moore is just as ****.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 12:35 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
Well, the buds let another chance slip by. Reading through your comments, I agree that Holl had a bad game and yet it was still basically a 1 goal game (empty netter I know). Sammy let in one real soft goal and that was the difference. Not to mention the blatant high sticking non-call on Knies late in the third. It's so easy to throw the low hanging fruit under the bus, but at the same time here we are, still one win away from moving on! I really think the boys can get it done this year. I think they should run this lineup in on the road:

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Kerfy - JT - Marner
Knies - ROR - Acciari
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Lafferty

Moving Knies to ROR's line spreads the offensive threat across three lines. Bunting is most effective with Matthews, Kerfoot has played with with JT and Marner and quite honestly Jarnkrok hasn't really done anything in the top 6. As much hate as Holl is getting I think they leave the D the same.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 12:36 p.m.
Quoting: BigDaddyOvech
Well, the buds let another chance slip by. Reading through your comments, I agree that Holl had a bad game and yet it was still basically a 1 goal game (empty netter I know). Sammy let in one real soft goal and that was the difference. Not to mention the blatant high sticking non-call on Knies late in the third. It's so easy to throw the low hanging fruit under the bus, but at the same time here we are, still one win away from moving on! I really think the boys can get it done this year. I think they should run this lineup in on the road:

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Kerfy - JT - Marner
Knies - ROR - Acciari
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Lafferty

Moving Knies to ROR's line spreads the offensive threat across three lines. Bunting is most effective with Matthews, Kerfoot has played with with JT and Marner and quite honestly Jarnkrok hasn't really done anything in the top 6. As much hate as Holl is getting I think they leave the D the same.

swap Kerf and Jarnkrok and I am ok with these lines. Kerf can't shoot well enough, would rather have Marner equipped with two finishers on his line.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Then your asking for Dubas to be gone

They glued to the hip

If MLSE fires keefe he and Dubas will be on another team come the summer and we're boned
Saskleaf and oneX liked this.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.

They glued to the hip

I don't think that. If you offer Kyle a deal but tell him to get a new coach I don't think that makes him jump ship. I do think Shanahan will have to take a lesser role, though.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 12:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I don't think that. If you offer Kyle a deal but tell him to get a new coach I don't think that makes him jump ship. I do think Shanahan will have to take a lesser role, though.

Dubas has his guys look at the asstants in the organization most are from the SOO. Matt Murray's goalie mentor works for them from the SOO days. Dubas has his guys
Apr. 28, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
Dubas has his guys look at the asstants in the organization most are from the SOO. Matt Murray's goalie mentor works for them

sure but he's also not afraid to make changes and go for big swings

just because the coach has run his course doesnt mean he's stubborn enough to leave to somewhere where he might not necessarily be able to just bring sheldon along
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
sure but he's also not afraid to make changes and go for big swings

just because the coach has run his course doesnt mean he's stubborn enough to leave to somewhere where he might not necessarily be able to just bring sheldon along

In general will leave it with this Dubas had the chance to fire Keefe last year and hire Cassidy what happened nothing. Better coach available and he stuck to his guy. Got a feeling if he got an extension as GM so would Keefe as that's his guy and that outcome would imply they won the series. Only 2 ways we see Keefe gone is if Leafs blow this series but if that happens Dubas is also gone or allegations happen are proven true and he's fired.

So either this summer things stay the same or we see massive organizational and roster changes
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Trickster
Name your replacement choices please.
I don't disagree with you.

Obviously Bruce Boudreau is the big one. I get that his track record is no better, but I love his approach to the game. Many will point to his time in Vancouver as a weakness, but the start of his tenure was insane. I'd like to poach Andrew Brunette from the Devils. What he did with Florida last season was crazy, and the fact he ISN'T a head coach is crazy. We could also just promote a guy like Carbery who has been with us as the Assistant coach.

So my number one is Brunette. Number two is Boudreau. Number 3 is Carbery
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Obviously Bruce Boudreau is the big one. I get that his track record is no better, but I love his approach to the game. Many will point to his time in Vancouver as a weakness, but the start of his tenure was insane. I'd like to poach Andrew Brunette from the Devils. What he did with Florida last season was crazy, and the fact he ISN'T a head coach is crazy. We could also just promote a guy like Carbery who has been with us as the Assistant coach.

I don't want another playoff choking coach

I know what happened but if we look at everyone available Quinville has the resume and to me would be the guy. The major issue is hiring him
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
Amirov Forever

They glued to the hip

If MLSE fires keefe he and Dubas will be on another team come the summer and we're boned

Then it is what it is. If Dubas refuses to make our team better by hiring someone more competent, then it's time for a new GM. Give the job to Pridham or Gilman. Keefe's decision making has been the ultimate factor in every playoff series we have lost under him. He has been outcoached every single time. It's exhausting. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting the outcome to be different. That's what it is like being a Leafs fan. We keep throwing out these terrible lines and pairings that do not work and expect them to. We are up 3 - 2 in the series and I have zero confidence in this team succeeding right now. Like I said, we have been outclassed in every game so far with the exception of Game 2, yet we ignore that and just pray that we will continue to be so lucky. I hope I'm wrong (obviously), but right now all I can feel is the dread of enduring yet another first round exit.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Then it is what it is. If Dubas refuses to make our team better by hiring someone more competent, then it's time for a new GM. Give the job to Pridham or Gilman. Keefe's decision making has been the ultimate factor in every playoff series we have lost under him. He has been outcoached every single time. It's exhausting. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting the outcome to be different. That's what it is like being a Leafs fan. We keep throwing out these terrible lines and pairings that do not work and expect them to. We are up 3 - 2 in the series and I have zero confidence in this team succeeding right now. Like I said, we have been outclassed in every game so far with the exception of Game 2, yet we ignore that and just pray that we will continue to be so lucky. I hope I'm wrong (obviously), but right now all I can feel is the dread of enduring yet another first round exit.

He made the team better through other means and Keefe has good reg season success playoffs are different and there still is hockey to be played. As long as Holl ain't in the lineup should have it in 6 but who knows maybe they want to defeat the 7 demon like they did the 4-1 demon

As his team through his changes rallied back twice and almost did so a third time last night. Pressure is on everyone rn as if we look at last night's loss it was an elimination game special. Holl is useless, goalie allows a softie, big boyz miss on their chances, opposing goalie takes the W
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I don't want another playoff choking coach

Brunette and the Panthers atleast got passed the first round
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Brunette and the Panthers atleast got passed the first round

Anyone would have beat that WSH team goaltending and defense were bad. Not enough experience as that guy got swept by Cooper
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

I'm all in on Brunette.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.
Amirov Forever
He made the team better through other means and Keefe has good reg season success playoffs are different and there still is hockey to be played. As long as Holl ain't in the lineup should have it in 6 but who knows maybe they want to defeat the 7 demon like they did the 4-1 demon

Holl isn't the only issue. There's the matter of relying too heavily on Kerfoot. His refusal to split up Matthews and Marner. His poor line deployment. His refusal to carry momentum. His refusal to make our team better by playing a 20 goal, 50 point winger instead of a 4th liner who has contributed nothing to us so far. Keefe has a ton of short comings. Just because he is better than what we have had in recent memory does not mean he's good. Im sick of having to watch this team flounder against everyone else. Obviously I'm hoping we win the series, but I'm not holding my breath. I have no belief in this team. It's not just a reactionary thing, it's because we have sucked against Tampa. I hope I can come back to this take and laugh in a few days time
BigDaddyOvech, MatthewsFan and oneX liked this.
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Holl isn't the only issue. There's the matter of relying too heavily on Kerfoot. His refusal to split up Matthews and Marner. His poor line deployment. His refusal to carry momentum. His refusal to make our team better by playing a 20 goal, 50 point winger instead of a 4th liner who has contributed nothing to us so far. Keefe has a ton of short comings. Just because he is better than what we have had in recent memory does not mean he's good. Im sick of having to watch this team flounder against everyone else. Obviously I'm hoping we win the series, but I'm not holding my breath. I have no belief in this team. It's not just a reactionary thing, it's because we have sucked against Tampa. I hope I can come back to this take and laugh in a few days time

He's one of the biggest issues next to Sammy's inconsistencies and our ability to break out of the zone

74% goals scored have been with him. TSN and Sportsnet have shown clips this guys lost rn

This is a guy u can argue cost them game 5. Look at goal 1 and 2 the **** undoing on those playse answer being useles. Tampa is actively Targeting him rn as they know he's struggling and it's working as 14 goals of their 19 is concerning
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.
Amirov Forever
He's one of the biggest issues next to Sammy's inconsistencies and our ability to break out of the zone

74% goals scored have been with him. TSN and Sportsnet have shown clips this guys lost rn

This is a guy u can argue cost them game 5. Look at goal 1 and 2 the **** undoing on those playse answer being useles

And yet Keefe keeps on playing him. This isn't a new issue. What he sees in Holl is beyond me. That alone makes me want him gone. It is costing us big time. Gio - Lili was one of our best defensive pairings last year, but no, let's keep icing Gio - Holl which has been one of the worst pairings I have ever witnessed
Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 28, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
And yet Keefe keeps on playing him. This isn't a new issue. What he sees in Holl is beyond me. That alone makes me want him gone. It is costing us big time. Gio - Lili was one of our best defensive pairings last year, but no, let's keep icing Gio - Holl which has been one of the worst pairings I have ever witnessed

Because there are no alternatives Liligren or Gus coming in cold may not move the needle much or could be worse. It's a tough situation rn. If only Liligren didn't suck for a month he would be in rn and we could honestly use that confident guy from before the TDL

As idk u want to do

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Holl
Gio-Scenn

Could work or cause more problems

Holl just needs to get his head out his ass and just start playing.

But tomorrow got a feeling we see 11-7 will it work idk

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll