SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion Thread (Part 6: Quest for the Cup)

May 8, 2023 at 11:22 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: RipNasty
Blown to shreds is a massive overreaction. Looking at the stars as the problem for game 3 is silly. While yeah Marner was bad and no one scored, they have been unlucky in the round. The big problem is the inability to make adjustments when it's not going their way. That's on the coach and the coach alone. If your game plan isn't working change the game plan, you don't just hope it turns around and that is what Keefe does. Dubas fired Babcock for refusing to bend, now it's Keefe's turn.

I don’t care how “unlucky” they’ve been, this team has lost for 7 straight years. They suck when it matters most. Blowing it up is absolutely NOT an overreaction. If anything, it’s an under reaction that they haven’t blown it up until this point. Blow this team to shreds. It wouldn’t make me unhappy at all if the lineup next year featured 20 new players and new coaching and management. This team sucks.
May 8, 2023 at 11:34 a.m.
Go leafs go
Am I the only one who wants the leafs to get swept so we can just get it over with and see massive changes in the offseason?
May 8, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Edited May 8, 2023 at 12:00 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
I don’t care how “unlucky” they’ve been, this team has lost for 7 straight years. They suck when it matters most. Blowing it up is absolutely NOT an overreaction. If anything, it’s an under reaction that they haven’t blown it up until this point. Blow this team to shreds. It wouldn’t make me unhappy at all if the lineup next year featured 20 new players and new coaching and management. This team sucks.

Everyone can feel how ever they want, I’m with you, I want to see major changes. This is a flawed roster construction that needs to be fixed.

So much optimism when this happened

There is nothing they can do that would make be believe running the core 4 back makes any sense. If other fans see it otherwise so be it.

Matthews is the only one I care about, IF he doesn’t sign an extension this summer, then
burning-sinister.gif
May 8, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Am I the only one who wants the leafs to get swept so we can just get it over with and see massive changes in the offseason?

I would feel the same tbh
Saskleaf liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Everyone can feel how ever they want, I’m with you, I want to see major changes. This is a flawed roster construction that needs to be fixed.

So much optimism when this happened

There is nothing they can do that would make be believe running the core 4 back makes any sense. If other fans see it otherwise so be it.

Matthews is the only one I care about, IF he doesn’t sign an extension this summer, then
burning-sinister.gif

Looking back on it, I really liked the kind of forward group we had in that era of Leafs. Guys like Brown, Kadri, Hyman, and JVR are exactly what we are missing right now. Obviously the actual guys we had weren't necessarily the best, but the type of player we targeted then is sorely missed now. Somewhere in the middle of then and now for a forward group would be perfect. Less Matt Martin and more Noel Acciari if you catch my drift
MatthewsFan and Saskleaf liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Nathaniel
Looking back on it, I really liked the kind of forward group we had in that era of Leafs. Guys like Brown, Kadri, Hyman, and JVR are exactly what we are missing right now. Obviously the actual guys we had weren't necessarily the best, but the type of player we targeted then is sorely missed now. Somewhere in the middle of then and now for a forward group would be perfect. Less Matt Martin and more Noel Acciari if you catch my drift

When the chips are down this is what TOR is working with
FvnKa0TXoAYqrot?format=jpg&name=large

The culture is weak in TOR and that starts with Management. I am a hardcore Dubasite but THIS is his roster and his coach.

I said this before, I’ve never seen this team dumb the puck in as much as they have this playoffs. This felt like watching a completely different team.
May 8, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

May 8, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

May 8, 2023 at 12:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8, 2023 at 12:54 p.m.
I don’t care if they lose in game 7 quadruple overtime in this series, it’s still a massive failure.

Then this fanbase really is lost

Honestly first time winning a round in 19 years and some fans be acting like spoiled children

They push this to 7 its not a failure at all lul. As making it close from down 3-0 showed at least they fought back.

How long did it take Ovie to get out of the second round (17 years)

Its not as easy as people think lul. The second round is basically what the first round was for Toronto to other teams.

We just got out of the first for the first time in 19 years this is a new challenge now. We can see it aint easy

The Giannis quote sums things best. Its a step. Now we need to add to that step and build off the playoff win. We know the team still has work to do and changes that need to be made. Get em done and take the next step

Cause hey at least they didnt lose in the first round blowing a 3-1 like Boston.
May 8, 2023 at 12:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: RipNasty
Marner hasn't been good when it counts. At some point when do you hold him accountable for that? I am not saying he has to be traded but he was a no show the entire round and didn't do much to help us past Tampa either. Matthews, Nylander, Rielly and even JT at times all elevated their games and made major plays in the playoffs. Marner was just there.

People said the same thing about Kadri and look what happened. Hes got a ring and a FU quote for the ages

Guaranteed Marner is traded hes holding a cup and will be doing the Kadri line as knowing trade luck were gonna see the same luck CGY got when they traded Tkachuck for Huberdeau and Weegar
May 8, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan
When the chips are down this is what TOR is working with
FvnKa0TXoAYqrot?format=jpg&name=large

The culture is weak in TOR and that starts with Management. I am a hardcore Dubasite but THIS is his roster and his coach.

I said this before, I’ve never seen this team dumb the puck in as much as they have this playoffs. This felt like watching a completely different team.

This. Like I've said many times, I am a big time Dubas fan, but he is loyal to a fault. This team needs to be better across the board. They should be capable of achieving so much, but they don't.
MatthewsFan and Saskleaf liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 12:56 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle

Honestly first time winning a round in 19 years and some fans be acting like spoiled children

They push this to 7 its not a failure at all lul

How long did it take Nathan MacKinnon to get out of the second round

Its not as easy as people think lul

We just got out of the first for the first time in 19 years this is a new challenge now.

The Giannis quote sums things best. Its a step. Now we need to add to that step and build off the playoff win. We know the team still has work to do

Excuse me for being upset that my favourite team is getting their s*** kicked in. The fact that we won 1 round really shouldn't be celebrated as much as it is. It is pathetic that it took so damn look to finally do it. I'm glad that we finally showed that we can do it, but winning one round is not offering any consolation. If anything it's a reminder of just how much more work we need to do. The end goal isn't winning one round of four, and the fact that people act like this is some major stepping stone for us just shows how complacent our group has become with losing. I get you can't win the cup every year, but atleast show some fight. Have a shred of passion for the logo the front of the jersey. The work doesn't stop after 4 wins.

For the Giannis quote, yeah thats an awesome quote. The difference is that the Bucks have won something. We know they can do it. The Leafs? Not so much. Giannis said it himself, there are good days and bad days, but how many more bad days is it going to take until this team has a good one?
MatthewsFan, capsfan2121, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
Excuse me for being upset that my favourite team is getting their s*** kicked in. The fact that we won 1 round really shouldn't be celebrated as much as it is. It is pathetic that it took so damn look to finally do it. I'm glad that we finally showed that we can do it, but winning one round is not offering any consolation. If anything it's a reminder of just how much more work we need to do. The end goal isn't winning one round of four, and the fact that people act like this is some major stepping stone for us just shows how complacent our group has become with losing. I get you can't win the cup every year, but atleast show some fight. Have a shred of passion for the logo the front of the jersey. The work doesn't stop after 4 wins.

What people arent getting is there is still work to do. Big 4 are not producing and this is something we havent seen in a long time if ever

All goals have been depth guys. And while thats good its not helping us win. Big 4 need to start scoring as thats the only way they getting back in. Defense can be better especially McCabe and Brodie but rn the main focus getting those 4 going. As if they get going why might have ourselves a series and with leaf logic push this to 7 but who knows.

Game 3 not great but when u look there are multiple problems. Officiating being one sided only team this playoffs no PP in a game (100% they get one they probs take it 3-2). Defense being sloppy, Players brains turning off in the third. U could see it. Button explained it best Matthews and Marner are ghosts out there rn. Both are not playing like guys u want to build around

Almost 2 decades of not winning a round and then they finally do it and people are acting like this. I get the second round isnt going as hoped but still what we were expecting SCF after almost 7 years of not winning a round with this group thats pushing things. Knowing them they will probs push this to 6 or 7 but lets see maybe they even do something no one has seen and reverse sweep it has happened.
May 8, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
Amirov Forever
What people arent getting is there is still work to do. Big 4 are not producing and this is something we havent seen in a long time if ever

All goals have been depth guys. And while thats good its not helping us win. Big 4 need to start scoring as thats the only way they getting back in. Defense can be better especially McCabe and Brodie but rn the main focus getting those 4 going. As if they get going why might have ourselves a series and with leaf logic push this to 7 but who knows.

The last time the core 4 disappeared during a series was last series. It happens all the time. Our 4 big guns are some of the most talented players in the world, but they get outdone by guys like Sam Bennett. That's exactly why so many fans are advocating for change, because the voice we have behind the bench now isn't getting the best out of our best. I'll concede that the core 4 have never been as bad as they are against Florida, but the main idea remains the same. I don't know what it is with these guys, but they don't have it. They are losers. Obviously I want them to win, but I know better than to get my hopes up
Saskleaf liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
This for me, is spot on

May 8, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
I feel so bad for you guys
BigDaddyOvech and Saskleaf liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: capsfan2121
I feel so bad for you guys

The fanbase be special sometimes aint it lul

Win a round first time in almost 2 decades is all gonna equal nothing if they lose in the second round in any way shape or form. Could push it to 7 wont matter to some lul

Second round based on other teams histories is arguably harder than the first round heck u can say the second round was what the first round was to Toronto for other teams.

It took MacKinnon 9 years to get out of the second round. Ovie 17 years. We just got out of the first round for the first time since 2004 lul

As Giannis puts it steps
RipNasty liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Honestly as a one final experiment go for it. Maybe it gets em going

But keep Lafferty and Kampf together we want more of what they were doing

And I like the Dpairings

As McCabe-Brodie has been ass

Matthews-ROR-Nylander
Bunting-JT-Marner
Jarnkrok-Kampf-Lafferty
Kerfoot-Acciari

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liligren
Gustafsson-Holl
Schenn
May 8, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
More refreshed thoughts this morning. Outlook looks horrible and if this is how we go down there has to be change, I don't care if we got through a round this is inexcusable from our top players.

On the other hand - if the stars WERE hitting the scoresheet and we were down 3-0, our chances of coming back would be absolutely zero. But if they can start to fill the net like we know they can, we've been keeping games close purely on depth scoring.

So for the very reason that we're down 3 games - the stars not showing up - I do have some optimism about maybe making this a series again if the core can pull it together

Still mad, still highly unlikely, but ...
May 8, 2023 at 1:33 p.m.

Honestly as a one final experiment go for it. Maybe it gets em going

But keep Lafferty and Kampf together we want more of what they were doing

And I like the Dpairings

As McCabe-Brodie has been ass

Matthews-ROR-Nylander
Bunting-JT-Marner
Jarnkrok-Kampf-Lafferty
Kerfoot-Acciari

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liligren
Gustafsson-Holl
Schenn

Rielly-Schenn stays the same the rest idc
May 8, 2023 at 1:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8, 2023 at 1:55 p.m.
Quoting: leafs101
Rielly-Schenn stays the same the rest idc

No. Leafs need a proper 5 on 5 pairing and even that pairs had issues. Rielly-Brodie has worked and with Rielly being good in the playoffs till this point put him with Brodie as McCabe-Brodie has been terrible and were not gonna do

Rielly-Schenn
McCabe-Liligren
Gustafsson-Brodie
Holl
May 8, 2023 at 1:37 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
That's a whole other can of worms. It's really just a testament to how much of a boys club the NHL is and how toxic hockey culture is. But thats a discussion for another time.

Q is not the guy. He is a scumbag. End of story

Well said and I can't agree more. Tolerance of abuse, whether it be sexual or any kind in a professional sport is unacceptable, full stop. End of story, he should never coach again and honestly should face criminal charges imo.
NorthernLeafsFan05 and oneX liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 1:43 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
Also, Leafs in 7!
aadoyle liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: BigDaddyOvech
Also, Leafs in 7!

Gimmie more of this mindset right here

Reverse sweep 2014 kings style

Heck if we go out in 7 R2 thats a step not a big one but a step to build from
BigDaddyOvech liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
Go leafs go

They push this to 7 its not a failure at all lul. As making it close from down 3-0 showed at least they fought back.

How long did it take Ovie to get out of the second round (17 years)

Its not as easy as people think lul. The second round is basically what the first round was for Toronto to other teams.

We just got out of the first for the first time in 19 years this is a new challenge now. We can see it aint easy

The Giannis quote sums things best. Its a step. Now we need to add to that step and build off the playoff win. We know the team still has work to do and changes that need to be made. Get em done and take the next step

Cause hey at least they didnt lose in the first round blowing a 3-1 like Boston.

Don’t bring Gianni’s and Ovi into this, those guys have actually won it all. To use you own words about steps, at least they took steps every year. With Toronto it’s the same old crap year after year and fans have every right to be sick of it.

Also ps what the heck are you talking about when you say it took Ovi 17 years lol?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll