SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion Thread (Part 6: Quest for the Cup)

May 9, 2023 at 1:39 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 9, 2023 at 1:51 a.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
Do you not see the irony here? How exactly have us Toronto fans been "spoiled"? Like you said, we've one a single playoff round in nearly TWO DECADES. And by the way, that win has amounted to absolutely nothing so far. Seems like a weird angle to belittle Leafs fans for being unhappy about the results here, but you do you I guess. Idk how you can honestly, with a straight face, say that ". Thats a pretty good accomplishment in itself with the length people waited". No it isn't, it's absolutely pathetic, and now we are continuing to flounder and get outdone. I could really give a damn about Washinton and Colorado because their mediocrity doesn't justify our own. This team is genuinely such an enigma, and has bred a culture that is FAR too complacent with losing. This is the National Hockey League, not IP1. You get nothing for just showing up. We only have so much time to do something.

Because were gonna forget the fact we almost havent won a round in 2 decades and be like man this seasons a failure. If they broke the r1 loss record I would have agreed

But they took a step not a big one but a step is a step. They beat a team who went to the SCF 3 times in a row in the first round if your calling the season a failure cause of this second round idk what to say. FLA went through it and did they complain no. Just threw away Brunette and brought in Maurice. And people want Brunette oofff. Now im not saying this teams perfect heck still got work to do but they took a step now its time to build off it. U won round 1 and know what it takes but now u have learned r2 aint no cake walk. Got to do better.

From looking there are still pieces to add and this time big 4 need to be used to get em
May 9, 2023 at 1:45 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
Let me make one thing clear because I specifically am seeing this from you most of all. Yes the Leafs had not won a playoff series in 19 years but you may want to cut down on that because this core of players have only been around for 6 years.

I get there's pressure to win but just like this franchise has not won since 1967, these players were not around the last 19 years and 1967. The pressure they should be feeling is of the last 3-4 years at most.

What it feels like you're doing is giving this core a pass because of a round of success and all I can say is that's a loser's mentality. Cannot be happy with just a round of success especially if we consider that this core should have already had the round 1 success because these guys have had the talent and favourable matchups these past years.

Leafs dont look at 1967 as nobody was born then. Were looking at the now. Sure MLSE might but building a cup team who u expect to win a cup aint easy. Not everyone's crosby who wins in 4. Ovie took 14, Stamkos 12, MacKinnon 9, etc. Matthews and the group were alive when the team last won a round look at the 2004 over 1967. Remember, how many years did it take Ovie and the caps to win R2 14. Remember the Pitt vs. WSH stuff where WSH fans said blow it up its over. What they do they stuck to it. Ovie stayed, Holtby stayed, Backstrome and Carlsson stayed and they just built around them. As they were in almost the exact situation we are in now. Fans going not gonna work blow it up after they just tasted the second round rather than see what the issues are and address it. Nope blow it all sky high rebuild.

If this was any other team's fanbase who dealt with this they would be thrilled to have finally won a round for the first time in almost 20 years. Its progress to build from. Teams good enough to beat a team like Tampa but needs to learn its not just a 1 round show. MacKinnon learned that and his quote sums things best. Whether its Dubas or another GM time to build off what this run has taught. That there is still growth needed along with some pieces.

As like WSH we could be on the verge as remember those Pitt demons they used to have
May 9, 2023 at 1:48 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
I will say that I agree we arent making Bobs job hard enough - but i am also on record as saying bob hasnt actually been all that good. Just lucky.

Basically play more games like game 1 and 2, with some tweaks, and we will be fine. Play like we did in game 3 and we will be hitting tankathon early

Play like they did game 2 third period and big 4 score goals a reverse sweep may actually happen and if not at least a game 6 or 7 lul

Cause the fact games have been close without them scoring shows what could be if they wake the **** up
May 9, 2023 at 1:52 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Leafs dont look at 1967 as nobody was born then. Were looking at the now. Sure MLSE might but building a cup team who u expect to win a cup aint easy. Not everyone's crosby who wins in 4. Ovie took 14, Stamkos 12, MacKinnon 9, etc. Matthews and the group were alive when the team last won a round look at the 2004 over 1967. Remember, how many years did it take Ovie and the caps to win R2 14. Remember the Pitt vs. WSH stuff where WSH fans said blow it up its over. What they do they stuck to it. Ovie stayed, Holtby stayed, Backstrome and Carlsson stayed and they just built around them. As they were in almost the exact situation we are in now. Fans going not gonna work blow it up after they just tasted the second round rather than see what the issues are and address it. Nope blow it all sky high rebuild.

If this was any other team's fanbase who dealt with this they would be thrilled to have finally won a round for the first time in almost 20 years. Its progress to build from. Teams good enough to beat a team like Tampa but needs to learn its not just a 1 round show. MacKinnon learned that and his quote sums things best. Whether its Dubas or another GM time to build off what this run has taught. That there is still growth needed along with some pieces.

You missed my point.
This core has only been in the league for 6-ish years. I'm telling you, as a player the 19 year drought means nothing because these players were not in the league back then but they have been for the last 6. So... the only pressure they should be feeling is of the choking they've done the last few years.
May 9, 2023 at 2:06 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 9, 2023 at 2:16 a.m.
You missed my point.
This core has only been in the league for 6-ish years. I'm telling you, as a player the 19 year drought means nothing because these players were not in the league back then but they have been for the last 6. So... the only pressure they should be feeling is of the choking they've done the last few years.

The big pressure at the time for them and everyone said it win a round for the first time since 2004 after that we can talk cup or more progress. They did that. Now were learning k this groups got more work to do as all that round 1 momentum just left them game 6 and since then they been playing as if its game 7. Bob stole game 1 and 2 but hey this is what u sometimes deal with in the playoffs.

They already conquered 2 demons (not winning r1 and beating a team when they were down 4-1) but now its time to defeat some more

But hey beating a team who went to the SCF 3 times in R1 is a good start. As this was the only group to win a round since 2004 remember that. Even the 18-19 leafs with Vezina Freddie, Prime Muzzin, and a C core of Kadri, JT, Matthews didnt.

Only think they choked the MTL series remember that lul
May 9, 2023 at 7:39 a.m.
Rip
I'm wondering what you guys think about having an elite level D vs not having one. I mean we see the team not having one and so when Brodie and McCabe struggle there's not that elite level go-to guy that the coach can really lean on to help the guys that struggle.

I know someone is going to point to Rielly and really, I'm happy that he particularly has been very good but it's safe to say he's not a guy you can just pair with anyone and not be sweating over what is happening on the ice.

I'm really wondering this with the struggles on D.

The defence isn't the problem, Florida's offence is almost entirely quick strike offence. That's not the defence. It's the system. It's flawed and Keefe doesn't change anything.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
May 9, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.
Go leafs go
Leafs won a round for the first time in almost 2 decades or did people forget that. Fanbase be spoiled sometimes

No one cares. You don’t put up “first round champions” banners in your rink. It’s one of the lowest bars you can set for success. It’s not being spoiled to act like it doesn’t matter because it doesn’t. The goal here is WINNING THE CUP.
May 9, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Saskleaf
No one cares. You don’t put up “first round champions” banners in your rink. It’s one of the lowest bars you can set for success. It’s not being spoiled to act like it doesn’t matter because it doesn’t. The goal here is WINNING THE CUP.

You need the right coach to get there and the Leafs don't have that.
May 9, 2023 at 10:13 a.m.
Well boy's... looks like we're cooked
May 9, 2023 at 10:16 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000

Something new or are you just realizing we are in a deep hole?
May 9, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000

It’s not looking pretty but a little puck luck couldn’t hurt eh?
FvsYa3oWwAAm85C?format=jpg&name=medium
Saskleaf and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
May 9, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I can’t believe or I probably should but Matthews and Marner still being together
May 9, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: MatthewsFan

I can’t believe or I probably should but Matthews and Marner still being together

Keefe is the problem man.
May 9, 2023 at 2:32 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Really glad the solution to our problems is top 4 Justin Holl and no forward group changes. Awesome. Atleast they won't prolong my suffering
May 9, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Really glad the solution to our problems is top 4 Justin Holl and no forward group changes. Awesome. Atleast they won't prolong my suffering

I am just sad at this point, just wasting this roster. I realize Keefe will be able to get out some better matchups in OZone starts but still, after what they just performed in Game 3, how are you coming out with this.
May 9, 2023 at 3:06 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Look, this is definitely fair to say, but it's infuriating. These guys don't ever show an ounce of urgency or accountability in these media scrums. I get it's just a media scrum and ignoring the outside noise is good, but I wish for once they'd atleast show us that they have atleast some kind of drive. Not singling out mitch because this is across the board (aside from Nylander), but it's so annoying. New culture needed dearly
May 9, 2023 at 3:15 p.m.
Rip

What I can't understand is why no one on this thread blames Keefe for this
May 9, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
Rip

Look, this is definitely fair to say, but it's infuriating. These guys don't ever show an ounce of urgency or accountability in these media scrums. I get it's just a media scrum and ignoring the outside noise is good, but I wish for once they'd atleast show us that they have atleast some kind of drive. Not singling out mitch because this is across the board (aside from Nylander), but it's so annoying. New culture needed dearly

I would rather they just not talk to the media and just do their jobs
May 9, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: RipNasty
What I can't understand is why no one on this thread blames Keefe for this

I think everyone does. I know I do. I want him gone before this team even explores trading any of the core. He is the biggest detriment to the Leafs
RipNasty, Saskleaf, MatthewsFan and 1 other person liked this.
May 9, 2023 at 3:24 p.m.
Rip
I think everyone does. I know I do. I want him gone before this team even explores trading any of the core. He is the biggest detriment to the Leafs

Finally!!!! Absolutely
May 9, 2023 at 4:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Just waiting for Dubas and Keefe to leave this summer and go win a cup with CGY and then we be having another Kadri conversation again lul

Dont know whats missing till its gone

This series vs FLA big 4 dead in the water. Not coming to play but no lets go blame Keefe and Dubas. Dubas went in and gave them a nice supporting cast (Acciari playoff leader in hits, ROR good till this series, McCabe good till this series, Schenn love em but man rip Sammy lul, Lafferty had a game 3 to remember.

But knowing MLSE they gonna let the SOO duo go hire the Pitt duo that was just fired and RIP our sanity lul
May 9, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I would rather they just not talk to the media and just do their jobs

Im pretty sure everyone here has some gripe with Keefe. The only differences is the order in which we want changes to happen, and the severity of the issues we charge him with
May 9, 2023 at 4:06 p.m.
Rip
Just waiting for Dubas and Keefe to leave this summer and go win a cup with CGY and then we be having another Kadri conversation again lul

Keefe is the new Bruce Boudreau, very good in the regular season but no idea how to handle the playoffs.
May 9, 2023 at 4:06 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Random2152
Im pretty sure everyone here has some gripe with Keefe. The only differences is the order in which we want changes to happen, and the severity of the issues we charge him with

He's all the problem. You just don't give up on a core this talented. You find the coach who gets the most out of them. Keefe isn't that guy
May 9, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
He's all the problem.

I don't believe that for 1 single second

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll