SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Playoff Discussion Thread #2: Ryan Suter is the biggest bird

May 11, 2023 at 11:14 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
No respect should be given for that slash. That is not leadership (at least not in a good/competitive way). If he delivered a solid body check maybe but not that hack job. If he stood up McDavid or Draisatl and then packed their **** then sure send a message but not what he did.

I respect the display of the will to win, that people have that inside of them.. Not the same as admiring the act. Like I can see why Vegas is good when their leadership has members willing to do what Petro did, which was way across the line. Same with Florida.

Win at all costs creates intriguing competition from many angles. The Vegas Edmonton series just got much more intriguing.

Pietro was targeted pretty heavily the last 2 games, mostly legal and mostly between the whistles. Vegas doesn’t seem to have an answer for it, and if it continues as is it could cost Vegas the series. It’s nice to see that Pietro has it in him to do something crazy to change that. I have less respect for players who just take it and do nothing.

But I certainly don’t admire stick fouls of any kind and think he’s probably feeling pretty stupid right now since the best player in hockey is directly calling for a suspension.
May 11, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.
Quoting: oilersguy
Bouchard is the John Carlson of his generation

He led the defense with 6 hits. When is the last time Carlson did that?
oilersguy liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

Nurse 1 game automatic suspension likely incoming

Weak call. It doesn't even qualify as an instigator.

He shouldn't get a game, but knowing DOPS he will.
oilersguy liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I respect the display of the will to win, that people have that inside of them.. Not the same as admiring the act. Like I can see why Vegas is good when their leadership has members willing to do what Petro did, which was way across the line.

Thus deserving a multi-game suspension.
oilersguy liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 12:25 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I respect the display of the will to win, that people have that inside of them.. Not the same as admiring the act. Like I can see why Vegas is good when their leadership has members willing to do what Petro did, which was way across the line. Same with Florida.

Win at all costs creates intriguing competition from many angles. The Vegas Edmonton series just got much more intriguing.

Pietro was targeted pretty heavily the last 2 games, mostly legal and mostly between the whistles. Vegas doesn’t seem to have an answer for it, and if it continues as is it could cost Vegas the series. It’s nice to see that Pietro has it in him to do something crazy to change that. I have less respect for players who just take it and do nothing.

But I certainly don’t admire stick fouls of any kind and think he’s probably feeling pretty stupid right now since the best player in hockey is directly calling for a suspension.

The Will To Win - by Berton Braley

Quoting: Berton
If you want a thing bad enough
To go out and fight for it,
Work day and night for it,
Give up your time and your peace and
your sleep for it

If only desire of it
Makes you quite mad enough
Never to tire of it,
Makes you hold all other things tawdry
and cheap for it

If life seems all empty and useless without it
And all that you scheme and you dream is about it,

If gladly you'll sweat for it,
Fret for it, Plan for it,
Lose all your terror of God or man for it,

If you'll simply go after that thing that you want.
With all your capacity,
Strength and sagacity,
Faith, hope and confidence, stern pertinacity,

If neither cold poverty, famished and gaunt,
Nor sickness nor pain
Of body or brain
Can turn you away from the thing that you want,

If dogged and grim you besiege and beset it,
You'll get it!

The Will to Win - by Alex Pietrangelo

Quoting: Alex
If you want a thing bad enough
To go out and slash for it,
Cheat day and night for it,
Give up your honor and your respect and
your pride for it

If penalized and suspended you besiege and beset it,
You'll get it!
CantStopWontStop and CD282 liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: capsfan2121
How can we get Nhl digital ads banned

They would have to be proven to be something that loses the league money. But from the looks of things that aint happening
capsfan2121 liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 4:09 p.m.
I make typos
WHAT THE ****!!!, Nurse is getting suspend because he punched back after Hague punched him first, so freaking stupid
CD282 liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Nurse getting suspended for actually breaking the rules.
Rare Parros W.
A_Habs_fan, aadoyle and capsfan2121 liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
If you go by what Parros said when he took the role, Pietrangelo is in a bad spot. Here’s a snip and link to nhl.com article:

"I've always thought that they could have been a bit harsher on certain plays that I felt where clearly someone intended to do something that was away from the play, had nothing to do with the game and no benefit other than to disable or hurt a person," Parros said. "Just trying to go a little bit harder on those, because I felt it's been soft in some instances."Parros initial statements
May 11, 2023 at 4:16 p.m.
WHAT THE ****!!!, Nurse is getting suspend because he punched back after Hague punched him first, so freaking stupid

Dude I don't know what you watched; but Hague is tied up with Foegele who throws an errant backhanded elbow at Hague. Then Nurse rolls in squared up and tries to take him on the boards with gloves dropped. NOBODY can say that Hague instigated that fight or threw the first punch. Hague didn't even have both hands at the ready when Nurse jumped him. I don't care what happened before that sequence, this was Nurse jumping in on a guy that is tied up already and trying get the drop on him because he isn't ready.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 4:20 p.m.
I make typos
Dude I don't know what you watched; but Hague is tied up with Foegele who throws an errant backhanded elbow at Hague. Then Nurse rolls in squared up and tries to take him on the boards with gloves dropped. NOBODY can say that Hague instigated that fight or threw the first punch. Hague didn't even have both hands at the ready when Nurse jumped him. I don't care what happened before that sequence, this was Nurse jumping in on a guy that is tied up already and trying get the drop on him because he isn't ready.

its called a BOARD BATTLE! it happens all the time, Since when does participating in scrum warrant a suspension? Nurse wears an "A" for a reason, he stands up for his teammates
May 11, 2023 at 4:49 p.m.
Quoting: Tintin
Nurse getting suspended for actually breaking the rules.
Rare Parros W.

Yep, that's upholding the rulebook, Nurse came down and immediately went after Hague, that's an instigator and since he did it in the last 5 minutes of play, an automatic 1 game
May 11, 2023 at 4:51 p.m.
Go Habs Go
its called a BOARD BATTLE! it happens all the time, Since when does participating in scrum warrant a suspension? Nurse wears an "A" for a reason, he stands up for his teammates

You can't be the third man in the last 5 minutes. It's to stop sore losers from "sending a message" (though it's not as effective as it should be because the league doesn't have the balls to call the book).
The suspension is automatic. Everyone knows the rule.
It would take evidence to the contrary to reverse the call and negate the suspension. Nurse is not innocent.

Now Pietrangelo needs to be handed a multiple game suspension for attempting to injure the leading playoff scorer.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 5:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
For people who are mad about the Nurse **** there is a rule for that. And they had to do it in order to get Pitrangelo Friedman said it

Both should have 1 game and done
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 5:10 p.m.

If Foegele did it then yes. Nurse wasn't involved in the "board battle". It's not complicated.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 5:15 p.m.
I make typos
If Foegele did it then yes. Nurse wasn't involved in the "board battle". It's not complicated.

literally never heard of this rule in my life, when was the last time the rule was used
May 11, 2023 at 5:29 p.m.
literally never heard of this rule in my life, when was the last time the rule was used

You orginally said it was a "board battle" but Nurse wasn't even involved in any board battle with Hague. Foegele was with Hague. Nurse jumped Hague; he wasn't "participating in a scrum". You can't start the review once the two of them start trading shots; it was Nurse with gloves already dropped charging into Hague who was mixed up with Foegele. Take off your Oilers goggles.

here is the actual rule (which used to called a LOT of times but hasn't been needed as much over the last 5 or so years):

Rule 7.11 (c)

A Match penalty may be assessed in extreme cases, where a player attacks an unsuspecting opponent, or continues to throw punches at a player who is not retaliating or is defenseless or is being actively restrained by a Referee or Linesperson, if it is the opinion of the Referee that such action constitutes a deliberate attempt to injure or causes a deliberate injury. These actions would be penalized under Rule 7.1 (c) – Attempt to Injure or Deliberate Injury.
May 11, 2023 at 5:49 p.m.
Go Habs Go
You orginally said it was a "board battle" but Nurse wasn't even involved in any board battle with Hague. Foegele was with Hague. Nurse jumped Hague; he wasn't "participating in a scrum". You can't start the review once the two of them start trading shots; it was Nurse with gloves already dropped charging into Hague who was mixed up with Foegele. Take off your Oilers goggles.

here is the actual rule (which used to called a LOT of times but hasn't been needed as much over the last 5 or so years):

Rule 7.11 (c)

A Match penalty may be assessed in extreme cases, where a player attacks an unsuspecting opponent, or continues to throw punches at a player who is not retaliating or is defenseless or is being actively restrained by a Referee or Linesperson, if it is the opinion of the Referee that such action constitutes a deliberate attempt to injure or causes a deliberate injury. These actions would be penalized under Rule 7.1 (c) – Attempt to Injure or Deliberate Injury.

The Nurse ruling is 46.12 and 46.21 in the NHL rulebook.
https://scoutingtherefs.com/nhl-rules/
A_Habs_fan and HockeyScotty liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 7:00 p.m.

Rule 7.11 (c)

That’s not at all the rule used, as @ricochetii points out, rule 46.21 was used

ricochetii and HockeyScotty liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 8:25 p.m.
Pietrangelo got 1 game, before Oilers fans complain and compare to Nurse, Nurse’s 1 game was automatic per the rule book, can’t really compare them, though yes, I’d have given Pietrangelo at least 2 games
CantStopWontStop and oilersguy liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 8:28 p.m.
I make typos
Edited May 11, 2023 at 9:31 p.m.
Nurse fights a willing oppoint who threw the first 8 shots and who asked to fight at the faceoff, gets 1 game

Pietrangelo 2 hand slashes the leagues leading playoff point scorer directly in the hands when the puck was no where near him, gets 1 game
CD282 liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 8:34 p.m.
Go Habs Go
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/golden-knights-pietrangelo-suspended-one-game-for-slash-on-oilers-draisaitl/

I'm utterly shocked at this completely expected slap on the wrist. rolling eyes

Open season on the league's leading goal scorer. Hell, just lumberjack anyone who is giving you trouble on the other team.
Goalie making too many saves? CHOP! Someone scoring too much? CHOP! Hague being too rough? CHOP!
Less hockey, more medieval melee battles!
CD282 liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 8:38 p.m.
Edited May 11, 2023 at 8:46 p.m.
Pietrangelo got 1 game, before Oilers fans complain and compare to Nurse, Nurse’s 1 game was automatic per the rule book, can’t really compare them, though yes, I’d have given Pietrangelo at least 2 games

I feel it’s likely the Oilers will still want their pound of flesh. I don’t think handing out these sentences on the same day was wise from the perspective of relieving the animosity in the series or protecting player safety, both of which should be DOPS goal. It was probably the correct thing to do to give Pietrangelo a punishment larger than Nurse, whether it be 1-0 games or 2-1 games.

But we’ll see.

Added: the league represents the owners, not fairness. The nhl is a private organization with unionized employees whose role is to maximize the profit of its individual club owners. It is important to remember what the NHL is at times like this. Its mission is not to provide the fairest playing field, it is to make money, and one single man is the judge, jury, and executioner.
ricochetii liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 9:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Idk we have seen worse not get called. At least this was given a game. Could have ignored it like the Eberle and Bennett stuff

Anyways 1 for each enough to deliver calm heads. Both wont have their big dman so lets see

If Drai was hurt would have probs got 2 games
HockeyScotty liked this.
May 11, 2023 at 9:17 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Is it ok if Leaf fans compare a vicious two handed chop to Bunting getting 3 games?
Saskleaf and CD282 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll