RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 2
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, RW
UFA
$855,000$855,000 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,450,000$2,450,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
RFA - 1
$3,450,000$3,450,000
G
UFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 11, 2023 at 11:56 p.m.
Banned
Need a higher pick for Seeler for sure, has to be a third at least
May 12, 2023 at 12:04 a.m.
Chicago
I've been wondering... How do MIN fans view the buyouts? A lot of people praised Bill G for pulling the trigger and biting the bullet here, but this team hasn't gone anywhere in the playoffs. Sure it opened a couple roster spots up for younger players, but realistically, you move Dumba (Long overdue) and have more cap space available. Parise is making league minimum for a reason, and I get it. He's not effective anymore. Suter is still a top 4 D in DAL playing important minutes. I dunno. Seems like it may have given other players a chance to grow, but the team went nowhere.
May 12, 2023 at 12:21 a.m.
Quoting: NickC1988
I've been wondering... How do MIN fans view the buyouts? A lot of people praised Bill G for pulling the trigger and biting the bullet here, but this team hasn't gone anywhere in the playoffs. Sure it opened a couple roster spots up for younger players, but realistically, you move Dumba (Long overdue) and have more cap space available. Parise is making league minimum for a reason, and I get it. He's not effective anymore. Suter is still a top 4 D in DAL playing important minutes. I dunno. Seems like it may have given other players a chance to grow, but the team went nowhere.

The buyouts were a good move for a lot of reasons but the cap situation this year and next were kinda written into stone over 5 years ago. Word is BG originally only wanted to buyout Suter b/c he was an ass hat, Parise’s play in the bubble showed he was cooked. The buyouts were to MN what trading Kane was to CHI.

I don’t think there was any real expectations for success and they’ve largely over performed with their roster, but fans think every year is a cup year so whatevs. One positive the buyouts had was allowing for Fiala to have his breakout year in MN before they traded him, thus bringing back 2 big pieces we otherwise wouldn’t have had in Faber and the 22 1st.
May 12, 2023 at 12:32 a.m.
I'd take this for Seeler. Petrovsky is solid
lafavs and MNCountryClub liked this.
May 12, 2023 at 1:01 a.m.
Quoting: Samsoc22

You might be right, I think a 3rd seems fair. I think a 2nd by itself is too steep. But the Wild have no 3rd or 4th in this draft or next, so they can't meet that ask. My original version of that trade, I had the Wild giving up their extra 2nd-round pick (from VGK) for the surplus 3rd Philly got from FLA, and it also included Goligoski going to the Flyers. You could make an argument that giving up roughly 30 draft spots for Seeler there could be worth it, and there's some symmetry to the teams swapping extra picks to move back into a round they won't otherwise be involved in this year. Talked myself out of it though and substituted Petrovsky, who at least has a little bit of juice as a prospect. (Also not sure how much use Philly has for Goligoski the more I thought about it.)

I like Seeler a lot, and obviously given the Wild's cap crunch, the fact he makes the league minimum next year is ideal. He potentially replaces some grit they'll lose letting Reaves walk, he's fairly responsible defensively. He's an excellent fit IMHO. But I personally think a 3rd rounder is about the most Flyers fans should expect to fetch in return for Seeler. He's still a third-pair Dman who averaged 14 and a half minutes a game and had 14 points, which was a career high as a pro. And he's only signed for one more year before the Wild would have to either give him a raise they probably can't afford or, more likely, let him walk. Maybe flip him for something at the deadline if the team sucks or if one or more of the kids in Iowa looks like they're ready to step in at some point.
Farabee and Samsoc22 liked this.
May 12, 2023 at 1:55 a.m.

Parise has been extremely effective with NYI and had 21 goals this year making league minimum. The reason is that he already got paid and just wants to play on LI
chealy2 liked this.
May 12, 2023 at 7:42 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: lafavs
You might be right, I think a 3rd seems fair. I think a 2nd by itself is too steep. But the Wild have no 3rd or 4th in this draft or next, so they can't meet that ask. My original version of that trade, I had the Wild giving up their extra 2nd-round pick (from VGK) for the surplus 3rd Philly got from FLA, and it also included Goligoski going to the Flyers. You could make an argument that giving up roughly 30 draft spots for Seeler there could be worth it, and there's some symmetry to the teams swapping extra picks to move back into a round they won't otherwise be involved in this year. Talked myself out of it though and substituted Petrovsky, who at least has a little bit of juice as a prospect. (Also not sure how much use Philly has for Goligoski the more I thought about it.)

I like Seeler a lot, and obviously given the Wild's cap crunch, the fact he makes the league minimum next year is ideal. He potentially replaces some grit they'll lose letting Reaves walk, he's fairly responsible defensively. He's an excellent fit IMHO. But I personally think a 3rd rounder is about the most Flyers fans should expect to fetch in return for Seeler. He's still a third-pair Dman who averaged 14 and a half minutes a game and had 14 points, which was a career high as a pro. And he's only signed for one more year before the Wild would have to either give him a raise they probably can't afford or, more likely, let him walk. Maybe flip him for something at the deadline if the team sucks or if one or more of the kids in Iowa looks like they're ready to step in at some point.

I agree I think a 2nd for him is probably a little bit much and a 3rd is just right so idk how they would make it work but if they really wanted him that bad I’m sure both teams would find a way to balance the trade I mean it’s only Seeler we are talking about not like McDavid lol
May 12, 2023 at 9:59 a.m.
Quoting: Samsoc22

Assuming the trade maybe changed from it's original?

If not, I wouldn't be turned off by Petrovsky based on draft position. Kid is solid and if you got offered him and a pick for Seeler, that's a snap accept all day. Wild wouldn't do that, but it's a no-brainer from PHI side.

I'd be shocked if you got a 3rd for Seeler, as much as I love him and am biased towards MN kids. Maybe at the deadline, but I don't see it for a 3rd pair/7th D tweener.
Samsoc22 liked this.
May 12, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.

As an Isles fan, I think it's hilarious that Minnesota has tied up roughly $9MM in cap space the last two seasons for Parise to score 36 goals for the Islanders on a league minimum contract.
chealy2 liked this.
May 12, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: Islesforthecup
Parise has been extremely effective with NYI and had 21 goals this year making league minimum. The reason is that he already got paid and just wants to play on LI

The buyouts were mostly about cost certainty, based on everything I've read. Trading them without retaining salary was going to be difficult, given their declining performance and high price tags (and NMCs). And if one or both of them opted to retire before their contracts were completed, the Wild faced paying a recapture penalty. The buyouts suck, no doubt, but Guerin seemingly preferred to know exactly how much money he had to work with every year rather than making moves based on an assumption that he'd have more and then having the rug pulled out from under him.
May 12, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: drmantalban
Assuming the trade maybe changed from it's original?

If not, I wouldn't be turned off by Petrovsky based on draft position. Kid is solid and if you got offered him and a pick for Seeler, that's a snap accept all day. Wild wouldn't do that, but it's a no-brainer from PHI side.

I'd be shocked if you got a 3rd for Seeler, as much as I love him and am biased towards MN kids. Maybe at the deadline, but I don't see it for a 3rd pair/7th D tweener.

You might be correct and maybe the Wild wouldn't go for this trade. You never know trading an 18-year-old prospect if you're going to end up regretting it, but given how flush the Wild pipeline is with more highly regarded prospects and Petrovsky's smallish stature (eliteprospects lists him as 5'9" and 170 lbs), it felt like a deal BG could make and live with the outcome. Petrovsky was a 6th rounder a year ago coming off a season nearly identical to his '22-23 campaign, so it's hard to imagine his stock has appreciated that much to price himself out of a deal like this. But maybe the swap of draft picks included in that deal makes it an overpayment for Minnesota.

I notice in a lot of these Armchair-GM simulations that people overvalue players on their favorite team and create trade scenarios that are completely unrealistic. I wanted to avoid doing that, so I tried to put myself in the shoes of the other team's GM (or more realistically, their fanbase lol) in any deal I tried to build. I feel good about the fact I've had at least one Flyers fan and one Wild fan saying they don't think their team would do that trade haha.
MNCountryClub liked this.
May 12, 2023 at 4:42 p.m.
You might be correct and maybe the Wild wouldn't go for this trade. You never know trading an 18-year-old prospect if you're going to end up regretting it, but given how flush the Wild pipeline is with more highly regarded prospects and Petrovsky's smallish stature (eliteprospects lists him as 5'9" and 170 lbs), it felt like a deal BG could make and live with the outcome. Petrovsky was a 6th rounder a year ago coming off a season nearly identical to his '22-23 campaign, so it's hard to imagine his stock has appreciated that much to price himself out of a deal like this. But maybe the swap of draft picks included in that deal makes it an overpayment for Minnesota.

I notice in a lot of these Armchair-GM simulations that people overvalue players on their favorite team and create trade scenarios that are completely unrealistic. I wanted to avoid doing that, so I tried to put myself in the shoes of the other team's GM (or more realistically, their fanbase lol) in any deal I tried to build. I feel good about the fact I've had at least one Flyers fan and one Wild fan saying they don't think their team would do that trade haha.

Yeah not saying Petrovsky is untouchable, but guys like Seeler are a dime a dozen and there's just no real reason to spend draft capital on them. In all reality, his value is barely above future considerations.

I like Seeler, but he isn't really any different than Beaulieu, Burroughs, Englund, Tinordi, etc. That's off the top of my head and 3 of the 4 are all pending UFAs this summer, while Tinordi was a waiver claim last year. Those scrappy 7th D are always looking for jobs and easy to find.

Seels would be a press box player on almost every single playoff team, and certainly a press box player on any team making it past the 1st round. I'd take him for a 6th or 7th if you can dump Goose or Merrill, but otherwise meh...?
lafavs liked this.
May 13, 2023 at 9:55 p.m.
The buyouts were mostly about cost certainty, based on everything I've read. Trading them without retaining salary was going to be difficult, given their declining performance and high price tags (and NMCs). And if one or both of them opted to retire before their contracts were completed, the Wild faced paying a recapture penalty. The buyouts suck, no doubt, but Guerin seemingly preferred to know exactly how much money he had to work with every year rather than making moves based on an assumption that he'd have more and then having the rug pulled out from under him.

I wasn’t talking about any of that. You said there’s a reason Parise is making league minimum, the reason is bc he’s willing to take less to play on LI. He could easily get 3.5 on the open market
May 16, 2023 at 12:08 a.m.
Quoting: Islesforthecup
I wasn’t talking about any of that. You said there’s a reason Parise is making league minimum, the reason is bc he’s willing to take less to play on LI. He could easily get 3.5 on the open market

Someone else asked about the buyouts, I was merely piggybacking on your thoughts with my own answer. I said nothing about Parise's contract with the Isles, that was someone else.
May 16, 2023 at 12:53 a.m.

I said it was dumb at the time, especially Suter and I still think so now. 8 years of dead cap is way too much.
-Parise would have been cheaper to have on the team than it is to replace him. Even as a league min player this season his 21g would have been 6th on the Wild, and his 12 5v5 goals would have been 3rd.
-Suter is better than all the LD in MN not named Brodin. It would have been cheaper to keep him on the team than it is to replace him.

Suter didn't really open up any roster spots. MN just went out and signed Goli, Kulikov (then dumped for nothing), and Merril that offseason. They had to trade for Middleton in the season because the guys they signed couldn't play with Spurgeon.
Parise opened up a roster spot for a 4th line plug (who got replaced with a trade during the season). At best it could be argued it opened up a spot for Boldy.

The supposed cap savings were a joke because they had more than enough cap this season, and the season before just dumping Rask (got sent through waivers and then dumped) would have had the same cap effect. Goli + Suter buyout was roughly the same cost the last 2 seasons. Goli was sitting in the pressbox to start each of the last 2 Playoffs.
May 16, 2023 at 1:33 a.m.
Someone else asked about the buyouts, I was merely piggybacking on your thoughts with my own answer. I said nothing about Parise's contract with the Isles, that was someone else.

Oh my bad that’s what I was commenting on.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll