Thoughts on this trade

Created by: CapFriendlysFinest
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 16, 2023
Published: May 16, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Thoughts on these trades:
1. Nylander for Sillenger, 2nd and 4th. Reasoning: I think Sillenger has a lot of upside but is a huge risk for us. I think this deal clearly favours the Jackets as an 80 point player for a good prospect, 2nd and 4th is a steal. However, the deal has the potential to help the Leafs more than we think. First we clear pretty much 6 million in cap that can be used elsewhere (cough other trades and signings). Second we fill a third role C position with a 20 year old who was drafted in the high first round. Third, you also get some picks back as well. This deal would be great if Sillinger could hit 50-60 points in the next couple of seasons. I also expect what Nylander wants on his next deal, the Leafs cannot afford.

2. Hartman and Foligno for Murray with retention, Robertson, Abruzzes and a 2nd. Reasoning: Leafs get more physical while adding some scoring while also doing right by Murray and sending him to a team that he will see playing time on. Again, this is another deal I think the Leafs are getting the worse side of the deal, but are making us a better team. Hartman is a 30-40 point guy while also being super tough to play against. Foligno is also capable of 20 counts while being a tough SOB to play against.

Between Accari, Hartman, Foligno, Bunting, Schenn and McCabe, we have a physical yet not useless team that will be difficult to play. While I think we start lacking some scoring tough compare to keeping Nylander, I think Knives, A full season of O'Reilly and Sillinger will help.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
3$4,000,000
3$850,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
2$2,250,000
3$5,250,000
3$4,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Sillinger, Cole
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (CBJ)
  3. 2024 4th round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Sillinger has the potential to be a number 2C but has struggled his first two years so the risk is large. Smaller picks come back to help with the risk to reward with Sillnger.
CBJ
  1. Nylander, William
Additional Details:
Sillinger is likely losing his spot at 3C with Jackets drafting the stunning Carlson while Johnson will continue to take up the 1st C role. Nylander adds to an already start studded cast of wingers.
TOR
  1. Foligno, Marcus
  2. Hartman, Ryan
Additional Details:
Leafs get more physical, as well as replace some scoring lost by the Nylander trade with Hartman. Would make the team much tougher to play against.
MIN
  1. Abruzzese, Nick
  2. Murray, Matt ($1,500,000 retained)
  3. Robertson, Nicholas
  4. 2023 2nd round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Wild get their back up behind Gus, allowing them to not stress about the pending Fluery retirement. They also get two younger players at league mini that could help with their current cap situation.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$82,909,917$0$850,000$590,083

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 4
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 16, 2023 at 11:00 a.m.
not good. 88 is a 40 goal scorer that shows up in the playoffs every year. nobody trades that for a potential low end 2C and some not very good draft picks. nothing on the jackets really pops out if i'm the Leafs but if CBJ wants Nylander it probably starts with Johnson
May 16, 2023 at 11:00 a.m.
I dont think Robertson and Abrueze have the value to make that happen.

And Murray retained is still a negative asset.

I dont think that gets just one of Foligno or Hartmen
May 16, 2023 at 11:02 a.m.
Quoting: PrimeDatsyuk
not good. 88 is a 40 goal scorer that shows up in the playoffs every year. nobody trades that for a potential low end 2C and some not very good draft picks. nothing on the jackets really pops out if i'm the Leafs but if CBJ wants Nylander it probably starts with Johnson

I think Johnson is well off limits for the Jackets. I would love to have him but his value is much closer to Nyalnders which means why trade him? He's cheaper younger and COULD potentially be just as good as Nylander
Civil_Eng_PE and squashmaple liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 11:02 a.m.
Nylander is worth a low 1st and an A prospect. I don't know how good Sillinger is / was but if you feel he is an A prospect, then this trade would be fair as your low 1st is a high 2nd and high 4th.
May 16, 2023 at 11:04 a.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Jackets don't need more wingers and KJ has barely played any center in the NHL so I don't know where you get that he will continue as 1C from.
Logicalicesports and Ajp_18 liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 11:07 a.m.
While the value is fair for the jackets the last thing they need is to get rid of a promising young center for a rental winger.
CapFriendlysFinest and Ajp_18 liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 11:08 a.m.
Instead of Nylander they need an established 1C.
May 16, 2023 at 11:14 a.m.
Quoting: Hammerwise
I dont think Robertson and Abrueze have the value to make that happen.

And Murray retained is still a negative asset.

I dont think that gets just one of Foligno or Hartmen

I don't think Murray is a negative assets. His biggest issue is his injury history, which if he gets one, he simply goes on LTIR and doesn't count towards the cap. I think people forget before he got injuried, Murray was the number one goalie for the start of the season for us. However I do agree with you that Rob and Abz probably aren't enough to get both Hartman and Foligno
Hammerwise liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: dk325
Jackets don't need more wingers and KJ has barely played any center in the NHL so I don't know where you get that he will continue as 1C from.

You often play your young guys on the wing for the start of their career. I fully expect Johnson to transition back to center this upcoming season. I know its been a while since he's played but I feel the end goal for the Jackets is to have him play C
Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 11:21 a.m.
Banned
You aren't dumping Matt Murray on Minnesota when they don't need a G, and b prospect winger Minnesota doesn't need and basically ahl body / low prospect along with 2nd round pick for Minnesota 1c and cheap player in Hartman and foligno
May 16, 2023 at 11:23 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: CapFriendlysFinest
I don't think Murray is a negative assets. His biggest issue is his injury history, which if he gets one, he simply goes on LTIR and doesn't count towards the cap. I think people forget before he got injuried, Murray was the number one goalie for the start of the season for us. However I do agree with you that Rob and Abz probably aren't enough to get both Hartman and Foligno

Minnesota has zero reason to trade Hartman. G is the last thing they need with Gus, Fleury and wallstedt. LTIr doesn't work like fans think.
iAce liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 11:54 a.m.
Quoting: Mjoyce001
Minnesota has zero reason to trade Hartman. G is the last thing they need with Gus, Fleury and wallstedt. LTIr doesn't work like fans think.

I expect Fluery to retire and I was suggesting that Murray is there for the start of the season behind Gus. Wall would come up in case of an injury which is likely and would then take over the back up role. I worry that Wall is not ready for a full time back up job (maybe he is, he is a highly sought after prospect) but then I also worry about a full time Gus. I think Murray is just the insurance for both.
May 16, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
Banned
I expect Fluery to retire and I was suggesting that Murray is there for the start of the season behind Gus. Wall would come up in case of an injury which is likely and would then take over the back up role. I worry that Wall is not ready for a full time back up job (maybe he is, he is a highly sought after prospect) but then I also worry about a full time Gus. I think Murray is just the insurance for both.

Fleury isn't retiring. He's chasing Patrick Roy or whatever his name is, he's chasing his record. That much is clear which is why he's coming back
iAce liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.

MAF has said publicly he isn't retiring and he is staying in MN. and Murray at 5m is 100% a negative value to the wild (as a backup) and probably most teams.
iAce liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.
not a he )
I like the deal for Columbus, but I also just like Nylander a lot. I'd do it for this deal but I don't know if Dubas would. That said, it feels like a waste of assets for Columbus when those same assets could be used to shore up an area of need, whether center or defense. Good deal in a vacuum, not a great deal in practice.
Ajp_18 liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 1:38 p.m.
3 things would have to happen for Columbus to make this trade.

A) Nylander would need to come with an extension, Nylander doesn’t make a cup contender next season.

B) Columbus has to be sure that Carlsson and Johnson can be top 6 NHL centers because if they aren’t why would be losing their best and only back up option if either of those 2 bust. If either one of them bust it would just prolong their rebuild.

C) they have to think the Sillinger isn’t going to be anything more then a middle 6 center destined for the 3rd line and 2nd line in a pinch.

Imo I don’t think Nylander signs an extension in Columbus and I don’t think Columbus has given up on Sillinger, so I wouldn’t make this trade if I were Jamro, I would judge that Columbus isn’t ready for adding rentals and the future of Sillinger will mean more then the one season that Nylander would be in Columbus for.
CapFriendlysFinest liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 10:03 p.m.
So many others hit it on the head. Minnesota wouldn't consider this trade. If I'm being honest, the cap hit going out has to be more than the cap hit coming in at the moment. No offense, but there aren't many options for the Leafs and Wild to make a trade happen. It would have to be equal money going out or you would have to retain more than we can take on. We have $14.7 million in dead cap space this year and next with the buyouts. So it has to be equal money trades. If you want Hartman it's picks coming back or Knies. Anything over 1.7 million just doesn't work for us unfortunately. Robertson I don't see being brought here due to size and roster slotting. I just don't see a lot making sense here.
May 17, 2023 at 4:19 a.m.

I think the problem with Murray is, and exact;y why Ottawa dealt him at a loss, is the yo-yo effect. Hes a 4.6mil cap hit that is healthy, IR, healthy, LTIR, healthy, LTIR, healthy, IR....meaning you have to carry a solid and cheap, waiver exempt goalie to cover, all the while having this yo-yo circus with a guy getting paid as a Number 1. I mean theres no way Dubas took Murray with the idea that he play just 20 or so games and give them cap relief on the LTIR.

He put up a good 20 games, (even with cap relief LTIR thats an expensive 20 games), but for the circus and the cap hit (albeit some of it relieved due intermittent LTIR relief), isnt worth it, and lets face it any team thats taking Murray is probably a rebuilding club that LTIR relief isnt as important.

Im not saying he has oodles of negative value, but he does have negative value.
May 17, 2023 at 9:05 a.m.
Quoting: TomRichardsWild
MAF has said publicly he isn't retiring and he is staying in MN. and Murray at 5m is 100% a negative value to the wild (as a backup) and probably most teams.

Can you link me this? I haven't read this at all! Thanks
May 17, 2023 at 10:33 a.m.
Can you link me this? I haven't read this at all! Thanks

https://theathletic.com/4468714/2023/04/29/wild-first-round-loss-nhl-playoffs/

i'm sure its behind a paywall so ill include the related info

Fleury plans to keep playing
Marc-Andre Fleury, who mopped up with six saves after replacing Filip Gustavsson to start the third, made it clear after the game he “for sure” plans to play out the final year of his contract. He has one year left at $3.5 million and doesn’t plan to retire. “I’ve still got one more year and it might be it,” Fleury said. “It is too bad. We have a good bunch of guys, great chemistry and a good team. We had good depth. I really believed we were going to go deeper here in the playoffs. It’s a little bit stunning.”

The only reason the 38-year-old’s future was a question is that he started only one game in the playoffs and told The Athletic last summer that he signed for two years because he wouldn’t want to move his family again after this season — but that he would be willing to play ball with the Wild and retire if he showed this season he couldn’t play up to his standards.

Fleury won 24 games and is seven from tying Patrick Roy for the second-most regular-season wins (551) in NHL history.

Asked how he dealt with starting just once in the playoffs as opposed to five games last postseason, Fleury said, referring to a Game 2, 7-3 loss, “It was hard because I wasn’t happy with the game I played. Maybe it wasn’t the best as a team, but I didn’t help either. I wasn’t good. Other than that, only one guy can play and Gus has been good and consistent all season long. That’s fine. That’s fine with me. I tried to encourage the guys, I tried to encourage Gus, support him.”
CapFriendlysFinest liked this.
May 17, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.
Quoting: TomRichardsWild
https://theathletic.com/4468714/2023/04/29/wild-first-round-loss-nhl-playoffs/

i'm sure its behind a paywall so ill include the related info

Fleury plans to keep playing
Marc-Andre Fleury, who mopped up with six saves after replacing Filip Gustavsson to start the third, made it clear after the game he “for sure” plans to play out the final year of his contract. He has one year left at $3.5 million and doesn’t plan to retire. “I’ve still got one more year and it might be it,” Fleury said. “It is too bad. We have a good bunch of guys, great chemistry and a good team. We had good depth. I really believed we were going to go deeper here in the playoffs. It’s a little bit stunning.”

The only reason the 38-year-old’s future was a question is that he started only one game in the playoffs and told The Athletic last summer that he signed for two years because he wouldn’t want to move his family again after this season — but that he would be willing to play ball with the Wild and retire if he showed this season he couldn’t play up to his standards.

Fleury won 24 games and is seven from tying Patrick Roy for the second-most regular-season wins (551) in NHL history.

Asked how he dealt with starting just once in the playoffs as opposed to five games last postseason, Fleury said, referring to a Game 2, 7-3 loss, “It was hard because I wasn’t happy with the game I played. Maybe it wasn’t the best as a team, but I didn’t help either. I wasn’t good. Other than that, only one guy can play and Gus has been good and consistent all season long. That’s fine. That’s fine with me. I tried to encourage the guys, I tried to encourage Gus, support him.”

Appreciated man! I thought I had read that after the playoffs he was struggling and might be done.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll