M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 4, 2023 at 11:11 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
I don’t mind a lot of it, but I also feel like there’s too much going on. Feels like this team wouldn’t finish bottom 5 in the league next season which would be my target.
LivingAnew, RicXX and Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 11:24 a.m.
Five 1st's and two 2nd's! Sign me up!
RicXX and Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 11:32 a.m.
VGKNation702
We’re 1000% not doing that lol
Jun. 4, 2023 at 11:32 a.m.
Edited Jun. 4, 2023 at 11:58 a.m.
Quoting: Kyle_Davidson
I don’t mind a lot of it, but I also feel like there’s too much going on. Feels like this team wouldn’t finish bottom 5 in the league next season which would be my target.

I'm generally with KD's sentiment (above), except I want to see how Katchouk does this year before including him in any trade. He really started to bloom after this year's TDL, when afforded/given the opportunity. I think it's possible he continues to expands his growth and surprises this coming year. With him also being cost-controlled, he could be in big demand at the TDL (a la the way Raddysh seems to be now).
RicXX and Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Hawksguy81
Five 1st's and two 2nd's! Sign me up!

Idk. There’s no 6th round draft pick this year. And this is a deep draft. 🤣
Hawksguy81 and Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: VGKNation702

IDK man. LVK are in a tough position cap wise and no one backstabs their players more than McCrimmon.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 11:53 a.m.
exo2769
I'm hopeful we can do better than that Vegas trade. The Hawks should be looking for a Jeannot type trade at the TDL.

Even last night he was their least trusted Dman.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 11:59 a.m.

TRad is a 20G/40P guy on a 750K cap hit...the kind of asset that goes for a 1st at the deadline. TRad and a 2nd for a former 2nd (with lots of center options in front of him for the foreseeable future) and a 1st is somewhere in the correct zip code. You can't possibly view Martinez as something that is going to command much in the trade market...36 year old D making 5.25 in a tight cap environment are not going to be flying off the shelf. Vegas gets a dirt cheap middle 6 winger, gets to reboot a prospect not likely to have a spot for a younger player, and frees Martinez cap space without really paying to dump him. I thought this might be the most lopsided trade in favor of the other team of the ones I proposed.
LivingAnew and Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
Quoting: wojohawk
TRad is a 20G/40P guy on a 750K cap hit...the kind of asset that goes for a 1st at the deadline. TRad and a 2nd for a former 2nd (with lots of center options in front of him for the foreseeable future) and a 1st is somewhere in the correct zip code. You can't possibly view Martinez as something that is going to command much in the trade market...36 year old D making 5.25 in a tight cap environment are not going to be flying off the shelf. Vegas gets a dirt cheap middle 6 winger, gets to reboot a prospect not likely to have a spot for a younger player, and frees Martinez cap space without really paying to dump him. I thought this might be the most lopsided trade in favor of the other team of the ones I proposed.

I have a hard time parting with Raddysh. I think in the right situation he hits 50 pts next season.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: JK74
I have a hard time parting with Raddysh. I think in the right situation he hits 50 pts next season.

You got to give to get. By the time a player like TRad is meaningful to the Hawks, he'll have hit UFA. 750K and 1 more year of RFA control makes him WAY more useful to a playoff team. My hope is if you stack up enough high draft picks, we'll have several TRad types on ELC in 2-3 years when we are starting to turn the corner.
JK74, LivingAnew and Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 12:42 p.m.
Edited Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.

Hey, wojo, building on your TRad thoughts above... I think - given the large number of teams that MUST keep going for it (PIT, VGK, TB, EDM, WAS, maybe MIN and BOS, etc) in a hard cap world this coming year - TRad could be in HUGE demand now.

For example... How many picks and prospects could we pull away from EDM for TRad - if we also took on Campbell's hit? I think a first round pick (maybe more than one, a la Hagel) along with a couple top prospects for our RD and winger pipelines could come back to the Hawks.

Fans of their teams can talk tough now. But when it comes down to it (IMO), their teams will make the assessment that NOW is the time they must go for it. PIT's already won cups. How will EDM fans feel if they DON'T win soon with McJesus, and the window starts to close?

I want - and believe we could very well already be in - a bidding war for TRad.
JK74 and Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: Kyle_Davidson

I would not worry about being bottom 5. The goaltending is not good depending on which (or both) of Murray/Mrazek you would buy out with the trades I propose here. The D in front of the goaltending is not that good either. Martinez is your #1 LHD...let that sink in. You'll be rotating 5 or so kids at LHD for the 2nd and 3rd pairing slots (meaning there will be growing pains). Decent chance at some point (draft or trade deadline), Murphy gets moved. Mantha, Boeser and Tyler Johnson will be lucky to stay healthy enough to play 65 games (almost a certainty one will always be out hurt at all times). Trade deadline will have Dickinson, Johnson, Mantha, Martinez, Myers, Zaitsev, and whichever of Mrazek/Murray you don't buyout as pending UFA's all on the block with a decent chance a handful get moved (even for little to nothing) meaning you'll be plugging in a handful of AHL filler.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
Quoting: LivingAnew
Hey, wojo, building on your TRad thoughts above... I think - given the large number of teams that MUST keep going for it (PIT, VGK, TB, EDM, WAS, maybe MIN and BOS, etc) in a hard cap world this coming year, TRad could be in HUGE demand now.

For example... How many picks and prospects could we pull away from EDM for TRad - if we also took on Campbell's hit? I think a first round pick (maybe more than one, a la Hagel) along with a couple top prospects for our RD and winger pipelines could come back to the Hawks.

Fans of their teams can talk tough now. But when it comes down to it (IMO), their teams will make the assessment that NOW is the time they must go for it. PIT's already won cups. How will EDM fans feel if they DON'T win soon with McJesus, and the window starts to close?

I want - and believe we could very well already be in - a bidding war for TRad.

TRAD absolutely should be in big demand, and honestly despite the one Vegas fan that was not a fan of this, I am probably selling him short. A 1st in this draft has more value to me than a future 1st which is what you get at the TDL. The other part of this is getting a nice center prospect for a 2nd that is already developing....a pick in this draft is a year behind and likewise a pick at the deadline is 2 years behind. Martinez honestly is at best a partial dump given his salary and age. I don't really care as he is only 1 year left and a reasonable gamble you can move him and get a 2nd/3rd at the deadline.

I hope there is a bidding war and we get good value for him. If the best offer is a 1st (even a late one), I definitely take it in this draft.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
TRAD absolutely should be in big demand, and honestly despite the one Vegas fan that was not a fan of this, I am probably selling him short. A 1st in this draft has more value to me than a future 1st which is what you get at the TDL. The other part of this is getting a nice center prospect for a 2nd that is already developing....a pick in this draft is a year behind and likewise a pick at the deadline is 2 years behind. Martinez honestly is at best a partial dump given his salary and age. I don't really care as he is only 1 year left and a reasonable gamble you can move him and get a 2nd/3rd at the deadline.

I hope there is a bidding war and we get good value for him. If the best offer is a 1st (even a late one), I definitely take it in this draft.

Good point. This draft is exceptional, no question. Would one '23 1st and an already developing nice center prospect, be better than two 1sts and two "nice" prospects in the future? Can't know without specifics, of course... Something to occupy my mind, though! LOL

It's likely to get VERY interesting for us Hawks fans after the Final is over in a couple weeks. Cheers
Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Boeser has positive value and Myers has negative value. They cancel each other out. So the Canucks downgrade pick for what reason exactly?
Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
VGKNation702

Martinez isn’t a cap dump lol. He led the league in blocks and has one year left. The problem is you just casually throw in another prospect of ours. Radish would be a great add no doubt, but not at that cost for us. We have to be able to resign Marshy and Stephenson which means no money left. I think we resign Barbashev as well so the one year rental price is just too high IMO.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Boeser has positive value and Myers has negative value. They cancel each other out. So the Canucks downgrade pick for what reason exactly?

Freeing cap space to maneuver is a VITAL asset; in some respects, more important than whether a player has "positive" or "negative" value. Do you think the Senators wanted to cough up 2nd and 4th picks to offload Zaitsev to the Hawks? It was during the season, so they were already under the cap; it wasn't for that reason. It was for much more than that.

Look at what they did with that space - they landed Chychrun! Does that make the notion of trading away a player with some value - for a cost - more palatable? IMO, it does.

The question of a players value in a vacuum is pointless to discuss, IMO. I keep saying it... Was Teravainen worthless when we threw him in with Bickell to get rid of BIckell's cap? (No one know of his MS at the time.) Obviously, Teravainen had - and has - a lot of value. But we included him in that trade BECAUSE WE HAD TO.

If VAN is to get ANY maneuvering room to change things up, you're gonna have to trade players with value. Otherwise, IMO, you may be looking at staying pretty much where you are. All IMHO, of course. Cheers!
Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: LivingAnew
Freeing cap space to maneuver is a VITAL asset; in some respects, more important than whether a player has "positive" or "negative" value. Do you think the Senators WANTED to cough up 2nd and 4th picks to offload Zaitsev to the Hawks? It was during the season, so they were already under the cap; it wasn't for that reason. It was for much more than that.

Look at what they did with that space; they landed Chychrun! Does that make the notion of trading away a player some value - for a cost - to gain maneuvering room?

The question of a players value in a vacuum is pointless to discuss, IMO. I keep saying it... Was Teravainen worthless when we threw him in with Bickell (to get rid of BIckell's cap? (No one know of his MS at the time.) Obviously, Teravainen had - and has - value. We included him in that trade BECAUSE WE HAD TO.

If VAN is to get ANY maneuvering room to change things up, you're gonna have to trade players with value. Otherwise, IMO, you may be looking at staying pretty much where you are. All IMHO, of course. Cheers!

Unlike the Sens, the Canucks don’t have any players to sign. Sens have a lot of players that need new contracts like DeBrincat. Not a good comparison. Canucks don’t need 1 year of cap space. It doesn’t help us at all.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
Okay. Good luck!
Jun. 4, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
Don't want it to go without mention, wojo... Good job on this team! You stimulated a lot of great discussion. Cheers!
Jun. 4, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
I still think you underestimate Boeser's value quite a bit. At this cost, CHI should probably be paying Myers bonus. I could certainly be wrong and VAN could be desperate to move his contract, but $6.65M for a 55 point top 6 forward doesn't scream "cap dump!" to me. It screams something more like "discount!", IMO. But overall, there is a lot of good stuff here. If Davidson is even half as aggressive as this, going into the draft, June 28th will be a great day!
Jun. 4, 2023 at 3:22 p.m.
exo2769
Martinez isn’t a cap dump lol. He led the league in blocks and has one year left. The problem is you just casually throw in another prospect of ours. Radish would be a great add no doubt, but not at that cost for us. We have to be able to resign Marshy and Stephenson which means no money left. I think we resign Barbashev as well so the one year rental price is just too high IMO.

What do you think Vegas is doing with Howden's Arb rights? Would you swap him for a change of scenery player just because you might lose him for nothing?
Jun. 4, 2023 at 3:24 p.m.
VGKNation702
Quoting: exo2769
What do you think Vegas is doing with Howden's Arb rights? Would you swap him for a change of scenery player just because you might lose him for nothing?

I think they get a deal done with him. 3-4 years around 2-2.5 million. He didn’t exactly light the world on fire with 20 points on the year.
exo2769 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 3:58 p.m.
Quoting: Garak
I still think you underestimate Boeser's value quite a bit. At this cost, CHI should probably be paying Myers bonus. I could certainly be wrong and VAN could be desperate to move his contract, but $6.65M for a 55 point top 6 forward doesn't scream "cap dump!" to me. It screams something more like "discount!", IMO. But overall, there is a lot of good stuff here. If Davidson is, whatever he is positive is probably a wash even half as aggressive as this, going into the draft, June 28th will be a great day!

Boeser is certainly not a cap dump, but he is a little rich on his deal (like a million a year) which is going to be a factor in his trade value. Paired with Myers (even post bonus), you are talking 12.65 million in cap and that combo at that cap is a neutral value IMHO. The net of the picks are close to a wash (and I am more than happy to sub the Tampa 2nd this year for the Vancouver next which is exactly equal value on the picks).

Does a team that has made the playoffs once in 8 years want to make a meaningful roster change? If yes, this offers 12.65 cap space to do that, keeps a 1st, adds a 2nd (paying fair value for the higher pick) and gives them a cheap young RHD.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 4, 2023 at 4:13 p.m.

I did not know blocked shots was such an important metric. I did not casually throw in a prospect. I specifically looked for one realistically blocked by the Vegas depth down the middle (who is Sapavoliv knocking out of the Vegas lineup and when?) and swapped out a comparable pick used to acquire him last year. Hawks get a prospect they have room to give a shot to at the NHL level in the near future and Vegas gets a chance at a prospect reset. There is no reason TRad can't stay beyond a year. He makes less than league minimum this year. I doubt he gets a ton of PP time in Vegas (meaning his scoring stats that drive salary demands will be suppressed on a better team), so I doubt he is in a position to demand a massive pay increase. Cap is supposed to jump quite a bit next Summer, so if you want to keep him as an RFA....decent odds you can. Or he is a really nice player for you putting up some points and you flip him for an asset and resign other priorities.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll