Forums/Armchair-GM

Giving it a shot

Created by: SAR21
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 15, 2023
Published: Jun. 15, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
We really need to find a way out from Jeff Carter…
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,100,000
2$1,300,000
4$7,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,000,000
3$2,750,000
3$3,000,000
4$5,000,000
3$1,500,000
Trades
PIT
  1. DeBrincat, Alex [RFA Rights]
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Andonovski, Corey
  2. Rust, Bryan
  3. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Gibson, John
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (PIT)
ANA
  1. Granlund, Mikael
  2. Pickering, Owen
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (VAN)
CHI
  1. Rutta, Jan
  2. 2024 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. 2023 6th round pick (VAN)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$78,010,592$0$0$5,489,408
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 15, 2023 at 11:56 a.m.
I don’t think this is enough for us to take Granlunds contract off your hands let alone adding Gibson AND a 3rd lol
SAR21, Salzy, Logicalicesports and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 11:57 a.m.
Too much for Cat
Too much for Gibby
Too much to dump Rutta
Jun. 15, 2023 at 11:58 a.m.
Luke
rutta>gudas, and it wouldn’t take a first to get rid of ruttas contract anyways
SAR21 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 11:59 a.m.
Granlund is a cap dump
Pickering would be buried behind Mintyukov, Zellweger, Hinds, LaCombe
a second a year from now which isnt even enough to take Granlund

Lets leave it there and just say its a no from ANA
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 12:00 p.m.
Honestly, I do not think that package gets you Cat. i think it needs to be more like Guentzel and a first for Cat and a third. Cat is younger and the Pens would need clear cap space because a 20 man roster would not work what so ever
SAR21 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 12:02 p.m.
Quoting: ldinkel98

I was admittedly getting a little lazy with my draft picks in the trades. From the sounds of it, I could send that Anaheims way in the Gibson trade, and send a lesser pick in the Ruuta trade. Mainly got rid of Ruuta from a cap efficiency standpoint.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.

Rutta definitely ain't better than Gudas.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
Hawks probably accept. And Cat isn't signing that contract if Pens do get him.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 1:09 p.m.
Using the 14th overall to dump Rutta is a bit crazy. Anaheim wouldn't accept that and the Pens shouldn't be going after Gibson anyways - ANA is going to want a good return and the Pens shouldn't pay it. Definitely light on Bunting
OldNYIfan and SAR21 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
VAN
Canucks love bald Penguins, so why not?!
SAR21 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
Quoting: Prime_Jimbo
Canucks love bald Penguins, so why not?!

Comment of the day. 🤣🤣🤣
Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:35 p.m.
Edited Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
Quoting: JSEB93
Using the 14th overall to dump Rutta is a bit crazy. Anaheim wouldn't accept that and the Pens shouldn't be going after Gibson anyways - ANA is going to want a good return and the Pens shouldn't pay it. Definitely light on Bunting

The 14th overall was used to aquire Debrincat. The pick is next years first to trade Ruuta.

Regarding Gibson, I’m 50/50 on if Anaheim is able to get much back for him. Admittedly, my proposal is light (especially with the 2nd coming back), however it’s a results oriented business and the results haven’t been there the past few years for Gibson, so it’s a gamble for any team. (I understand how bad the Ducks team is, which is obviously going to negatively effect Gibson’s stats, however he also has a monster contract for a goalie)

Regarding Bunting, I was afraid of that. Wasn’t 100% sure how to value him. Maybe 3.5-4? Again, Jeff Carter handcuffs this team.
JSEB93 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:39 p.m.
Edited Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: SAR21
The 14th overall was used to aquire Debrincat. The pick is next years first to trade Ruuta. Regarding Gibson, I’m 50/50 on if Anaheim is able to get much back for him. Admittedly, my proposal is light (especially with the 2nd coming back), however it’s a results oriented business and the results haven’t been there the past few years for Gibson, so it’s a gamble for any team. (I understand how bad the Ducks team is, which is obviously going to negatively effect Gibson’s stats, however he also has a monster contract for a goalie)

Damn my eyes - my apologies lol.

As for Gibson - I agree with your take on him, his value, his performance. I just think if ANA doesn't get a good return they'll just keep him.
SAR21 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.
Quoting: Logicalicesports
Honestly, I do not think that package gets you Cat. i think it needs to be more like Guentzel and a first for Cat and a third. Cat is younger and the Pens would need clear cap space because a 20 man roster would not work what so ever

Agreed on the 20 man roster. The Pens ultimately need to get rid of J. Carter to truly fix this team.

Regarding DeBrincat and the package it would take to get him, I think it ultimately is dependent on if he has a new contract or not. With a new contract, 100% agreed that it takes Guenztel. Since he’s not signed, absolutely not.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
Edited Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:53 p.m.
Quoting: GeneralLandro
I don’t think this is enough for us to take Granlunds contract off your hands let alone adding Gibson AND a 3rd lol

There is risk on both sides here. Gibson isn’t exactly putting up stellar numbers for being signed long term at 6.4 per year. He could be seen as just as much of a cap dump as Granlund is.

I would think Gibson would put up much better numbers with a better team, but if we are making assumptions, then we could assume Granlund could put up 64 points again playing more minutes/power play minutes. Neither one of those are safe to assume. If Granlund could turn it around, he could then be flipped at the deadline for additional assets. (Especially if Hextall could land another gig 🤣)
Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:51 p.m.
Damn my eyes - my apologies lol.

As for Gibson - I agree with your take on him, his value, his performance. I just think if ANA doesn't get a good return they'll just keep him.

Haha, I totally get it. There’s a lot of moving pieces here.

I’m thinking you’re probably correct regarding Gibson, but who knows. I feel like a lot of suitors are going to want to see results before taking a gamble on a goalie putting up a .899 save percentage signed long term at 6.4 million per year.
JSEB93 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
Luke
Quoting: jboyd919
Rutta definitely ain't better than Gudas.

gudas sucks, all he does it make big hits. he suck’s defensively and offensively and also can’t fight
Jun. 15, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
Haha, I totally get it. There’s a lot of moving pieces here.

I’m thinking you’re probably correct regarding Gibson, but who knows. I feel like a lot of suitors are going to want to see results before taking a gamble on a goalie putting up a .899 save percentage signed long term at 6.4 million per year.

Right lol - staring at screens all day starts to mess with my vision haha.

Oh I totally agree. But the results and contract you bring up is why I don't really think they should be looking at Gibson - if his value is this low then why would the Pens want him ya know? I think you're correct that suitors may not want to give up a lot until they see results, but I think if ANA doesn't get a lot in return they'll just keep him. To me, from ANA's perspective - they look and think since he's signed for 4 more years they would rather hold him and hope he has a good season soon and then trade him for good value as opposed to giving him away super cheap now. If he was a UFA after this upcoming season, then I would agree they might just take what they can get.

But this is all just speculation form a guy in a cubicle lol
SAR21 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.
Right lol - staring at screens all day starts to mess with my vision haha.

Oh I totally agree. But the results and contract you bring up is why I don't really think they should be looking at Gibson - if his value is this low then why would the Pens want him ya know? I think you're correct that suitors may not want to give up a lot until they see results, but I think if ANA doesn't get a lot in return they'll just keep him. To me, from ANA's perspective - they look and think since he's signed for 4 more years they would rather hold him and hope he has a good season soon and then trade him for good value as opposed to giving him away super cheap now. If he was a UFA after this upcoming season, then I would agree they might just take what they can get.

But this is all just speculation form a guy in a cubicle lol

Hahaha. The last part, amen to that! It’s fun to dream at least lol.

What could probably be done is swap the 2024 first that I was sending out in the Ruuta trade with the 2nd in this trade, so it gives Anaheim a first round pick next year. Unfortunately for them, it sounds like Gibson wants out, and you top that with the less than desirable goalie trade market, it’s a recipe to take what’s given to you.

From the Pens point of view, they are one of a few teams that need a goalie and have ample cap room to take on Gibson’s cap hit. With that being said, this is a boom or bust move for them. (If it doesn’t work out, it would definitely close their cup window due to cap constraints to do anything further).

To your point, I’m not sure it is worth the risk though, but they need to swing for the fence somewhere similar to what they did with Kessel before going back to back, and I thought this might be a good option with Gibson being a hometown kid and then having the need for a goalie.

Their other options would be trade for Helle, which is going to take a huge haul, but he’s the safe bet. I didn’t really look too much in the FA market, but possibly Varlamov and a 1b would be the better approach. (Heck, it could be Jarry and Varlamov lol)
JSEB93 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
Hahaha. The last part, amen to that! It’s fun to dream at least lol.

What could probably be done is swap the 2024 first that I was sending out in the Ruuta trade with the 2nd in this trade, so it gives Anaheim a first round pick next year. Unfortunately for them, it sounds like Gibson wants out, and you top that with the less than desirable goalie trade market, it’s a recipe to take what’s given to you.

From the Pens point of view, they are one of a few teams that need a goalie and have ample cap room to take on Gibson’s cap hit. With that being said, this is a boom or bust move for them. (If it doesn’t work out, it would definitely close their cup window due to cap constraints to do anything further).

To your point, I’m not sure it is worth the risk though, but they need to swing for the fence somewhere similar to what they did with Kessel before going back to back, and I thought this might be a good option with Gibson being a hometown kid and then having the need for a goalie.

Their other options would be trade for Helle, which is going to take a huge haul, but he’s the safe bet. I didn’t really look too much in the FA market, but possibly Varlamov and a 1b would be the better approach. (Heck, it could be Jarry and Varlamov lol)

It sure is haha. Yeah, if you swapped the 2nd to a 1st and dropped the 3rd rounder coming back to Pittsburgh - that would be a lot better offer and should be considered I'd think. But you also have to account for the Granlund contract dump as well. If the goalie market isn't good - that would increase Gibson's value though, no?

The Pens do have the cap space Gibson - but it definitely wouldn't be easy. If we look at your roster, you probably need to sign 2 additional players and give Bunting a raise and only have 90K available. It would be tight. Definitely boom or bust as you said. If he returns to his play of like 5 years ago the Pens would be dangerous.

I get what you were going for. I'm fine with them swinging for the fence, and for a goalie, but if they do I think it should be for Hellebuyck. It's not that Gibson is a terrible option for what you gave up in this ACGM - but I think you would have to give up a good bit more to actually get Gibson - and in that case it would become a bad decision. As far as UFas - yeah I would think Jarry, Varlamov, and Anderson are the top 3 options.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.
It sure is haha. Yeah, if you swapped the 2nd to a 1st and dropped the 3rd rounder coming back to Pittsburgh - that would be a lot better offer and should be considered I'd think. But you also have to account for the Granlund contract dump as well. If the goalie market isn't good - that would increase Gibson's value though, no?

The Pens do have the cap space Gibson - but it definitely wouldn't be easy. If we look at your roster, you probably need to sign 2 additional players and give Bunting a raise and only have 90K available. It would be tight. Definitely boom or bust as you said. If he returns to his play of like 5 years ago the Pens would be dangerous.

I get what you were going for. I'm fine with them swinging for the fence, and for a goalie, but if they do I think it should be for Hellebuyck. It's not that Gibson is a terrible option for what you gave up in this ACGM - but I think you would have to give up a good bit more to actually get Gibson - and in that case it would become a bad decision. As far as UFas - yeah I would think Jarry, Varlamov, and Anderson are the top 3 options.

I should have reworded what I meant stating the goalie market isn’t good. I mean the return for goalies has not been good in regards to trades.

My thought with sending them Granlund is they can hope he can rekindle some of the magic he had in Nashville playing elevated minutes on a lesser team in order to inflate his stats, then they can hopefully get the next Ron Hextall to take him on at the TDL again. 🤣

Regarding the cap space and Bunting raise, we ultimately need to trade Carter, but it’s 100% up to him what happens to him and where he goes with a full NMC, so I didn’t even want to throw anything out there. That contract there will cost us a pretty penny to move, if it’s even an option at all.
JSEB93 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 3:27 p.m.
I should have reworded what I meant stating the goalie market isn’t good. I mean the return for goalies has not been good in regards to trades.

My thought with sending them Granlund is they can hope he can rekindle some of the magic he had in Nashville playing elevated minutes on a lesser team in order to inflate his stats, then they can hopefully get the next Ron Hextall to take him on at the TDL again. 🤣

Regarding the cap space and Bunting raise, we ultimately need to trade Carter, but it’s 100% up to him what happens to him and where he goes with a full NMC, so I didn’t even want to throw anything out there. That contract there will cost us a pretty penny to move, if it’s even an option at all.

Ohhhhhhh - I gotcha. Yep - no arguments there.

Haha - fair enough on Granlund.

Yeah - I think Carter being here is just something we have to accept. Which is what makes getting an expensive goalie like Gibson a bit difficult. I mean you can still ice a good team - just probably have to cut one of Debrincat/Graves/Gibson for a cheaper option.
SAR21 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 4:19 p.m.
gudas sucks, all he does it make big hits. he suck’s defensively and offensively and also can’t fight

lol wut? do you even hockey?

Dude was +13 at 5v5, had an xGF of 56.91% this season

All dude does is drive play. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqMCDVdaEAAmSGI?format=jpg&name=large
Jun. 16, 2023 at 8:12 a.m.
eril
Rust has a NMC so he´s not going to OTT
SAR21 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2023 at 12:09 p.m.
Quoting: erikivedal
Rust has a NMC so he´s not going to OTT

Good catch. 👍

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option