SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Draft Day And Free Agency

Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Saskleaf
Ehh no it’s not great AAV, it makes him the leagues highest payed player which we knew would happen and it’s fine, but it’s definitely not a “great” AAV. But I’ll absolutely take it 100% of the time over Matthews walking. Glad we got him locked up

AM got the 2nd highest % as the 2nd best player, and we are only paying it for the rest of his prime.
Welcome to the new NHL. Its a fantastic deal
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:22 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: Random2152
AM got the 2nd highest % as the 2nd best player, and we are only paying it for the rest of his prime.
Welcome to the new NHL. Its a fantastic deal

Yah I have no complaints because we knew he was going to get payed, I just have a hard time calling the AAV “great” when he’s the leagues highest payed player. Still a great contract don’t get me wrong.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Yah I have no complaints because we knew he was going to get payed, I just have a hard time calling the AAV “great” when he’s the leagues highest payed player. Still a great contract don’t get me wrong.

AM is worth 20, easily worth CMD %, and took far less, and we only pay for the upside of the age curve.
Its a ****ing heist
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
AM is worth 20, easily worth CMD %, and took far less, and we only pay for the upside of the age curve.
Its a ****ing heist

Bro no, he’s not worth 20 or anything close to it. If you seriously think he is then I really don’t know what to tell you.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
Its a ****ing heist

if the cap goes up as it should it will be
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:29 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Matthews will be 31 by the time this deal ends. If TOR hasn't won anything by then I personally will be cool if he moves on and we start over.

I'm not saying he won't still be good into his 30's but I'd rather not be paying an aging star big money into his late 30's
Saskleaf, Juice, NorthernLeafsFan05 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:33 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Matthews will be 31 by the time this deal ends. If TOR hasn't won anything by then I personally will be cool if he moves on and we start over.

I'm not saying he won't still be good into his 30's but I'd rather not be paying an aging star big money into his late 30's

Yes hopefully we’ll have actually won something in 5 years but if not I fully agree letting AM walk is the best move.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:35 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Bro no, he’s not worth 20 or anything close to it. If you seriously think he is then I really don’t know what to tell you.

Intrinsic value is a real thing. Don't let Gary Bettman's wage suppression tell you otherwise.
Besides, even within the cap system he took less. Easily worth 16.67 like McDavid. Got 15.1.
****in' brilliant

Quoting: leafs101
if the cap goes up as it should it will be

Don't even need the cap to go up for this to be a great deal. More than worth it now
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:36 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Intrinsic value is a real thing. Don't let Gary Bettman's wage suppression tell you otherwise.
Besides, even within the cap system he took less. Easily worth 16.67 like McDavid. Got 15.1.
****in' brilliant

Don't even need the cap to go up for this to be a great deal. More than worth it now

Whatever, agree to disagree I guess, one thing we can all agree on is it’s much better than letting AM walk.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:40 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
The one thing I better not see if any praising of Brad Treliving over this signing. Cause if Dubas signed this deal he would be getting destroyed right now
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:43 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
The one thing I better not see if any praising of Brad Treliving over this signing. Cause if Dubas signed this deal he would be getting destroyed right now

Whether its Dubas or Trev, this is a great deal and anyone who disagrees can suck my dick.
4 MORE YEARS! (technically 5 but shhhh)
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

I mean hey he got the man signed vs. letting him walk for nothing

Now we dont got to here is Matthews gonna leave us for another 4 years

As long as he is a leaf who cares the term he can sign 10 1 year deals for all I care.
Random2152 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:47 p.m.

One thing I'll definitely give him credit for if it shakes out this way would be limited trade protection, at the very least in the final year. I highly doubt it though.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:49 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
One thing I'll definitely give him credit for if it shakes out this way would be limited trade protection, at the very least in the final year. I highly doubt it though.

I'd be shocked
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:50 p.m.
I'd be shocked

Me too
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Here's how I feel about Matthews deal I wish it was 8 but hey we got him signed

I have a feeling after this deal is when the 8 years will come as he will be 30 and by then players often look to settle
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Now the focus shifts to Willy

Lets see what happens now

To me we either see a 9.25m x 8 year extension or he is traded
Aug. 23, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Just a friendly reminder that the last time around the years purchased by this contract was going to cost 13.8 aav from reports.

We got 9 years at an average of 12.35 against the cap.
Vs 8 years at 13.8 against the cap.

If you cant see this as a win I don't know what to tell you
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 9:25 p.m.
Just a friendly reminder that the last time around the years purchased by this contract was going to cost 13.8 aav from reports.

We got 9 years at an average of 12.35 against the cap.
Vs 8 years at 13.8 against the cap.

If you cant see this as a win I don't know what to tell you

I gotta agree with you. I don't think it's a landslide win but it's definitely a great re-signing. People were crying $14m+ after his 60 goal season.

As a percentage of the cap he's probably right where he should be. Keeping in mind that we keep hearing rumours that the cap may take a decent jump next year, so Matthews could have easily waited this out and asked for the same share of a bigger pie next off-season. So yes, I think this deal shows he was willing to leave money on the table, get the deal done early, and spend the next 5 years in a Leaf jersey becoming the franchise's all time leading goal scorer.

And the more I thought about it, the more I liked the term. He'll be 31 when the contract ends which got me thinking, why do we want 8 years so badly? Why pay him as a top player in the league to his 34/35 age? Both player and team get to suss out the situation 5 years from now and see if the relationship is worth extending again and what the appropriate price point will be then.

Superstars handle their mid-30s differently. But we don't have to look past John Tavares and see that, at 32, we wish we weren't paying him $11m per for the next 2 years.

This is a great deal all around.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 9:58 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Juice
I gotta agree with you. I don't think it's a landslide win but it's definitely a great re-signing. People were crying $14m+ after his 60 goal season.

As a percentage of the cap he's probably right where he should be. Keeping in mind that we keep hearing rumours that the cap may take a decent jump next year, so Matthews could have easily waited this out and asked for the same share of a bigger pie next off-season. So yes, I think this deal shows he was willing to leave money on the table, get the deal done early, and spend the next 5 years in a Leaf jersey becoming the franchise's all time leading goal scorer.

And the more I thought about it, the more I liked the term. He'll be 31 when the contract ends which got me thinking, why do we want 8 years so badly? Why pay him as a top player in the league to his 34/35 age? Both player and team get to suss out the situation 5 years from now and see if the relationship is worth extending again and what the appropriate price point will be then.

Superstars handle their mid-30s differently. But we don't have to look past John Tavares and see that, at 32, we wish we weren't paying him $11m per for the next 2 years.

TOR will have had Matthews for 9 of his prime years. If they can’t win anything in the next 5 years does anyone really want to run it back. And if they do win a Cup in the next 5 years does anyone give a sh*t if he walks. Hard not to look at today as a win 🤷‍♂️
NorthernLeafsFan05, Saskleaf, oneX and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 10:03 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Juice

This is weird. We agree a lot more than we used to.
Where is the old Juice?
Juice and Trickster liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 1:40 a.m.
I absolutely see no point in using him as a rental this season but IF you could get a futures package from ANA and look to flip one of those assets to help this year and beyond, that is what I’d want
in a trade.

I don’t see any 1 for 1 trades that I like. Give me futures

Quoting: aadoyle
Idk if Pitt called and said Guentzel I would be interested.

1 for 1

But yea I agree if we do move Willy going for futures would be nice

As I feel one of

Horvat trade
PLD trade
or Tkachuck trades are good base marks for him depending on if he is a rental or if its a sign and trade

I'd want futures for Nylander as well but the Guentzel idea I like. Futures give Treliving the chance to reset how the cap space allocated on the roster which looks very appealing.

Adding Guentzel is intriguing because essentially you replace Nylander with similar goal production at around the same cap hit.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 1:44 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: oneX
I'd want futures for Nylander as well but the Guentzel idea I like. Futures give Treliving the chance to reset how the cap space allocated on the roster which looks very appealing.

Adding Guentzel is intriguing because essentially you replace Nylander with similar goal production at around the same cap hit.

I think the PLD trade is the perfect comp for a Nylander deal. Vilardi is a great, young NHL player who helps the Jets now, plus they got futures. That's the exact package the Leafs should be looking for. Im still aboard the Nylander to NSH for Tomasino (assuming a move has to happen)

Ideally you resign Nylander though
oneX liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 1:47 a.m.
Amirov Forever

It's so strange has quickly the rhetoric surrounding long term deals has changed over the last few years. 4 years after this upcoming season is the PERFECT term IMO. I find it weird how many people are dunking on this. The only member of the core 4 I'd be interested in giving max term to is Marner.

Let's just hope the Matthews era goes better than the Kessel era
oneX liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 8:29 a.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
It's so strange has quickly the rhetoric surrounding long term deals has changed over the last few years. 4 years after this upcoming season is the PERFECT term IMO. I find it weird how many people are dunking on this. The only member of the core 4 I'd be interested in giving max term to is Marner.

Let's just hope the Matthews era goes better than the Kessel era

I'm still sort of sour that he didn't sign an 8 year deal but...like you and others have pointed out, if the Leafs haven't been to the finals by then, it's the perfect time to rebuild.

I wonder what that would mean for Marner just because he's the hometown kid.
Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll