23$83,500,000$82,651,532$0$6,900,000$848,468
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    $9,750,000$9,750,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,200,000$3M)
    C
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C, RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,525,000$1,525,000
    LW, C, RW
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C
    RFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $9,583,333$9,583,333
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 8
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $4,725,000$4,725,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    G
    RFA - 2
    $2,333,333$2,333,333
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
    RD
    RFA - 3
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $975,000$975,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Taxi Squad
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $4,687,500$4,687,500 ($3,537,500$4M$3,537,500$4M)
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $825,000$825,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 11:27 a.m.
    Cbj don’t need another expensive winger. Pass

Edit especially at that price
    benjgc liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 11:37 a.m.
    Quoting: The_Cannon
    Cbj don’t need another expensive winger. Pass

Edit especially at that price

while from a fan perspective I would definitely agree Jarmo seems to be on some weird win now tangent despite how stacked the future is looking if they manage things properly
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
    Quoting: leafs101
    while from a fan perspective I would definitely agree Jarmo seems to be on some weird win now tangent despite how stacked the future is looking if they manage things properly

Provorov is the stop gap between the now and when he is ready to play. 2 years is perfect to give matey time to develop. Severson is also a long term stop gap to hold down jiricek and give us more established players on defense in the top 4.

I don’t see us moving out 2 young pieces plus a probable top 10 pick this year. Especially pieces that Jamro has stated will become big pieces of the future.
    The issue in Toronto is you have too much money tied up into too few players. The core 4 issue of nylander tavares marner and Mathew’s making nearly 40 million hasn’t been successful in the playoffs.
    Now the jackets have an opportunity to make a worse core 4. In werenski, laine gaudreau and nylander. 3 wingers. That’s way too much money for way too long to allocate to all of them. This would also block out money that could be used to extend Fantilli, Johnson, jiricek etc in the future.
    squashmaple and benjgc liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 11:44 a.m.
    For that price I want Matthews not nylander
    benjgc liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 11:56 a.m.
    Yegor bomb
    Since Toronto are most likely going to lose one of Nylander or Matthews I don't think you can ask that much. I honestly think Nylander would be great for CBJ. I'd change the trade and do 2024 1st (top 15 protected) + Cuelemans + Peeke (Toronto rumored to have interest in Peeke). KJ moves to 2C. Fantilli 1C. Boone moves to wing and can play C if someone goes down injured. I think Nylander can be a great fit.
    SK101 liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 11:59 a.m.
    Quoting: Civil_Eng_PE
    Since Toronto are most likely going to lose one of Nylander or Matthews I don't think you can ask that much. I honestly think Nylander would be great for CBJ. I'd change the trade and do 2024 1st (top 15 protected) + Cuelemans + Peeke (Toronto rumored to have interest in Peeke). KJ moves to 2C. Fantilli 1C. Boone moves to wing and can play C if someone goes down injured. I think Nylander can be a great fit.

A team with more nhl ready players (top4 d / top6 f)
    Will offer a more win now package than what we can offer. I look at canes as a good landing spot for him.

Edit: They can make it work, and wont trade him for scraps. But it’ll be difficult to find the right deal that helps them now.
    Civil_Eng_PE and benjgc liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:01 p.m.
    Provorov is the stop gap between the now and when he is ready to play. 2 years is perfect to give matey time to develop. Severson is also a long term stop gap to hold down jiricek and give us more established players on defense in the top 4.

I don’t see us moving out 2 young pieces plus a probable top 10 pick this year. Especially pieces that Jamro has stated will become big pieces of the future.
    The issue in Toronto is you have too much money tied up into too few players. The core 4 issue of nylander tavares marner and Mathew’s making nearly 40 million hasn’t been successful in the playoffs.
    Now the jackets have an opportunity to make a worse core 4. In werenski, laine gaudreau and nylander. 3 wingers. That’s way too much money for way too long to allocate to all of them. This would also block out money that could be used to extend Fantilli, Johnson, jiricek etc in the future.

meh, Toronto's issue is overhyped, truly just got f*cked over by the COVID flat cap, otherwise would've been totally fine.

And look, I agree with you - personally I wouldn't do it as the Jackets but just looking at how they've been dealing it wouldn't surprise me if they made a big move for Willy should he become available.

You guys didn't need those players, you had the stopgaps internally - Severson at 8 years can't possibly be considered just a "stopgap". You had Peeke, Gudbranson, Boqvist, Jiricek down the right side. For a team that should be focusing on development and rebuilding that's more than enough of a stopgap (Gudbranson signing was also baffling but that was a year ago, anyways...). And Provorov - you don't pay that much in assets for simply a "stopgap" - if you wanted that you could find that in free agency, just overpay some steady LD on a 2-3 year deal and give up no assets.

I agree totally with you in terms of the direction this team SHOULD be taking from a management perspective, but to me it just seems like Jarmo is very willing to sacrifice some future for some current players.

And hey - with such a stacked prospect pool to deal from and still keep a lot of, maybe he's right you turn out like the Devils, but I don't love the signings/moves. Love the young talent, but not the way the GM has been approaching it.
    Friendly_Cannon liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:04 p.m.

Matthews isn't going anywhere. Nylander maybe, but doesn't necessarily have to. What people don't fully grasp about Toronto is because we have so many guys on short term deals we have all the cap flexibility we need to keep everyone. Will we, is a different question. Nylander's NTC is only 10 teams, meaning there are 22 teams available to trade to, and I'd have to imagine a significant portion would be calling on Nylander. Even just as a rental that return is arguably just ok at best, it would cost more than that for Nylander.

And before the DeBrincat deal gets brought up, its all about leverage - OTT had utterly none because he basically would only sign long term in Detroit. If Nylander's really going money hunting for the 9.5-10M range, he can't/won't be particularly picky about where he ends up. Different situations.
    Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
    Yegor bomb
    Matthews isn't going anywhere. Nylander maybe, but doesn't necessarily have to. What people don't fully grasp about Toronto is because we have so many guys on short term deals we have all the cap flexibility we need to keep everyone. Will we, is a different question. Nylander's NTC is only 10 teams, meaning there are 22 teams available to trade to, and I'd have to imagine a significant portion would be calling on Nylander. Even just as a rental that return is arguably just ok at best, it would cost more than that for Nylander.

And before the DeBrincat deal gets brought up, its all about leverage - OTT had utterly none because he basically would only sign long term in Detroit. If Nylander's really going money hunting for the 9.5-10M range, he can't/won't be particularly picky about where he ends up. Different situations.

Fair enough. I tend to not offer enough when doing these. Definitely think we would have to give up more, maybe not that much more, but more!
    leafs101 liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:12 p.m.
    meh, Toronto's issue is overhyped, truly just got f*cked over by the COVID flat cap, otherwise would've been totally fine.

And look, I agree with you - personally I wouldn't do it as the Jackets but just looking at how they've been dealing it wouldn't surprise me if they made a big move for Willy should he become available.

You guys didn't need those players, you had the stopgaps internally - Severson at 8 years can't possibly be considered just a "stopgap". You had Peeke, Gudbranson, Boqvist, Jiricek down the right side. For a team that should be focusing on development and rebuilding that's more than enough of a stopgap (Gudbranson signing was also baffling but that was a year ago, anyways...). And Provorov - you don't pay that much in assets for simply a "stopgap" - if you wanted that you could find that in free agency, just overpay some steady LD on a 2-3 year deal and give up no assets.

I agree totally with you in terms of the direction this team SHOULD be taking from a management perspective, but to me it just seems like Jarmo is very willing to sacrifice some future for some current players.

And hey - with such a stacked prospect pool to deal from and still keep a lot of, maybe he's right you turn out like the Devils, but I don't love the signings/moves. Love the young talent, but not the way the GM has been approaching it.

I misspoke when I said Severson is a stop gap. He’s a top pair stop gap. He’s keeping the seat warm for jiricek while helping us stay competitive and will slide into the 2rd spot when he’s ready. Provorov was more of a gamble. Our defense was atrocious last year and we definitely didn’t have the bodies to fill in while staying competitive. Did I like the price, not really but I didn’t think it was horrible. At next years tdl we can flip him half retained for a first again and we go move on.
    Last year was an embarrassment and the team wants a total reset on the ice and in the lockerroom. Hence new d core and babs
    The team thinks it has a good enough core group (prime aged players) to be competitive or hunt for a wild card spot. While giving our young guys real competition for spots instead of them being handed out.
    Guys like marchenko, sillinger Johnson Fantilli and mateychuk will be fixtures on our team (obviously if they pan out). But they want them to step onto a competitive team, not a “carefree, resort like environment”

I’m glad we agree that this deal is bad for cbj and doesn’t make sense. But at the very core of this. We cannot pay nylander johnny and laine a total of nearly 30 million dollars. I still trust Jamro to do this right.
    Yegor bomb

Agree a ton on this. Any team that gave out long term high AAV contracts from 2017-2020 got overly screwed by Covid and all the hate those GMs get for being in cap crunches is asinine. Those GMs did great jobs with what was known at the time. Toronto should have had 5+ mil to do moves each of the last few summers but were given pretty much nothing.
    Judd Bracket ripoff
    huge over pay by CBJ both in terms of the trade adn the contract
    SK101 liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
    Yegor bomb

I’m glad we agree that this deal is bad for cbj and doesn’t make sense. But at the very core of this. We cannot pay nylander johnny and laine a total of nearly 30 million dollars. I still trust Jamro to do this right.

I actually think we can pay those 3 that money... since we have a 1C on a ELC cap hit. Laine expires right when we would have to back up the truck for Fantilli so he would be a "Cap Casualty" in 3 years. Until then we can pay those 3 top line wingers that much. Maybe I'm wrong tho, its just how I see it right now. Make a team that can compete over Fantilli's ELC contract then have guys expire once his contract comes up for a pay raise. Gudbranson's contract also comes up the same time as when Fantilli's expires (If Gudbranson doesn't get bought out before then) so we will have almost 13 mil in cap space from expiring contracts (add in what ever the cap ceiling raise is that year as well) when Fantilli's is up so we can resign him and do a retool if need be.
    Friendly_Cannon and leafs101 liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:26 p.m.
    I actually think we can pay those 3 that money... since we have a 1C on a ELC cap hit. Laine expires right when we would have to back up the truck for Fantilli so he would be a "Cap Casualty" in 3 years. Until then we can pay those 3 top line wingers that much. Maybe I'm wrong tho, its just how I see it right now. Make a team that can compete over Fantilli's ELC contract then have guys expire once his contract comes up for a pay raise. Gudbranson's contract also comes up the same time as when Fantilli's expires (If Gudbranson doesn't get bought out before then) so we will have almost 13 mil in cap space from expiring contracts (add in what ever the cap ceiling raise is that year as well) when Fantilli's is up so we can resign him and do a retool if need be.

suppose part of it for me too is that I don't see Laine there long term. And with the way the cap is heading even if you did you'd probably be ok. But no offense to the city of Columbus but dude has had to move so far from home to live in Winnipeg and Columbus. I see him signing somewhere else, either a massive city or somewhere south in the US, if he's not traded before then.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:28 p.m.

Not a bad idea, I think there is some merit there to allowing laine money to become Fantilli money.
    I think the price on nylander is really high. And I don’t think we are in the position to make a trade for him.
    signing him for free (I don’t think he gets there for the record) at that price would be acceptable my issue is more the cost of acquiring him (via trade) then signing him.
    The only concern I would have would be blocking potential long term extensions for Johnson and marchenko who I really want to lock up long term as I see both as breakout studs coming up. It’s our turn to have a Hughes mackinnion type contract.
    Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.
    Yegor bomb
    Not a bad idea, I think there is some merit there to allowing laine money to become Fantilli money.
    I think the price on nylander is really high. And I don’t think we are in the position to make a trade for him.
    signing him for free (I don’t think he gets there for the record) at that price would be acceptable my issue is more the cost of acquiring him (via trade) then signing him.
    The only concern I would have would be blocking potential long term extensions for Johnson and marchenko who I really want to lock up long term as I see both as breakout studs coming up. It’s our turn to have a Hughes mackinnion type contract.

Yeah, I can def see KJ doing a bridge and Marchenko maybe doing a Svechnikov like contract with us. Would be ideal and I think we could fit it in following seasons with Nylander (even tho I highly doubt we get him by trade or FA). Still I think things are looking up for CBJ and Jarmo is trying to align this team to compete while Fantilli is on his ELC.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:36 p.m.
    Yegor bomb
    suppose part of it for me too is that I don't see Laine there long term. And with the way the cap is heading even if you did you'd probably be ok. But no offense to the city of Columbus but dude has had to move so far from home to live in Winnipeg and Columbus. I see him signing somewhere else, either a massive city or somewhere south in the US, if he's not traded before then.

Yeah, I think Laine goes to FA or we trade him before his UFA contract year to a team that he would resign with. I think that would be a NYC or NJ team IMO. Easier travel for him to visit home or for family/friends to come see him. I do LOVE Laine tho and hope he kills it under his current deal and we can get him long term, I just know that as a smaller city that is very difficult for the team to do.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:37 p.m.
    Yeah, I can def see KJ doing a bridge and Marchenko maybe doing a Svechnikov like contract with us. Would be ideal and I think we could fit it in following seasons with Nylander (even tho I highly doubt we get him by trade or FA). Still I think things are looking up for CBJ and Jarmo is trying to align this team to compete while Fantilli is on his ELC.

If jarmo really does want to compete on his elc a center core of Fantilli, Jenner, roslovic/sillinger and kuraly isn’t the way to do it. Do you think Johnson/ sillinger can slide into that 2c spot?
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
    Yeah, I think Laine goes to FA or we trade him before his UFA contract year to a team that he would resign with. I think that would be a NYC or NJ team IMO. Easier travel for him to visit home or for family/friends to come see him. I do LOVE Laine tho and hope he kills it under his current deal and we can get him long term, I just know that as a smaller city that is very difficult for the team to do.

I love laine too, and think he will continue to crush it like last year. But I’m not worried about an extension. He genuinely seems to love it in Columbus. If the team wants/ can afford him, I see him sticking around.
    Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:46 p.m.

Leafs would never accept that
    Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:51 p.m.
    If jarmo really does want to compete on his elc a center core of Fantilli, Jenner, roslovic/sillinger and kuraly isn’t the way to do it. Do you think Johnson/ sillinger can slide into that 2c spot?

if that means Boone is available I'd happily swap out some pieces in the proposed Nylander trade to work around including him. If Fantilli really does quickly become that 1C, I think Jenner is fine as a stopgap 2C though. 20+ goals, 50+ points and can take all the tough defensive matchups. Good enough imo. If there's better available via trade or FA do it but I'd be in no very quick rush really
    Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:54 p.m.
    if that means Boone is available I'd happily swap out some pieces in the proposed Nylander trade to work around including him. If Fantilli really does quickly become that 1C, I think Jenner is fine as a stopgap 2C though. 20+ goals, 50+ points and can take all the tough defensive matchups. Good enough imo. If there's better available via trade or FA do it but I'd be in no very quick rush really

No sorry, Boone isn’t available. We need him as he is currently our best center. And the only established top 9 center we have.
    He’s not fit for top line minutes, maybe 2nd but a 3c is where he should be on a contending team.
    Civil_Eng_PE and SK101 liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
    No sorry, Boone isn’t available. We need him as he is currently our best center. And the only established top 9 center we have.
    He’s not fit for top line minutes, maybe 2nd but a 3c is where he should be on a contending team.

agree. agree he shouldn't be moved. But figured I'd shoot the shot since it kinda got brought up
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
    agree. agree he shouldn't be moved. But figured I'd shoot the shot since it kinda got brought up

Fair enough.
    Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
    I could see Laine for Nylander , but I don’t see the jackets mortgaging their future to overpay Nylander (as good as he is)
    SK101 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll