SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #4 - The quiet period

Aug. 11, 2023 at 4:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 11, 2023 at 4:42 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Its going to be Garland if anybody

Honestly I would explore Hoglander as it should be super easy and then it makes room for another youngster down the road. Then in the summer or TDL depending on position you can then sell Garland for proper value and not as a **** we dont got cap move.

So then instead of a 3rd they could potentially get a 1st.
Aug. 11, 2023 at 4:46 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: aadoyle
Honestly I would explore Hoglander as it should be super easy and then it makes room for another youngster down the road. Then in the summer or TDL depending on position you can then sell Garland for proper value and not as a **** we dont got cap move.

So then instead of a 3rd they could potentially get a 1st.

Hoglander has much more value to the team than in a trade. Unless he fetches a 1st, its not close to worth it
Aug. 11, 2023 at 7:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
With EK off the board the shift now goes to Canada as Noah Hanifin's name should come up more and more and it would not surprise me if before training camp he is on a new team.
Aug. 11, 2023 at 8:15 p.m.
Anyone want one of our 10 thousand defensemen?
Aug. 11, 2023 at 8:52 p.m.
Rangers and Redwings always get talked about having great futures, but both look like they’ll be mid for the better part of the next decade
edeangel84 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2023 at 9:29 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Db1899
Rangers and Redwings always get talked about having great futures, but both look like they’ll be mid for the better part of the next decade

I don’t think they will be competitive for another 2-3 years, or until Chiarot-Holl isn’t a thing
Aug. 11, 2023 at 9:33 p.m.
WentWughes
With EK off the board the shift now goes to Canada as Noah Hanifin's name should come up more and more and it would not surprise me if before training camp he is on a new team.

Petry is a budget Hanifin lol
Aug. 11, 2023 at 11:08 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
The offseason is back to being boring again, so I figured I'd try and give people the opportunity to brag about the NHL players they have met. Here is my resume:

- Claude Giroux in Hearst, Ontario
- Chris Simon in Longlac, Ontario (Funnily enough, he ran a hockey school about anti-bullying)

Some honorable mentions:
- Ryan Graves' dad (Works for a local mine)
- Tyler Tucker's aunt (She taught me math)

Any cool NHL player stories on the forum?

I’m late but I haven’t met any NHLers before. However I have met Carlton the bear if that counts. My dad has met Gabriel Landeskog also because he used to teach at the same school as Landy went to in junior and we have his signed jersey.
McGruff and Eissportclub liked this.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 11:09 a.m.
Edited Aug. 12, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
Randomly hyping the Coyotes.

Some combination of Keller and Schmaltz gives a very lethal skill line that can rival most of the skill in the Western Conference.

Bjugdstadt, Crouse, Maccelli is a lethal, physical, 5v5 200 foot line. Perhaps close to my ideal line if I could sculpt one. Give me infinite possibility and my perfection is pretty close this. Edit: this is very similar to Bostons sometimes 2022/2023 3rd line of Coyle, Hall, Frederic which dominated. A big responsible center who can skate, a speedy shifty finisher, and a big dude who can shoot, not get injured, and hit ppl hard.

The vet experience and presence of Zucker and Kerfoot round out secondary scoring/minute munching.

The forward group benefits from two extremely high skill rookies in Cooley and Guenther, but also proven depth in Sanford. It also benefits from high end talent who have been learning on the job - the previously mentioned Maccelli along with Barrot Hayton, and Jack McBain.

Just a really interesting forward group for the Western Conference. It seems like they will be able to either outcompete at the high end skill or 200 foot game any given night.

Their problem is defense. It’s young. Should result in fun to watch hockey tho.

I think I’d take Edmonton’s forward group over Arizonas, but that’s it. Every other west team is less attractive to me if im thinking more than very short term.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 12:22 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Bjugdstadt, Crouse, Maccelli is a lethal, physical, 5v5 200 foot line. Perhaps close to my ideal line if I could sculpt one. Give me infinite possibility and my perfection is pretty close this.

Bjugstad was great on that line, and you're right, Bear could throw them over the boards in any situation. What makes it even more interesting is that after the tdl McBain stepped right in and they didn't fall off much. Of McBain's 26 points last season, 14 came in the 20 games after the deadline when he was promoted from the fourth to replace Bjugstad.
If Hayton is left to do his Rucchin impression between Keller and Schmaltz, and McBain stays between Crouse and Maccelli, then Cooley and Bjugstad center your other two lines between some combination of Zucker, Guenther, Kerfoot, and Boyd.

I don't remember forward depth like that in AZ since the 90's.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
Bjugstad was great on that line, and you're right, Bear could throw them over the boards in any situation. What makes it even more interesting is that after the tdl McBain stepped right in and they didn't fall off much. Of McBain's 26 points last season, 14 came in the 20 games after the deadline when he was promoted from the fourth to replace Bjugstad.
If Hayton is left to do his Rucchin impression between Keller and Schmaltz, and McBain stays between Crouse and Maccelli, then Cooley and Bjugstad center your other two lines between some combination of Zucker, Guenther, Kerfoot, and Boyd.

I don't remember forward depth like that in AZ since the 90's.

You’d have to guess with Cooley that lines will be quite dynamic all season.

Should be terrifying to play against.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 12:53 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
I don’t think they will be competitive for another 2-3 years, or until Chiarot-Holl isn’t a thing

Larkin will be 30 YO , the prospect pool doesn’t have many offensive stars. I just don’t see them being contenders any time in the next decade
pinslack liked this.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
You’d have to guess with Cooley that lines will be quite dynamic all season.

Should be terrifying to play against.

I don't know about terrifying, but it should be easier for them to create a headache with favourable matchups and mismatches.

Crouse and Maccelli line can go anytime. Keller and Schmaltz line for Ozone face offs.
Then you've potentially got Zucker-Cooley-Kerfoot as your "second line" which should be safe enough to not need sheltering. Leaves a "fourth line" with Bjugstad, Boyd and Guenther which should be able to take fourth line match ups with out a problem.

Or push for more offense with Cooley and Guenther both up top with Zucker, and move Kerfoot down so your fourth line can be thrown out anytime and wears down defensemen on the forecheck all game with O'Brien/Boyd, Bjugstad, and Kerfoot.

Blue line has some talented players, but its still taped together with hopes and prayers until they show otherwise.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 1:59 p.m.

Some combination of Keller and Schmaltz gives a very lethal skill line that can rival most of the skill in the Western Conference.

Bjugdstadt, Crouse, Maccelli is a lethal, physical, 5v5 200 foot line. Perhaps close to my ideal line if I could sculpt one. Give me infinite possibility and my perfection is pretty close this. Edit: this is very similar to Bostons sometimes 2022/2023 3rd line of Coyle, Hall, Frederic which dominated. A big responsible center who can skate, a speedy shifty finisher, and a big dude who can shoot, not get injured, and hit ppl hard.

The vet experience and presence of Zucker and Kerfoot round out secondary scoring/minute munching.

The forward group benefits from two extremely high skill rookies in Cooley and Guenther, but also proven depth in Sanford. It also benefits from high end talent who have been learning on the job - the previously mentioned Maccelli along with Barrot Hayton, and Jack McBain.

Just a really interesting forward group for the Western Conference. It seems like they will be able to either outcompete at the high end skill or 200 foot game any given night.

Their problem is defense. It’s young. Should result in fun to watch hockey tho.

I think I’d take Edmonton’s forward group over Arizonas, but that’s it. Every other west team is less attractive to me if im thinking more than very short term.

i have never seen a bjugstad spelling like that holy moly
Aug. 12, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
Quoting: zk97
i have never seen a bjugstad spelling like that holy moly

I had just figured out PittsburgH.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
I don't know about terrifying, but it should be easier for them to create a headache with favourable matchups and mismatches.

Crouse and Maccelli line can go anytime. Keller and Schmaltz line for Ozone face offs.
Then you've potentially got Zucker-Cooley-Kerfoot as your "second line" which should be safe enough to not need sheltering. Leaves a "fourth line" with Bjugstad, Boyd and Guenther which should be able to take fourth line match ups with out a problem.

Or push for more offense with Cooley and Guenther both up top with Zucker, and move Kerfoot down so your fourth line can be thrown out anytime and wears down defensemen on the forecheck all game with O'Brien/Boyd, Bjugstad, and Kerfoot.

Blue line has some talented players, but its still taped together with hopes and prayers until they show otherwise.

Would be a big mistake to put Guenther on the 4th line
Aug. 12, 2023 at 4:44 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899
Would be a big mistake to put Guenther on the 4th line

Could also be a big mistake to ask Cooley and Guenther to be ready to play top six minutes when your first line is already a liability. Bear rolls four lines, so he'll get a fair share of minutes and PP time even if he was on the "fourth" line.

Guenther didn't look ready last year. Needed to polish his game, and Cooley likely will, too. He'll get PP time and situational use giving him offensive starts with decent players. Not really worried about him. Plus, Zucker is likely gone after the deadline. He'll only need to beat out Kerfoot and Boyd for top nine ice time after the deadline. If he can't do that, there are bigger problems than his line mates when he started the season.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 6:23 p.m.
WentWughes
Tomas Tatar confirmed in a Slovak interview that he's in talks with #LetsGoPens, when asked if it would be nice to play for PIT:

"It was, but I don't want to develop it further. Keep it to myself. I said a couple of times who I was talking with and it always went the other way

https://twitter.com/Flux_cc/status/1690148868954927104
edeangel84 liked this.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 6:46 p.m.
JimmyPaek
I had just figured out PittsburgH.

Leaving the h off is a sure way for people to know you aren’t from anywhere near the city lol.
CantStopWontStop, zk97 and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 6:47 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Tomas Tatar confirmed in a Slovak interview that he's in talks with #LetsGoPens, when asked if it would be nice to play for PIT:

"It was, but I don't want to develop it further. Keep it to myself. I said a couple of times who I was talking with and it always went the other way

No idea how we can pay him but sure!
Aug. 12, 2023 at 6:58 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
The offseason is back to being boring again, so I figured I'd try and give people the opportunity to brag about the NHL players they have met. Here is my resume:

- Claude Giroux in Hearst, Ontario
- Chris Simon in Longlac, Ontario (Funnily enough, he ran a hockey school about anti-bullying)

Some honorable mentions:
- Ryan Graves' dad (Works for a local mine)
- Tyler Tucker's aunt (She taught me math)

Any cool NHL player stories on the forum?

Coolest stories for me ranked by coolness:

1 Having Marcel Dionne pour me coffee at his own diner in Niagara Falls. Super nice guy and you’d never know it was him unless you knew what he looked like because he was just the guy at the diner asking how the food was lol. I look up and am like “umm woah you’re Marcel Dionne!”

2 I didn’t meet him but I was nearly run over by Jagr’s sport car when he was trying leave practice and jerk kids like myself were begging for an autograph. It was an honor to be inches away from the legend!

3 My dad met Rob Brown at a work related party near Pittsburgh. He signed a photo of himself that that my dad brought home and I still have!

4 At pens practices I’ve met Stu Barnes, Patrick Lalime, Chris Tamer, and Ian Moran. I also met former penguin Paul Stanton once when I was like 6.
Saskleaf, NorthernLeafsFan05, Tintin and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 7:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Pitt cant really afford him though as once Guentzel comes back they over the cap

Unless they move money out dont see how its possible
Aug. 12, 2023 at 7:29 p.m.
WentWughes
Pitt cant really afford him though as once Guentzel comes back they over the cap

Unless they move money out dont see how its possible

If they can get Tatar for a 1 year deal under 3m, they can pay another team to take Carter. They don't really care about their future so trading futures isn't hard for them.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 7:40 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Pens will just get older lmao
Aug. 12, 2023 at 7:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If they can get Tatar for a 1 year deal under 3m, they can pay another team to take Carter. They don't really care about their future so trading futures isn't hard for them.

Issue is I believe Carter got a NMC and I dont think hes gonna agree to waive it

Cause hes probs going why should I go to a non contender I want to try and get one more cup before I retire.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll