Forums/Armchair-GM

Finishing touches

Created by: Kyle_Davidson
Team: 2023-24 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 21, 2023
Published: Aug. 21, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is the kind of trade that would happen if there was an injury in camp, or if Ottawa felt the burning need to sign their Remaining RFA
Trades
CHI
  1. Joseph, Mathieu
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
Chicago has the option of taking the 2027 2nd round pick from OTT instead.
OTT
  1. Blackwell, Colin
Additional Details:
A similar trade to the one that brought Jason Dickinson to Chicago. In this trade Chicago gains a future asset with some flexibility. In all likelihood Chicago won’t make this draft pick but flip it for an area of need closer to contention.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$69,128,457$0$6,212,500$14,371,543
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
C
RFA - 3
$758,333$758,333
RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$505,000$505K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$325,000$325K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$962,500$962,500
G
RFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
LD
RFA - 3
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$859,167$859,167 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$758,333$758,333
LW
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$950,000$950,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
RFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 21, 2023 at 7:28 a.m.
exo2769
I feel like this one meets in the middle and I'd do it. Nothing too crazy. Sure he's got longer term than Zaitsev, but it's a lower cap hit and he's better.

I personally wouldn't have Korchinski up at the NHL level unless it's for a cup of coffee, BUT even then I'd wait until the end of the season to do it.
Hawksguy81 and Garak liked this.
Aug. 21, 2023 at 7:59 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: exo2769
I feel like this one meets in the middle and I'd do it. Nothing too crazy. Sure he's got longer term than Zaitsev, but it's a lower cap hit and he's better.

I personally wouldn't have Korchinski up at the NHL level unless it's for a cup of coffee, BUT even then I'd wait until the end of the season to do it.

The only problem with your Korchinski point is the rules regarding WHL loans and what kind of playoff run his team goes on. I think it’s important for him to get at least a taste of the NHL life this season and he’s got to be in the NHL for that to happen. My ideal schedule for Korchinsky is Sheltered NHL->WJC->WHL->Off-season->Full Time NHL. There’s obviously room to pivot if he’s obviously not ready for the NHL (would be concerning) and also to not send him to juniors if he is somehow too good.
exo2769 and Garak liked this.
Aug. 21, 2023 at 8:26 a.m.
I’d do that for sure, although I have a weird feeling Ottawa moves Kubalik instead of Joseph
Aug. 21, 2023 at 9:11 a.m.
What if Ottawa offered Chicago Brannstrom to take Joseph and a later pick if needed like a 4th?
Aug. 21, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
Quoting: Sens2030
What if Ottawa offered Chicago Brannstrom to take Joseph and a later pick if needed like a 4th?

The Hawks have a lot of young D already they are looking to make spots for. I don't think that would be as amicable to the Hawks as a 2nd round pick would be. Plus Brannstrom is already making 2M with the salary only rising next season.
Sens2030 and Garak liked this.
Aug. 21, 2023 at 12:26 p.m.
Quoting: klassic
The Hawks have a lot of young D already they are looking to make spots for. I don't think that would be as amicable to the Hawks as a 2nd round pick would be. Plus Brannstrom is already making 2M with the salary only rising next season.

Feel like Brannstrom can insolate those young D and people are able to flip him if needed.
LivingAnew liked this.
Aug. 21, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
Edited Aug. 21, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
Feel like Brannstrom can insolate those young D and people are able to flip him if needed.

I'd seriously consider that if I were the Hawks (i.e., Joseph, Brannstrom, and a 4th round pick)... I think Brannstrom can play both sides and the Hawks have very few bodies in the RD prospect pipeline. Worst case scenario is he (Brannstrom) doesn't pan out, and the Hawks don't qualify him after a year. But if Brannstrom can play okay, he could be a stop gap provision on RD. While the 2024 draft is supposed to be a good year for defensemen, it takes a LONG time for defensemen to develop - three to five years starting a year from now for most of them to matriculate into the NHL. And that's IF they make it.

It's a similar situation, imo (but shorter time frame) for the Hawks' forward prospects drafted this year. Joseph could be a useful piece to responsibly hold down a spot while the kids develop. By time HIS contract is up, some of the kids should be coming into the NHL.

And if Brannstrom turns out to be a good, reliable piece himself, that'd also be a win for the Hawks, IMO.

Bottom line: I'd take that offer. The downside seems low, and another fourth-rounder to get another bite at the draft apple is helpful, too.
Sens2030 liked this.
Aug. 21, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: Mike7856
I’d do that for sure, although I have a weird feeling Ottawa moves Kubalik instead of Joseph

It's not a weird feeling, it's logic.

- Ottawa needs PK and ES 2-way ability more than PP scoring. Joseph brings that more than Kubalik

- Kubalik returns a pick, Joseph costs a pick to move

- Kubalik is UFA-to-be and walks as Ottawa wouldn't have the cap to sign him anyway (they need to replace Tarasenko instead)

It's a no brainer really.

BAD trade. Brannstrom is quite valuable. Trade Kubalik, keep Brannstrom until you can trade him for a similar young rising 2-way forward

Quoting: LivingAnew
I'd seriously consider that if I were the Hawks (i.e., Joseph, Brannstrom, and a 4th round pick)... I think Brannstrom can play both sides (L & R), and the Hawks have very few bodies in the RD pipleline. Worst case scenario is he (Brannstrom) doesn't pan out, and the Hawks don't qualify him after a year. But if Brannstrom can play okay, he could be a stop gap provision on RD. While the 2024 draft is supposed to be a good year for defensemen, it takes a LONG time for defensemen to develop - three to five years starting a year from now for most of them to matriculate into the NHL. And that's IF they make it.

It's a similar situation, imo (but shorter time frame) for the Hawks' forward prospects drafted this year. Joseph could be a useful piece to responsibly hold down a spot while the kids develop. By time HIS contract is up, some of the kids should be coming into the NHL.

Last, if Brannstrom turns out to be a good, reliable piece himself, that'd be a win for the Hawks, IMO.

Bottom line: I'd take that offer. The downside seems low, and there'd also be a fourth-rounder to get another bite at the draft apple.

Brannstrom is already good. Ottawa doesn't sacrifice him to move out Joseph, that'd be quite stupid.

24 pts per 82 games since 21 y/o. Top-30 in defensive metrics last season. Even raised his game when called upon (when Chabot was injured)
LivingAnew and Mike7856 liked this.
Aug. 21, 2023 at 1:08 p.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit
It's not a weird feeling, it's logic.

- Ottawa needs PK and ES 2-way ability more than PP scoring. Joseph brings that more than Kubalik

- Kubalik returns a pick, Joseph costs a pick to move

- Kubalik is UFA-to-be and walks as Ottawa wouldn't have the cap to sign him anyway (they need to replace Tarasenko instead)

It's a no brainer really.

BAD trade. Brannstrom is quite valuable. Trade Kubalik, keep Brannstrom until you can trade him for a similar young rising 2-way forward

Brannstrom is already good. Ottawa doesn't sacrifice him to move out Joseph, that'd be quite stupid.

24 pts per 82 games since 21 y/o. Top-30 in defensive metrics last season. Even raised his game when called upon (when Chabot was injured)

Yeah, kinda figured that might be too good to be true... Thx for edumacation re him.

Both Joseph and Brannstrom strike me as cap casualties, not cap dumps. Both seem as good, low-cost, players with value. Too bad... It seems OTT needs to move players to get compliant. Be interesting to see what they'll do. Cheers
Aug. 21, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
Yeah, kinda figured that might be too good to be true... Thx for edumacation re him.

Both Joseph and Brannstrom strike me as cap casualties, not cap dumps. Both seem as good, low-cost, players with value. Too bad... It seems OTT needs to move players to get compliant. Be interesting to see what they'll do. Cheers

Good on you for knowing the difference between a cap dump and a cap casualty. After losing DeBrincat, Dorion thought he re-invest the AAV in another goalie and a Vladimir Tarasenko

After these 2 signings (9.0 AAV), sens got very tight but they still need to sign Pinto. It’s obvious they should go with a short year bridge with him, which should cost 1.2 to 1.5

That’s about the amount they need to clear. Either they have a guy who will start on LTIR (Norris? Forsberg? Both?) or they move someone to replace him with someone cheaper.

Based on my analysis, Kubalik is the one that makes the most sense to move. Would return an asset (Joseph would cost one), PP is already stacked, he’s UFA to be and Sens won’t have the space to re-sign him (they’ll have around 6.0 AAV to sign a forward) and Joseph is more needed on the PK and defensively at ES
Aug. 21, 2023 at 5:01 p.m.
Good on you for knowing the difference between a cap dump and a cap casualty. After losing DeBrincat, Dorion thought he re-invest the AAV in another goalie and a Vladimir Tarasenko

After these 2 signings (9.0 AAV), sens got very tight but they still need to sign Pinto. It’s obvious they should go with a short year bridge with him, which should cost 1.2 to 1.5

That’s about the amount they need to clear. Either they have a guy who will start on LTIR (Norris? Forsberg? Both?) or they move someone to replace him with someone cheaper.

Based on my analysis, Kubalik is the one that makes the most sense to move. Would return an asset (Joseph would cost one), PP is already stacked, he’s UFA to be and Sens won’t have the space to re-sign him (they’ll have around 6.0 AAV to sign a forward) and Joseph is more needed on the PK and defensively at ES

I agree with you logic of moving Kubalik and gaining an asset. First choice personally and looked at it a lot. My view is Dorion cannot stomach more failed pro side trades not working out in his favour (which has happened multiple times). Moving Kubalik highlights another mistake and selfishly based on past behaviour I think he happily pays an asset to move a Joseph over Kubalik to save face.

Joseph I believe will have a bounce back year but I wonder on how the relationship between player and club is? Maybe i've read into it too much.

Branny is great but end of the day Chychrun Chabot and Sanderson are studs. Branny on the right side doesn't compliment those d. You need two way or shut down guys of which one or two have size. I rather Chychrun on the right side. Branny needs a chance to thrive and his value will diminish not getting the minutes in Ottawa imo.

End of day to have some flexibility two of Brannstrom, Kubalik and Joseph need to go. Pinto as a 10.2 RFA and limited leverage should sign around 1.85 on a short term deal.

What kind of return would you think Kubalik can bring? still limited trading partners so value not as high. I'd happily send him back to Chicago for OTT 3rd this year and 4th in 2026 but doubt they do it.
Aug. 21, 2023 at 6:44 p.m.
I agree with you logic of moving Kubalik and gaining an asset. First choice personally and looked at it a lot. My view is Dorion cannot stomach more failed pro side trades not working out in his favour (which has happened multiple times). Moving Kubalik highlights another mistake and selfishly based on past behaviour I think he happily pays an asset to move a Joseph over Kubalik to save face.

Joseph I believe will have a bounce back year but I wonder on how the relationship between player and club is? Maybe i've read into it too much.

Branny is great but end of the day Chychrun Chabot and Sanderson are studs. Branny on the right side doesn't compliment those d. You need two way or shut down guys of which one or two have size. I rather Chychrun on the right side. Branny needs a chance to thrive and his value will diminish not getting the minutes in Ottawa imo.

End of day to have some flexibility two of Brannstrom, Kubalik and Joseph need to go. Pinto as a 10.2 RFA and limited leverage should sign around 1.85 on a short term deal.

What kind of return would you think Kubalik can bring? still limited trading partners so value not as high. I'd happily send him back to Chicago for OTT 3rd this year and 4th in 2026 but doubt they do it.

I HIGHLY doubt Chicago would take Kubalik back. Heck, it was just a year ago that they didn't even qualify him as an RFA; they let him walk for nothing. He doesn't fit our long-term plans.

The tough thing for OTT is that there are darn few teams with the cap space and the willingness to take on cap casualties like Joseph and/or Brannstrom. While Joseph has value, he'll be long gone by the time the Hawks are relevant again. So, his "value" to the Hawks lies strictly in picks or other assets that'd accompany him in trade.

Brannstrom, on the other hand (IMO), could have some value to the Hawks - creating some stability in the RD position while the soon-to-be-drafted kids marinate and develop. The RD position is probably now the weakest of the Hawks' prospect pipelines. But as with any team in a serious rebuild, the Hawks are in the business of collecting draft picks, not trading them away. And contenders wrestling with the cap are willing to trade their RD cap dumps/casualties to us - and include picks (a la Zaitsev, as you know well) that serve our rebuild.

My sense is (and I could be wrong) is that the Hawks might, MIGHT consider taking Brannstrom and Joseph off OTT's hands for F/C. I thought OTT has some youngster now (or soon) ready to step into a 3rd line RD slot, too? Maybe that would be some solace?

The bottom line is that I think OTT is in a tough spot... Contending teams with picks may want to get better but have no cap room; teams with cap room don't envision themselves in a "win now" mode, and are in the business of collecting picks or assets for the long-term, not coughing them up. And this year it seems there are VERY few teams with much cap room, at all. It's a tough conundrum. Good luck!
Aug. 21, 2023 at 8:13 p.m.

Anyone with half a hockey brain knows that Dorion is terrible at asset management. Keeping Kubalik to "save face" is only going to appease casual fans. If he spends a 2nd round pick to move Joseph (and just 1 year after trading Nick Paul to get him), he'll just cement himself as one of the worst GMs of all time even more.

If he trades Kubalik for a 2nd (which I believe is possible with his no risk low AAV year), that ADDS to the DeBrincat return > 1st + 2nd + 3rd (Sebrango) + 4th. It makes it better than letting Kubalik walk after a 33 pts season (not enough PP time left over after the 10-ish better players get it)

I was wondering why you were talking about Brannstrom suddenly, realized I quoted you on that earlier, you just didn't quote the right post.

The Athletic has Pinto at 1.78 AAV on a 2 years bridge. Ottawa will (absolutely should) sign him for just 1 years so even cheaper.

I agree Brannstrom won't be in Ottawa long term (with Kleven coming up). I want him traded for an Eeli Tolvanen type (another boat Dorion missed). There's gotta a team with a lot of forwards who could use a D-man instead.

I HIGHLY doubt Chicago would take Kubalik back. Heck, it was just a year ago that they didn't even qualify him as an RFA; they let him walk for nothing. He doesn't fit our long-term plans.

The tough thing for OTT is that there are darn few teams with the cap space and the willingness to take on cap casualties like Joseph and/or Brannstrom. While Joseph has value, he'll be long gone by the time the Hawks are relevant again. So, his "value" to the Hawks lies strictly in picks or other assets that'd accompany him in trade.

Brannstrom, on the other hand (IMO), could have some value to the Hawks - creating some stability in the RD position while the soon-to-be-drafted kids marinate and develop. The RD position is probably now the weakest of the Hawks' prospect pipelines. But as with any team in a serious rebuild, the Hawks are in the business of collecting draft picks, not trading them away. And contenders wrestling with the cap are willing to trade their RD cap dumps/casualties to us - and include picks (a la Zaitsev, as you know well) that serve our rebuild.

My sense is (and I could be wrong) is that the Hawks might, MIGHT consider taking Brannstrom and Joseph off OTT's hands for F/C. I thought OTT has some youngster now (or soon) ready to step into a 3rd line RD slot, too? Maybe that would be some solace?

The bottom line is that I think OTT is in a tough spot... Contending teams with picks may want to get better but have no cap room; teams with cap room don't envision themselves in a "win now" mode, and are in the business of collecting picks or assets for the long-term, not coughing them up. And this year it seems there are VERY few teams with much cap room, at all. It's a tough conundrum. Good luck!

Brannstrom plays LD in Ottawa (Dorion and DJ don't want him on RD for technical reasons), he's a LHD

Tyler Kleven is ready to take Brann's spot. Need a good young forward back for him, not interested to sacrifice him for moving Joseph's contract.
LivingAnew and Sens2030 liked this.
Aug. 21, 2023 at 8:21 p.m.
Anyone with half a hockey brain knows that Dorion is terrible at asset management. Keeping Kubalik to "save face" is only going to appease casual fans. If he spends a 2nd round pick to move Joseph (and just 1 year after trading Nick Paul to get him), he'll just cement himself as one of the worst GMs of all time even more.

If he trades Kubalik for a 2nd (which I believe is possible with his no risk low AAV year), that ADDS to the DeBrincat return > 1st + 2nd + 3rd (Sebrango) + 4th. It makes it better than letting Kubalik walk after a 33 pts season (not enough PP time left over after the 10-ish better players get it)

I was wondering why you were talking about Brannstrom suddenly, realized I quoted you on that earlier, you just didn't quote the right post.

The Athletic has Pinto at 1.78 AAV on a 2 years bridge. Ottawa will (absolutely should) sign him for just 1 years so even cheaper.

I agree Brannstrom won't be in Ottawa long term (with Kleven coming up). I want him traded for an Eeli Tolvanen type (another boat Dorion missed). There's gotta a team with a lot of forwards who could use a D-man instead.

Brannstrom plays LD in Ottawa (Dorion and DJ don't want him on RD for technical reasons), he's a LHD

Tyler Kleven is ready to take Brann's spot. Need a good young forward back for him, not interested to sacrifice him for moving Joseph's contract.

Ahhh; thx for that info about Brannstrom and playing on the left side. LD is the one area in which the Hawks have a solid pipeline of good prospects. I thought I read that Brannstrom played both RD and LD... Being a LD is surely not a fit for the Hawks.

Cheers
Aug. 21, 2023 at 10:00 p.m.
Ahhh; thx for that info about Brannstrom and playing on the left side. LD is the one area in which the Hawks have a solid pipeline of good prospects. I thought I read that Brannstrom played both RD and LD... Being a LD is surely not a fit for the Hawks.

Cheers

But he can play RD and if I'm not mistaken he like it more on that side. It's just that Dorion and DJ Smith have their ways
Aug. 23, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
But he can play RD and if I'm not mistaken he like it more on that side. It's just that Dorion and DJ Smith have their ways

Yeah it really is too bad he didn't pick up Tolvanen for free last year. I really like the make up of NJ and use their lines/cap hits as a benchmark for Ottawa. Im happy it's going in the right direction and firmly hope new ownership moves Dorion out.

Look forward to reading more AGM posts with more ideas as the season progresses. I just hope this last move is done sooner than later to avoid distractions for once to start the year.
Xspyrit liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah I figured it would be a long shot wanting him back. Only saw it as a short term weapon for bedard to have on the PP etc. Cheers.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll