Forums/Armchair-GM

pls do not yell at me

Created by: cbjthrowaway
Team: 2023-24 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 28, 2023
Published: Aug. 28, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
trying to see what a package would look like in the event that ep40 did become available (i don't think he will) and cbj didn't include kj or jiricek.
Trades
CBJ
  1. Pettersson, Elias
Additional Details:
signed to some kind of huge extension

yeah, i know, they'd ask for johnson or jiricek. i get it. but what team out there is realistically beating this offer that doesn't include either of them?
VAN
  1. Marchenko, Kirill
  2. Mateychuk, Denton
  3. Peeke, Andrew
  4. Sillinger, Cole
  5. 2024 1st round pick (CBJ)
  6. 2025 1st round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
could swap svozil for mateychuk or boqvist for peeke if vancouver prefers
CBJ
    anywhere (put VAN to avoid catfishing another fanbase)

would need to get jack's salary off the books to ensure they don't hit bonus overages.

would likely move boqvist as well at some point
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CBJ
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$79,270,833$0$5,050,000$4,229,167
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $7,350,000$7,350,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C, RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $9,750,000$9,750,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,200,000$3M)
    C
    RFA - 3
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,525,000$1,525,000
    LW, C, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $975,000$975,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $9,583,333$9,583,333
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 8
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $4,725,000$4,725,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    G
    RFA - 2
    $2,333,333$2,333,333
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $825,000$825,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $762,500$762,500
    LW, C
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:24 p.m.
    Ex Nucks fan
    How can you possible ask for Pettersson and not even include Jiricek or Johnson? I understand not including Fantilli, but not including Jiricek and Johnson immediately makes it insulting. Its quality>quantity. While not a terrible package, not including at least one of those two makes it unrealistic
    Nighthawk, mv21227, canucksfan43 and 2 others liked this.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
    Oh I will yell at you.
    You're not getting Pettersson.
    Both teams declined this trade.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:27 p.m.
    The offer starts with one of Johnson/Fantilli/Jiricek, if not two of them
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:29 p.m.
    2018 Canucks
    Was
    Quoting: Juiceman
    How can you possible ask for Pettersson and not even include Jiricek or Johnson? I understand not including Fantilli, but not including Jiricek and Johnson immediately makes it insulting. Its quality>quantity. While not a terrible package, not including at least one of those two makes it unrealistic

Was just thinking similarly. Need one big fish to start trade talks. I start with Fantilli which will get plenty of flak of course. Then onto Jiricek that only begins the package. CBJ adding Petey to Fantilli jump starts them into the limelight of serious contention when they have Johnny & Laine to go with Johnson & plenty of good looking D.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
    cbjthrowaway
    Quoting: Juiceman

i 100% get why this is the vancouver fan sentiment. yes, the ask would start with johnson/jiricek. that's not the point of this – the point of this is to show what CBJ would counter with.

even without johnson or jiricek… i don't know if there's a better offer out there? sillinger, marchenko and mateychuk are all equal to most teams' top prospects, the two firsts are valuable given cbj's problems in goal + the absurdly difficult metro division, and even peeke as a throw-in is a cost-controlled RHD with size.

Quoting: Vancity2196
    Oh I will yell at you.
    You're not getting Pettersson.
    Both teams declined this trade.

imo cbj doesn't decline this. it's a lot to give up, but the pettersson + fantilli foundation is worth it.

vancouver definitely asks for johnson or jiricek. the point of making this is seeing if cbj's counter to that would still be enough to outbid the field.

you can sit there all day and say "well, you're not giving up any of your top three prospects" – and i understand why! – but i'd counter that by saying that they'd be largely bidding against teams that couldn't match this kind of offer – both in terms of pick value and prospect quality/quantity.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:37 p.m.
    That’s an insane package that the jackets would never offer
    CBJ_Bob liked this.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:39 p.m.
    Lots of teams could put together an attractive package for a player like Petey; Columbus is not the only team with good prospects. But would Petey want to sign there long term 🤔?
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:40 p.m.
    cbjthrowaway
    Quoting: mv21227
    The offer starts with one of Johnson/Fantilli/Jiricek, if not two of them

the ask starts with that. there's no way columbus begins the offer with that. other teams don't have anything in that stratosphere to offer.

the whole "it's not serious if you don't give up one of your top three prospects" thing is arbitrary. they don't have to do that, they just have to outbid whatever packages other teams put together.

again, i ask: what team is going to beat this offer? if you can point to one (or multiple) that can easily match or outbid this, then we can talk about adding johnson.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:52 p.m.
    Quoting: cbjthrowaway
    the ask starts with that. there's no way columbus begins the offer with that. other teams don't have anything in that stratosphere to offer.

the whole "it's not serious if you don't give up one of your top three prospects" thing is arbitrary. they don't have to do that, they just have to outbid whatever packages other teams put together.

again, i ask: what team is going to beat this offer? if you can point to one (or multiple) that can easily match or outbid this, then we can talk about adding johnson.

Montreal, Carolina, and Detroit could beat this package. Other teams that could if interested (but aren’t necessarily likely to be interested) are Buffalo, New Jersey, Dallas

You aren’t getting a 24 year old borderline top 5C/borderline top 10 skater without giving up one of the 3 big fish prospects you have. It takes quality, not quantity
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 4:54 p.m.

Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal for starters - all could offer competitive packages. And all have room to fit him in cap wise
    mv21227 liked this.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 5:19 p.m.
    cbjthrowaway
    Quoting: MitchJr
    Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal for starters - all could offer competitive packages. And all have room to fit him in cap wise

Quoting: mv21227
    Montreal, Carolina, and Detroit could beat this package. Other teams that could if interested (but aren’t necessarily likely to be interested) are Buffalo, New Jersey, Dallas

what would the specific asks be for those teams, though?

the prospects in this cbj offer beat what montreal and dallas would be willing to offer. new jersey doesn't have the cap. carolina doesn't have the cap to do it this year unless vancouver wants to take back money/rentals. cbj's picks are far more valuable and make up the rest of the difference.

that leaves buffalo and detroit. i still don't think they'd offer enough to where cbj couldn't outbid without giving up jiricek/johnson, but then again, i still haven't seen a specific offer from those teams.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.
    Fire J.D. too
    No world exists where jackets give even that package for EP, just not worth it for 1 guy. Yes, he's a top flight C and still young, but Columbus has been building something special here and there's no point in blowing it up now. We Stay the course, we already have all the pieces in place. Just give it another year or two and it'll be obvious.
    Indy liked this.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.

the prospects in this cbj offer beat what montreal and dallas would be willing to offer. new jersey doesn't have the cap. carolina doesn't have the cap to do it this year unless vancouver wants to take back money/rentals. cbj's picks are far more valuable and make up the rest of the difference.

that leaves buffalo and detroit. i still don't think they'd offer enough to where cbj couldn't outbid without giving up jiricek/johnson, but then again, i still haven't seen a specific offer from those teams.

I’m not following your logic here…Blue Jackets have a strong prospect pool (top 5) but so do many other teams. You’re not offering your top prospects but you can still somehow outbid other teams? That makes no sense 🤦🏻. For a player like Petey (assuming he’s even available) - a young, top 10, 100 point, 2 way centre - you won’t get him by nickel & diming.
    mv21227 liked this.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 6:39 p.m.
    i 100% get why this is the vancouver fan sentiment. yes, the ask would start with johnson/jiricek. that's not the point of this – the point of this is to show what CBJ would counter with.

even without johnson or jiricek… i don't know if there's a better offer out there? sillinger, marchenko and mateychuk are all equal to most teams' top prospects, the two firsts are valuable given cbj's problems in goal + the absurdly difficult metro division, and even peeke as a throw-in is a cost-controlled RHD with size.

imo cbj doesn't decline this. it's a lot to give up, but the pettersson + fantilli foundation is worth it.

vancouver definitely asks for johnson or jiricek. the point of making this is seeing if cbj's counter to that would still be enough to outbid the field.

you can sit there all day and say "well, you're not giving up any of your top three prospects" – and i understand why! – but i'd counter that by saying that they'd be largely bidding against teams that couldn't match this kind of offer – both in terms of pick value and prospect quality/quantity.

Yeah but Columbus has Kent Johnson, Adam Fantilli, Johnny Gaudreau, Patrick Laine, etc.
    There's no need to have a guy like Elias Pettersson.
    Elias Pettersson deserves to be a Canuck long term.
    Aug. 28, 2023 at 7:13 p.m.
    Indy
    Edited Aug. 28, 2023 at 7:47 p.m.
    This is one of those ideas where if your throwing out that much in assets its just not worth it. We are not yet to the point you bet the farm on one player to get you across the finish line. Also super blockbuster trades don't happen anymore really. Its been 5+ years since we saw a super trade involving 3+ 1st round pick equivalents being moved (2018 EK65 to me is like the last "super trade" I can remember if I am wrong someone correct me). If its gonna cost you that much its just not worth it and could cause your franchise to reset if it goes south (ie Jones trade).
    squashmaple liked this.
    Aug. 29, 2023 at 4:31 p.m.

I think the problem is you're not offering up any blue chip high end prospects for arguably a current top5 center. If development goes really well the most likely outcome for Marchenko/Sillinger/Mateychuk is 2nd line winger/2nd line center/2nd pair dman. The first round picks are likely in the 15-20 range with Petterson at center in Columbus so while you could add up everything and say look you're getting 4-5 first rounders I don't see any single piece that is going to wow Vancouver.

Just spitballing ideas, I have no idea if the teams below would trade the players for a player like Petterson or not. While your CBJ offer has more 1st rounder quantity I think any of the offers below would be more attractive in terms of quality to Vancouver.
    Anaheim - Carlsson, Mintyukov, maybe 1 1st rounder
    Buffalo - Benson, Rosen, 2 1st rounders
    Detroit - Edvinsson, Kasper, 1 1st rounder

Arizona may be able to actually put together the best quality package but I'm leaving them out of everything until they play in an NHL arena.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll