Forums/Armchair-GM

To all sens fans trading Kubalik to Montreal

Created by: Taz
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 17, 2023
Published: Oct. 17, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If you wouldn't accept this trade, please don't make similar offers with Kubalik. Habs are not interrested.
Trades
MTL
  1. 2024 6th round pick (OTT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$68,392,916$1,170,000$4,210,000$15,107,084
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 2
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 17, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
well i woukd rather have kubalik than armia.
Xspyrit and OwnGoal liked this.
Oct. 17, 2023 at 1:42 p.m.
I've seen a lot of dumb Kubalik trades, but the idea that Kubalik, who is actually a good player and who is on the last year of a relatively inexpensevie contract, is a good comparison with Armia, who is an AHLer who's contract expires next season and who makes almost a million more than Kubalik.

Kubalik had more points last season than in Armia's last three seasons combined
Fergy22 and Xspyrit liked this.
Oct. 17, 2023 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: rosenj
I've seen a lot of dumb Kubalik trades, but the idea that Kubalik, who is actually a good player and who is on the last year of a relatively inexpensevie contract, is a good comparison with Armia, who is an AHLer who's contract expires next season and who makes almost a million more than Kubalik.

Kubalik had more points last season than in Armia's last three seasons combined

I don't compare Kubalik to Armia. I compare the trade frame. People are ready to give Kubalik for free because he's considered as a cap dump (because it's blocking Pinto's signing). Montreal is not taking a rival's cap dump for free, the same way as Ottawa would not touch our cap dump either.
Oct. 17, 2023 at 1:58 p.m.
That's not really a fair comparison.

What I would say is that Montreal's level of interest in Kubalik is likely the same as Ottawa's in Armia. That is to say, its less than non-existent.
Taz liked this.
Oct. 17, 2023 at 2:02 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Taz
I don't compare Kubalik to Armia. I compare the trade frame. People are ready to give Kubalik for free because he's considered as a cap dump (because it's blocking Pinto's signing). Montreal is not taking a rival's cap dump for free, the same way as Ottawa would not touch our cap dump either.

Kubalik isn’t a cap dump. You can flip him for a 3rd at the deadline
Oct. 17, 2023 at 2:21 p.m.
Actually wild to compare a 20 goal scoring winger making a completely reasonable 2.5 mil to the Armia deal lmao.
Oct. 17, 2023 at 2:35 p.m.
Quoting: csick

Then wait and do it by yourself at TDL lol
drambui liked this.
Oct. 17, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
lol I was wondering what we would find in here...

Problem you have is :

- Kubalik >>> Armia, and he has 1 year at 2.5 AAV vs 2 years at 3.4 AAV for Armia. It's self explanatory

- Ottawa doesn't have cap space, they wouldn't be able to make that trade even if they wanted. Montreal can afford to add Kubalik.

- Armia is a pure cap dump, as evidenced by him being in the AHL when guys like Pearson and Pezzetta on the NHL roster. Kubalik is NOT a cap dump, he is easily worth his 2.5 AAV

- Montreal is rebuilding, getting a player for cheap then sell him for more at the deadline is exactly the type of moves rebuilding teams look to do

Quoting: Burnout
What I would say is that Montreal's level of interest in Kubalik is likely the same as Ottawa's in Armia. That is to say, its less than non-existent.

Unless you're connected to Habs management, how would you know that? Or maybe you were talking about Habs fans?

Kubalik 45 pts would have been 2nd on the Habs last season, and would have outpaced most forwards too.

Then wait and do it by yourself at TDL lol

That's not how the world works. Teams serve their own interest. Any team who has a NEED for a scoring middle-six winger or any team wanting to make a PROFIT at the deadline would look to acquire Kubalik.
Oct. 17, 2023 at 3:14 p.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit

Problem you have is :

- Kubalik >>> Armia, and he has 1 year at 2.5 AAV vs 2 years at 3.4 AAV for Armia. It's self explanatory

- Ottawa doesn't have cap space, they wouldn't be able to make that trade even if they wanted. Montreal can afford to add Kubalik.

- Armia is a pure cap dump, as evidenced by him being in the AHL when guys like Pearson and Pezzetta on the NHL roster. Kubalik is NOT a cap dump, he is easily worth his 2.5 AAV

- Montreal is rebuilding, getting a player for cheap then sell him for more at the deadline is exactly the type of moves rebuilding teams look to do

Unless you're connected to Habs management, how would you know that? Or maybe you were talking about Habs fans?

Kubalik 45 pts would have been 2nd on the Habs last season, and would have outpaced most forwards too.

That's not how the world works. Teams serve their own interest. Any team who has a NEED for a scoring middle-six winger or any team wanting to make a PROFIT at the deadline would look to acquire Kubalik.

just for your last point, maybe you can flio him at the deadline and make profit. but maybe you think ottawa is desperate with the cap, so you can have them pay you to take him AND flip him for profit. I bet this is what GMs are having in mind.
Oct. 17, 2023 at 3:46 p.m.
Jeff Gorton
Quoting: csick

Context matters. Kubalik is a cap dump to the HABS. He is a cap dump for any team with the cap to take him since they are rebuilding and dont need a 28 year old. Amd the teams that would want him cannot afford it cap wise. So the Sens either take back a contract (which they wont since they themselves need cap space) or the pay a team to use a retention spot and eat 1.25m which would cost a 4th in itself.
Oct. 17, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit

Problem you have is :

Rebuilding teams aren't paying any asset for rentals, they keep their assets for drafting or targetting young cost controlled players that fit their time frame. Rebuilding teams give ice time to their young players without caring about if they do some mistakes, they don't need rentals.

Montreal don't have any NEED for top 6 / top 9 players. They don't especially need anything because of Dach injury, maybe if Kubalik played center but he don't.

Ottawa NEED a lot more getting rid of Kubalik than MTL needs to acquire a 28yo rental (no matter how good). Based on that Ottawa urgency, they would have to pay something significant for habs to consider this trade. It's not because Montreal has cap space that they are likely to help Ottawa for free. A rental would cost Montreal developping time for their young players, at this point fans would prefer seing Joshua Roy in the NHL than any rental.
Oct. 18, 2023 at 10:33 a.m.
Quoting: drambui
just for your last point, maybe you can flio him at the deadline and make profit. but maybe you think ottawa is desperate with the cap, so you can have them pay you to take him AND flip him for profit. I bet this is what GMs are having in mind.

Ottawa isn't in the business of selling assets at the deadline, unless they miss out on the season completely.

It doesn't look like they're that desperate, if they were they would have paid to move someone already. The team is without Norris and Pinto and are doing quite well, even in the game they lost, it took mistakes and bad goals from Stutzle/Korpisalo when the game was on the line.

Rebuilding teams aren't paying any asset for rentals, they keep their assets for drafting or targetting young cost controlled players that fit their time frame. Rebuilding teams give ice time to their young players without caring about if they do some mistakes, they don't need rentals.

Montreal don't have any NEED for top 6 / top 9 players. They don't especially need anything because of Dach injury, maybe if Kubalik played center but he don't.

Ottawa NEED a lot more getting rid of Kubalik than MTL needs to acquire a 28yo rental (no matter how good). Based on that Ottawa urgency, they would have to pay something significant for habs to consider this trade. It's not because Montreal has cap space that they are likely to help Ottawa for free. A rental would cost Montreal developping time for their young players, at this point fans would prefer seing Joshua Roy in the NHL than any rental.

I understand your point but this isn't like having to move Monahan and his $6,375,000 AAV for example, we're talking about a 2.5 AAV (Kubalik)... I mean the minimum NHL salary is $775,000
It's ok if you don't want Kubalik, Montreal (or any other team) could think differently though. This isn't really "paying any asset for rentals", it's investing at a discount for a profit in a few months but I don't mind if the Habs don't do it, I have not been pushing for it. Any team will do, it just takes ONE team who has a NEED or a DESIRE to make a profit

But don't worry, I understand your premise, however the Armia thing was an inefficient way to make your point across

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll