SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #2: Early Overreactions

Dec. 1, 2023 at 9:28 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Gonna make an early prediction

Jake Allen = NJ

Elvis = EDM

I still think Reimer fits better in Edmonton; especially if they want to a skater
Dec. 1, 2023 at 9:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I still think Reimer fits better in Edmonton; especially if they want to a skater

Det is competing I dont see it. They want 3 good goalies for emergency

As they love all 3 so much they not risking waiving.

Allen makes sense as MTL is rebuilding
Dec. 1, 2023 at 9:32 p.m.
Ban Price trades

Elvis is likely the only maneuver the club can make while hitting the ejecto-seat on Campbell at the same time. There very well could be a rush from the Oilers' front office to get him out of town that we don't know about. Personally I think the only viable "right-now" solution is Halak. Until the Oilers take the wobble out of their goaltending, the trade market is poised to be very unfavourable to them. Unless there are more pieces involved in a potential Campbell-for-Merzlikins swap, it seems very deck-chairs-on-the-Titanic.

Which is to also say its a typical Ken Holland move.

I also think that the skater Edmonton wants to add recently had his contract torn up. Bringing in Perry for peanuts would open up some much-needed flexibility for the club to prioritize making moves elsewhere.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 9:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Elvis is likely the only maneuver the club can make while hitting the ejecto-seat on Campbell at the same time. There very well could be a rush from the Oilers' front office to get him out of town that we don't know about. Personally I think the only viable "right-now" solution is Halak. Until the Oilers take the wobble out of their goaltending, the trade market is poised to be very unfavourable to them. Unless there are more pieces involved in a potential Campbell-for-Merzlikins swap, it seems very deck-chairs-on-the-Titanic.

I also think that the skater Edmonton wants to add recently had his contract torn up. Bringing in Perry for peanuts would open up some much-needed flexibility for the club to prioritize making moves elsewhere.

So I did the math. If they trade Foegele as part of the deal, get CBJ to re 1.5m and send down Broberg even with Jack in the minors they can make the deal

But yea I feel Elvis might be an Oiler soon or not idk depends on if they keep winning
Dec. 1, 2023 at 9:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I wonder if NJ would be willing to move Marino if things dont turn out as planned

As im just saying for the future Nemec is coming around and than Casey would also be knocking at the door

And trust with the term and other factors would get a pretty nice return.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 9:52 p.m.
I wonder if NJ would be willing to move Marino if things dont turn out as planned

As im just saying for the future Nemec is coming around and than Casey would also be knocking at the door

Maybe a couple of years from now…but unlikely any time soon. We just lost Hamilton for probably the season. And Casey probably doesn’t arrive until April 2025.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 9:57 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

Offseason 2025 assuming casey is ready for the big show
Dec. 2, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Dec. 2, 2023 at 9:45 a.m.
When Elite Defenceman, sorry I mean, Power Forward of the San Jose Sharks - Jacob MacDonald#9 gets traded for a 2nd at an aav of 300 pesos - you’ll all be scared of the new face of the league.

9 games, 3 foals and 1 assist.

Granlund is also back, guy may be traded this TDL with how good he’s been since turning it on a few weeks ago.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2023 at 9:44 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Maybe a couple of years from now…but unlikely any time soon. We just lost Hamilton for probably the season. And Casey probably doesn’t arrive until April 2025.

Why do the devils not want to give us their first so bad smh
Dec. 2, 2023 at 9:46 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

I’ll still beat my Kaapo drum.
He’s been so good, he’s been overshadowed by Blackwood - lastnight vs Devils he literally stole the game.

Elvis is still a lateral financially and doesn’t move the needle imo with the pros vs cons, and Allen will be 34 - although he’s the only other realistic option.
Dec. 2, 2023 at 10:19 a.m.
Quoting: yikes
Why do the devils not want to give us their first so bad smh

Help us out!
Dec. 2, 2023 at 10:47 a.m.
WentWughes
Forward Alex Newhook will be out for approximately 10 to 12 weeks due to a high ankle sprain.

HOLY **** IT DOESN'T STOP
Dec. 2, 2023 at 11:35 a.m.
He’s been so good, he’s been overshadowed by Blackwood - lastnight vs Devils he literally stole the game.

Elvis is still a lateral financially and doesn’t move the needle imo with the pros vs cons, and Allen will be 34 - although he’s the only other realistic option.

Two things.

1) The season started with Kahkonen giving up 4 goals against the Golden Knights (.875 SV%). Not horrible; probably expected. But then Blackwood plays the Avs in the next game and pulls a Hasek-esque performance with 51 save, 1 goal against and a .981 Shootout loss.

2) Kahkonen has been better recently; but overall he has just as many really bad games as good ones this year; whereas Blackwood about a 2-1 ratio. It does seem that the Sharks are trusting him a little more in the rotation. If he can put together a few more good games to show more consistentcy then I think he'll get some more respect/buzz.
Dec. 2, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Forward Alex Newhook will be out for approximately 10 to 12 weeks due to a high ankle sprain.

HOLY **** IT DOESN'T STOP

Was there a curse placed on the Habs 2C spot? Like maybe just skip a "2nd line" on the lineup card like the 13th floor in some buildings.
Dec. 2, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.
Was there a curse placed on the Habs 2C spot? Like maybe just skip a "2nd line" on the lineup card like the 13th floor in some buildings.

Nope, the Habs have just had horrid injury luck since 2021
Dec. 2, 2023 at 12:25 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Two things.

1) The season started with Kahkonen giving up 4 goals against the Golden Knights (.875 SV%). Not horrible; probably expected. But then Blackwood plays the Avs in the next game and pulls a Hasek-esque performance with 51 save, 1 goal against and a .981 Shootout loss.

2) Kahkonen has been better recently; but overall he has just as many really bad games as good ones this year; whereas Blackwood about a 2-1 ratio. It does seem that the Sharks are trusting him a little more in the rotation. If he can put together a few more good games to show more consistentcy then I think he'll get some more respect/buzz.

I also say though if you scout the Sharks games - Kaapo has let in a few stinkers but there hasn’t been more than 1 game I recall saying Kaapo lost us that (I think there was one where he just clearly had a bad showing). they were a brutal team to start the year and still kinda are, I don’t often watch and think “that’s on the goalies”. Kahkonens goals against lastnight for example, he played phenomenal and the goals that beat him were beyond average chances/ defensive breakdowns (1 pretty play/ exposing SJS, Hughes perfect snipe, and I can’t remember the other without watching VOD). Blackwoods just been unreal - and the analytics also help him.

I think EDM could get Kaapo and have him under a 3.5 aav and he himself at most, if Holland was hammered, would ever cost a 2nd (again that’s a pipe dream). So he’d really cost around a 3rd ish give or take at best. Which is far cheaper than Allen would probably be, and many of the other options are laterals.

If I am EDM I take a swing with Kaapo like VGK did with Adin Hill (and we see how well that worked out), and I also ask for Rutta/ Benning/ Knyzhov so they upgrade D depth. They each arent going to move the needle in terms of what EDM has to pay by much. And even more so, San Jose could be a one stop shop if they try and buy low on a SJS forward. To me, any team that needs cap help + upgrade could get a lot done if they try to get the most out of Grier.
Dec. 2, 2023 at 12:31 p.m.
Tyson Barrie has the permission to talk to other teams for a trade
Dec. 2, 2023 at 1:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: pinslack
Tyson Barrie has the permission to talk to other teams for a trade

Wonder where he goes

Considering hes all offense no defense I dont see many going head over heels for him
Dec. 2, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
Ban Price trades

I also say though if you scout the Sharks games - Kaapo has let in a few stinkers but there hasn’t been more than 1 game I recall saying Kaapo lost us that (I think there was one where he just clearly had a bad showing). they were a brutal team to start the year and still kinda are, I don’t often watch and think “that’s on the goalies”. Kahkonens goals against lastnight for example, he played phenomenal and the goals that beat him were beyond average chances/ defensive breakdowns (1 pretty play/ exposing SJS, Hughes perfect snipe, and I can’t remember the other without watching VOD). Blackwoods just been unreal - and the analytics also help him.

I think EDM could get Kaapo and have him under a 3.5 aav and he himself at most, if Holland was hammered, would ever cost a 2nd (again that’s a pipe dream). So he’d really cost around a 3rd ish give or take at best. Which is far cheaper than Allen would probably be, and many of the other options are laterals.

If I am EDM I take a swing with Kaapo like VGK did with Adin Hill (and we see how well that worked out), and I also ask for Rutta/ Benning/ Knyzhov so they upgrade D depth. They each arent going to move the needle in terms of what EDM has to pay by much. And even more so, San Jose could be a one stop shop if they try and buy low on a SJS forward. To me, any team that needs cap help + upgrade could get a lot done if they try to get the most out of Grier.

Even if Kahkonen was being considered as a candidate (I wouldn't say no), there's still the issue of Campbell to be managed. A buyout is an excellent solution, but it is a solution over half a year away, with over four months of cost against the salary cap left to burn. I had previously discussed with a couple of Sharks and Oilers fans in an AGM where my offer of Bourgault, Broberg, the 2025 1st, and Campbell would not fetch Blackwood. The two netminders should be about equal in value given their situation: this is already a lot of capital to try and move for a maybe asset, having to add more makes this less and less worthwhile for Edmonton.

Likewise, Kaapo Kahkonen could be had next summer, presumably two weeks after Jack Campbell is bought out. Edmonton ends up eating some dead cap in the process, but keeps its assets for immediate roster improvement come the deadline. This is why, with the exception of the Merzlikins case, I will continue to insist that Halak or another sub-$1M temporary netminder is the optimal route for Edmonton. The Oilers don't need to pay the Greed Tax on teams taking advantage of their trying to move Campbell while upgrading their goaltending. Elvis comes at the unique opportunity of being a complete salary wash and about as good/bad as Campbell had been before his demotion.

In his last 10 starts, Skinner has delivered .900sv% goaltending and the Oilers are 7-3 in that span. The team played well enough where the losses to Tampa and Carolina statistically could have gone either way. Edmonton does not need .930sv% goaltending to win (goddamn, it would be nice though). They just need tolerable netminding. If this team gets a league-average goaltender who can maintain something within a point of league average (literally .903sv%) we can probably start re-engaging in Edmonton-as-a-contender conversations.
HockeyScotty and yikes liked this.
Dec. 2, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Wonder where he goes

Considering hes all offense no defense I dont see many going head over heels for him

Washington makes a lot of sense considering their powerplay is in the dumps. Takes some of the burden off of Carlson. Alexeyev could use a fresh start and the Capitals have multiple second-round picks to choose from in 2025.
Dec. 2, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Washington makes a lot of sense considering their powerplay is in the dumps. Takes some of the burden off of Carlson. Alexeyev could use a fresh start and the Capitals have multiple second-round picks to choose from in 2025.

No joke was actually thinking CGY as their PP was at 12%

They just moved Zadorov and if Barrie costs like a 5th or nothing just do it

As WSH has Sandin and Carlsson and those two should be good on the PP. As WSH issue rn is they got 6 nice D and I dont see where he would play

With Zadorov being moved I could see Barrie over there
Dec. 2, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
Ban Price trades
No joke was actually thinking CGY as their PP was at 12%

They just moved Zadorov and if Barrie costs like a 5th or nothing just do it

As WSH has Sandin and Carlsson and those two should be good on the PP. As WSH issue rn is they got 6 nice D and I dont see where he would play

With Zadorov being moved I could see Barrie over there

Calgary shouldn't be buying expiring deals.

Unfortunately for the Capitals, should has not equated to reality. Their PP% is clicking at an astonishingly bad 8.5%. They can probably afford to back off on the special teams icetime for both Carlson and Sandin at that rate: the entire thing isn't working and needs an overhaul.

A Fehervary-Barrie pairing probably does rather well considering the polarity of their skillsets. Sandin can continue playing far too many minutes with either Carlson or Jensen, and TVR can substitute in when it's needed. Edmundson is better as a scratch anyways.
Dec. 2, 2023 at 2:13 p.m.
Jamie Benn is BACK
Last year, it was Benn. This year, the old Tyler Seguin might be back...
Dec. 2, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Why did the Sharks waive Knyzhov?
Dec. 2, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
WentWughes
Vasi looks BADDD

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll