SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

Jan. 8 at 12:09 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
The pushback I would have for that is if we're being logical, in this case the percentage of the cap on the day each player signs their name is not nearly as important as the fact that they will be making the same percentage of the cap for the entire overlap of those contracts - which in this case is 7 years. Like we knew when Pasta signed that we were going to be turning a corner with the cap in the near future. Less than 12 months between signing dates and a cap increase that was projected, the % thing really starts to lose its validity, imo.

that's why a guy like Matthews and his team are smart for shorter term deals that can take advantage of higher cap ceilings (and contracts that will expire while he's still in his prime).

but I don't follow your logic...the same cap forecasting when Pasta signed is the same cap forecasting now.

Does anyone think Auston is more valuable than McDavid? No. Probably close...but no. So why does he get more money? Cap % has to be used so that the time value of the contract when it's signed is congruent with where that player is valued amongst his peers throughout the league.

But it's easy to say...I'd rather have Pasta for the same money. If Pasta was signing this off-season logic would put him at $11.84m....and it would be completely fair to still say you'd rather have him at $11.8 vs Nylander at $11.5...but I don't think it's fair to automatically label Nylander's deal as terrible when comparing it to guys like Pasta, Panarin, Gaudreau, etc.
Jan. 8 at 12:14 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Fun fact, Nylander is only the second player in Leafs history to sign an 8 year deal
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 8 at 12:16 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Fun fact, Nylander is only the second player in Leafs history to sign an 8 year deal

Similar cap% too funny enough
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Jan. 8 at 12:30 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
that's why a guy like Matthews and his team are smart for shorter term deals that can take advantage of higher cap ceilings (and contracts that will expire while he's still in his prime).

but I don't follow your logic...the same cap forecasting when Pasta signed is the same cap forecasting now.

Does anyone think Auston is more valuable than McDavid? No. Probably close...but no. So why does he get more money? Cap % has to be used so that the time value of the contract when it's signed is congruent with where that player is valued amongst his peers throughout the league.

But it's easy to say...I'd rather have Pasta for the same money. If Pasta was signing this off-season logic would put him at $11.84m....and it would be completely fair to still say you'd rather have him at $11.8 vs Nylander at $11.5...but I don't think it's fair to automatically label Nylander's deal as terrible when comparing it to guys like Pasta, Panarin, Gaudreau, etc.

Because the overlap of those contracts is incredibly limited (Auston's camp is smart in this) and it's a bit of a different animal when you're dealing with that tier of player.

All I'm saying is that the cap % argument with Pasta falls apart when A) The contracts overlap for nearly their entire course, and B) Willy's percentage is closer to Pasta's then it has any right to be.

At the end of the day, I'd still much rather overpay Willy by this margin than not have him at all, but Brad got taken to the cleaners and it's fine to admit that rather than try to justify it.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 8 at 12:49 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Nylander isn't outplaying Matthews this year... This year, Matthews literally has no weakness... Whereas Nylander plays on the 2nd line and getting 2nd line competition...

He's not an 11 million dollar player... And we aren't even exploring Nylander's defensive issues...

Matthews is a player you overpay... guys like Nylander and Marner aren't...

You are just silly
Jan. 8 at 12:56 p.m.
Rip
Nylander is worth this much. Should have had him for less but that ship sailed in the off season.

Let's just take a deep breath and say whatever. It's done now. Let's enjoy this monster seasons he's putting up and hope they fix the defence.

Unfortunately now we can enjoy endless Marner for scraps trade proposals.
Jan. 8 at 12:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
For Nylander sake and the team sake this cannot be a one off season that's all in gonna sayas what happened with Marner will happen to him

Still can't believe he got more than Pastranak whose better. Anyways now we got 4 guys in double digits
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 8 at 12:59 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
You are just silly

Says the person who thinks Matthews isn't the runaway best player on the Leafs
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 8 at 1:09 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Says the person who thinks Matthews isn't the runaway best player on the Leafs

I think he is the best but it's undeniable that Nylander is having an epic season. He's been all over the ice, and has been killing penalties coming back in his zone and has been blasting off. You can keep pointing to other seasons to justify getting mad about this but it's pretty clear you just refuse to acknowledge this season because you don't want to admit he's amazing.
Jan. 8 at 1:14 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Because the overlap of those contracts is incredibly limited (Auston's camp is smart in this) and it's a bit of a different animal when you're dealing with that tier of player.

All I'm saying is that the cap % argument with Pasta falls apart when A) The contracts overlap for nearly their entire course, and B) Willy's percentage is closer to Pasta's then it has any right to be.

At the end of the day, I'd still much rather overpay Willy by this margin than not have him at all, but Brad got taken to the cleaners and it's fine to admit that rather than try to justify it.

So where do we draw the line? 1year separation? 2? 3?

How are team's supposed to budget? How does either side accurately evaluate a player's worth if that budget is not apples to apples?

Don't get me wrong...I agree that his % is too high...and too close to Pastrnak....but when you look logically at the numbers...I think we're looking at an overpayment of about $500k/yr overpayment. This contract is a win for Nylander and his camp, IMO....I just don't think it's as dramatically bad as many are complaining about
Jan. 8 at 1:15 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
I think he is the best but it's undeniable that Nylander is having an epic season. He's been all over the ice, and has been killing penalties coming back in his zone and has been blasting off. You can keep pointing to other seasons to justify getting mad about this but it's pretty clear you just refuse to acknowledge this season because you don't want to admit he's amazing.

He's had a good offensive season... Doesn't make him an 11 million dollar player
Jan. 8 at 1:23 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
For Nylander sake and the team sake this cannot be a one off season that's all in gonna sayas what happened with Marner will happen to him

Still can't believe he got more than Pastranak whose better. Anyways now we got 4 guys in double digits

Where is this narrative that Marner didn't live up to his deal after signing his extension coming from? The season before he extended, he put up 94 points in 82 games which is 1.15pts/gm. Every year since:

2019-20: 67pts in 59 games - 93pt pace or 1.14pts/gm
2020-21: 67pts in 55 games - 100pt pace or 1.22pts/gm
2021-22: 97pts in 72 games - 110pt pace or 1.35pts/gm
2022-23: 99pts in 80 games - 101pt pace or 1.24pts/gm
2023-24: 40pts in 37 games - 89pt pace or 1.08pts/gm
Jan. 8 at 1:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 8 at 1:31 p.m.
Where is this narrative that Marner did live up to his deal coming from? The season before he extended, he put up 94 points in 82 games which is 1.15pts/gm. Every year since:

2019-20: 67pts in 59 games - 93pt pace or 1.14pts/gm
2020-21: 67pts in 55 games - 100pt pace or 1.22pts/gm
2021-22: 97pts in 72 games - 110pt pace or 1.35pts/gm
2022-23: 99pts in 80 games - 101pt pace or 1.24pts/gm
2023-24: 40pts in 37 games - 89pt pace or 1.08pts/gm

Marner was berated by leafs nation for 2 years after he signed that 10.9m deal. Honestly see the same happen to Willy unless he proves this season was no fluke

Cause if marner could go from loved to villified/hated after a contract would not surprise me if same happens to Willy especially when u consider he's making more than Pasta whose better

But yea he may be the new whipping boy now if things go bad.
Jan. 8 at 1:31 p.m.
Marner was berated by leafs nation for 2 years after he signed that 10.9m deal. Honestly see the same happen to Willy unless he proves this season was no fluke

Cause if marner could go from loved to hated after a contract would not surprise me if same happens to Willy especially when u consider he's making more than Pasta whose better

But yea he may be the new whipping boy now if things go bad.

Really? I didn't get that same interpretation of the fan base's reaction. Maybe based on playoff performance...but certainly not regular season....he was the guy that was (and still is) playing both special teams as well as being swapped between Auston and Tavares' lines because he was the catalyst that could get them going.

I've never hear Marner used as a whipping boy outside of the complaints for him and Matthews following those 1st rounder playoff exits.
Jan. 8 at 2:42 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: Random2152
I disagree. Here is what I have written for the actual contract thread:

First of all, Nylander is worth 11 mil. I've been saying this for a long time now. If you don't think so - you're simply wrong

Second, he signed at a similar cap% as comparable wingers at the time like Benn, Stone, and Perry. Don't let the raw number fool you this isnt out of the blue.

Third and most importantly, Trev completely ****ed this negotiation up. If they were scared Nylander might walk - the time to "cave in" was in the summer. As it stands Nylander is at peak value and there is no reason to cave now 30 some odd games after refusing to go above 9mil. They should have waited out the year and let Reinhart get a comparable deal or let Willie cool off. Even if he didn't they could always just pay him this in June no problem. No one in the league can match 92 million dollars!

There was no risk!

What a horrible GM Trev has turned out to be. Worst fears confirmed about him

Fourth, I am very exited to have Willie be a life long leaf. Amazing player who has the perfect mentality for the market. Ideal Leaf and for that reason its still a good deal even with Trev being a panicky idiot.

I expect CF to vote it down. They also voted down both Matthews deals so that should tell you how little you should value that

Of course there are the usual worries about deals like this aging but I don't see any reason to suggest the risk is any more than any other comparable star so whatever. Would have liked us to get this down to 5 or 6 years given the aav, but I'll live with it.

GDVC7IAWgAI_jSc?format=jpg&name=small

I figure he will drop down to somewhere around a point per game to a 100 point pace for the next few years, and that's fine for what he will cost

This cap percentage thing needs to stop. Because while yes, the cap is going up, what will also be happening is Willy will be getting older and in turn probably getting worse. Are we really expecting him to be putting up the numbers he’s putting up now when he’s 35?

I agree with Tre messing up with this deal. I’ve liked him for the most part so far but he messed up big time on this deal. I’m not even blaming Willy for not taking a pay cut. But this deal is not a team friendly contract.

Is Panarin a bad contract?

Similar career trajectory...signed after the 2019 after his first 90+ point season....and for 14.29% of the cap at the time. Or do we just look at him and his contract as 'ok' because NYR is more balanced in net and on D?

See above for my note on the whole percentage thing

Ehhh at the time I did think it was a bad contract yes. If Willy can follow Pararin in terms of how he does then I think this contract will turn out fine. But there’s no guarantee that he will
oneX liked this.
Jan. 8 at 2:46 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
I feel like I need to put it out there so I don’t just seem like a Nylander hater: I’m still happy he’s sticking around. I’d way rather spend that money on him than the majority of other players in the NHL. But it’s really not debatable that this contract heavily favours the player over the team.
Juice and oneX liked this.
Jan. 8 at 3:14 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Leafs will need 2+ Marlies to make the jump next season
oneX liked this.
Jan. 8 at 3:19 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Saskleaf
This cap percentage thing needs to stop. Because while yes, the cap is going up, what will also be happening is Willy will be getting older and in turn probably getting worse. Are we really expecting him to be putting up the numbers he’s putting up now when he’s 35?

I agree with Tre messing up with this deal. I’ve liked him for the most part so far but he messed up big time on this deal. I’m not even blaming Willy for not taking a pay cut. But this deal is not a team friendly contract.

See above for my note on the whole percentage thing

Ehhh at the time I did think it was a bad contract yes. If Willy can follow Pararin in terms of how he does then I think this contract will turn out fine. But there’s no guarantee that he will

What do you mean stop with the cap% thing.
The entire cap is a %.
The face value of a contract is meaningless! Every contract is negotiated as a % of the cap, both relative to comparable contracts and also relative to league earnings. The % is literally all that matters
Juice liked this.
Jan. 8 at 3:20 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Trickster

I reckon its about 1.5 every year that needs to step up in order for our depth to continue being fine
Jan. 8 at 3:34 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: Random2152
What do you mean stop with the cap% thing.
The entire cap is a %.
The face value of a contract is meaningless! Every contract is negotiated as a % of the cap, both relative to comparable contracts and also relative to league earnings. The % is literally all that matters

My point is we need to stop justifying this contract by saying that the cap is going to go up closer to the end. Because chances are Nylander is also going to be worse closer to the end.
oneX liked this.
Jan. 8 at 3:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Trickster

Not entirely but there gonna need cheap guys for the 4th line

Made a team with Willy at 11.5m and basically its gonna come down to this

One of Bertuzzi or Domi is gone
Jan. 8 at 3:46 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Saskleaf
My point is we need to stop justifying this contract by saying that the cap is going to go up closer to the end. Because chances are Nylander is also going to be worse closer to the end.

That isn't what cap % means dude. I never made that argument
Jan. 8 at 3:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Gonna miss Bertuzzi lul

He and JT looked so good together. Unless he takes a haircut at 4.25m like Toffoli I cant see him staying
Jan. 8 at 4:08 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Gonna miss Bertuzzi lul

He and JT looked so good together. Unless he takes a haircut at 4.25m like Toffoli I cant see him staying

We have over 20 mil. Relax
Jan. 8 at 4:16 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I really hope that the Leafs rely on Steeves to be an NHLer next season. He's been consistently great with the Marlies since arriving and is everything our third line needs

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll