Forums/Armchair-GM

Fire JBB

Created by: Jukinators
Team: 2024-25 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 2, 2024
Published: Jan. 2, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
JBB has a lot to do this offseason, This team just simply doesn't have it. Changes need to be made both coaching wise and player.

UFA-

ABB- had a good start of his season but slowly turning invisible on the ice, him and Eyssimont have similar play styles and we can have both of them out there at the same time cause nothing gets generated offensively and they both aren't great defensively so either try and separate them or keep ABB around if anyone goes down. Don't let his numbers from early on fool you any player on a line with Kuch will get good numbers look what happens when he is in the bottom 6, nothing.

Motte- doesn't matter if this guy puts up 1 point all year he provides the one thing this team needs desperately which is motivation. Motte and glendenning are the only 2 players I can truly rely on this year which should tell you everything you need to know about this season. bring Motte back, have him play pk because if our pk hadn't been so we might be a 10 win team as of now.

Stamkos- I have absolutely hated stammers play this season, don't let his miracle game vs the oilers fool you he has been flat out invisible most nights. When Cooper decides to run Kuch-point-stammer is the only time you have a chance of seeing a Stamkos goal 5 on 5. Playing with Corelli and now Hagel has turned him into a secondary assist merchant. Im not saying he's incapable of getting out of this slump but I'm not willing to waste years and money on keeping the family together, especially when JBB has been so quick to get rid of everyone else (even though most couldn't be afforded). If you can't get stammer under 4.5 or around the 5ish area I would let him walk.

Steeler- Tampa loves running at least 3 of both handed dmen, fluery has been better these past couple weeks but he isn't. everyday guy, Day also won't see NHL time so JBB has to go out and get a good left shot dman to play in the top 6, this is where steeler comes in to play some much needed defense for vasy

Tofolli- if stammer leaves we would need a new right handed sniper to put on PP1 and the 2nd line, get him the money he wants along as its 1.5 less than what stammer wants id much rather save the money

Defensemen-
Perbix- extremely disappointing season so far, it looks like he has little to no confidence in every decision he makes. If this team is gonna have a shot we need both him and Raddysh to play like they were last year.

Sergachev- Im not sure what has happened turnover wise. Idk if he's lost confidence after underperforming this season after having a phenomenal season last year. I think Coop should just put him on PP1 for a couple games let him remind himself of the player he can be and hope it correlates to his defensive game as well because the way he's played this season is not sustainable for a 8.5 mil defenseman.

Hedman- phenomenal comeback after last year although we've seen him trade his defense for offense this year. He's gotten caught a lot this season and its hurt us but can't put to much blame.

Cernak- one of the worst contracts Tampa has had in a long time, we need Alot more out of him

Offense-

Kuch- little to no defense played but who cares when he contributes to every goal we get

point- good but not great, slow start to the season definitely affecting his numbers but its pointer gotta love him

Hagel- if every player played like Hagel ( besides the past 10 games or so) this team would be just like it was in 2021. Plays hard every shift, can play PP1 and Pk1 while on line 1. Great contract by JBB

Cirelli- it just looks like he's not trying, ik a lot of people are hating on his contract but I still think he can and will be worth that money

Paul- doesn't look the same as he did last year. He looked unstoppable when he used his size to hit shoot and just cause chaos but he just hasn't done that as much this year. Like I said playing with Kuch and being on PP1 will make anyones stats look good.

Eyssimont- like the way he plays, prioritizes offense but doesn't have the best weapons around him to put up a lot of points. would rather see him get top 6 time rather than ABB

Jeannot- if take backs were a thing than JBB should definitely do it. Just not at all worth It idc how many hits he has. Id love to see him shoot more but the grind style the bottom 6 plays doesn't allow for that.

Goalies-
Vasy- feel bad for him but also has been awful when It comes to some of these goals being let in

Trades:
Sheary- what does he even do

Sissons- player you can put with Jeannot maybe remind him of how he used to play but mostly needed because Tampa has wayyyy to many lefties on offense
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$850,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,200,000
2$2,000,000
3$5,200,000
2$825,000
Trades
TBL
  1. 2024 5th round pick (PIT)
NSH
  1. Gauthier, Ethan
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (TBL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$86,875,476$0$57,500$824,524
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
UFA - 8
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$6,250,000$6,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$5,200,000$5,200,000
RW, LW
UFA
$2,665,000$2,665,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$2,857,143$2,857,143
C, RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LW, RW
UFA
$800,000$800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, LW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$975,000$975,000
RD
UFA - 2
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$5,200,000$5,200,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LW
RFA
$828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 2 at 3:19 p.m.
Stovetop
Sharks obviously pass
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Jan. 2 at 3:21 p.m.
Quoting: AStovetop
Sharks obviously pass

Could be replaced by any bottom feeder team
Jan. 2 at 3:23 p.m.
Preds accept
Jan. 2 at 3:24 p.m.
Stovetop
Quoting: Jukinators
Could be replaced by any bottom feeder team

No bottom feeder is giving up a pick for a depth guy who's 31 with 2 mil with multiples years left.
Jan. 2 at 3:29 p.m.
No bottom feeder is giving up a pick for a depth guy who's 31 with 2 mil with multiples years left.

It’s 2 mil you do not get picks to take on a 2 year 2 mil contract
Jan. 2 at 3:44 p.m.
Stovetop
It’s 2 mil you do not get picks to take on a 2 year 2 mil contract

Uh yeah, you absolutely would. Or at the very least future considerations. Considering there's better players with lower AAV and shorter term that have cleared waivers (in other words, guys that a team could get for FREE) there's no way teams are going to take on a contract like this, let alone pay for it
AnonymousSensFan liked this.
Jan. 2 at 3:50 p.m.
Uh yeah, you absolutely would. Or at the very least future considerations. Considering there's better players with lower AAV and shorter term that have cleared waivers (in other words, guys that a team could get for FREE) there's no way teams are going to take on a contract like this, let alone pay for it

Sheary is not awful just been injury ridden could help ur sharks reach the cap floor
Jan. 2 at 3:57 p.m.
Stovetop
Sheary is not awful just been injury ridden could help ur sharks reach the cap floor

They won't have a problem with that, especially if Barabanov or Duclair end up signing extensions.

They're not going to waste a roster spot on player like him just so they can get to the cap floor. They'll be integrating guys like Bordeleau, Bystedt, Robins, Gushchin, possibly Smith, etc. full time next season
Jan. 2 at 3:58 p.m.
They won't have a problem with that, especially if Barabanov or Duclair end up signing extensions.

They're not going to waste a roster spot on player like him just so they can get to the cap floor. They'll be integrating guys like Bordeleau, Bystedt, Robins, Gushchin, possibly Smith, etc. full time next season

Both those guys are gone once the door opens
Jan. 2 at 4:13 p.m.
Miss YA Killer
I'm going to quote the late great Fred Gwynne as Judge Chamberlain Haller in "My Cousin Vinny" on your analysis of the team. "Are you on drugs?"
Jan. 2 at 4:14 p.m.
boltsfan71
jbb is so bad its crazy
Jan. 2 at 4:17 p.m.
Quoting: Boltsradynasty
I'm going to quote the late great Fred Gwynne as Judge Chamberlain Haller in "My Cousin Vinny" on your analysis of the team. "Are you on drugs?"

What did I get even close to wring about this team lol
Jan. 2 at 4:27 p.m.
Long winded response here. It's too early for me to make any decisions about our lineup for next year.

Firstly, what are you expecting from ABB? He's been in a slow transition to the NHL over the last few years, he has shown potential. We've kept him this long, no reason to just bail on him now. Also, Eyssimont is very good defensively, I'm not sure what games you're watching.

Motte I agree with, but again it's too early to pencil him into next year's lineup, even if he is a league minimum level veteran.

While Stamkos has struggled at points 5v5 this year, I won't get too deep into him. He's still the face of the franchise. You have to bring him back. He still brings immeasurable value to the team in a multitude of ways.

Won't comment on Seeler or Toffoli.

Perbix has had his struggles this year. He has the tools, but his confidence and motivation is being affected by the overall team, leadership, and coaching being unfocused, undisciplined, and down right lazy. I believe this has serious effect on his mentality, especially defensively.

I think you can pick apart the rest of Hedman, Sergachev, and Cernak, but I won't. They also have the tools and the track record, it's just a matter of the teams mentality right now. And right now we're seeing it falter.

Kucherov, agreed. Absolutely zero focus on defense. It's a trickle down effect though. He doesn't care about defense and the rest of the team follows suit.

Hagel agree. He brings it more than most nearly every night.

Cirelli just needs to find offensive confidence.

Paul honestly idk what the deal is. Looks phenomenal one game and then invisible the next. Still overall he's in the positive tho.

Eyssimont completely agree. Cooper is completely stonewalling him, for whatever reason, and it's hindering the team. He has legitimate top 6 talent and if he played with Point and Kucherov, or Stamkos and had a more regular role up the lineup, I guarantee he would produce even more than he already does being shuffled all over the place.

Jeannot has played better than last year but I agree he needs to bring more to the table with his overall game. He needs to have a bigger offensive impact and needs to be a solid defensive option.

Vasy who knows. There's many ways you can look at his play this year so I'll leave that alone.

Sheary. Absolutely. He has been invisible so far for us. Something needs to change for him to find his game or place on the team. Not quite sure what that is yet. As far as trading him, pretty unlikely that it happens unless he doesn't score a single point between now and the deadline and is a downright liability. Even then I doubt he gets moved.

Agree about the lefties on offense. However can't see Nashville trading Sissons. He's a great veteran for them, even tho this is a good package for him. Would be nice to have Sissons, but I'd much rather keep this package, EG is a great prospect.

As far as my thoughts on the team. I don't think this roster is as horrible as fans and people are making it seem. Sure there are weaknesses or areas we could upgrade. But overall I think there's plenty enough here to work with and be competitive in the playoffs.

The real issue with the team is overall focus, discipline for a complete 200 foot game, effort, and complete buy in. For me it's still too early to hit a panic button. Leadership and Coaching needs to get their mentality in order if we are to do anything with this season. I still think we make the playoffs, even if we continue to be as middling as we have been. We'll probably catch a streak and that'll give us enough of a push to get in. But in total, the team just needs to get it's head on straight. I like our odds to compete in the east if that happens.
LordStanlersCup liked this.
Jan. 2 at 4:38 p.m.
Miss YA Killer
What did I get even close to wring about this team lol

I'm going to save myself time and reverse answer. What you got right is a much shorter list.
Motte.Steller,Hagel Eyssimont Sergachev and Hedman a little
Jan. 2 at 4:39 p.m.
CapEvasionEnthusiast
I can't see Sheary agreeing to a trade to a Californian or Canadian team (taxes, weather, whatever the excuse is) even with an M-NTC next year. Has to be a contender and my best guess is if he goes somewhere it's either the Devils or Stars just for contender status and veteran presence. Don't expect anything crazy or anything at all in return though, especially if it's a cap dump.

Considering we practically gave up Colton for the pick that became Gauthier, moving a really good young prospect and a draft asset (both of which are already scarce for this team) for a 30 year old Sissons while Nashville already owns half of our draft class isn't the best move, especially if it's just to get one player going again. Gauthier will probably have the higher skill ceiling than Sissons, and he just got signed to an ELC- He's surely in the Lightning's long-term plans. There are better and younger options than Sissons available either in FA or through Syracuse if given a full season.

but I'm not willing to waste years and money on keeping the family together

So then why is Barre-Boulet still here?? If he's invisible, especially in the bottom six, why are we bringing him back at 1.2M when there are much more effective players that could fill his role or have been waiting in Syracuse like Groshev, Goncalves, or Fortier? The ABB NHLer experience should have been long over, and bringing him back at a more expensive cap hit does nothing for this team, even in a bottom six role.
Jan. 2 at 4:48 p.m.
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
Long winded response here. It's too early for me to make any decisions about our lineup for next year.

Firstly, what are you expecting from ABB? He's been in a slow transition to the NHL over the last few years, he has shown potential. We've kept him this long, no reason to just bail on him now. Also, Eyssimont is very good defensively, I'm not sure what games you're watching.

Motte I agree with, but again it's too early to pencil him into next year's lineup, even if he is a league minimum level veteran.

While Stamkos has struggled at points 5v5 this year, I won't get too deep into him. He's still the face of the franchise. You have to bring him back. He still brings immeasurable value to the team in a multitude of ways.

Perbix has had his struggles this year. He has the tools, but his confidence and motivation is being affected by the overall team, leadership, and coaching being unfocused, undisciplined, and down right lazy. I believe this has serious effect on his mentality, especially defensively.

I think you can pick apart the rest of Hedman, Sergachev, and Cernak, but I won't. They also have the tools and the track record, it's just a matter of the teams mentality right now. And right now we're seeing it falter.

Kucherov, agreed. Absolutely zero focus on defense. It's a trickle down effect though. He doesn't care about defense and the rest of the team follows suit.

Paul honestly idk what the deal is. Looks phenomenal one game and then invisible the next. Still overall he's in the positive tho.

Eyssimont completely agree. Cooper is completely stonewalling him, for whatever reason, and it's hindering the team. He has legitimate top 6 talent and if he played with Point and Kucherov, or Stamkos and had a more regular role up the lineup, I guarantee he would produce even more than he already does being shuffled all over the place.

Jeannot has played better than last year but I agree he needs to bring more to the table with his overall game. He needs to have a bigger offensive impact and needs to be a solid defensive option.

Vasy who knows. There's many ways you can look at his play this year so I'll leave that alone.

Sheary. Absolutely. He has been invisible so far for us. Something needs to change for him to find his game or place on the team. Not quite sure what that is yet. As far as trading him, pretty unlikely that it happens unless he doesn't score a single point between now and the deadline and is a downright liability. Even then I doubt he gets moved.

Agree about the lefties on offense. However can't see Nashville trading Sissons. He's a great veteran for them, even tho this is a good package for him. Would be nice to have Sissons, but I'd much rather keep this package, EG is a great prospect.

As far as my thoughts on the team. I don't think this roster is as horrible as fans and people are making it seem. Sure there are weaknesses or areas we could upgrade. But overall I think there's plenty enough here to work with and be competitive in the playoffs.

The real issue with the team is overall focus, discipline for a complete 200 foot game, effort, and complete buy in. For me it's still too early to hit a panic button. Leadership and Coaching needs to get their mentality in order if we are to do anything with this season. I still think we make the playoffs, even if we continue to be as middling as we have been. We'll probably catch a streak and that'll give us enough of a push to get in. But in total, the team just needs to get it's head on straight. I like our odds to compete in the east if that happens.

Appreciate the response, I didn’t say eyssiemont was bad defensively just not great, he’s always looking to spring out the zone early and get in behind their defense.

I didn’t give up on ABB I still have him in the roster just don’t wanna see him get top 6 minutes when cooper inevitably changes the lines every practice.
Jan. 2 at 4:51 p.m.
Quoting: Brolekb2b
I can't see Sheary agreeing to a trade to a Californian or Canadian team (taxes, weather, whatever the excuse is) even with an M-NTC next year. Has to be a contender and my best guess is if he goes somewhere it's either the Devils or Stars just for contender status and veteran presence. Don't expect anything crazy or anything at all in return though, especially if it's a cap dump.

Considering we practically gave up Colton for the pick that became Gauthier, moving a really good young prospect and a draft asset (both of which are already scarce for this team) for a 30 year old Sissons while Nashville already owns half of our draft class isn't the best move, especially if it's just to get one player going again. Gauthier will probably have the higher skill ceiling than Sissons, and he just got signed to an ELC- He's surely in the Lightning's long-term plans. There are better and younger options than Sissons available either in FA or through Syracuse if given a full season.

So then why is Barre-Boulet still here?? If he's invisible, especially in the bottom six, why are we bringing him back at 1.2M when there are much more effective players that could fill his role or have been waiting in Syracuse like Groshev, Goncalves, or Fortier? The ABB NHLer experience should have been long over, and bringing him back at a more expensive cap hit does nothing for this team, even in a bottom six role.

I honestly only brought ABB back to have someone with semi scoring ability on the 4th line. The school bus line and this bottom line is usually good for 10-15 goals a year so it gives him a chance to stay around and still play pp2 even though Kuch doesn’t change
Jan. 2 at 4:53 p.m.
I'm going to save myself time and reverse answer. What you got right is a much shorter list.
Motte.Steller,Hagel Eyssimont Sergachev and Hedman a little

So you think cernaks contract isn’t awful, kuch plays defense, point looks like the point we all know, jeannot has been worth that haul, cirelli hasn’t underperformed immensely, Paul doesn’t go invisible every other game. I’m your eyes this team must be perfect why are they so damn awful then?
Jan. 2 at 4:54 p.m.
CapEvasionEnthusiast
I honestly only brought ABB back to have someone with semi scoring ability on the 4th line. The school bus line and this bottom line is usually good for 10-15 goals a year so it gives him a chance to stay around and still play pp2 even though Kuch doesn’t change

Would rather try cheaper caphits like Fortier/Goncalves on 4LW to start with Glendening-Motte, or plug Groshev in the top six and have Jeannot play 4RW with Glendening and Motte and invest the 1.2M elsewhere.
Jan. 2 at 4:56 p.m.
Quoting: Brolekb2b
Would rather try cheaper caphits like Fortier/Goncalves on 4LW to start with Glendening-Motte, or plug Groshev in the top six and have Jeannot play 4RW with Glendening and Motte and invest the 1.2M elsewhere.

I agree I’d rather gage be in the Lineup over ABB rn but I just don’t see them throwing him out the roster, lower the AAV a little if u want
Jan. 2 at 5:16 p.m.
Miss YA Killer
So you think cernaks contract isn’t awful, kuch plays defense, point looks like the point we all know, jeannot has been worth that haul, cirelli hasn’t underperformed immensely, Paul doesn’t go invisible every other game. I’m your eyes this team must be perfect why are they so damn awful then?

Kucherov isn't Selke caliber,but doesn't play defense is an assinine statement. He's very good at taking away. Jeannot was hurt all of his time here last year and hasn't been giving the proper opportunity to do more. Cernak couldn't disagree with you more very fair for a top pairing shutdown Rd. Is the team perfect no but these are a few points I disagree with as I said earlier I'm not spending a bunch of time explaining your awful analysis.
Jan. 2 at 5:32 p.m.
Kucherov isn't Selke caliber,but doesn't play defense is an assinine statement. He's very good at taking away. Jeannot was hurt all of his time here last year and hasn't been giving the proper opportunity to do more. Cernak couldn't disagree with you more very fair for a top pairing shutdown Rd. Is the team perfect no but these are a few points I disagree with as I said earlier I'm not spending a bunch of time explaining your awful analysis.

I’m not sure if you’ve actually watched kuxherov when he doesn’t have the puck on his stick he goes no more than 3mph. As far as jeannot he’s getting pp2 time he’s not a top 6 player what other opportunities do you want? I just think you have no reasoning that’s why u won’t go in depth your hiding behind a false hope that this team has it.
Jan. 2 at 5:32 p.m.
Stovetop
Both those guys are gone once the door opens

Both love it in SJ and one will likely be traded and the other would be extended (unless the price is right and both get traded). Either way, it makes zero sense for a non-competitive team take on that contract as it's not enough to be a contract to get you to the Cap floor, and too much to justify taking a roster spot from a young player who needs minutes in the NHL to develop. If he adds value to a teams roster then it would make more sense for a bubble team to kick tires on him, no?
Jan. 2 at 6:42 p.m.
ABB- yes his offense has dropped off but he has been producing the same as the other players in the bottom 6 and has really improved defensively blocking passing lanes and on the forecheck. For league minimum he is about as good as you could get
Motte- agree
Stamkos- agree
Seeler- agree
Toffoli- would be a nice addition but would rather spend the cap on defense, the PP spot could go to huuhtanen. Its obviously a risk but we dont have a lot of options
Perbix- agree
sergachev- This is probably a hot take but I think sergachev has always been bad, he is mostly carried by secondary assists on that PP and is awful defensively. I would rather have any other defenseman on that powerplay because he has a tendency to shoot the puck when kuch and stammer are both open and there is no screen in front of the net, just giving the puck away.
Hedman- I think the only reason last year was considered bad for him was because he wasnt quarterbacking PP1, whoever the defenseman is that is running that powerplay gets all of the points and it doesnt really say anything about their game in my opinion. His defense has been awful but its hard to tell if thats the systems fault or his or both.
Cernak- he is definitely a cassualty of the system they are running, he is so much better than this
kuch- he backchecks a little bit sometimes, especially if he is close to the other player on transition but he is invisible on the forecheck
point- agree
hagel- mostly agree but him on PP1 doesnt work, we need a right handed shooter in the spot the way that it is run
cirelli- early on in the season i would agree but lately he has been great both offensively and defensively
Paul- he still puts in the effort and is a solid player but has been losing more puck battles recently
eyssimont- agree
jeannot- I would take it a step further and say he is one of the biggest liabilities on the team. Constantly coughing up the puck, has zero tenacity in his forecheck or backcheck, not a good skater and most of his goals are fluky imo. I honestly think watson is better
vasy- he has been streaky, some games he looks unstoppable and others he hasnt been up to par. Also he still is very vulnerable when getting screened
sheary- before the injury he was probably the worst forward on the team but since coming back I think he has actually been pretty good
sissons- I personally wouldnt give up gauthier for, I think we could sign a similar player through FA
I would expect some of the prospects to make the team next season: goncalves and thompson at the very least but possibly howard, huuhtanen, groshev, or lilleberg depending on how their training camps go.

The biggest problem I dont see being mentioned here is how awful the defensive scheme they are running is. Jeff Blashill is making this defense look like one of the worst in the NHL. From the constant backing up at the blueline to the playing deep in the zone and letting the other team cycle the puck uncontested and letting them stand in front of our goalie with no pushback, its terrible. Its easy to tell its a system thing too because every single defenseman on the team is doing it and they didnt use to before his arrival. He was a terrible head coach in detroit and he should not have been hired just because he was coopers friend.
Jukinators and Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Jan. 2 at 6:53 p.m.
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos

I agree with mostly everything but I think the main problem with this team is Jeff blashill and the defensive scheme, my expectations are much lower if we decide to keep him. I honestly wouldnt even be suprised if we end up getting our top 10 pick back if he stays as the defensive assistant coach. This team rides on emotion and streaks and I could see them either picking it up or spiraling very fast if kuch stops producing

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll