SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed William Nylander (8 Years / $11,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 10 at 3:21 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Danny12357
This is a bad take, and not backed up by evidence.

Dubas signed Willy to a $7M contract where he averaged 33G - & 77Pts per 82 Games so far over the life of that contract. Likely finishes that deal ahead of that pace. Excellent value.

Marner signed for $10.9M, average 32G & 98 pts per 82GP so far over the life of that contract, again excellent value.

Matthews signed for 11.6M and average an ridiculous 59 goals & 103pts per 82GP over that contract, and seems intent on pushing that higher again this year. Excellent value.

Treliving is the one of the two GMs with a penchant for signing bad deals to players near and entering their 30's, so I don't really get how this contract is somehow Dubas mess, given that the track record of the two GMs would indicate which of them has been better at managing the cap, and it's clearly Dubas, as BT's track record in that regard speaks for itself.

Just to add, success at the cap really can only be measured with success on the ice. Virtually all teams spend to the cap. Dubas's Leafs made the playoffs every year and one playoff round.
Trevling's Flames missed the playoffs as much as they made it. Trevling two signings of Huberdeau and Kadri should have excluded him from ever being an NHL GM again.

I was no fan of Dubas with his TDL trades and some poor signings, but certainly he did better than Trevling.

PS like your analysis.
RawDeal liked this.
Jan. 10 at 6:58 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: palhal
Just to add, success at the cap really can only be measured with success on the ice. Virtually all teams spend to the cap. Dubas's Leafs made the playoffs every year and one playoff round.
Trevling's Flames missed the playoffs as much as they made it. Trevling two signings of Huberdeau and Kadri should have excluded him from ever being an NHL GM again.

I was no fan of Dubas with his TDL trades and some poor signings, but certainly he did better than Trevling.

PS like your analysis.

Treliving's signings of Kadri and Huberdeau were market value on UFAs.

The Marner contract by dubas was the worst negotiating skills I've ever seen from a GM.

There was simply no basis, no logic, no comparable, and no leverage to justify giving Marner that deal.
trademaster20 liked this.
Jan. 10 at 8:39 p.m.
Trevling cost his team $1 million in cap space by trying to lowball Nylander in the summer with talk of $9ish million AAV when Nylander was asking for the Huberdeau style contract. Now Nylander gets a contract worth $1 million more than Huberdeau.
Jan. 12 at 12:00 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

PS like your analysis.

I appreciate it. I think Dubas was a good GM, very good when factoring in his lack of experience, but he wasn't "The best GM" and like every GM in hockey, he had things he did really well, and things he didn't do as well. Signing contracts was actually a strength, and his trades were often creative. But he seemed to also know what his image was, and he seemed to resent it and sometimes make moves that made no sense just to offset that image. Whether it was selling the farm for a broken foligno to show how much he cares about grit and character, or forcing a trade due to optics like when he traded away Kadri.

I don't get why every analysis of every GM is they were either the GOAT or they sucked. Need to be more room for nuance and critique where you can say something positive or negative about a GM without painting every decision they make in one particular light. No GM has a 100% hit it out of the park track record.
RawDeal liked this.
Jan. 13 at 11:50 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Trevling cost his team $1 million in cap space by trying to lowball Nylander in the summer with talk of $9ish million AAV when Nylander was asking for the Huberdeau style contract. Now Nylander gets a contract worth $1 million more than Huberdeau.

That was media guessing on his AAV; none of that was leaked from anyone with insider info that he would have signed that deal then.
Jan. 18 at 11:54 a.m.
Peter grew old and weary and eventually settled down. One day his wife gave birth to a boy. A son. Mitchell.

Eventually Paul too was blessed with a child. He too had a son. William.
Jan. 18 at 5:51 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Hat_Trick_Swayze
Peter grew old and weary and eventually settled down. One day his wife gave birth to a boy. A son. Mitchell.

Eventually Paul too was blessed with a child. He too had a son. William.

I’m sorry to say that I don’t get it lol
Jan. 18 at 10:08 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
I’m sorry to say that I don’t get it lol

An ancient idiom "to rob Peter to pay Paul" dating back to the early days of the Maple Leafs cup drought. Peter and Paul couldn't wait around any longer.

I'm just implying this contract will significantly handcuff Toronto more in the Marner negotiations.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 18 at 10:09 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Hat_Trick_Swayze
An ancient idiom "to rob Peter to pay Paul" dating back to the early days of the Maple Leafs cup drought. Peter and Paul couldn't wait around any longer.

I'm just implying this contract will significantly handcuff Toronto more in the Marner negotiations.

Ahh I see lol
Jan. 18 at 10:28 p.m.
torontos finest
he got 2 assists tonight he's back to being worth 15 trillion dollars
Jan. 19 at 2:20 p.m.
SvechAhoMacMakar
This Would be fine without the term on NMC...
Jan. 21 at 11:07 p.m.
Petterson's agent doing cartwheels!
Mar. 15 at 10:10 a.m.
In what universe is Nylander worth more than Pastrnak? Not the one in which the games I’ve been watching are played. Pastrnak has been a consistently more impactful player than Nylander for a lot more years. I suppose you could attribute the difference in dollars to a year of inflation, but even if you believe that, Nylander’s contract is worth significantly more than Pastrnak’s because:

1) Nylander’s contract includes his age 35 year versus Pastrnak’s age 27 year.
2) Nylander has a full no-move clause for all 8 years of the contract. Pastrnak only got that for the first 5 years.
3) 75% of Nylander’s contract is signing bonuses, and in years 7 & 8 it’s closer to 90%, making it buyout proof. Pastrnak’s is only 29%, and that goes down toward the end of the contract when they’re more likely to want to buy it out.

This contract is structured the same as the Tavares contract that everybody hates, only it’s worse because it runs a year longer. (Tavares’s contract also started with his age 28 year.) How are the Leafs ever going to compete with the Bruins when they give out bigger contracts to players with a lesser body of work?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit